• Published 28th Apr 2023
  • 1,618 Views, 1,116 Comments

EQG: Sword Art Online - Ruby Palace - Mindrop



While exchange students in Japan, the girls get trapped in the hottest, newest video game, Sword Art Online. If you die in the game, you die in real life. The only way out is to beat the final boss in the Ruby Palace at the top of Aincrad.

  • ...
6
 1,116
 1,618

PreviousChapters Next
Vignettes Arc - A For Effort

Author's Note:

The Vignettes Arcs are compiled blog posts, placed here for convenience. The vignettes themselves are short stories pushed out while I was in the transition between EQG:SAO Aincrad and writing Ruby Palace, to keep the fans up to date. They are not the official start of Ruby Palace, that would be the Pilot Episodes, but they are part of it. Reading them is not required to understand the story. They received much less editing effort since they were originally blog posts. Still, they are fun, give some more background than the pilot episodes can cover, and were put here so that anyone who wanted to read/reread them wouldn't have to dig through my blogs.

Enjoy!

Fall 2021- Deep Dive

Rainbow Dash knocked on the pink door. It was opened a moment later by a familiar face, but not the person he was looking for. It was Zephyr Breeze, Fluttershy’s younger brother.

He flashed Rainbow Dash a smile. “Hey, Rainbows. I’m not surprised to see you on my doorstep. Have you reconsidered my offer?”

“Hey, Zephyr,” Rainbow groaned. “No, I’m here to see Fluttershy. She is going to help me with my Japanese class.”

“Oh, well, the offer still stands,” Zephyr replied, still blocking the door.

Rainbow Dash gave him an annoyed look. “I don’t have time to be dating with how badly I'm falling behind in Japanese. If I don’t pass the upcoming quiz, I will be off the sports teams at CHS, because of my grades. In a single class. One class will do me in before any of the seasons even start!”

Zephyr sighed. “And we certainly don’t want that to happen. Follow me.”

Rainbow had not been to Fluttershy’s in a while, mostly because of Zephyr. The boy had always had a crush on her, and she found him insufferable. It was hard enough avoiding him since he was now a freshman at Canterlot High School, she didn’t need to go to a place Zephyr would certainly be.

Zephyr stopped outside a closed door painted yellow. “Fluttershy is inside,” he said as he knocked. “Sis, Rainbows is here to see you about Japanese stuff.”

“Coming!” Fluttershy yelled from inside the room.

“Good luck,” Zephyr said, chuckling as he walked away.

Fluttershy opened the door. “Sorry I didn’t see your text,” she immediately said. “I planned to meet you at the door.” She stepped aside. “Come in and let the experience begin.”

Rainbow Dash wasn’t sure what room she had stepped into. It had a bed, but the decoration didn’t seem to fit Fluttershy. At least not the Fluttershy Rainbow Dash knew.

On the wall across from the bed was a big tv screen and a desk with a computer, which was normal, but the bookshelves full of books that had Japanese names on the spine, another that was full of movie cases with Japanese titles on them, and another that was packed full of various figurines. Posters, all with Japanese letters on them, not English, were hung both on the wall and the ceiling since she was out of wall space. It was impossible to tell what colors the walls actually were.

“Uh…” Rainbow stammered as she dropped her backpack onto the floor. “Is this your room?”

“Yes,” Fluttershy nodded. “We won’t be bothered by Zephyr in here. He is scared of my room. Something about the posters and figurines watching him. I don’t get it.”

“I feel like I just dove into the deep end of the pool,” Rainbow admitted. “This is all…so…not you? You are like a Japanese nerd?"

Fluttershy sighed. “The term is actually otaku,” Fluttershy clarified. “I am a very big anime fan and read a lot of manga. It’s why I started learning Japanese freshman year and also how I plan to motivate you.”

“With reading in a language I barely know the alphabet of?” Rainbow asked, confused.

“No,” Fluttershy said, rolling her eyes. “By inspiring you. You said your biggest issue was that you didn’t find any of it interesting. I am going to help you get interested in the language.”

“No offense, but humanized horse girls that run derbies does not sound appealing,” Rainbow said as she focused on a particular poster.

“Uma Musume Pretty Derby is not for everyone,” Fluttershy admitted. “I only watched it because of Princess Twilight, being a pony and all. There are a lot of genres of anime, too many to go into. We just need to get you into something that you will want to watch and yes, I have the perfect thing.”

“And just what is that?” Rainbow asked wearily.

“Macross,” Fluttershy said with a sly grin. “It was released in 1985, so the animation style is older and much of what it did is now considered cliché, because of it. The basic premise, an alien starship crashes on earth. The setting is on that ship after it is rebuilt and it focuses on transforming space jet fighter craft and epic battles in the stars. The fighters can transform into battle suit robots for ground combat. I think you will find the mix of space battles and dog fights with the mechas to your liking.”

“So, no high school drama with love triangles?” Rainbow asked. Her interest was piqued.

