• Published 3rd Mar 2021
  • 903 Views, 4 Comments

The Gates of Equestria - SapphireRose87



The Founders of Equestria don't know this but the bonds of friendship didn't stop the Wendigos. A group of ponies who called themselves Guardians did.

  • ...
12
 4
 903

Chapter Twelve

A blast from the past…

Prince Zoe sat on his throne listening to his subjects' complaints on important matters. He wasn't aware of the snowstorm that was outside due to the Windigos. A young adult pony burst into the throne room in a state of panic. By the looks of it he was a unicorn stallion with a white coat like snow and a short blue mane. Prince Zoe grabbed his scepter and held it out signaling that it was okay for the uninvited guest to stand up and speak.

Prince Zoe nodded. "Yes, I'm listening."

"Your highness," the unicorn said, "the Windigos are back!"

While everypony in the room gasped, Prince Zoe's jaw dropped so low to the ground he could taste it. Windigos? Aren't they supposed to be kept in the unstable magic dimission by the Guardians?

"Okay then," said Prince Zoe as calmly as he could muster the composure to be, "contact Head Guardian Flawless Victory and tell him to come to the throne room as quickly as possible!"

The unicorn tilted his head. "Head Guardian Flawless Victory? Who is that, a-and where do I find him?" the unicorn said while still working on catching his breath.

Prince Zoe shook his head and lit up his horn. He pulled out a scroll out of thin air and started to scribble a message to summon the Guardian's to deal with the Windigos. When he finished his message he floated it over to the young unicorn. "Listen it doesn't matter who Head Gaudain Flawless Victory is. Where you can find him however, is of importance. You can find him in the watchtowers where the observatory is. Now go! You must hurry before things get worse!"

The young unicorn grabbed Prince Zoe's scroll in his magic and ran off as fast as he could.

* * *

Head Guardian Flawless Victory was gearing up to go out and meet the other Guardians to deal with the Windigos when he heard a knock on the door. As soon as he opened the door he saw a young unicorn with a frantic look on his face and a scroll in his magic that had the ruler of Nintis Empire's seal on it. Head Guardian Flawless Victory knew that if Prince Zoe was sending him a message it was of great importance. The young unicorn floated the message over to him in his magic.

Head Guardian Flawless Victory took the message in his mouth and dismissed the young unicorn. He took the scroll over to his desk and proceeded to open it. He was shocked when he read the message. He had to read it at least three times before he made sure it was real.

The note read as follows:

Head Guardian Flawless Victory,

It seems that the Windigos have broken free from the unstable magic dimission. I have a feeling that if we find out the source, the reason behind them breaking out, then we can send them back to the unstable magic dimission without many problems. Remember when the Windigos even came about? It was because of ponies in this nation arguing about stupid stuff like who gets what farm land and stuff like that.

I have a feeling that the Windigos breaking out of the unstable magic dimission might be due to ponies arguing about something. What it is I don't know just know to take care of it as soon as possible. Also, when the Windigo came about a war broke out and if that were to happen then we need to be prepared.

Now time is of the essence! Gather the North Gate Guardian, the South Gate Guardian, the West Gate Guardian, the East Gate Guardian and the Center Gate Guardian, make all of you meet up with me at the Center Gate Portal. From there we should be able to pinpoint where the disturbance is so we can get the Windigos under control as soon as possible before this land becomes a wasteland where no pony can live!

I'll be seeing you soon.

Sincerely,
Prince Zoe the ruler of Nintis Empire

Head Guardian Flawless Victory nodded after he read the note for the third time. He put the scroll in a drawer underneath his desk and walked out of the room. He knew that the fate of the Nintis Empire rested in his hooves.

* * *

Back to the present...

"The Windigos! Are you guys nuts? You're suggesting that we use the Windigos against Phantasia?" Sapphire said with a shocked expression on her face. "Please tell me you're joking Elder Firefly!"

"I'm afraid not young lady." Elder Firefly said after he shook his head. He chuckled. "Although I shouldn't really call you young because you're a lot older than all of us combined. Anyway, that is a possible avenue. Should Phantasia declare war, hopefully, using the Windigos against him will give us that advantage."

