• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 4,514 Views, 175 Comments

Saddlebags, Sun, and On the Run (Book 2) - LotusTeaDragon



Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and the rest of the Mane Six travel to Los Pegasus on vacation together.

  • ...
7
 175
 4,514

Applewood

CHAPTER THREE
Applewood


"Tarnation. Would ya look at that!"
"It's the most beautiful sight I have ever seen!"
"I don't see any libraries here."
"I don't think they do libraries in Applewood, Twilight, but there is a bookstore."
"Hey, a billboard of the Wonderbolts!"
"It's a bit noisy."
"LOOK AT ALL THE SHINY THINGS!"

The Mane Six (and Spike) stood in the center of Applewood and Shetland, staring at all of the new sights and listening to all of the new sounds. They could smell the fragrances, see the lights, and hear the bustling of ponies everywhere, emanating from more than a hundred boutiques, nightclubs, and restaurants. It was, in short, a cacophony, a feast, an overload of the senses.

"So where do we start? I wouldn't mind visiting that bookstore, myself!" Twilight's voice was the first to speak up after the silence brought on by the sheer spectacle of what they were experiencing.

"Oh, my! We simply must start at the Boutique Equestria!" Rarity said, clopping her hooves together, and pointing toward an elegantly decorated jewelry shop located across the traffic laden thoroughfare from where they were standing.

Fluttershy spoke up quietly, "I would like to see that, too, if, oh you know, it isn't any bother. You don't have to, I mean..." she trailed off. Rarity smiled at her butter yellow friend.

"I would like to see the inside of the Hard Clop Cafe. It looks awesome!" Rainbow Dash said, raising her hoof in the process and pointing to the brick building, "I mean, look! They've even got a Mustang that looks like it busted through the wall!"

"Hey, I wouldn't mind takin' a gander at that mahself!" Applejack said, patting Rainbow Dash on the back.

"Oh, cool! An Applewood Studio Tour Bus! I want to see the stars, Twilight!" Spike piped up, tugging at Twilight's mane like an overexcited foal begging it's mother for a candy bar.


"THERE'SABAKERYRIGHTTHERETWILIGHTIWANNAGOSEETHATSEEYALATERBYEEEEEEEE!" Pinkie Pie called out as she bounced away from the group, and toward the bakery a block down the avenue from where they were standing.

"Pinkie!" Twilight called out, but it was too late. The party pony darted right into traffic.

Everypony watched in horror as Pinkie Pie bounced in between the carriages, causing ponies to swerve, missing her by mere centimeters. Other carriages weren't so lucky, and ran aground on embankments, into flower gardens, one of them even crashed into a newsstand. The remaining five ponies (and dragon) cringed as the pink pony, unaware, continued leaving her path of unintended destruction behind her as she darted into the bakery. A moment later, the angry drivers ranted, shook their hooves at the pink mare's receding tail, and then continued about their business, used to such craziness in the big city.

Sighing, Twilight looked to the others and continued. "Since we all want to see different sites, and since Pinkie Pie has already made her choice", she added with a momentary scowl of annoyance before returning to her hopeful expression, "how about we take some time and visit our respective interests?"

Twilight and Spike standing next to one another as Twilight added, "and we can all meet up at the Starred Buck Coffee Shop in an hour."

They all nodded in agreement, smiles on their faces as they paired up. Applejack and Rainbow Dash heading to the Hard Clop Cafe, Rarity and Fluttershy already gushing over the jewelry boutique, and Twilight starting off toward the bookstore.

As they waited at the crosswalk, Spike patted Twilight's side. "Hey Twi, can we go on a bus tour and see the celebrities?"

Twilight turned toward the diminutive dragon. "I'm not sure, Spike. I've never really been interested in celebrities and such. It wouldn't interest me. I mean, if you wanted to go later, we could, but I really want to see this bookstore!"

Spike took on a plaintive look, and his voice cracked in desperation. "Come on, Twilight! I spend all of my time in the librar-eh, heh," he began to falter a bit as Twilight frowned at that, "I mean, as your number one assistant, don't I deserve to see something cool, too?"

"I know how you feel, Spike, but no offense, you're a baby dragon and this is a big city. You know I want you to be safe."