“No high school drama, there is a solid love triangle story, but I won’t spoil anything,” Fluttershy said as she picked up the TV remote and turned the big screen on. The first episode was paused, waiting for Rainbow Dash so it could start. Fluttershy hit “play” and started Rainbow’s immersion into the Japanese language via pop culture.

Early Winter 2021 (midterms) - Flash Cards

Sunset double checked her slides. She flipped through each one, ensuring that the timing was correct. The others were doing well in Japanese 101. Rainbow Dash had recovered from her initial tailspin, all because Fluttershy had inspired her in a way that she learned to enjoy the language. In between her soccer matches, classes, and studying, Dash was finding the time to put a huge dent in the anime series Fluttershy had hooked her on.

Now it was time for Sunset Shimmer to help her friends study. It was almost midterms, so she had compiled the list of words they would need to know on electronic flashcards. Those cards would be used in a game to quickly buzz in the meaning of the word. They also have to pronounce the word in Japanese correctly. The points would be kept with candy, which would also be their reward.

Pinkie Pie was getting the candy. She would keep score since they were in the advanced class. Fluttershy would be present, but not a participant for the same reason.

This game would hopefully spice up the time-tested study method. Sunset had reserved a classroom for the contest as well as a projector, clearing away the desks except for the four they would need for each “contestant” and placed a buzzer on each.

None of them knew the actual game that was going to be played, only that it was a competition. Twilight was a master at flash cards, but hopefully the pressure would push her out of her comfort zone. Rainbow and AJ only had to be enticed by the promise of a competition with real stakes. Rarity was oddly competitive over the text exchange. Sunset was guessing that she was currently at the top of their class and wanted to keep her position.

Pinkie Pie skipped in with several overflowing bags in her hands and Fluttershy in tow.

“I’ve got the candy!” Pinkie exclaimed. “I even got each player’s personal favorite for extra enticement. Fluttershy brought the bowls.”

Fluttershy pulled out four dog bowls from her backpack. “The shelter got them in last night, but currently they aren't needed. They will be a sturdier base than a regular bowl in case someone knocks, kicks, punches, or jumps on their desk in the heat of competition.”

“Now I feel weird about the name tags I made to put on the bowls,” Sunset commented. She shrugged. “Oh well, too late to do anything about it. Let’s do this. I’ll be focused on the flash cards. Pinkie, if you can give out the rewards, and Fluttershy, if you can help moderate and figure out who buzzed in first, that would be greatly appreciated.”

“Sure,” Fluttershy said as she set a bowl on each desk and then taped their names, written in Hiragana, on a bowl. As a test to ensure they could read their names, Fluttershy mixed up the colors. Blue was Applejack, purple was Rainbow Dash, red was Rarity, and orange was Twilight Sparkle.

Pinkie Pie put a pile of candy beside Sunset, for snacking, as the others came in.

“So, what's the game?” Rainbow immediately asked.

“It’s simple,” Sunset said, joining everyone in the middle of the room. “You all know flashcards. On the screen I will project a card, the first person to buzz in gets to answer it. The catch is that you have to pronounce the word correctly and then give its meaning in English. If you get it right, I ring my bell and you get a piece of your favorite candy. If you don’t, I hit my buzzer and the next person to buzz in gets to answer. You have five seconds to buzz in and hands must stay flat on the desk.”

“Do we lose points for a wrong word?” Applejack asked.

“No, you don’t,” Sunset said. “Our setup isn't that sophisticated. We are borrowing clean, never used, dog bowls from Fluttershy’s shelter to hold the candy.”

“I was wondering why it was dog bowls,” Twilight commented.

“If there are no questions, take your assigned seats,” Sunset said.

The colors mixed up Applejack, who went for the orange bowl without thinking. Dash sniggered as she went to the purple bowl and sat at the correct desk.

With everyone seated, Sunset flipped the first card onto the screen.

Twilight immediately buzzed in. “It’s Nihõ̞ɴ, translated Japan, as in the country.”

“Correct!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, flicking a piece of candy into Twilight’s bowl from where she sat. “That was an easy one.”

Sunset chimed her bell and flipped to the next card. The words had been shuffled, varying the difficulty. There were several close ties for buzzing in as they progressed. As a group they went fourteen for fourteen. Fifteen was flipped up and no one buzzed in. Sunset hit her buzzer after 5 seconds, indicating time was up.

“Zasshi,” Fluttershy said. “Magazine or journal, as in I read the latest issue of the fashion magazine today.”

The next card tripped them all up again and Fluttershy answered it reflexively when Sunset hit the time buzzer. It was Akachan, meaning baby.

They took a break after thirty minutes to let everyone relax and go to the bathroom if they needed to. Rarity was in the lead by two candies over Twilight. Dash and AJ had a tied number that was respectable, but if they couldn’t react faster, they would be battling each other to not be in last place.