"But do you realize how dangerous that is?" Sapphire asked. "If we lose control of the Windigos then they can turn Equestria into a wasteland!"

Elder Dazzleflash nodded. She spoke, "Yes my dear Sapphire we know this! But if we start training the Guardians, especially that Dragon we have guarding the Center Gate, we should have no problem driving Phantasia and his army away."

"Not to mention," said Elder Facade, "we also have the elements of harmony on our side as well!"

"But, but, shouldn't the fact that the elements of harmony working alongside the Guardians be enough to defeat Phantasia's army?" Sapphire said desperately trying to reason with the three Elders to keep them from pushing her to make this dangerous choice.

Elder Dazzleflash spoke, "Maybe and maybe not, but we need to do everything in our power to prepare in case there is a war. We've stepped up the Guardians training sessions and we're not quite sure if endurance and strength will be enough."

"In any case," said Elder Firefly, "you don't have a choice in the matter, you know how things go around here. We've made up our minds just wanted to inform you what will be happening soon. You will inform Master Shi that the Guardians will start training with their magic on how to use the power of the Windigos and that's that."

Sapphire opened her mouth to protest this once more but she closed it. She knew that if the Elder's made a choice they were informing her of that choice then it was out of her hooves. She looked down when she saw her cutie mark glowing. She sighed. "Yes Elder's I understand. I will inform Master Shi on what will start happening."

"Good." Elder Dazzleflash said. "Now we shall be off. We'll be seeing you if Phantasia does declare war."

"Yes Elders." Sapphire said. Then she tried so hard not to roll her eyes when all three Elders came up to her and patted her on the head as if they were her loving parents. Once they left, she had no idea what to think. She sat on the floor in front of her desk on her haunches trying to make sense of everything.

Those three Elders are nuts! They're just as nuts as Fancy Mark is when he talks to a mirror! I mean seriously? Windigos? Use the Windigos? I must be dream- Sapphire didn't get a chance to finish her thought she heard another knock on the door. She hesitated at first because she didn't want to see the Elder's again so soon after they just left. She brought herself to open the door and standing there was Melody.

"Oh uh Melody," said Sapphire, "sorry, forgot about your visit today. Please come in and sit down."

Melody whistled a few short tunes and nodded as she sat down on a chair that was in front of Sapphire's desk. Sapphire took her seat behind her desk.

Melody frowned. "Is something bothering you?"

Sapphire nodded. "Yes there is but I can't talk about it because it's sensitive information."

Melody nodded. "Oh. Okay then."

"So what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Uh, well I found this book called The Gates of Equestria."

"Oh you mean that stupid history book by the Unkown Scribe?"

"Yeah that one. So you know about it? But why did you tell me that you didn't know when the Gates were set up?"

"Because I really don't know. And even if I did I wouldn't tell you because it would be considered sensitive information. I can't tell ponies information that they don't need to know. Do you know why that is?"

"I guess it's just like when Pinkie decided to visit all the Guardians at every Gate putting every ponies in danger. If the information about the Gates falls into the wrong hooves then that can put everypony in danger as well."

"Exactly! The Gates of Equestria history book is just that. It's a book about the history of what happened after the Gates were set up. It's not much to go by but that's why the writer is called the Unknown Scribe."

"Yeah it was only ten chapters long, so I guess that makes sense? The first chapter was so short I guess you could call that an introduction chapter?"

"I know, I read that book before I became the Guardian of the Center Gate. I read it out of excitement for when I got picked to be a Guardian and when I was preparing for The Guardian Appointment Ceremony. Trust me, I had no idea what it meant to be a Guardian until I took on the responsibility of one. I'm sure you and the other Guardian's have learned that?"

"Yes I have. I can't speak for the others though. Especially Thunder he seems to keep to himself sometimes like Fancy Mark does. Speaking of Fancy Mark I've seen something weird about him; it only seems to happen when he walks past a mirror."

"Let me guess, he talks to the mirror doesn't he?"

"Yup and a voice talks back. I feel something dark and evil when I hear the voice but I can't place my hoof on what it is."

