• Published 3rd Mar 2021
  • 916 Views, 4 Comments

The Gates of Equestria - SapphireRose87



The Founders of Equestria don't know this but the bonds of friendship didn't stop the Wendigos. A group of ponies who called themselves Guardians did.

  • ...
12
 4
 916

Chapter Two

Melody stood on a mound of snow over by the East Gate. It was snowing where she was at. It didn't bother her that much. When she is around other ponies, she doesn't really smile or show any emotion on her face, but when she's by herself she has no problem doing so. She thought to herself. It's more cold than usual today. I still don't mind.

Her smile didn't last long because she heard the sounds of hoofsteps behind her. Judging by the soft sound of the hoofsteps, it was Fluttershy. She whistled a short tune to confirm that it really was Fluttershy. "Hey, Fluttershy,” she monotonized.

Fluttershy, being her usual bubbly self, often got on Melody's nerves. "Oh, hey Melody! How is it going today?"

Melody rolled her eyes. "Let me guess, Mom sent you here to do another welfare check on me?"

"Well, yeah. She worries about you every day." Fluttershy murmured. "And I worry about you too."

Melody groaned, she didn't want to talk to Fluttershy today. She didn't feel like showing any emotion whatsoever. "You know I can take care of myself. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have been chosen to be a guardian."

Melody started thinking of making up an excuse to get away from Fluttershy when she heard voices arguing off in the distance. She galloped in the direction of which the voices sounded. She found out very quickly what was happening. She knew who the voices were connected to, Wild Arrow and Aether.

"Let go of my bag now!" Aether shouted.

"Sure, I'll let go, as soon as you give me the food that you brought for your marefriend, Melody." Wild Arrow jeered.

"She's not my marefriend!" Aether responded. "What's your problem?"

"I don't have a problem," Wild Arrow taunted. "I'm just wondering why you're bringing food for somepony that's crippled."

"Excuse me?" Aether growled. "She's not crippled. What would make you think that?"

"Because she's blind!" Wild Arrow snapped.

Melody's eye twitched in anger when she heard that. It took a lot for her to get angry. When she did get angry, however, you should probably stay out of her way.

"Hey!" Melody shouted. The funny thing about Melody is when she talked her voice was monotone. But when she sang, her voice was on key. She said the word 'hey' with enough force to get Aether and Wild Arrows attention.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the blind and crippled mare!" Wild Arrow snarked.

"What did you just call me, punk?" Melody snarled.

"You heard me, blind and crippled mare!" Wild Arrow hissed.

Perfect, awesome, did you have to gallop in the sign of trouble so you can save the day? Melody thought, scolding herself. This day just keeps getting better and better. I have to show one stinking emotion after another. First Fluttershy, and now this. Could it get any worse?

"She's not crippled!" Aether insisted.

At this point, Melody decided it was time to end this stupid argument. She sang three notes. When the last note was sung, a powerful gust of wind came from her voice. Upon hearing this, one would think that this display of power was the Royal Canterlot Voice.

The gust of wind that came from the note Melody sang was so strong that it slammed Wild Arrow into a nearby tree. Melody nodded, satisfied at the sound of Wild Arrow’s hoofsteps running away.

"Uh, hey, Melody," stammered Aether. "I just came over for a visit and I, uh, brought you some food. Unfortunately, it can't be eaten at the moment, Wild Arrow smashed most of it. Sorry."

Melody didn't bother to sing anything because she didn't want to see the smashed up food that Aether brought for her. Not because the food wouldn't look appetizing but at this point, she was annoyed with the fact that yet again, she had more ponies hovering over her.

She started to gallop away in frustration from Aether and Fluttershy.

"Hey, wait up!" Aether called after her.

Melody didn't pause in her running, she sped up her pace knowing that Aether or Fluttershy couldn't catch up to her.

* * *

Fancy Mark hated walking in hallways, especially ones with mirrors in them. Unfortunately, the place that he was staying in had mirrors in every other hallway he walked down. He had half a mind to request that servants where he was staying to cover all of the mirrors that were in the hallway that he had to walk down to get to his room. He didn't feel like talking to Fancy Dark today, or any day for that matter. Those conversations always scared him beyond comprehension.

“Well, hello, friend!”

Fancy Mark whipped around and saw his darker ego standing in the mirror behind him. The mirror was fully black and white, the gold trim now lined with blue and red distortion, the same spread out a little on the wall behind it in jagged cubic borders. In the center of it all stood an almost exact version of Fancy Mark, the grey coat smooth and silky. His, no, its fully black eyes seemed to emanate a dark aura. Its hair was deep black but neatly done, unlike Mark’s, which was a blue and yellow striped mess.

“Not today, Dark, I’m busy.” Fancy Mark shook slightly, his fear starting to become visible.

