• Published 28th Apr 2023
  • 1,618 Views, 1,116 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Ruby Palace - Mindrop



While exchange students in Japan, the girls get trapped in the hottest, newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life. The only way out is to beat the final boss in the Ruby Palace at the top of Aincrad.

  • ...
6
 1,116
 1,618

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 13 - The Price Of A Soul

Episode 13 - The Price Of A Soul
Thirtieth Day in the Month of Cypress (November 30) in the Year of the Hawk
Floor 1 - Tolbana - Evening Time

Bladescape was leaning against the wall of a windmill outside of the city. She was not in the safe zone, but she was training Search, so nothing could sneak up on her. Besides, at level 13, nothing in the area was a threat to her and her back was against a wall, eliminating an attack from behind. Earlier in the day, they had been in the Boss Labyrinth in the nearest pillar. They had been trying to clear it for three days.

Because the first floor lacked dungeons, it was a lot different than anything on the floor. They were unprepared for the difference between the field and a proper dungeon. Many more players would have died in dungeons if they had them on the first floor. The boss labyrinths were supposed to be dungeons on steroids. Since they were located in the pillars that supported and connected the floors, it was a different feel as well. They had to contend with internal floors of the labyrinth, literally climbing and clearing their way to the top where the boss chamber was hidden. Finding it at the top was another challenge. The estimates from Knightstar had the Wondercolts about halfway up the pillar.

Everyone was on break for the evening, mostly so they could craft. Konpeito was cooking. She hated following Knightstar’s guide, because it was boring making the same basic bread bun over and over, but it was netting her the fastest XP possible and for the cheapest cost possible. Diemond was in a similar situation. She was following Knightstar’s advice for the fastest XP, which was currently making leather boots. Diemond had made them all narrow capes to wear, blue and trimmed with yellow, so they were publicly calling themselves the Wondercolts.

Everything Diemond made was maximized for return and not just in her own XP. Knightstar used each item to raise her Appraisal skill and Natora was then selling them to recoup some of the cost of the materials, as well as gain her own XP for Sales Negotiation. She also was buying the raw items or ingredients for Diemond and Konpeito, to reduce the cost while also raising Purchase Negotiation. It was a fluid cycle that was highly profitable for all involved. They were not making money, but that was expected at their early stage. What mattered was the XP rate they were gaining for four players.

Bladescape, Malus, Thunderborne, and Doombunny lacked a crafting skill to train, so they typically teamed up and casually targeted the goblin bands outside Tolbana while the others did their thing. Bladescape needed to be the best she could be to lead them all, not just in combat ability, but in levels. Malus wanted to be the strongest she could be, unyielding even. After the fight with Graardor, Malus was convinced that she could become an unmovable tank, and that was her goal. Thunderborne wanted to be the fastest player. She often was off training Sprint instead of combat, but when she was with them, she was counting kills to compete against Malus. The two IRL were evenly matched in almost everything, but in here, there was no denying that, even unburdened, Thunderborne was the faster player. Likewise, Malus was undisputedly the stronger player. What they could compete for was kill count. Malus used a slower weapon that dealt significant damage, while Thunder used a fast weapon that only could deal a small amount of damage in each attack. Their overall damage output was about equal to each other, making kill counting a good choice to compete in.

When Doombunny joined them, she usually took the opportunity to train her Blade Throwing Skill, and she had started sniping kills from both Thunderborne and Malus, as well as keeping track, just to annoy them. It fit her name, but it was odd seeing Fluttershy intentionally poking something with a stick to annoy it, however, it only made Thunder and Malus fight harder for the kills, which was a win all around.

Tonight, the four of them were not fighting. Malus was tired and decided she didn’t have it in her if they were going back into the labyrinth the next day. She lacked even a passive skill to train and was planning on an early bed. Thunderborne was attempting to ride the windmill blades. Apparently, it trained Acrobatics. Doombunny was off somewhere, probably training Hide.

That left Bladescape standing outside, passively training Search while she enjoyed the scenery. It was quite beautiful. Artists had made this world, not coders. It was so lifelike. Even the things that only existed in Aincrad seemed so natural. It all was one giant, moving, complex piece of modern art mixed with stunning landscape paintings and other scenery portraits. If it wasn’t their prison, with death around every corner, it would be immensely enjoyable, and probably the next World Wonder.