The pedestrian sign switched to a walking pony, and they stopped their conversation long enough to hurriedly make their way across the street. As they stepped onto the sidewalk at the opposite side, Spike pointed to the tour guide standing near the bus. "You could ask the guide if it's safe."

Twilight scratched her chin with her hoof, appearing to be deep in concentration. "Very well, let's ask the tour guide."

They trotted over to the waiting guide pony.

"Excuse me, sir", Twilight began, as the guide pony gave them his attention, "My assistant here wishes to see Applewood celebrities, but as a concerned guardian, I would like to know the chances of his being put in harm's way. You understand, I'm sure."

The guide pony smiled. "Oh, certainly, Ma'am. The tour is completely safe. All tourists stay on the bus as we travel around to see the various homes and places of interest visited by celebrities. No one is allowed to leave the bus, and no one else is allowed to get on the bus during the tour. I will also be there to supervise every tourist, and I don't allow funny business. He would be very safe. Plus, who would dare try to do anything to a dragon, even a baby one?"

Twilight considered his words for a moment, but was still unsure. Yet as she looked down into the bright green, pleading eyes of her dear friend, she couldn't just say no. He deserved some time off, too.

"Very well", she said. "You can go Spike, but do everything the tour guide says. We'll see you back here in two hours, okay? And don't go getting famous on me!" she said, chuckling at her own joke.

Spike grinned from ear to ear and clapped his claws together in anticipation, as Twilight gave the guide a few bits, hugged her number one assistant (to his slight embarrassment), and turned to walk away toward the book store, waving to him as she went. Spike waved in return, and stepped onto the bus, eager to see the sights and hopefully catch a few famous ponies. Maybe they'd even sign his scales.

<(/)*(\)>

"Oh my word, Fluttershy, look at these beautiful bangles! They're the hottest fashion in Canterlot right now, and I would just love to infuse some west coast flair into the more stuffy designs they dare to call the haute vision of pony wear." She made air quotes with her hooves and rolled her eyes, the bangle sparkling on her fetlock.

Rarity's attention moved from the trinkets before Fluttershy had a chance to glance at them, as the fashionista turned toward the wall of hats and practically exploded. If she were an energy source, she would have lit up all of Los Pegasus.

"Sapphire Shores is wearing my line of swim apparel!"

"Is that good?" the shy pegasus asked her all too excited friend.

"Oh my, yes! YES!" Rarity squee'd as she ran over to the rack next to the chapeau laden wall. In front of the rack was a cardboard cutout of Sapphire Shores, famed pony pop star, wearing the Rarity Regalia Fantastiqueâ„¢ fashion line of swim wear.

She trotted to the other side of the rack. As she did so, she accidentally bumped into a pony standing nearby.

"Oh, excuse me, I didn't mean to run into you-" Rarity began, but was cut off by the other pony.

"And I'm glad you did! Why, I have never seen such a lovely, well mannered, magnificently coiffured mare." The other pony said.

Rarity, caught off guard, took a moment to size up her new admirer before continuing. His silver coat and white mane were very well groomed. He had excellent style in clothing, from his Oatley sunglasses, down to his Arponi slacks, and Kabardin shoes.

"Why, thank you, you're too kind!" she said, blushing. "If I knew bumping into ponies would lead into such complimentary statements, I would deign to be all left hooves."

They both giggled at her joke.

The stallion cleared his throat. "My name is Chromatic Vision", he said, offering a hoof to the white mare.

She replied, taking his hoof as she spoke. "My name is Rarity." Then it hit her. "Wait, you're not the Chromatic Vision, are you?" she asked, her voice jumping half an octave in surprise.

He smiled. "Indeed, I am. Photographer for Spotted Saddle magazine, at your service, my dear."

She giggled daintily as he leaned down and kissed her hoof. "It is such a pleasure to meet you" he said, raising his eyes toward her as he did so.

Rarity let out a small squee. "I love your work, sir. Your photographs bring out the absolute beauty in each and every one of your models. I am honored to have bumped into you!" she finished, teasing in her voice.

For a few minutes, they engaged in trade talk about fashion, and Applewood in general. Rarity mentioned her fashion work in Ponyville and Canterlot. A few moments later, Fluttershy, who had been in the background, hiding behind the cardboard cutout of Sapphire Shores, stepped out to meet Rarity's new friend.