“Did you make these cards just for this game?” Twilight asked as she ate a piece of her winnings. “We have gone through a lot and I have a feeling you aren't close to being done.”

“This is what I use for my own studying,” Sunset explained. “The program randomly shuffles the cards for me. I just have to manually input the cards. I have them coded in by textbook chapters, so I was able to screen out the words you have not been taught yet.”

“That is a handy program,” Twilight said. “I would love to get a copy.”

“I can certainly provide you with it,” Sunset nodded. “How are you liking the competition side of flashcards?”

“Tests are kind of my thing, so I'm not worried about our midterms, but I am enjoying being pushed,” Twilight admitted. “I don’t want to hear the buzzer, I do want the candy, and three contestants ups the stakes and difficulty. I feel like I know the words, but am competing against the others, which I assume is the goal.”

“Yes,” Sunset nodded. “That is the goal, as well as learning.”

“Rarity has quick fingers,” Twilight added.

“It’s from years of sewing, Darling,” Rarity replied. “I am enjoying this competition. I am also surprised at our current standings.”

“Well, Applejack went to the wrong seat,” Dash goaded. “And I'm not close to an A in the class. I just got into the B range.”

“You know your grade?” Twilight asked, surprised and clearly a bit jealous.

“Yeah, Sakura Sensei’s letting me know where I sit and helping me get my grade up to an A for the exchange program,” Dash explained. “It’s been good motivation and she wants to see me be more than a jock. She likes that my eyes are on a prize that isn’t on a field or court. I’m just glad our midterm will have more time than this game has.”

“Your exam will be easy,” Fluttershy mused. “I have to translate poetry. Both into Japanese and into English.”

“That sounds like fun and not pointless like how most early language testing feels,” Twilight said. “I know it has a point, the exams are designed to build our knowledge up, but it can seem disjointed for certain languages like when you just turn a word into the proper tense and have simple, multiple-choice questions.”

“My test is in Kanji,” Fluttershy clarified. “Entirely in Kanji, except for what I have to translate into Kanji. And dealing with poetry always means that you will use words in slightly different ways than conventionally in order to fit the correct prose. Still, it should be fun. Translation exams do tend to be the best at showing the student’s grasp of the language as a whole.”

After a few more minutes of chatting, they went back to the competition. On the last card, Twilight buzzed in first. She pronounced the word correctly, but got the translation wrong. Rarity buzzed in before Sunset rang the “wrong” buzzer and got it all correct, taking the lead and winning. Dash had slid into last place but AJ didn’t have many more points than she did. There was a wide gap between Rarity and Twilight, and AJ and Dash.

“Honestly, you all did quite well,” Fluttershy said. “Not that I doubted you, but a four-way competition against time isn’t easy. You all seem ready for the midterm, assuming you have the grammar rules down as well as you do the vocabulary.”

Dash’s lips pursed in a mischievous smile. “We should pit Sunset, Pinkie, and Fluttershy against each other.”

“Sure,” Sunset shrugged. “But later. Our time in this room is almost up and I have other studying I need to do.”

“Same,” Pinkie Pie said. “Except I have baking to do. I bought plenty of candy for us to do rematches! Or new matches. Maybe teams?”

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves,” Sunset chuckled as she went to unplug her computer. She had no idea how teams would work.

June 10, 2022, Friday - Stress Sewing

Rarity guided the fabric through the sewing machine. She was only half focused on what she was doing. She was waiting for her acceptance letter. The stress made it impossible to do anything but sew, while also making it impossible for her to give her real projects the attention they needed. She was stress sewing; because that was the only way to calm her worries.

Their applications had been in for a month, before school was done. The letters of recommendation, resumes, biographical essay, and preliminary grades had been submitted. The program’s committee had to not only assess each student’s academic abilities, but determine if they believed they could make the transition to the foreign school and then back. They also had to believe the student could function in another country for several months. If the student failed, the burden of proof would first be on the committee to prove that they had chosen someone capable of overcoming those challenges. Success was the goal. They didn't want to send someone who would fail and suffer for it.

All of their biographical essays included the goal of attending the program with each other. They all argued having their friends would make their chances of success higher. That is what their Japanese Language teacher, Sakura Sensei, had instructed them to do. Pointing out that they would have a support group was information that could swing the decision in their favor.

Summer break wasn't that long, so they had to do things in advance of final grades. That included a video interview with the committee. Rarity had to do a portion speaking entirely in Japanese and so did Twilight, Applejack, and Dash, while Sunset and Pinkie had to do their interviews entirely in Japanese.

Rarity’s interview deviated at one point, shifting to fashion and her love for it. She hadn't realized until after that she had been fluently speaking in Japanese, she had been so caught up in talking about her love. She figured that it had to be a positive moment in the interview. They also deviated to ask her some atypical questions, in English, about her relationship with her friends, indicating that they had already interviewed Sunset, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie earlier in the day. It was nothing invasive, just trying to understand the group dynamics. Although it made Rarity nervous that she might screw one of their applications up by her interview.