Tolbana was now the hub for all the top players. More were arriving every day and places to stay were almost all booked. Still, less than a hundred players were in the city. A lot of the ones who had started leveling up immediately after the tutorial were out in the other parts of the map, still making their way north. The other towns lacked a teleport plaza, so they had to come the hard way. Some players were trying to cut costs by staying in cheaper hovels in the Town of Beginnings and teleporting to Tolbana each day.

The Town of Beginnings was where the majority of the players were and most hadn’t even left the city. The word from the other players was that less than two thousand had dared to venture outside the Town of Beginnings. Worse, the city was against the southern edge of the floor, and players could gaze out from a few spots to the clouded sky world that Aincrad floated in. Those spots were also where a lot had jumped from, choosing to end their lives rather than face the challenge Kayaba had given them, or even attempt to make a new life here. A lot of players had died, in the field or by suicide, and they were not even a month into the game.

Bladescape saw the players before Search picked them up. It was a wide-open field, meaning her visual range was better than Search’s range. In the woods, dungeons, and labyrinths, Search kept them informed of enemies outside Bladescape’s immediate field of view and had saved them from some nasty surprises over the past few days.

It was a group of five and they were running as best as they could. They probably were coming from Medai by their trajectory, which meant it had been a long day for them to get here. A band of goblins spawned nearby, but it was only seven. It was a larger band for the area, but if the five of them had made it here, the goblins would not be a problem.

Some things came down to instinct. As much as their Sword Skills were useful, and the variety of ways they could be paired with other Skills, the game came down to instinct and willpower; things that could not be taught but had to be learned. In here, she was looking at the world through Bladescape, not Sunset, yet despite the difference, they were intertwined, almost one in the same. Life had taught both Sunset and Bladescape to recognize fear. Those five players were afraid as they tried to not fight the goblins. One put up his two-handed mace to hold them off, trying to allow the others the opportunity to sprint to Tolbana, but there was no way for that to happen.

He was there and then he wasn’t. At her distance, Bladescape only saw a faint glitter of a polygon or two.

The four of them went back-to-back in a desperate attempt to fight. Bladescape didn’t think as she rushed out across the field. There were four players in trouble and she was the only one who could see them, and therefore, she was their only salvation. She couldn’t stand by and do nothing.

It was a long way to charge. Bladescape kept the Red Sun Sword sheathed to help her run faster. As she got close, a hammer wielding hobgoblin broke the players apart. One fell to the ground.

Bladescape drew her sword with a war cry. It caught the attention of two goblins. That still left five on four. One player was taking hits on his shield, while trying to protect the player on the ground. The other two were back-to-back, furiously fending off spears.

Bladescape triggered a skill that jumped her forward to cover the last bit of ground faster than she could run. Her sword pierced the goblin, killing him in a single blow as she also scored a critical hit. Bladescape was in a longer delay, the price of the heavier hitting attack. The second goblin stabbed her while she was frozen. The attack left it in a delay as Bladescape was released. She cut him down with ease and set herself up to chain another Sword Skill. It was triggered and Bladescape slashed the next one open, ending its life, but putting her in a longer delay.

Four more goblins. Two attacking the standing players, and the two going after the downed player and her protector.

Bladescape remembered Natora’s saying, “slow is smooth, smooth is fast.” Stuck, she had the moment to slow down and plan. Her best course of action was to go for the closest target, which also freed the two standing players. That would tip the scale in their favor. She couldn’t easily reach the other two.

Bladescape unfroze and executed her plan. She leaped over to the first goblin, letting an uppercut strike slash him to pieces. It set her up for a downwards slash that cleaved the other in half. Bladescape turned, attempting to trigger a third skill, but she didn’t get in position in time.

The player shielding the one in the fetal position blocked the hobgoblin sword and lashed out with his axe at the regular goblin. He scored a hit, but not the kill. The hobgoblin got behind him and ran him through with its rusty sword.

Bladescape unfroze and jumped the five feet with her sword Skill triggered. The hobgoblin didn’t stand a chance and neither did the regular goblin as Bladescape chained a second Sword Skill. In the split second before she froze, Bladescape twisted so she could see the others.