Chromatic Vision glanced over in her direction and stopped speaking. His jaw dropped. "Miss Rarity", he began, his voice returning, "is that who I think it is?"

Rarity, for her part, turned to see who had stolen Chromatic Vision's attention away from her, only to laugh at the object of his utter shock.

"Oh yes," she replied, holding a hoof to her chest, "that is Fluttershy. She is my dear friend, and yes, she was a model, though it wasn't for me", she finished, doing her best to keep the regret out of her voice.

She didn't want Fluttershy to think she harbored some ill will toward the demure pony's past career. It certainly wasn't her fault things ended up as they did. Circumstances simply lead to nothing panning out. Sometimes things just didn't work out, and there was nothing anypony could do about it.

She glanced back toward Chromatic Vision, who had tried to shake Fluttershy's hoof, only for the quiet pony back into the clothing rack from which she had previously emerged.

"She's your friend?" he asked, turning back toward Rarity.

Rarity nodded. "Oh yes. Fluttershy and I are practically inseparable."

He put his hoof to his chin. "Really? That is so very interesting, my dear. I would like to ask you a question, if I may."

"Oh, my dear Chromatic Vision, you are free to ask me any question you wish", Rarity replied, her white cheeks turning a slight shade of red, her eyelashes batting innocently.

Chromatic Vision lowered his sunglasses and said, "May I call upon your friend Fluttershy to appear in a photo shoot? She would be perfect for our new line of Etruscan Chic wear. You would be free to attend as well, to observe, of course."

The last thing Chromatic Vision remembered was the sudden, and impending, impact of a shiny, sequined, designer hoofbag rapidly approaching the edges of his periphery before the blackness took him.

<(/)*(\)>

"Okay, now get one of me sticking my tongue out at him!"

Applejack raised the camera to her eye and snapped another picture of Rainbow Dash harassing the marble statue of Moose Springsteen.

Bringing her camera back down from her face, Applejack sighed. "Is it mah turn yet? Ah haven't even had a chance ta look at nothin', Rainbow!"

Rainbow rolled her eyes, and flitted down from the top of the marble floor piece. "Okay, okay, keep your bridle on. Let's go look at that old fashioned, and boring, Johneigh Cash display."

The pair of ponies began to weave between other customers gazing at the various examples of musical history, or placing orders with the waitresses rolling around on hoofskates, pencils and notepads in their muzzles.

"Hey!" a voice called out above the din.
"Hey! Rainbow Dash!" the voice called out again, louder and more urgent in it's intensity.

This time it caught the spectral maned pony's attention, and she turned toward the sound of the faint voice. A light purple hoof was waving in their general direction.

"Someone's calling me over, AJ. Let's go check it out. It might be a fan!" Dash said, her voice rising slightly in anticipation of meeting and greeting a fan who lived in a totally different city.

"Alright, Dash, hold your horseshoes" Applejack replied, a frustrated frown on her muzzle at the latest obstruction to her getting a chance to study more about her favorite musician.

Dash, pulling on Applejack's foreleg the whole way through the crowd, finally pushed past the latest roadblock, and was finally able to see her, what must have been, desperate, and starry eyed, hopeful fan. She let go of Applejack's foreleg, rubbing her hooves together in self admiring glee, eager to see the awed face of her admirer.

Instead, she ended up standing face to face with a pony who had a light purple coat and a tri-color mane of black, purple, and silver hues.

"Violet Tempest?!" she called out in surprise, her voice rising a full octave.

"Rainbow Dash!" came the cheerful, elated reply from the pony in question. "It's so good to see you again!"

Violet Tempest grabbed Rainbow in a tight hug and squeezed, her face scrunched up against the taller pegasus' cyan chest.

Applejack, pushing past a particularly obstructive pony, and tipping her hat and offering a quick apology, turned to face the subject of her marefriend's incredulity.

"Uh, howdy", she began, "so, uh, ah hear ya are a fan o' Rainbow Dash!"

Violet Tempest raised an eyebrow, cocked a smile, and replied, "Not quite. Oh, don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Rainbow Dash, but it's not due to her aerobatic skills, it's due to her being my older sister."

Applejack smiled. "So you're Rainbow's sister, uh, Violet Tempest, am ah right?"