Fluttershy had asked them about their interviews and learned hers was radically different. Fluttershy spent the bulk of it translating back and forth between the English speaking committee members and the Japanese speaking committee members. The entire committee could speak both languages, but having Fluttershy translate was an interesting tactic. It told them a lot about her language skills, while also getting the information required from her.

Nothing could be decided before final grades were submitted by the school, which had been done on Monday. Fluttershy, Sunset Shimmer, and Pinkie Pie had already received their acceptance letters three days prior, on Wednesday. The fact that they had taken more than Japanese 101 and scored A's in each level of the Japanese language classes made the decision easier. Paired with the interview, the committee didn't have to worry about the language being a barrier as much as they did with the others.

A knock came at her door. It was immediately opened by Sweetie Belle. "A certified letter just arrived for you," she said, holding it out but not entering the forbidden room.

Rarity abandoned the fabric, the sewing machine going dead as soon as her foot left the peddle as she tore across the room and snatched it out of her sister's hands. She closed the door in Sweetie Belle's face without thinking.

"You're welcome!" Sweetie Belle yelled through the door, but Rarity was entirely focused on the letter.

She resisted the urge to rip the letter open and sat down at her desk. She had a plan she had worked out. She quickly checked a pocket mirror to ensure she looked good and then started to record with her phone, propping it up with her in frame.

"Hello world! Rarity here and today, Friday June Tenth, I come not to you with fashion." She turned off the sewing machine. The hideous amalgamation of patches under the presser foot sitting in plain view made her cringe. "Sorry, I was stress sewing, nothing important or worthwhile. It was all I could do while I was waiting for this letter." She held it up for the camera to see. "This envelope holds my future! Or well, the future of my first semester of my senior year of high school. It will tell me if I either get to go to Japan on the foreign exchange program I signed up for, or not. Three of my friends are already accepted. Let's see if it will be four of seven!"

Rarity ripped the thick envelope open with no grace. She had none left in her after the stress of waiting.

She skimmed through the header listing the names on the committee and then read the decision out loud. "Our deliberations have found you to be in good academic and social standing and we have no outstanding concerns that the program will put undue burden on you. You are hereby accepted into the foreign exchange program to travel to Tokyo, Japan for study. Attached are the requirements for fundraising and cost, as well as details for getting your student visa, a list of what to bring and not to bring, and a note from the family you will be staying with. Congratulations on the achievement." Rarity squealed in excitement.

She looked at the other papers, forgetting that she was filming. The visa wouldn't be hard. Most of the work had been done by the exchange program. She just had to go to the consulate in Canterlot. The city was large enough that many nations had a consulate office in a shared building to make them accessible to the public to obtain travel visas.

The list of what to bring and not to bring was simple enough. They would be required to get uniforms particular to their specific school, but that was covered in the cost of the program. They wanted her to raise at least fifty percent of the tuition and had attached a list of ideas for fundraisers and tips for successful fundraising.

Rarity also had contact information for her "exchange family" and a letter written by them to the unknown student. It had a picture of their family.

All of what the program meant suddenly hit Rarity. She turned the phone to narrate her thoughts. "Suddenly, I realize all of what it means to leave. I don't intend to stop posting, you will absolutely get documentation of my time in Japan, but I won't get to sew when I get stressed…at least not like I currently do. The sewing machine will be staying here. I will be out of my element in more ways than just the language and cultural differences between Canterlot and Tokyo. I will not have my usual things to calm myself or wind down…I'll be living with strangers. I'll…need to develop a new routine.”

Rarity let out a sigh as the reality of her interpersonal situations came crashing down on her. “I…I won't get interrupted by my sister…which is…bittersweet…I just slammed the door in her face, preoccupied with the letter she had kindly brought. I…did not even think about it…or how rude it was. I knew I would miss my family at times…but…I am starting…” Rarity trailed off. She suddenly felt very hot as her emotions caught up to her. She fanned herself. “I am starting to realize how different it will be without my family constantly around.”

Rarity took a moment to compose herself. She was on camera. Emotion was fine, to a certain extent. Her followers did not need to watch her suddenly cry over the fact that in the future she would be missing her family.

"But enough about that. I’ll sort that out later. I must admit, I thought my first international trip would be to Paris or Milan or London, one of the fashion capitals of the world. Tokyo has a strong fashion scene and is a contender if you were to expand the capitals to include more than just the big four. Still, I'm not going to Tokyo for fashion. I am going for school, but also the cultural opportunities. I'll get to expand my horizons with a unique experience. I won't be a tourist. In many ways I'll get to see and understand Tokyo better than I ever could vacationing there. It will still make me a world traveler and I'll become a better person because of that travel. This experience will make those future ones easier and help broaden my horizons, including what I can do with fashion!