“Oh, come now, I missed you! Did you miss me?” Fancy Dark chuckled with a growling distortion.

“No, you monster, I’ll never miss you.” The mirror image readjusted its suit, and smiled softly.

“I guess we’re gonna do this the HARD way, aren’t we?” the thing muttered. Mark tried to hold his ground, to not let his fear show any further. Suddenly, he collided with the floor, as if somepony had body-slammed him. Fancy Dark peered down at him with a sneer.

“Let… me... GO!” Fancy Mark shouted in rage.

“Oh, I don’t think so, my dear, dear Mark. Sometimes, one has to establish… dominance every once in a while, don’t you agree?” It sat in a regal pose inside the frame.

“NO! I never will! I will never give into someone like you.” Fancy Mark watched as he flung himself into the nearby wall, crumpling to the floor.

“Oh, Mark, don’t you remember?” Fancy Dark’s almost caring demeanor quickly changed into one of rage. “I’m you! I’m your best friend!” It smiled a little. “I’ll always be here! Your functions are mine to control, Mark, they always have been and always… will…. be.” Fancy Mark’s body relaxed slightly from it’s previously tensed position, and Mark scooted up against the opposite wall, hyperventilating. “Remember, Fancy Mark, as soon as you slip up, as soon as you fail your eternal task, I’ll be there. I’ll be waiting to help. I’m always here…” The mirror seemed to begin to be restored to its previously beautiful state. “What? Oh, it’s that pink pony.” Fancy Dark let out a seemingly genuine smile, readjusting his tie. “We can talk later, Mark. Remember, my offer still stands. I can give… you… everything.”

The conversation ended exactly how he thought it would. He was cowering on the floor, staring at the mirror with wide eyes. He didn't notice Pinkie Pie staring at him.

"Hey Fancy," said Pinkie Pie, "what's up?"

Fancy Mark looked up at Pinkie Pie. "Oh, Pinkie, it's you."

Pinkie raised an eyebrow, "Um, yeah, it's me. Why are you cowering by that mirror?"

Fancy Mark gave a nervous laugh, standing up. "I-It’s not anything you need to concern yourself with, Pinkie. Where are you headed?"

"Over to the dining hall. I'm hungry. Also, I heard there’s a triple fudge chocolate cake that needs to be eaten!" Pinkie grinned.

Eager to get away from the mirror, Fancy Mark turned and followed Pinkie walking as fast as he could.

* * *

Aether sighed when he saw Melody gallop away in anger. He thought, Melody can take care of herself. I'm not interested in her as a marefriend but she is cute. Can you blame me for giving her the googly eyes? She's right, though, she's not crippled. To me, she's amazing! She's talented and kind… Oh good job, Wild Arrow, you jerk!

"Don't worry about Melody, Aether," said Fluttershy, "I know you think she's cute, but I don't think she's interested in that sort of thing at the moment. She tends to take her job way too seriously sometimes. I mean I don't think there's-"

Before Fluttershy could finish her sentence, Discord popped up.

"Why, hello there!" Discord greeted them. "I say, is that one of the guardians you told me about, my dear?"

Fluttershy nodded, "Why yes, dear, this Aetherlight Melody. He's the guardian of the South Gate."

"Well, well, well," said Discord looking impressed. "Although he's a guardian it does impress me that a pony who is so small in size was chosen for the job."

Aether took Discord by surprise when he smiled and said, "Gee, thank you for the compliment!"

Discord paused, "Wait, what? Did you just take my insult as a compliment?"

Aether smiled and nodded, "Uh-huh, one thing you should know about me, I like being called small. I think being small is adorable!"

Discord's jaw dropped and then he whispered into Fluttershy's ear, "Fluttershy? Why did Sapphire choose some weirdo to guard one of the gates this year?"

Fluttershy shrugged, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Sapphire about that one. If you ask me, don't think he's weird."

Aether waved his hoof to get Fluttershy and Discord's attention. "Uh, hello! Did you guys forget I'm standing here? Would mind letting me join in on the conversation? You know, because you're talking about me?"

Discord smiled, "Oh sorry about that Aether. However, you are very dashing. So do you have a marefriend yet?"

"Well he would have a marefriend if Melody would say yes to him, they could," Fluttershy faked coughs twice, "make a 'melody' together!"

Aether blushed profusely and looked like he wanted to run as fast as he away from them like Melody did with their teasing him. Discord and Fluttershy found Aether's reaction to their teasing funny because they couldn't stop laughing.

This is so not funny. Aether thought. Nope. Not funny at all.

Discord stopped laughing, "Oh, come now, Aetherlight Melody, we were only teasing!"

"Just call me Aether," Aether said.

"Yeah, Discord," said Fluttershy. "I think we've embarrassed him enough for the day. I just couldn't help myself. You and Melody would really make a cute couple. But, as I said before, I don't think she's interested in that stuff right now. It probably would help if Applejack would stop sending me to do welfare checks on her. She can take care of herself as she just demonstrated that by sending Wild Arrow packing with his tail between his legs."