"I see… Well I can't really talk to his therapist because of the patient and doctor privacy thing. Which makes sense because a patient should be able to talk to their therapist about anything to help with their issues."

"Makes sense. So do you want me to keep an eye on Fancy Mark? You know, just when the Guardians are doing training and stuff like that because we're on house arrest."

"Alright then, was that all you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Yes that was it."

"Good, can you do me a favor?"

"Yes, what is it?"

"Could you summon Master Shi for me? I need to tell her something very important about what's going to be happening with you and the other Guardians training soon."

Melody nodded. "Sure I can do that."

"Thanks."

Melody got up from her seat and left the room. Once Melody left Sapphire sighed. I can't believe the three Elders would want to use the Windigos against Phantasia! They're nuts! But I don't have a choice in the matter now do I? This sucks so bad.

* * *

The next time at training as promised Master Shi summoned the Guardians to the unstable magic dimission to start training with trying to control the Windigos just in case there was a war with Phantasia.

As soon as everypony entered the unstable magic dimision all of the Guardians looked at the Windigos galloping around one in front of the other leaving a cloud of snow and ice in their wake.

"What is this place?" Aether asked as he looked up at the Windigos.

"This place is called the Unstable Magic Dimission," answered Master Shi, "this place is where all of the unstable magic is kept. This place is what keeps Equestria safe from harm so as not to turn the land into a wasteland."

"Woa!" Everypony said.

Master Shi turned her attention to the Guardians and smiled. "Yes I know this place is awesome. However, you know the old saying that goes, 'with great power comes great responsibility?"

The Guardians nodded.

"Well you all have been given the greatest responsibility of keeping Equestria safe," said Master Shi, "and now you must learn just that. You must the fullest extent on what it really means to be a Guardian. Learning how to control unstable magic is part of it."

Master Shi went over the far left corner and gripped in her magic five ropes. They didn't look like normal ropes. They looked more like beams of light that had been fashioned into ropes. She floated over one rope to each of the five Guardians. She even took out a rope for herself. She took her rope and unfolded it. She threw it at one of the Windigos and it lassoed around it's neck. The Windigo that she grabbed let out a shriek of surprise that sounded like a howling wind of a snowstorm.

As she held the rope in her magic tightly she said, "Na, Na! Na, Na! Na, Na!"

After the third time she said, 'Na, Na' the Windigo that she had in her rope calmed down and stood in front her like it were a normal horse. But even with the Windigo standing still one could still feel the chill of the winterstorm that radiated from it. She smiled and the first Guardian that she looked to was Aether. "Aether, you take the first try."

Aether looked puzzled. "Right now? Don't you want somepony like Firewing to go first?"

"Well you're the smallest Guardian here and I say you show the rest of the Guardians that big things can come in small packages!" Master Shi said with a smile.

Aether smiled at what Master Shi said.

Master Shi floated over to Aether with her rope. Aether exchanged his rope for hers. He looked at her. "Okay so.. what do I do to control this Windigo?"

"First you use this rope to connect your magic with it." Master Shi answered. "Once you do that, you should be able to direct it with three simple phrases, 'go' that phrase is very self-explanatory, 'Na-Na' which means halt or stop if you prefer, and the phrase isn't really much of a phrase because it's only one letter. It's the letter 'C' as in cat but it needs to be bellowed out as if you're shouting as loud as you can. No you don't have to know how to sing in order to do it." She took a deep breath and shouted, "CCCCCCCCCC!"

Aether blinked. "Okay. What does that mean?"

"It means charge." Master Shi said after clearing her throat.

Firewing snortd. "C? For the charge? Can't you just say the words charge instead? And the words 'Na, Na' for stop and halt? Why not say the words stop or halt instead?"

"Firewing," said Fancy Mark, "there's no need to be rude when it comes down to how things are done with the Windigos. My Dad used to say, 'don't do things if you're not going to do them how they're supposed to be done!"

Aether's eyes widened when he heard Fancy Mark scolding Firewing. Wow, what.. Just happened? He hasn't been as standoffish as he normally is.. Now he's standing up to Firewing? Somethings gotta be going on with Fancy, this isn’t like him.