"These papers in my hand are not all show, fluff, or filler. Some of it is serious work I need to get done, such as fundraising requirements. I'm certain you will hear more from me soon about those endeavors! I have plenty of other things to do to get ready. Bye-bye, darlings!"

Rarity blew a kiss and then ended the recording.

She texted her friends, letting them know she had gotten accepted. The group chat lit up as Twilight also told them she had been accepted. Applejack chimed in a few minutes later with a picture of her holding her own acceptance letter.

It was down to Rainbow Dash. She was the only one without an answer. She had pulled off an A with a lot of help from Sakura Sensei and their teacher had written a letter of recommendation for Dash, something she was proud to do after all the work Dash had done, but out of the seven of them, Rarity's athletic friend had the weakest resume for acceptance.

Rarity suddenly realized what it would mean for Dash, personally, if she was accepted. Rarity was leaving a lot behind. Dash was going to be giving up on several teams, leaving them without a captain, and Japanese schools didn't do high school sports in the same way that Canterlot did. They were clubs, not teams associated with the school. The school wouldn't have a mascot for them all to rally to. Dash possibly had the most to give up by going and the least to gain. As a senior, especially for soccer, college scouts would be evaluating her. They would not see her in her final season, potentially eliminating any scholarship offers. However, a successful foreign exchange program on her college applications would be like a golden ticket. It would make her stand out among the crowd of other applicants. Scholarships could be awarded for walk-ons or follow up seasons.

Rarity couldn't worry about Dash. She had major planning to do for herself. She now had fundraisers to pull off. The others needed her expertise in areas to help them as a group fulfill the fundraising requirements. The more they worked together, the bigger the fundraisers they could pull off and the easier it would be on them all. Plus, if they didn't work together, the seven of them would trip over each other trying to raise the funds from the same group of people. It would also mean their parents had to pay less, and less was always better. Their parents had all agreed before they sent in their applications, understanding the costs involved. Twilight's parents had spent more a semester sending her to Crystal Prep, but anything they didn't have to spend was good for a variety of reasons.

Rarity posted the video update and then looked at the dress she had been making. It was hideous, made from scrap fabric, and not her best design anyway, but it was a western design. She would need to start looking into the Eastern fashion scene. Her semester abroad might provide crucial contacts in the international market. She would have to try and make some form of connection to the fashion scene while she was in Japan. Tokyo was in the top ten as a fashion capital. The land of the rising sun might be the true rise in her already surfacing fashion career.

Before any of that though, Rarity needed to go apologize to Sweetie Belle. Rarity left her room and stepped to the next door over. It was shut. She knocked on her sister’s door.

“It’s open,” Sweetie Belle called out.

Rarity opened the door. Sweetie Belle was sitting at her desk on her own laptop. Rarity couldn’t see what she was doing, but it didn’t matter.

“Hey, Sweetie Belle,” Rarity said. “I’m sorry I was so distracted earlier and slammed the door in your face. It was rude of me and there is no excuse for my actions.”

Sweetie Belle let out a sigh. “I accept your apology. I know the exchange program is really important to you and that you were stressed. Since you’re not crying and I heard a squeal from your room earlier, I assume you got accepted?”

“Yes!” Rarity said, squealing a bit. “I have a lot to do to finish stuff for the program, but before that takes my attention, how about some sister time? Sugarcube Corner, my treat, for an apology? I know dinner wasn’t that long ago, but it’s summer. We get to stay out later.”

“Alright,” Sweetie Belle said, smiling at Rarity. “Let me change real quick. Meet you at the front door in five minutes?”

“I’ll see you then,” Rarity replied, sliding out of her sister’s room and closing the door.

Rarity smiled to herself, content for the first time in a week. Sugarcube Corner was more than an apology trip. The end of the school year was always a crunch for time and the past semester had been even more so. Sweetie Belle had finals too, so they seemed to drift apart every year over the last month of school. Ensuring it wasn’t a permanent shift was important to Rarity.

June 10, 2022 - Sister Time

“I have all of the rock candy ready to make our necklaces!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed as she entered the dining room where Maud was.

“While your candy making skills are exemplary, I thought we could use something a little more relevant for the necklaces.” Maud said. She reached under the table and pulled out a big brown box. “I had to special order these.”

Maud set the box on the table and slid over to Pinkie to open. Pinkie popped the flaps open with enthusiasm and then stopped as she looked inside. She pulled a bag of candy out.

“I don’t get it,” Pinkie said.

“It’s Konpeito, Japan’s version of rock candy,” Maud explained. “With you going to Japan, I think it is more appropriate to use it to mark the special occasion. It is special because you are leaving me for the first time. I may be one leaving tomorrow, but when I get back you will be the one gone.”

“Awe,” Pinkie said, tearing up. “That’s so sweet.”

"I’m proud of you,” Maud said, bringing Pinkie in for a hug. “Traveling halfway around the globe to spend a semester learning on foreign rock.”

“What about you?” Pinkie asked. “You're finally going to Sweden to examine the Viking runestones in person. You’re studying abroad too.”