She regretted it as she watched the player drop his axe and fall to his knees, the rusty sword still in his chest. He shattered. It was no different than any other creature or object in this world. His life was the same as the goblin’s was to the system, but his was worth something. His life was an insurmountable fortune that could never be bought because you can’t put a price on a soul.

Except he did put a price on a soul, he paid for the woman’s soul with his own.

Bladescape hated herself for her second thought; that he was the one they really needed, not her. He had the instincts to make it, to clear this game, and now it was gone along with him.

Bladescape unfroze as the woman, who was really a teenage girl, began to cry in front of the pile of his possessions. All that he had was now in a pile, and twenty feet away, was a second pile. Because of Bladescape, there were only two piles, not five. The other two were boys, not men. None of them could be older than 15.

Bladescape stood all the way up and sheathed her sword. There were no enemies around.

“I have a question you three need to answer right now,” Bladescape said, more forcefully than she meant. “What are your HP levels? I can’t see them.”

“All in the red,” the boy with a curved sword and no shield said.

“Potions?” Bladescape asked, already knowing the answer.

“All out,” he replied.

Bladescape reached into a pouch at her waist and pulled three out. She passed them to him. He was shocked at the kindness and didn’t take them.

“They’re cheap compared to your lives,” Bladescape said.

“Th-thanks,” the other boy stammered as he grabbed one.

The one with the curved sword took the other two, sheathed his sword, downed one, and bent down to coax their bawling friend to drink it.

With them out of immediate danger, Bladescape walked over to the pile of gear that was the remnant of the first of the fallen. It was his mace, a shirt of mail, and a small pouch of col. She picked them up as reverently as she could.

“What are you doing?” the kid with the shield asked.

Bladescape knew she was sounding cold. She didn’t mean to, but she wasn’t even sure how to handle the situation. “Either it sits here, in this field, and soon loses its durability and disappears, or your friend gives you one last gift. I don’t think he would want you to leave it to waste when you could sell it for the col needed to stay alive.”

She carried it back over to them. “Second question you have to answer. What levels are you?”

“Six,” the boy with the curved sword said. “We made it to six yesterday.”

“What are you doing out here‽” Bladescape snapped.

“We thought we could make it,” he said defensively. He sighed, defeated. “Nothing was working. The Town of Beginnings was so crowded that getting a respawn was difficult and pointless. We tried Horunka, but that was just as bad. They were picked clean. We got what we could, tried for three days to do the secret medicine quest, and then gave up. We weren’t even getting good XP hunting because there were too many others around. So, we moved on, and found ourselves in Medai. We had the guidebook, so we knew where Tolbana was, and we thought we could make it. We thought, because of how it had been elsewhere, there would be less resistance on the way, but there wasn’t. What few health potions we had were quickly used and then it was just running.

“We don’t want to hide though.” It was a strong statement as he found his confidence again. His voice still quivered, but he was confident as he made his argument. “We don’t want to be afraid. The five of us decided that we would do all we could to beat this game. Please, Onee-san, don’t send us back to the Town of Beginnings. It’s depressing there.”

Bladescape sighed. This was a disastrous situation. It also made her feel old, when he addressed her as “big sister” and asked her not to send them back, like he was some little kid and she was an old grown up. It was the proper title given their ages, not knowing anyone’s names, and the situation, but it nagged her more than it should have. The weirdest things became a priority during stressful situations.

“I’m Bladescape. I’m not going to send you back like little kids. None of you are little, but you all are out of your safety margin. Let’s get you into the city, safe, before any other goblins spawn, and then let's get you fed. All that running has to have you hungry. I know my friend will have fresh bread either just braked, or almost ready, from leveling up Cooking. We can only eat so much of it.”

Bladescape bent down to pick up their other friend’s remnants. He left his shield, axe, and a tiny sack of col. The girl latched onto his shield, hugging it tight, despite having a shield on her arm. Bladescape let her keep it as she took the rest and the boys helped the girl to her feet.

“I’m Kiefer,” the curved swordsman said. “He is Reisenki, and she is Soryuto.”

“We really should have thanked you earlier for saving us,” Reisenki added. He bowed low. “Forgive us. Thank you, for risking your life to save ours.”

“No need,” Bladescape said with a sigh. She wanted to add something about only needing thanks if she saved them all. She held her tongue and directed them towards the city. She wanted to get them out of danger before any other enemies showed up. Their HP couldn’t be full yet since the potions were slow acting. Even with topped off health, they were at best equal in level to the goblins. Plus, Soryuto was not in fighting shape.