"Wow," said Firewing, "Fancy you're actually saying more short sentences to me? Who are you and what have you done with Fancy? Did you replace yourself with-"

"Firewing!" Master Shi roared. "How many times do I have to discipline you for your disrespectful remarks? When are you going to learn how to hold your tongue? If you can't respect your teammates then maybe you shouldn't be a Guardian and I should ask Head Guardian Sapphire to replace you with somepony from the reserve team?"

"But Master Shi!" Firewing whined.

"You will learn how to do things the right way," said Master Shi, "and I don't care if you think how things are done is stupid or not. Got it?"

Firewing hung his head. "Yes Master Shi."

"Okay now for that last phrase that I said the letter 'C'," said Master Shi, "I want all of you to practice with me." she took a deep breath and shouted, "CCCCCCCCCC!"

All of the Guardians took a deep breath and copied Master Shi. "CCCCCCCCCC!"

"Oh and remember when you shout the letter 'C' count ten seconds before you stop. So make sure you take a really deep breath before you shout." Master Shi said.

Everypony nodded.

Master Shi turned to Aether. "Alright, use your magic and your focus training that you've been learning, connect to the Windigo. You'll know you've connected with it once the Windigo has bowed to you. It's a sign of trust and respect and when the Windigo bows to you, you bow back to show it the same respect. Got it?"

Aether nodded and then lit up his horn. He was startled when he heard a strange voice in his head say, Yes Master Aether I accept you….

He looked up at Windigo and almost dropped his rope in shock when he saw the standing in front of him bowing to him. He smiled and said, "Yes companion Windigo I accept you!"

After Aether bowed to his Windigo Master Shi clapped her hooves excitedly. "Wonderful Aether! You did that in no time at all! That's amazing!"

"Thanks," said Aether, "but.. why is getting a Windigo to bow to you amazing Master Shi? Is it not so easy for others?"

"It's amazing because sometimes it takes a Guardian weeks to get a Windigo to bow to them! You broke a record! You got it to bow to you within five minutes!" Master Shi cheered. She turned to Firewing and smirked. "I wonder, Firewing, why don't you go next? Grab your rope lasso the Windigo and get it to bow to you."

Aether watched Firewing with curiosity as he took his rope. Aether looked and smiled when he saw his Windigo watching Firewing with curiosity as well. Aether tried to hold in his laughter and hold back his teasing as Firewing tried several times just even lasso a Windigo. On top of that, the other Windigo's seemed like they were taunting Firewing with each failed attempt to lasso one of them. That's because the Windigo's started to gallop even faster in their circle and it looked like they were trying to make a tornado out of snow. The winds from the tornado the Windigos created hail that started to go toward the Guardians as Firewing tried once to lasso one of them.

What surprised Aether the most was that his Windigo jumped right in front of him shielding him and everyone except Firewing from the hailstorm the other Windigos created. After a while Master Shi grabbed Firewing's rope and that stopped the hailstorm. "Okay then, Firewing, I think that's enough for you today."

"But Master Shi!" Firewing said. "Can I keep going? I'll get it! I just know I will!"

Master Shi hesitated but then she said. "Okay a couple more tries." she turned to the rest of the Guardians. "Everypony take your rope and try to lasso a Windigo!"

The rest of the Guardians grabbed their ropes. After a moment or two the other pony that had lassoed a Windigo and got it to bow to her was Melody. Aether whistled at her when he saw that. "Nice one Melody!"

He went up to her and gave her a hoof bump. She smiled at him. "Yeah it was a little bit hard at first but I got him to listen to reason."

Aether snorted. "Yeah you go girl! I knew you had that in the bag."

Master Shi after another moment blew her whistle. "Alright that's enough Windigo training for the day! Hand me your ropes and we'll try again the next training session. Aether and Melody, you two and your Windigo's follow me."

"Yes Master Shi!" Aether and Melody said.

* * *

Aether and Melody followed Master Shi to a strange looking area. It looked kind of like a barn but with a magical barrier that surrounded the stalls. Master Shi came to a halt in front of two stalls and lit up her horn. After a moment or two the magical barriers lifted and the doors opened.

Master Shi turned to Aether and Melody and smiled. "Alright you two, bow to your Windigos and say goodnight!"