“No, I am going to do fieldwork,” Maud said. “I am not learning from a Swedish university with all of the classes in Swedish. My school is here and I only have the summer break to gather data from the field. I will do lab work when I return or work on other facets of my dissertation. I wouldn’t even be going unless I had to, but understanding why they chose the stones they did to immortalize the information is important. Almost as important as what is carved on them. After all, not all stones can remember messages for a millennia and a half.

"Promise me you will bring me back a piece of Japan.”

“Cross my heart,” Pinkie said, as she crossed her heart. She didn’t skip any of the gestures. “Hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!”

“Come on, let’s make the necklaces before Limestone is done with her work and Marble is back from her job. We don’t want to delay the Pie sisters hitting the town.”

Pinkie Pie opened all four bags of colorful, pastel candy, pouring them out onto the table. The candy was small, bumpy balls. Pinkie Pie popped one in her mouth as she began to sort out the colors she wanted to use. The bumps made the candy both sweet and fun as she let it poke her mouth and tongue. It was stimulating to roll it around while sucking on the hard sugar.

As Pinkie finished up her necklace, she looked over at Maud, who was also done. Maud was organizing the candies in a particular pattern, but Pinkie couldn’t tell what it was. She got up and walked around to Maud, to see it from her point of view.

“What is that?” Pinkie asked.

“This symbol is called the Vegvisir,” Maud explained. “It’s a compass of sorts. It was believed it would bring good luck on journeys and to weather any storms met on the sea. Each arm is a staff, a direction, and has a meaning. All eight together are also said to help find the right path in life. It isn’t actually a Viking symbol. It is an Icelandic symbol with the earliest examples coming from the nineteenth century, although some people debate it might be much older. What matters is that it invokes imagery of the Viking era, as well as meaning. All Icelanders are direct descendants of Norwegian Norse, who first settled it in the ninth century.

“The runestones I’m studying will span six to eight centuries and will have changes in the culture impressed into the inscriptions by the techniques, symbols, and prose used. While the Norse may not exist anymore, their culture continues to live on symbolically, with some elements still in use today by their descendants, in popular culture, and by others who idolize them or enjoy their art. I find it to be an important symbol.”

“You are so smart,” Pinkie said with a content sigh. “I love listening to you explain these things to me.”

"You are smart too, Pinkie," Maud said. "Not everyone can learn a foreign language enough to spend a significant time there."

Igneous Rock and Cloudy Quartz came into the dining room. Igneous handed an envelope to Maud. “I see you girls are having fun. What do you have planned for the evening?”

“I wanted to see if we can get Pinkie’s curls into one of the traditional Viking hairstyles,” Maud stated. “The same for the rest of us. There are several other things I want to do with my sisters before I leave in the morning. I’m all packed and ready to go. We won’t stay out too late.”

June 13, 2022 - Stress Sewing Part 2

Rarity unlocked her phone, pulling up the camera. She propped it up, ensuring she was in view, and then double checked her makeup. With her looking as fabulous as she could, she started recording.

"Hello world! Rarity here and today. Monday, June Thirteenth, I again come not to you with fashion advice or anything I am designing, but an update on moi and the trip. I know I've been oddly silent the past few days. Once I got the acceptance letter, it put a lot of things in perspective. It's all good stuff…but my world, my life in Canterlot, has suddenly shrunk …now most places that used to seem far…don't. Because it is still within the city. If this was a trip, a vacation…it wouldn't shrink my world. I'm going to be spending months living in Japan!"

Rarity squealed a little. She didn't like squealing on camera because it wasn't composed and lady-like, but it happened. It was an expression of pure joy. Showing that, at appropriate times, to her followers was not bad.

"I'm so excited, oddly terrified, and…” Rarity paused, thinking about where she was compared to her plan. This wasn’t about her shrinking world. “And I am already off of my starting point. Bear with me, darlings. I’m preoccupied from my research, but I swear, I have an update, because I’ll be in Japan from late August to almost January. Four whole months. It’s not all about the academics, if it was, my world wouldn’t be shrinking. I’m realizing how small Canterlot is in the scheme of our world.”

Rarity slipped off topic again without realizing it. Speaking to a mirror or camera was often cathartic as she worked through things. In this case, she had herself she could see on her phone.

"Wherever your family is, that is the most important place in the world. My friends will be with me…but my family won't. I know she secretly watches these updates and will get annoyed, but as much as my little sister annoys me at times…I'm really going to miss that. All of the little inconveniences in life…I will miss those too…which probably sounds odd. And my parents…but I am once again off topic. I’m sorry, darlings, let me restart.”

Rarity took a moment to breathe and focus her mind, hoping it wouldn’t slip as she continued to her point. "So, I'm going for much more than the school. Actually, the school is probably more of an…inconvenience to the whole thing. I'll have to attend classes, daily, just like I would at home…and that isn't bad…but it will stop me from exploring and experiencing a brand new world to me with adventure around every corner. Things I am not familiar with and will get to learn about, firsthand. Things that, for the first time in my life, aren't practically in my backyard."