The silence as they walked to Tolbana was agonizing on multiple levels. She had to fill it for their sake, and for her own. “I’m an exchange student, having a semester of school in Japan. While I know the language and English is my first language, Japan’s approach to naming your character in SAO is different than I am used to. Mine refers to the hamon on a katana and the way it can look like a landscape on the blade. What about yours?”

“Mine is...a long story,” Kiefer said. “Too long of one to really explain. It’s been something I have used for a character name for several years now, over several different games and online profiles. It is who I am, as a gamer, separate from my...well my real life.”

“We know each other IRL,” Reisenki added. “We all go to the same school. My name can be broken down into rei sen ki.”

“Zero Fight?” Bladescape asked, confused.

“Eh, more like ‘fighter who zero can beat’,” he explained. “Soryuto literally means Green Dragon Fight, but it is better expressed as ‘fights like a green dragon.’ Clearly, ours were more thought out and clever.”

Kiefer playfully shoved Reisenki and even laughed a bit. Soryuto was still silently clutching the shield to her chest.

Kiefer caught Bladescape looking at her. “Yeah, I guess we owe you an explanation about that as well.” He sighed and gathered his courage. “We started with seven of us, all scoring copies. Two are too afraid to leave the Town of Beginnings and I doubt they ever will. Our mace wielding friend was Lessa, a veteran MMORPG player. The other was Joltron, another veteran gamer. He wanted to play as our group’s tank, to protect us. Even after this game stopped being a game...well he did just that.”

Bladescape saw her vision flash SAFE ZONE, indicating that they were inside Tolbana’s zone. She could relax, at least for keeping them safe against monsters. The rest, she was still trying to process.

Bladescape screamed as Doombunny appeared beside her. Everyone in the area froze, looking at them, and justifiably concerned about the scream Bladescape let out.

“Sorry! I’m so sorry!” Doombunny stammered, sounding very much like Fluttershy. “I forgot I had Hide on. I thought you saw me. I really should have known better.”

Bladescape took a deep breath in and held it, trying to force her body to regulate its breathing and beating heart. She let it out slowly.

“It’s-” Bladescape started. She didn’t feel fine. “It’s over.” She stammered. “I’m in control again.”

“I’m guessing your reaction has to do with them,” Doombunny said, referencing Kiefer, Reisenki, and Soryuto.

“Back to the house, first,” Bladescape said.

Thunderborne slid to a stop beside them. “I heard Blade scream! What’s wrong?”

“I scared her, accidentally,” Doombunny explained. “Come on, we are meeting back at the house.”

“Uh, okay,” Thunderborne said, confused. She complied without asking any more questions.

The house wasn’t far. Bladescape finally felt safe as she entered the house. Konpeito was baking by the fire, Knightstar was slaving over her journal, Diemond was sitting on the stairs, sewing and talking to Natora who sat on the floor in front of the stairs.

“Where’s Malus?” Bladescape asked.

“Probably asleep,” Natora said, standing up. “She grabbed bread about twenty minutes ago and went upstairs. I’ll get her.”

Natora stepped past Diemond and went upstairs. Bladescape just nodded in agreement with Natora. It was clear that the visitors were important enough to warrant waking Malus up. Still, Diemond kept sewing and Konpeito had food she was in the middle of preparing. Until Malus was with them, nothing had to stop.

Natora came back down, slipping past Diemond and leaning against the wall where she had been sitting. She stayed standing for the time being. Malus came down the stairs yawning. She stopped right above Diemond as she stretched and yawned even bigger than before. She leaned against the wall, present and able to see everyone but Konpeito in the kitchen.

“Why was I woken up?” Malus asked, a bit edgy over the disturbance.

“I was training Search, when a group of players came towards the city,” Bladescape explained. “They got attacked by a band of goblins. Kiefer, Reisenki, and Soryuto are the survivors. Two died protecting the group. I got there as fast as I could.”

“Of all the!” Malus exclaimed. “I shudda been out with yah, but instead I went to sleep!”

“It’s not your fault,” Kiefer said, stopping her from continuing. “We overextended our abilities, trying to reach a place where we could actually earn XP. Even if you had been there, at the very least, Lessa wouldn’t have made it.”