Discord titled his head, "Now, how is she able to do that? She's blind!"

"Well, she's a singer and when she sings it gives her the ability not only just to see, but it gives her incredible power too," Fluttershy explained.

"I see." Discord said. "Well, that can come in handy during a battle. However, I did hear we have a dragon guardian at the gates this year?"

"Yup!" Fluttershy said proudly. "His name is Lord Thunder and he's the guardian of the Center Gate. He's the strongest guardian we have this time around."

Discord smiled. "Oh boy, I hope I get to meet him. Of course, I have yet to meet the guardian that works with you, my dear Fluttershy. Where is she?"

Fluttershy sighed, "She ran off somewhere. I don't know where she went. I don't blame her for running away. Applejack just will not let her be alone for a single minute. I'm surprised she spends so much time worrying about Melody when she has Firewing to deal with."

"Oh yes, that's right." Discord said. "Maybe if I hang around Applejack enough, I'll get to meet the guardian for the North Gate too. I say where does the guardian for the West Gate live?"

"I'm not sure where he lives," Fluttershy said. "But from what I was told it's in a secret location. Only Pinkie Pie's allowed in. Which makes sense considering she's paired up to work with him. From what I know of he has a very interesting personality."

Aether knew Fancy Mark really well. They went to the same school together growing up after what happened to his parents. That story always broke Aether's heart when he thought of it, though it did seem a bit off. When he met Fancy Mark at school, he noticed that Fancy Mark always stayed by himself. For some reason, Fancy Mark always cowered in fear every time he walked past a mirror. Aether asked Fancy Mark why that was, but he never told him why.

Yup, Fancy's got an interesting personality alright. Aether thought. I'm not saying anything to them about him either. I prefer to keep his private life private. Betraying his privacy is the fastest way to lose his friendship. I'm not about to let that happen. I just started to get him to trust me.

Discord and Fluttershy began to talk about the guards again. While Aether wanted to join in on the conversation like he would if he was interested in what they were talking about. But this time, since he already knew who the guardians are and what they were capable of, the conversation was of no interest to him.

Aether waved his hoof to get Fluttershy and Discord's attention again. "Uh guys, while this conversation is interesting and all, I already know who the rest of the guardians are and what they're capable of. So I'm going to go back to the South Gate again. So, see ya!"

Fluttershy nodded, "Okay Aether, see you around!"

With that, Aether headed back to the South Gate.

* * *

Firewing was starting to get on Applejack's nerves.

"Please, Firewing, can you please go hang out with somepony else?" Applejack begged exasperatedly.

She looked over to see Big Mac carrying a couple of baskets of apples over to the barn so they could be stored and turned into something else. She pointed a hoof at Big Mac. "Hey, here's an idea, why don't you go hang out with Big Mac? I'm pretty sure he'd love your help with his chores."

Big Mac heard what Applejack said. He looked over at her with wide eyes and shook his head vigorously, "Nope!"

"But, Big Mac," said Applejack. "It would speed up your workload and you have plenty to do today."

Big Mac stood firm and shook his head. "Nope!"

Applejack did a facehoof, groaned, and thought, Why me?

"So, you want to get rid of Firewing, but you can't stop hovering over me?" She heard Melody growl.

Applejack turned around and smiled. "Melody! Thank goodness you're okay. I-"

Applejack paused and her smile faded because she knew when she saw Melody's eye twitching, she was upset. Very upset. Applejack knew that Melody preferred not to show any emotions towards anypony, but when it came down to her, Melody had no trouble doing so.

"Don't you ‘thank goodness you're okay’ me, Mom." Melody snapped, spitting the last words with contempt. "How many times do I have to tell you? I'm a grown mare now! Just stop already!"

"But you can't be left alone, you're-" Applejack said.

"Blind!" Melody shouted. "Yes! I'm blind! I get it! In case you didn't notice, I've known that my whole life. I can take care of myself you know! If I couldn't do it I wouldn't have been chosen to be a guardian!"

Applejack wasn't expecting Melody to do what she did next. She heard Melody whistle two notes and watched as Melody scanned the room and stomped over to a basket of apples, which she tossed onto her back. When Melody came back to her, Applejack looked on in simmering rage as Melody dropped the basket of apples in front of her.

"I can't take care of myself, huh?" Melody said.

Everypony in the barn got a big shock when Big Mac said the most number of words he had ever said in his life. "You know, Applejack, she has a point."

Applejack's jaw dropped when she heard Big Mac say that. "You're taking her side?"

Big Mac nodded, "Eeyup!"

Applejack was steaming. She was so mad, her face turned red. She didn't bother to say anything else. She turned around and stormed off in anger.