Aether bowed to his Windigo after he led it into its stall. The Windigo bowed back and Aether's smile turned into a grin when he heard his Windigo's voice inside his head. Goodnight Master Aether! I can't wait to see you again.

Aether nodded and thought, Yes I will come for you as I'm allowed to.

I know that Master Aether. Oh and one more thing. The Windigo thought.

What is it? Aether thought.

Can you please think of a name for me? The Windigo thought. I'm tired of not being referred to by a name even when somepony is talking to me.

I can do that. Aether thought.

Melody looked over at Aether after they had put their Windigo's to bed for the night.

"Did your Windigo talk to you by thought too?" Melody asked.

Aether nodded. "Yes she did. Or at least I think mine's a she? I don't know. I didn't ask what it prefered to be called.. gender wise I suppose."

"I asked mine and my Windigo is a she." Melody said. "My Windigo also wants me to come up with a name for it. Did yours say the same thing?"

Aether nodded again. "Yup, I'll guess I'll have to start thinking of one." he turned to Master Shi. "Master Shi? Is there a way I can see my Windigo outside of training?"

Master Shi tapped her chin with a hoof. "Hmm, I'll think about it. I've never heard of a Guardian asking to become one with unstable magic before. But if you can get complete control over your Windigo I'll ask Head Guardian Sapphire about it. Well we're done with training today."

Aether blinked. It surprised him that Master Shi hadn't made him and Melody run 200 laps around the track yet. "We're done for training? But we haven't-"

Master Shi put a hoof up to stop him from saying anything else. "Yes I know Aether, Head Guardian Sapphire has requested that the 200 laps around the track be dropped in training so that you can focus most of your energy on controlling your Windigos? Sometimes it takes weeks for a Guardian to get their Windigo to bow to them! And you saw Firewing's pathetic attempt to lasso a Windigo, even that's hard to do! However I do find it funny that the blind mare and the smallest stallion were the ones that broke the record in getting a Windigo to bow to them!"

Aether chuckled. "Too bad Applejack couldn't be here to see that. That would give her more than enough information to stop her from doing welfare checks all the time on Melody!"

Melody nodded. "Yeah I agree."

"Alright you two," said Master Shi, "run along now. It's time for you to go back to your Gates."

Aether and Melody nodded. "Yes Master Shi."

As Aether returned home to his Gate he couldn't stop thinking about what to name his Windigo.

* * *

Back to the past. Before Prince Zoe started ruling over the Nintis Empire...

Prince Zoe and his mother Queen Bravery were walking the castle talking about the past and what might happen in the future for the Nintis Empire.

"Remember my Prince," said Queen Bravery, "when the changelings used to inhabit this land?"

Prince Zoe nodded. "Yes I do remember. This place was a wasteland! Now that we've chased them out and their hive is gone this place is thriving. I have one question though."

Queen Bravery paused in her stride and turned to look at him. "What might that be?"

"Where is the changeling hive now?" Prince Zoe asked.

Queen Bravery shrugged. "I have no idea. Your father never told me what happened to them. Honestly, I could care less! Those bugs are horrible and awful and they didn't do anything but take things for themselves and never shared because they did whatever their Queen ordered them to."

"But isn't that what subjects do now?" Prince Zoe said. "They follow orders and they get disciplined if they don't?"

"Not exactly," said Queen Bravery, "our subjects only get punished if they break the laws of the kingdom. If they don't want to follow a direct order then that's up to them. We don't punish them for that or at least I don't. I don't know about your father though. However, I think when it comes for us to step down from the throne and hand it over to you, I think you'll make a fine ruler! And I also think that your subjects will love and adore you. The Guardians that keep control of the gates now will also adore you."

"Yeah but being popular shouldn't be everything!" Prince Zoe protested.

Queen Bravery patted Prince Zoe on the head and then rubbed it ferociously in a playful manner. "Of course being popular isn't everything when it comes down to being a ruler silly!"

"Of course duh!" They heard a voice say.

Prince Zoe's smile quickly turned into a frown when turned around and saw his dad King Star staring at him with a stern look on his face.

"Having another cute discussion with your mother again son?" King Star growled.