The inevitability of the admission hung over the room like a storm cloud. The NPCs were unfazed, but the Wondercolts were unsure how to handle it. Life hadn’t prepared any of them for these emotional challenges and they lacked parents and other adults they looked up to for guidance.

“That explains your scream,” Doombunny finally said. “I, uh, accidentally scared her as they came into the city. I forgot I had Hide active.”

“Mo Ghile Mear Bread?” Konpeito asked, holding out several loaves. “It’s fresh and warm. It’s all Knightstar will let me bake, but it still is good.”

The three of them each took a loaf.

"I let you make bread, but it isn't named that," Knightstar said. "I'm not even sure what that means!"

"Mo Ghile Mear is Celtic meaning 'my gallant hero'," Konpeito explained. "Bladescape is the hero today. A clear winner! It's an old poem that was later put to a new tune, but still a ballad. I.R.L. Blade is trying to adapt it to a rock song with some success. Drums are easy, guitar has been the hardest part."

Bladescape chuckled. "I heard the song at Konpeito's house and it stuck with me. The beat has something primal to it and the meaning is powerful. So yeah, I'm trying to adapt it for our band."

"Mo gil meet," Natora said, raising her bread since she didn't have anything else to toast with.

"We will work on the pronunciation later," Konpeito said. "For now, new friends!"

“Yes, new friends," Diemond said. "However, darlings, none of us have had to deal with the loss of a player in our group. We are unsure what to say, or do, or how to help, or help by not helping.”

“So are we,” Reisenki said with a shrug. “And we knew them. I can’t believe they are gone. But the bread, a hot meal, is very appreciated. We are quite low on col so the free meal is appreciated. More than I think I can express, especially as tired as I am."

“You three can share a bedroom,” Natora said. “We have the top floor rented, so we can at least give you a place to stay tonight, along with the meal. Your immediate needs are taken care of. We can sort anything else out in the morning. If you want to retire now, you can, or you can stay up and talk with us about, well about anything really. The choice is up to you.”

“I’d really like to go to bed,” Soryuto said, speaking for the first time.

“Soryuto, I can get the shield repaired,” Bladescape offered. “That way its durability doesn’t run out. It probably won’t last the night in its condition.”

She slowly relaxed her grip on it. She trembled as she passed it to Bladescape.

“I’ll leave this in your room as soon as it is repaired,” Bladescape assured her.

“I hope we are not a burden,” Kiefer added.

“Nonsense, dear,” Diemond said, waiving the idea off. “We love helping others in need, and the truth is, we have been ahead of most players, so no one has needed our help. It has been rather boring because of it.”

“I’m going back to bed,” Malus stated. “I’m sure y’all know what I would say about anythin y’all might discuss. I’ll let ‘em into the first room and give ‘em a sleeping bag. Hospitality first, bed second.”

They let all of them go to bed before speaking up, so they didn’t distract their guests from doing so.

Natora immediately spoke up when they heard the second door close. “I’m actually more concerned about Malus. Something is weighing on her more than the game.”

“I have no idea what that would be,” Thunderborne said. “But it isn’t like she will open up about it without some prying. She can be stubborn.”

“We can solve that tomorrow,” Doombunny said as she walked over to grab another loaf of bread. “Right now, I am more intrigued about the kids we are on the verge of adopting. They say if you give it a name, you are stuck with it, and you, Blade, named them.”

“I-!” Bladescape stammered, trying to protest. She gave up and just ran with the explanation. “Okay. I did state their names. I saw a group of players, didn’t realize they were level six and in danger until too late, rushed all the way out there, killed all seven goblins, and then made sure they got to Tolbana safely. It was a long walk back, I had to break the disturbing silence somehow. Oh, and I gave them health potions since they too were almost dead and I promised them bread because I knew Konpeito would have extra. That’s as far as I got in planning, which really was no plan!” Bladescape crossed her arms, frustrated. She felt attacked, she felt on edge, she felt a lot of different things.

“Here,” Doombunny said, holding out a loaf. “Eat. You also don’t have to justify your actions to us. You did the right thing, the Wondercolt thing, but seeing them die...that isn’t an easy thing to process.”

“Thanks, Doom,” Bladescape said, taking the loaf. She took a big bite out of it, ensuring she couldn’t speak.

