• Published 2nd Jun 2021
  • 1,092 Views, 56 Comments

Imperial Forclousure - The Sound of Loneliness



A young, orphaned pony discovers herself being related to one of the oldest and most powerful creatures in all the land.

  • ...
6
 56
 1,092

PreviousChapters Next
Nightmarish Interrogation

"Impressive..." Nightmare Moon musingly murmured. "How do you feel?" she asked her Shadow, who was now clad in an almost perfectly unscathed shell.

"It was painful," Shadow shuddered slightly at the memory.

"A bone grown at a fast pace can cause intense strain, but if a pony broke their leg there's no avoiding the pain," Zecora gently rubbed the changeling's mended shell.

"Can you restore her horn as well?" Nightmare Moon asked with hope.

"A cure like that is quite a task, I'm afraid I can not do what you ask," Zecora shook her head for emphasis. Nightmare Moon cast a mournful look at the still-broken horn of her most loyal subject.

"I see," Nightmare Moon responded after a pause. "You are dismissed for now. Prepare for your future patients. I have something rather urgent to attend to. Come, my Shadow."

Leaving Zecora's sanctum, Nightmare Moon maintained a swift pace. Her new... hostage might be what she required all this time.

"My Shadow, I must ask something of you. Something neither of us will be proud of."

Shadow looked curiously at her Mistress. Her ethereal body swirled nervously, instead of flowing calmly in the wind,
"I will do anything for you," she answered, as always.

"Reluctantly, I must ask you to remember your interrogation techniques," Nightmare Moon said slowly. "I have arranged for you to have the tools."

Shadow thought to herself, as they walked. Her Mistress was renowned for her mercy if not compassion. That she was asking her to employ her skills must mean that the need was dire indeed.

"Mistress, I will not deny you, but isn't there a better way? Surely, you can learn what you wish without such sacrifices."

"I hope you are correct: I am disgusted that I even ask such things of you. But I am doubtful," Nightmare Moon confessed. "You must speak of this to no one else, but our situation just became even more disadvantageous. Our forces no longer have a stable source of supplies. I am hoping to arrange for sustenance at least, but ammunition and weapons I am deliberating seizing with force. I am questioning my own wisdom in coming here. Overthrowing an established regime with these few soldiers; and little intelligence and munitions is a task for the most daring. Yet fortune graced us once still. Princess Flurry Heart has chosen to throw her lot with us rather than obey her mother. She is plotting something; I can sense it. That is why she is here and that is why she went against her own mother. I fear she might be our most dangerous opponent here."

"Perhaps she is not plotting against you in particular," Shadow offered.

"Her design involves us, I am sure of this much. I must know. If she will not speak up willingly, we must use other ways."

"Mistress, is this truly wise?" Shadow attempted to contradict more forcefully. "Princess Flurry Heart would make a powerful ally, especially if her talents are not overstated. Perhaps it would be better to offer her a token of trust?"

"That is a gamble I cannot take, my Shadow. Flurry Heart is no naive idealist, unlike Twilight. She is wise beyond her years and cunning as a raven. Mares like her are only loyal to their own cause and cannot be trusted. Go and prepare. Should your skill be needed, I shall call for you."

Shadow grimaced but bowed and left as ordered, leaving Nightmare Moon to steel herself for an impending trial. For her own honor and that of all her loyal: she had to get the truth peacefully.

Before being called to her Shadow, she arranged accommodation for her guest: Twilight should have taken care of that. Flurry had her own tent now on the far side of the hall, by the stairs leading to the castle's throneroom. Nightmare Moon heard them before she saw them:
"No, Aunty, I swear, Mom will be alright. It was a banishment spell, it rarely takes more than a minute for anyone to find the way back."

"But what if she miscast and it sent her to the shadowrealm? Or even the plane of fire?! I have to check! I have to go and check!" Loud shuffling came from the tent.

"Twilight, darling, stay calm! Remember, dear Cadance was tutored by Princess Celestia as well. She wouldn't miscast so catastrophically. I am sure she is quite alright and is regretting overreacting like that," Rarity reassured her friend.

Nightmare Moon decided not to eavesdrop and pushed the tent's cover aside. Mares inside immediately fell silent, eyeing her warily and only Flurry Heart looked her directly in the eye.

"I must have word with Flurry Heart," Nightmare Moon said gloomily. Twilight on reflex began getting up.

"It's alright, I will see you later," Flurry reassured her. Without a word, both mares left the tent and headed away. Nightmare Moon waited for them before finally speaking.

"You know exactly what I wish to know," she began without delay. "At least if your abilities are as described to me by your esteemed mother."

Flurry deeply sighed and rubbed her eyes,
"Would you believe me if I told you that it's better for everyone if you don't know?" Flurry asked without much hope.

"I cannot," Nightmare Moon responded resolutely. "I must know what your angle is to ensure the safety of those who trust me with their lives."

"No one will be hurt, I promise."

"You should know better than to promise what you know will not come to pass," Nightmare Moon cautioned. "Due to your mother's actions, we are alone and without allies. An army requires more than simple provisions."

"Have you maybe tried doing something other than threatening ponies with weapons?" Flurry pointed at her accusingly. "You wouldn't need an army if you weren't going to start a war, would you?"

"Are you another one who will try to explain to me the wonders of negotiating with those who would see me dead? Oh, wait..."

"That's not what I am saying, okay?" Nightmare Moon simply stared back at her, she was too old to play guess. "Look, if you are as good at this as everyone thinks you are, then you are better than this."