Violet Tempest smiled in return, and replied, "that's right! Rainbow Dash told you about me? I must admit it's a bit of a surprise. She doesn't talk about family outside of anypony she isn't really close to. You must be a good friend or something."

Applejack looked at Rainbow Dash, who had been looking toward the floor up until that moment. Dash looked up and met Applejack's emerald eyes, and nodded imperceptibly. She turned to her sister, and taking a deep breath, exhaled.

Violet looked at Dash expectantly, a questioning expression on her violet face. She didn't have any idea what to expect.

Dash's mouth was dry, and she tried to lick her lips, but her tongue was dry and didn't offer up any moisture. Instead, she breathed a quick sigh, and looked to her sister.

"Yeah, Applejack is a good friend to me, Violet. You see, she's uh, she's more than just a good friend. She's my... my marefriend."

Violet's blue eyes went wide for a moment. Dash was about to explain further, when her younger sister's mouth broke out into a huge grin, every one of her shiny, white teeth visible.

"That is so awesome!" she said, breaking into giggles. She reached out for a surprised Applejack's foreleg, and shook it vigorously. "I am so happy for you two! Oh, Dash, I always knew you'd find the right pony somewhere out there!"

Dash looked to Applejack, and back to her sister. She stretched her forelegs wide, and embraced both her marefriend, and her sister, drawing them in to her chest, a delighted cackle escaping her lips as a tear made it's way down her cheek.

"You have no idea what that means to me, kiddo!", she said a moment later, as she quickly brushed away the tear before anypony could see it.

Applejack, for her part, was sniffling and smiling at the same time. She dabbed her eyes with the corner of her hat, and slapped Violet Tempest on the back, sending the smaller pony back into Applejack's orange fur.

"Hey, hey" she said, pushing away from Applejack, while laughing and coughing. After a moment she continued. "My shift just finished. How would you like to go home with me, maybe see mom and dad?"

The warm, relieved atmosphere cooled considerably at that, but Rainbow Dash was determined to meet that problem when it showed it's ugly head, and who knows? Maybe mom and dad would be just as happy as Violet. They were good ponies. They'd welcome them both. At least, she hoped.

Hoof in hoof, the three ponies headed for the exit.

<(/)*(\)>

Pinkie Pie lay on the tiled floor of the upper crust (no pun intended) bakery, her stomach having expanded to a point where it was impossible for her to do anything as simple as rolling over. Even her breathing was labored, her face flushed, her tongue lolling out as she stared at the aghast customers, at least the ones in her field of view. Contrary to their expressions, Pinkie herself had a smile plastered on her face.

It was worth every bit.

Now if only she could move.


<(/)*(\)>

'Migratory Practices of the Ranged Hoofian Equine, A Corollary'. That sounds interesting, and would make a wonderful addition to not only the library, but my own personal collection!, Twilight thought as she levitated the large tome into her shopping bag. In truth, she had already read the first two hundred pages, but couldn't resist studying further. Considering it worth the slightly higher cost than what she would have paid in Canterlot, she looked up at the clock and saw that nearly a full hour had passed. Moving from a trot to a canter, she made her way to the checkout lane.

Oh, I hope everypony has enjoyed themselves, she thought to herself, before adding, and maybe Spike got to see a few celebrities. At the mental image of a star struck Spike, she giggled, and approached the register.

<(/)*(\)>

Spike stepped off the tour bus, and headed for the pre-arranged meeting place at the Starred Buck coffee shop just a minute up the walk. He had some stories to tell, and he couldn't wait to tell his friends. They weren't going to believe it!

<(/)*(\)>

"I don't believe it!" Twilight exclaimed, her eyebrows raised in skepticism.

"It's true, Twilight! A studio producer saw me on the bus, and asked me to model for this really cool ad campaign! They told me they liked my cool pizazz, whatever that was, and asked me to stand in front of this really neat backdrop, and so I did, and they began taking pictures of me!"

"Sure they did, Spike. That's a good 'un!" Applejack called out as she, Rainbow Dash, and Violet Tempest stepped into the coffee shop. "Next y'all will be tellin' me we're on some kinda television show completely unawares." She slapped him affectionately on the back.