“They are level six?” Knightstar asked.

Bladescape nodded in reply. She swallowed her bite and then took a drink of water from the glass Doombunny brought her. “They said the fields in the safer areas are picked clean and respawns are scarce. Hunting was a problem. They made it to Medai with little issue. They thought there would be less enemies than there were. All they have been trying to do is get strong enough to make a run at clearing the game. That spirit might be broken, but it was there. They asked to not be sent back to the Town of Beginnings.”

“What is up with the shield?” Natora asked. “I feel like we are missing something.”

“I recovered the...remains,” Bladescape said. “It’s just what items you had on you. They will need to sell them for col. She latched on to it because Joltron, her, their, IRL friend, was literally standing over her, protecting her after she fell to the ground. He gave his life for her.”

“Then we definitely need to get it repaired,” Diemond said. “I have enough materials that I can easily whip up some more protective gear than what they currently have.”

“I’m not against this,” Natora said, pausing. “Look, I just want to ensure we are thinking, and not acting on emotions. So far, everything done has been logical and helpful. Level six is half of ours, which means way less HP, and in a party, it’s impossible to see exactly how much HP they have, only the bar. We all have right about the same amount, theirs will drop a lot, lot faster than ours in our vision. It would be a big risk taking them with us, but at the same time, if they were to join us more permanently, it would flesh us out a bit more. For the immediate future, if they can stand with us as damage dealers, not as forwards and tanks, then they will quickly gain XP while we do the work. Work we already have to do.

“Plus, we have that Ancient equipment. If there is anyone who deserves it, it’s them. They made it all the way to Tolbana at level six. That shows dedication. While it won’t boost their actual level, that gear will bump them up so they are more like level eight or nine.”

“Natora is correct about the effect the armor would have on their perceived level,” Knightstar said. “And the weapons I saw were subpar and they will easily benefit from our excess. It does feel like we are adopting them, but they are not some lost puppies. They might be young, but they are old enough to play and understand the risks involved with the changes. Something they just learned the hard way.”

“I think,” Bladescape said, trying to gain command of the room. They couldn’t act too quickly. “I think that we should speak with them in the morning, after we all have had time to think on the matter. We can’t be looking to adopt them and I don’t think we should offer them to join us as Wondercolts, but we will offer them the ancient gear they can use and let them decide if they want to try coming with us. We can work our way from there.

“Maybe it will be short term and we helped them out, which would be great, or maybe we will gain new friends that will last a lot longer, and perhaps, we will gain allies who will join our future guild. If we jump straight to joining our guild, and they can’t perform with us, then that is a problem. We need guild members who not only match our ideology, but can also stand beside us in a fight, every day.

“I think Malus would agree with that.”

“That is a good plan,” Natora said.

“Statistically, it is sound,” Knightstar added.

“Either way, I get to make them gear,” Diemond said.

“More friends equals more fun, right?” Konpeito asked.

“We have a finite amount of resources,” Doombunny stated. “As kind as we want to be, as generous as we want to be, we have to remember that. We can’t help everyone. We focus on the fight ahead and freeing everyone. That is the best we can give everyone and it is really all we can give most of the players. If the three of them can help us do that, and want to, then we form an alliance for the greater good. We absolutely should equip them with the spare gear. We kept it for someone like them and here they are.

“With that said, they may need a day or two before they are ready to hit the field again, and that is okay. We just have to give them space and let them accept our offer. On top of losing two friends, there are eight of us, and we are a daunting group to meet and get to know.”

“Daunting?” Diemond asked, appalled. Diemond turned to Knightstar. “Twilight, dear, and I mean Twilight, were we daunting to you?”

“Friends were daunting to me,” Knightstar said with a flat and logical tone. “You all were so wonderful, and we did meet on a more open playing field, so I knew everyone first, and as bad as things were, we were all there for a reason. But Pinkie alone can be a challenge to get to know. There is no easing in to her. She is made of sugar and even her game name is a pure sugar rock candy. Meeting her, it is zero to sixty in 3.14 seconds.”

“3.14?” Diemond asked.

“Duh!” Konpeito said, drawing it. “3.14 is the mathematical number known as pi, which is the ratio of the circumference of any circle to the diameter of that circle. And zero to sixty is the common standard for measuring engine performance in a car, specifically its ability to accelerate that car to the 60 miles per hour, or if you are going metric, 100 meters per hour, or 62.2 miles per hour. 3.14 seconds is a tough time to hit for most sports cars. And it is also my name!”