Prince Zoe tried so hard to keep himself from rolling his eyes when he replied. "I'm not cute."

King Star raised an eyebrow. "Uh-huh sure you're not cute! Now when you start acting like a stallion then I might just upgrade the cute phrase to handsome. Listen son, being popular is only one part of ruling over a kingdom. True there are laws in this land that subjects must abide by. If they don't they get punished. You need to keep ponies from ever thinking of rising up against you.

"The changelings took and didn't share. We take but we share, we give our subjects and trade with other lands to create an alliance. In doing so our subjects give us a debt of gratitude in return. They are thankful that we give to them and don't just bark orders all the time.

"If and when you take the throne, you will have an army. You lead and you must make sure they follow. If they don't follow your orders, discipline them and in case you're wondering what happened to the changelings…" He looked away and then hung his head. "They're dead!"

"What?" Prince Zoe gasped. "Why?"

"They were our enemies my Prince," said King Star, "when you capture your enemies during a time of war you have one of two options."

"Okay." Prince Zoe said. "What are they?"

"You either kill them or you lock them in a dungeon and make sure they don't have a way to ever rise up against you." King Star said. "When I killed the changelings, I had to make sure that they could not come back to destroy us. I tried to reason with them but they refused to listen to me and my kingdom."

Prince Zoe hung his head and ears dropped upon hearing what his father did to the changelings. He knew that the changelings were bad news but to kill them just so they can't rise up against the kingdom? To Prince Zoe killing his enemies was going way too far for him. He knew that there was no way that when he started ruling he would ever kill his enemies. He'd rather lock them in a dungeon.

"Anyway," said King Star, "have you thought of any names for your foal that you're having?"

Prince Zoe smiled. "Well uh yes! We have!"

"Well what is it?" King Star asked. "Hopefully something authoritative?"

Prince Zoe gave a nervous laugh because he wasn't sure if his dad was going like the name he picked out for his daughter.

"Well," said King Star, "tell me. What is it?"

"Um… Well… We've picked out the name Sapphire." Prince Zoe answered.

"Hmm," said King Star, "I like it! She'll be a wonderful granddaughter! That is, as long as she doesn't have a soft personality like you do." He teased.

"Hey," Prince Zoe pouted, "I'm not soft!"

"Uh-huh," King Star kept up with his teasing, "sure you're not! As I said before, when you start acting like a stallion then you'll be respected as one!"

Prince Zoe gave a nervous laugh. "We also came up with another part of her name."

King Star leaned towards his son, raising an eyebrow. "Oh? You know that the other part of her name will be Shay which is the last name of the royal family right?"

Prince Zoe nodded. "Yes, I know that. But the other part of her name that we picked out will most definitely be her middle name, honest it will!"

"Okay then," said King Star, "so what is it? Come on my Prince! Spit it out already!"

"The middle part of her name will be Rose. Her full name will be Sapphire Rose Shay." Prince Zoe said.

King Star chuckled. "Once again you've shown me why you keep earning the title of cute and not handsome. I mean seriously? Rose for a middle name? Well I guess because your daughter will be a princess and all. But how about cutting out her middle name and just call her Sapphire Shay?"

"Okay," said Prince Zoe, "how about we make a compromise? Maybe we can call her Sapphire R. Shay?"

King Star seemed satisfied with that because he smiled. "Alright then, when your daughter is born her name will be Princess Sapphire R. Shay! I like it!"

Queen Bravery smiled at the name as well. "I like the compromise between you two! See? You two can be civil towards each other." She turned to her husband. "I would keep this conversation in mind the next time you two talk."

"And why would I do that? Our dear Prince needs to learn to be a stallion!" King Star asserted. "When he starts acting like it then I hand over the throne to him and finally retire. Until then no backbone equals no throne."

Queen Bravery and Prince Zoe sighed. Honestly, the way Prince Zoe saw it he could care less about ruling if ruling over a kingdom meant being a tyrant. He also thought that if or when he started ruling, he would be a kind ruler. He would take care of his enemies but he wouldn't kill them. He decided that would be the way he would rule if he was handed the throne. He wouldn't rule over his kingdom any other way.