Rarity sighed. "This is why I haven't posted since my last video update. I'm so distracted and once again off topic. Home shrinking, world expanding, lots to explore, adventures to have, and back on track with some fashion talk!

"Okay…so I have been researching…a lot about a lot of different things. The list of what I could and couldn't bring sparked the research. I do not believe I have mentioned that I will be required to wear a uniform to school. I knew Japanese culture was very prim and proper, but I didn't realize how…different school would be. I don't move classrooms; my teachers change classrooms. I know everyone bows to each other, which I, quite frankly, find very charming. I could only learn so much about those difference while being in Japanese class at CHS. The focus is the language and only for an hour each day.

"What I had not understood was just how…much that prim and proper structure is seeded into everything. The uniforms are not severe. They are…classic. They have a certain, retro-historical charm that is reminiscent of either a British boarding schools with an Asian flair, or an early twentieth century sailor. Plaid or solid color pleated skirts, dress slacks for the boys, straight neckties for the boys and our school uses crossover ties for the girls, white dress shirts or blouses, dress shoes in a color that matches the rest of the uniform, stockings or leggings for the Ladies that fit in the guidelines, and jackets on top, with a big school patch. Many schools have standards for their hair styles too. The uniform colors vary depending on the school and this is a picture of a students in the summer uniform of our school.”’.

Rarity held up the picture she had printed so it could be seen. It was a few students. The girls were in plaid pleated skirts, navy and green, with several different lengths of white socks or leggings, while the boys were in navy slacks. The blazers were navy with two silver buttons and the school’s patch on the pocket and the penny loafers were also navy. The ties were also of the same plaid.

"Like I said, none of it is bad, but it…really has me shifting perspective. The cost of the program includes the uniforms, which I will get shortly after I arrive. I will have several sets. The winter uniform adds a sweater for the girls and white leggings. While I always like to present myself as best as possible, I will have to keep it in good order all day long or I could get in trouble. I don't want a reprimand for something as simple as my clothes. It's a lot of pressure that I didn't expect. A lot of the pictures I post while there will have me in a uniform.

“I have no idea how AJ or Dash will handle the uniforms, that is assuming Dash gets in. We still are waiting for word from her either way. It's been three days since Twilight, AJ, and I found out…it's getting…concerning. I don't think either Dash or AJ watch my video blogs.” Rarity shrugged. “I didn't say anything bad about either of them. I’m just off my topic…again.”

"The point I am once again getting away from, is that I'll have very little time for regular clothes. I have to conform, which has its pros and cons, but I'm not going to be swimming in fashion like I do every day. On some days, I'll change outfits two or three times, depending on the day and what I am doing, or what suddenly comes up that requires a wardrobe change. Beyond clothes, jewelry and accessories will be restricted because they don't conform to the uniform. That…” Rarity let out a sigh and bit her lip. “I am not happy about, because I love to accessorize. They reflect how I feel that day.

"Having some of this structure in my life will probably do me some good. No, it definitely will. Life can get so chaotic and I never intend to let it spiral out of control. The…price…for that structure means I have to wear a uniform. I’m not disgusted by the uniforms…more of a…disappointment that grew as I researched more.”

"I won't be able to be moi, to show off who I am, on a daily basis and they won't have casual days either. That is a huge change for someone like myself. It's not enough to make me rethink this amazing opportunity. Not even close. I'll make the best of it. I just wasn't expecting the…severity of Japanese schools. Severity is probably too harsh. It's…their culture. What I mean is, the kids grow up understanding that a uniform is a part of school, the same as the classes they have to study. From first day they go to school, they wear uniforms, and the little boys and little girls often look cheek-pinchingly cute in them. Uniforms are something expected of them and they rise to meet the challenge. I want to rise to meet that challenge too.

"I am sure some of you are thinking it is the same as many private schools. It's not. It is uniquely different from some of the private schools I have seen closer to home. For one, these are Japanese public schools, not private education. Public schools here might have dress codes, but they really just make sure people are properly dressed. The private schools, parents pay a lot of money to send their kids to. Not that I am disrespecting them in any way, they just are…well they have uniforms which tend to make me shudder, but they are not that different from some schools.”

Rarity let out a sigh.

“I think it is a cultural difference, where it is the expected norm that no one questions in Japan, here it makes you stand out. I do think, from what I have seen, that Japanese schools have the better uniforms, but that isn't necessarily a constant, since each school has a different one. You can tell where someone goes just by their uniform, and that is with everyone wearing uniforms that are very much the same… yet not, specifically if you line them up. I’m glad the school I am going to doesn’t have a sērā fuku, the sailor style, uniform. They may look cute on elementary girls, but they are not refined for a young lady in high school."