“I should have figured that one out myself,” Diemond said with a sigh. “The name part, not the car part.”

“Okay, it is bugging me more than it should be," Natora said. "I know it's rude, but Blade, you didn't happen to get the meaning of their names, did you? Kiefer is obviously something else, but the other two have elements of Japanese that seem contradictory to me."

"I did," Bladescape chuckled. "It was a weird walk to safety and the silence was unbearable, so I told them my name and why I chose it. They reciprocated."

Konpeito interrupted. "Oh! I know this! Reisenki means one who none can beat, and Soryuto means fights like a blue, or green, dragon. Probably more of a blueish green sea color dragon."

"She is right," Bladescape chuckled. "Her ability to play with the Japanese language is both impressive and annoying."

"And I know that Kiefer is a German last name that means cooper," Konpeito added. "A cooper is someone who makes barrels and casks for a living."

"Why, how, do you know that?" Knightstar asked. "I don't even know that! Well, I know what a cooper is, just not the German last name."

"Duh, because of German chocolate cake!"

"And that has to do with Kiefer how?" Thunderborne asked, getting impatient.

"How does it not?" Konpeito asked.

They all groaned involuntarily. They had lost Konpeito again. She was on point when they needed her to be and that was what was most important. The rambling disconnects were tolerable so long as she stayed focused in the fights.

"I'm going to get this shield repaired before the shops close," Bladescape said.

She left the house without any objections and walked to the closest smith. The repair work was quick enough. The NPC shops cost a lot more and we're slower than what players were reported to do. For now, Bladescape didn't know any smiths who she could go to. They needed to sort that out and start working on enhancements, but smithing was a slow skillset to build. It wasn't as bad if you didn't refine the ore yourself, but that was also more costly because someone had to refine it. And then the different types of weapons each had a corresponding skill for making them. Making a sword and making a mace were two separate skills. Even a straight sword and a curved sword required different skills. Repair work was another skill. Player-made weapons of any good value would be slow to hit the market.

Enhancements could be done by a smith so long as could make the weapon. NPCs could not do enhancements. It was a strictly player only ability. That was all she knew about enhancements.

When Bladescape got back, everyone had gone upstairs to bed. Bladescape slipped into the room their guests were using. Reisenki was on the floor in a sleeping bag at the foot of the bed. His axe was right beside his pillow, ready to be grabbed. Kiefer was on the bed with Soryuto, and closest to the door, as a barrier to protect her.

Bladescape almost got Doombunny to put the shield on the nightstand by Soryuto, but decided she could sneak her way over to the other side of the bed. She made it past Reisenki with no problem. He was out cold.

As she got to the nightstand, Soryuto's eyes slowly opened. She hadn't been sleeping. Bladescape held out the shield and she took it, once again cradling to her chest. Her eyes were heavy and closed before Bladescape could back away. Hopefully its presence would ease her mind enough to let her sleep.

Bladescape made it out with relative ease and went back to her room. She was not surprised that Natora was still up, but today she was looking out the window and up at the artificial moon and stars. The two of them had found a rhythm of breaking down the day, or just sitting without speaking, before heading to bed. It was a wind down that they accidentally found and it was working, so they stuck with it.

"You looked like you went through hell when you stepped through the door," Natora said as soon as the door was closed. "I'm not sure what is eating Malus, hopefully just a bit of exhaustion, but you I am concerned about. I already know you don't dream in SAO and we all know Konpeito's dreams are wild, and they oddly continue on from where she left off last. That has sparked the others to state that they do dream, but not so...Pinkie Pie."

They both chuckled.

"I still haven't had a dream," Bladescape admitted. "Close my eyes, fall asleep, wake up like I only blinked."

"It’s only dreams,” Natora shrugged. “So, I don't believe it is a problem. Anything you want to talk about, or should but don't want to?"

"I think I would handle it better if there was a body," Bladescape admitted. "Their existence ended just like any other monster or item. The same sound, like breaking glass, and the same polygons. It was unnerving having them just...disappear."