Twilight turned her attention to the new guest, as Spike rolled his eyes in a huff.

"Hello, I don't believe we've met", she said to the newcomer, holding out her hoof. "My name is Twilight Sparkle."

The smaller pony accepted the hoof, shaking it gently, and smiling in return. "Hi, Twilight, my name's Violet Tempest. I'm Rainbow Dash's sister."

Twilight's smile grew larger as she shook the younger mare's hoof more intensely. "Wow! It's a pleasure to meet you! I didn't even know Rainbow had family!" She caught herself and continued. "Er, I mean, I didn't know she had family out this way." she finished, blushing at her mistake.

Rainbow Dash smiled and put her hoof to her own chest, "That's because you can't keep this much cool contained in just one pony, sometimes you have to spread it out." At that, she ruffled her sister's mane, who gave her a good natured eye roll in return.

A moment later, Rarity and Fluttershy entered the coffee shop, and spotted their companions at a far table. Hurrying over, Rarity glanced around the cafe before taking a seat, and pulling a giant sun hat from her saddlebag, placed it over her head. She quickly added sunglasses to the equation, glancing furtively from left to right, and placing a hoof over her brow, as if in hiding.

Fluttershy, on the other hoof, could be found under the table. She had covered her eyes with her hooves.

Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Violet Tempest looked at one another.

"Is something wrong, Rarity?" Twilight asked her nervous friend.

"Oh, my goodness, no, where would you ever get a silly idea like that, Chromati-er, Twilight? No, of course not, things are just peachy, why yes they are! Isn't that right, Fluttershy?"

"meep!"

"See? Nothing at all wrong! Let's discuss something else!" Rarity added, glancing toward the door and back to her friends.
Twilight knew something was up, but felt it unwise to press the issue. Details would be coming forth soon enough.

At that moment, the cafe door burst open, at which point Rarity ducked under the table, holding Fluttershy in her forelegs.

"If it's the police, tell them there aren't any fashionably astute ponies here!" came a cultured, yet plaintive voice from underneath the table.

Twilight looked toward the door, and giggled. "Don't be silly fillies, you two, it's just Pinkie Pie!"

At this, the gathered ponies took their seats.

Twilight spoke first. "I hope everypony had a good time exploring!"

At affirmative nods (and a glance around the room by an alabaster fashionista), they began sharing the events of the past hour.

Eventually, Rarity came clean about what had happened, explaining that she had apologized profusely to the poor photographer after he regained consciousness. She was relieved to find her friends only giggling in response, with Twilight assuring her that she wasn't going to jail simply for being angry at a photographer, and that if he had accepted her apology (he had), then there was nothing else to worry about.

Spike piped up, "Yeah, and even if he did get mad and try to call the police, I'm a celebrity now, and would protect you with my fame, Rarity."

Everypony laughed. Spike took on a half lidded expression, and sighed.

At that moment, his cheeks expanded, and a cloud of billowing green fire erupted from his mouth.

Twilight caught it with her magic.

"It's a letter from Princess Celestia!" she said.

"What's it say, Twilight?!" Applejack asked as the purple unicorn read silently.

Twilight cleared her throat. "It says:

My faithful student,

Please forgive the inconvenience that has befallen you and your friends. It seems my reservations were confused with a recent attempt by a young couple trying to play off on my royal reputation, posing as minor Ambassadors. Having been so recent, the hotel believed that your arrival was the latest attempt at such a deception.

The hotel has apologized profusely, though I explained to them that I am not the offended party to which they should be apologizing, and in their desire to make amends, have prepared your rooms in the penthouse suite. They will be ready for you upon your arrival, after having received this letter.

Once again, my sincerest apologies for the mix-up, and please enjoy your vacation.

Your mentor and friend,
Princess Celestia."

Everypony cheered at the news. Gathering their things, they began to run back to the pitiful excuse of a "hotel" they feared they would be staying in the rest of the week.

Things were really starting to go their way! After all, with those minor bumps out of the way, what could possibly go wrong now? Twilight felt the chances of anything negative happening were so statistically insignificant, as to be worth ignoring. The statistics simply didn't lie. With a smile on her face, Twilight followed her friends out the door of the coffee shop, heading for fun and relaxation in the lap of luxury.

<(/)*(\)>