Realizing she was wandering again, Rarity shook herself. "But I got off on yet another tangent. Back to uniforms and Rarity. It will be a challenge, a change, but it has its benefits. I just don't want to lose myself among the crowd. I've always been able to make myself stand out in some way. After all, I am the beautiful and radiant Rarity! I am…concerned about getting lost…losing my identity…but I guess this exchange program will help me build an identity that is deeper than the clothes I wear, my love for fashion, and belief in always looking your best."

Rarity's phone had a notification pop up. Usually she ignored them while filming or swiped them out of the way. This one was a text and in the way. As she went to swipe it away so she could see herself in the camera, her finger paused.

Rarity didn't trust her eyes since it was half opaque from swiping it away. Lifting up her finger made it disappear and she had to scramble to get to her text messages. She forgot about the camera as she pulled the group chat up.

Dash: I'M IN! I'M GOING TO JAPAN WITH EVERYONE! SEVEN OF SEVEN! Now to figure out fundraisers.

"YES!" Rarity exclaimed, jumping out of her chair. She had dropped her phone onto the table as she jumped for joy. It didn't harm it, but as she picked it up, she saw the blinking red light, reminding her that she was recording and what she had been doing before the text.

"Sorry, darlings," Rarity said as she composed herself in her chair. She lost her composure and squealed again. "I just got notified that Rainbow Dash made it! She is in the exchange program! All seven of us are going to Tokyo! No best friend gets left behind! I knew Dash could make it, but I was most concerned about her. Her Japanese improved drastically from her very rocky start at the beginning of the school year, but she was still the one I was most concerned about.”

Rarity shook her head. "Oh my, if I am going to have a challenge with the uniforms…well Dash's challenge will be a lot different. I'm struggle with losing my identity and finding a much better, more solid and lifelong identity. Dash…she will struggle to keep it in shape throughout the day. My athletic friend won't like the tie, or jacket, or dress blouse, or the required stockings. The stockings will be an issue because she doesn't like to be told what stockings to wear. She will oddly be absolutely fine with the skirt. Dash also has an uncanny ability to winkle her regular clothes before the end of home period. I swear, I see her before classes start with everything looking great, and right after home period we have a class together. By then, everything is wrinkled. Maybe even a stain on it from something she ate. Home period isn't even fifteen minutes long!” Rarity brushed some hair out of her face before continuing. “It would be impressive if it wasn't a terrifying fashion disaster scene. It is why she tends to wear clothes that are made out of synthetic materials and more athletic. They don't wrinkle as easily as cotton or other fabrics. Seriously, she will have trouble keeping the skirt, jacket, and blouse from wrinkling by lunch, and I am pretty certain that she will find some way to wrinkle the crossover tie.

"Dash's final statement in her text messages was right, we have to look forward, towards the fundraising we have to do. For my followers in Canterlot and the surrounding area, keep a lookout about those. I'll be posting what events we are doing to raise that required cost.

"Okay, I have to go and do more preparations for the trip. I know, it is still weeks away, but as you all are aware, I am a planner. I want to be mentally ready to pack up and go when that day does come. Besides, we now absolutely need to get together and seriously plan our fundraiser events, not just theorize like before. It will probably happen sometime today. I need to be available.

"Bye, bye, darlings," Rarity said as she blew some kisses to the camera. "Sorry for rambling a bit. Rarity out!"

Rarity stopped recording and pulled up her social media account. As she went through the steps to post the video, she had the idea to make a joint account they could all post to. Their supporters could follow it and stay connected to them on their trip, as well as logging their adventures for their own records. It was an easy thing to set up and do, but they didn't have to do it right away. Rarity would work on it for the group in her spare time.

Rarity texted a congratulations message to Dash in the group chat. She followed it up with a second one, also stating that they needed to meet as soon as they could to start talking fundraising details. They had confirmation that everyone was going, so they have no excuse to not start. The deadline to raise the money would come up quickly if they were not careful. Since they had learned they had a minimum to fundraise, they had set a personal goal to fundraise it all.

Rarity got a text from Dash, not in the group chat. It simply said, "I saw what you said in your latest video."

Rarity sighed. She was surprised Dash was following her, especially closely. She had a lot of followers and she couldn't remember all of them. She had topped twenty-five thousand last month and that number was still climbing. People loved her fashion stuff; be it her showing off what she had made or the newest piece she purchased, or her tutorial videos on make-up or sewing, or her very popular series giving fashion advice, which had started as simple videos on general topics and had developed to include her answering relevant questions from her followers whenever the topic was appropriate.

She knew her observations concerning her friend were correct, but she also knew Dash was going to get her back for publicly commenting on Dash’s clothes. It would be well thought out payback, among friends, but payback. The focus on fundraising might distract Dash to the point where she forgot. Hopefully it would.

Rarity was excited to hear what the others were thinking about setting up. She had an idea for a fashion show, but it was rather complex and might not be worth the donations it would bring in. She would suggest it if they needed another idea.

PreviousChapters Next