"You did well," Natora said in the same calm, cool, factual tone they used for their talks. "You saved three players. That is something to be proud of. We cannot afford to lose a single player; friend, unmet friend, or enemy. It is a human life. It’s a travesty that they lost two of their group, but a miracle that three survived."

"I'm not saying the others are not good-” Bladescape sighed, preparing to admit the truth. “But Lessa and Joltron were the best of them, at least by instinct. That is why they sacrificed themselves. They could put up the best fight and hopefully the others could get free. I hate myself for wishing they had survived and places had been swapped."

"That is an understandable wish," Natora replied. "I wasn't there, but we all want the best at the front. I think they will be fine. I believe they can contribute well to us as a guild, if they want to. They have the guts. Something else is bothering you though."

Bladescape sighed again. "A question I don't think we can answer. What is the price of a life? To our situation, are some lives more valuable than others? More specifically, when you save the life of another at the cost of your own, is it a waste, or a gain? Answering that might determine how I react in the future and that concerns me."

"Again, understandable concerns,” Natora said with a nod. “You have posed a deep philosophical question. I don't have an answer. I know this though, if we treat it as a waste or a loss, we devalue life. I'm not saying go off and sacrifice yourself, or to sacrifice yourself unnecessarily. We need you, so maybe right now some lives have more value than others, but you can't count it as a waste. The price of a human's life is worth the life of another, if not more. That sacrifice is a difficult thing to choose."

Bladescape slowly shook her head. "And yet I believe that I have to choose my stance on it now, before I end up in a position that might require it."

"Did you get hurt saving them?" It was a bit of a switch from their topic.

"I did," Bladescape said. "A goblin stabbed me while I was in a delay from a chained Sword Skill. It was only a small amount of HP though."

"Small or large, you risked your life to save them and you won. It was a pyrrhic victory, but a victory nonetheless. Take pride in that victory. They are here and we are trying to figure out how to help them, all because you choose a course of action that got them here. I would rather have these questions come up than not. Eleven against this iron castle is better than eight."

"That it is," Bladescape said. While she continued, she swapped out her armor for sleepwear and sat on the bed. “Why did you call it an iron castle and not a prison? I’ve caught you saying that a few times and never a prison, and I have heard the others who made it to Tolbana. They call it a prison.”

“Is it a prison or a world to live in?” Natora asked as she sat down on the other side of the bed. “We have no shackles or bars. We are not serving a sentence for a crime we committed or were unjustly convicted of. We were trapped, kidnapped, but not imprisoned. No one had to die. We have a clear goal, clear the game, beat the boss on the Hundredth Floor, and we get set free. Nowhere did Kayaba say we had to die. He said it was our home now, but he doesn’t see it as a prison and neither do I, and I am guessing, neither do you.”

“I catch myself marveling at the beauty of this world,” Bladescape admitted. “It was crafted by artists, not wardens.”

“And that is why I was looking out at the moon and stars,” Natora explained. “I know they are not real, yet they are as tangible to me in this world as back home. They were crafted by a creator who knew how to make beautiful things.” Natora slipped under the covers. “Now go to sleep, and look forward to the beauty that tomorrow will bring. Enjoy what you can. It’s what I am doing, or trying to do.”

“It really makes that hard when you get impaled,” Bladescape stated as she slipped under the covers.

“Yes, but now, shut up, close those eyes, and everything will magically be morning for you.”

Bladescape took a deep breath in and let it all out slowly. As soon as her lungs were empty, she closed her eyes and let everything go.

BLADESCAPE: Level 13 — Two-Handed Sword — Searching — Weapon Defense — Leather Armor
NATORA: Level 13 — Two-Handed Spear — Purchase Negotiations — Sales Negotiation — Weapon Defense
KNIGHTSTAR: Level 13 — One-Handed Sword — Shield — Light Metal Armor — Equipment Appraisal
MALUS: Level 13 — One-Handed War Hammer — Shield — Light Metal Armor — First Aid
THUNDERBORNE: Level 13 — Rapier — Sprint — Acrobatics — Weapon Defense
KONPEITO: Level 13 — Two-Handed Axe — Cooking — Weapon Defense — Light Metal Armor
DIEMOND: Level 13 — Mace — Shield — Sewing — Light Metal Armor
DOOMBUNNY: Level 13 — One-Handed Dagger — Hide — Fighting Spirit — Blade Throwing

PreviousChapters Next