"I imagine you know exactly how good I am at this," Nightmare Moon pointed out.

"Ugh... You are a real butt sometimes, you know that? I want to help you, okay?"

"Excellent. Tell me exactly why you are helping me and why you are trying to sink your fangs into my dear sister."

"I can't. First, because it won't work if I tell you. Second, you probably would want to forget everything you heard anyway. You, of all people, know that sometimes it's better not to know something."

"If you are unwilling to cooperate, you are of no use to me."

"Won't you just trust me? I promise I will make it up to you in the end."

"Trust is precious and must be earned, Flurry Heart. You lie and betray your own mother. Why should I trust a mare like you?" Nightmare Moon did not hide her disgust.

"I didn't betray anyone!" Flurry protested. "Sometimes ponies don't know what's best for them! You know better than anyone!"

"Very well. What do, you suggest, I do?" Nightmare Moon decided to give the young princess her chance.

"I only need you to not get in the way. You don't need to do anything for me except give me some space."

"And what do you offer me in exchange?"

"I'll give you everything you ever wanted," Flurry spoke as she smirked ever so slightly.

"What do you even know about my desires? A mere child, pretending to be a farseer," Nightmare Moon looked away and peered at her troops, resting by the doors.

"I know what you are saying. You want your friend back and you'd do anything for that," Flurry answered. "But, to be honest, I think that's a load of horsecrap. Maybe you believe it yourself, maybe you don't, my gift doesn't tell me what ponies think, but I don't think it's true."

"Amazing. Now you presume to know more about my motivations than I do myself. You may not behave as nobly as your title necessitates, but your hubris would make my dear sister, Daybreaker, look humble."

"But I am right, am I not? You know it deep down too. You aren't selfish and petty, you care about other creatures, not just yourself," Flurry said with a tad of admiration. "You aren't doing this just because Luna told you to. You want ponies to be better off because of you."

"What a startling observation. Truly, worthy of the neghininan oracle," Nightmare Moon shot back sarcastically. "Of course, I wish for ponies to be better. It used to be my duty for the longest time to see to that. It is what nobility exists for. But it is no longer my duty, my former subjects have taken it upon themselves to see to their own well-being and I am glad for that. I will do what I must, but no more."

"Sure they did. They are actually doing pretty well for themselves, all things considered. But sometimes they need just a tad bit of help though."

"Oh? Is this when you finally divulge what I have been asking you all this time since our very first meeting?"

"Told you, I can't. Otherwise, it won't happen. You'll know in time and I swear that it's nothing bad. Do what you decide to do for now. But... maybe try not to hurt anyone if that's not too much to ask," Flurry sheepishly smiled.

Nightmare Moon sighed and turned back to Flurry,
"My patience is running thin. It seems to me that you need a lesson from our history."

"History? You mean you want to tell me some story you like telling Tiny and Twilight? I've seen them for myself as they happened."

"Oh, no. It's not like that. I believe you could do better with a practical lesson. We could start simple: with water. That is an ancient method perfected long before any of the currently living were even born. Then, I suppose, we could try a more modern method. Once, I saw my soldiers use a truck. They would put the captive's limbs under the wheel and drive over it. I have never tried it myself, but for them, it seemed to work well enough. Normally, a pony would have only four limbs but your alicorn biology makes the process much less susceptible to error," Nightmare Moon finished her elaborate threat. "Make no mistake, you will tell me what I want to know, one way or another."

Flurry shuddered,
"Y-you wouldn't do that!" she flatly denied. "You never tortured anyone! That's just not what you do!"

"Do you really think so? I am not so sure myself," Nightmare Moon said slowly. "I used to pride myself on my ability to get my way without resorting to such methods. It seems I have lost my edge, as it was. Regardless, I cannot allow you to harm my followers or me. If you will not cooperate willingly, I shall do what I must."

"You know... I can just teleport away..."

"Of course, but then my problem resolves itself. You are of no danger to me unless in proximity."

Flurry Heart slyly smiled at that,
"You'd be surprised..." she teased.

"Spare me. Now then, what shall it be? Shall you cooperate, flee or perhaps you will make me torture information out of you?" Nightmare Moon finished with a pointed stare.

"Fine..." Flurry gave in. "But you would have to do some things for me too if I am going to help you."

"I don't believe you are in a position of bargaining with me. But perhaps, if you demonstrate your usefulness."

"Oh, I can be useful, alright, let me tell you," Flurry huffed. "Look, I really can't tell you about what I am here for, okay? I promise it's not going to hurt anyone and it might even benefit you, from a certain perspective. You have to stop digging at me, promise me that and I will help you succeed in whatever you are planning."

"You seem unaware of just what kind of risk you represent. What is my insurance?"

"My word." Nightmare Moon actually laughed, she laughed for good ten seconds.

"Truly, a valuable commodity," Nightmare moon came down from her fit. "I have doubts on whether or not you can even provide what you are offering, your scrying seems to be unreliable at best."

"Future is always in motion," Flurry said mysteriously. "I can see all possible futures from the present, but not at the same time and not necessarily the shortest way there. It is as reliable as any of your schemes are."

"Hmm... very well," Nightmare Moon reluctantly agreed. "I am going against my better judgment; better hope that you won't prove my trust misplaced. For your sake... and for the sake of your family." Flury uncomfortably grimaced.

"Right... I have something for you right now if you'll do exactly as I say."

"As you say? No, I think not. You will do exactly as I say. Tell me everything you know about where they hold my fellow princess."

"I will, eventually, but there's something more-"

"Where. Is. Celestia?" Nightmare Moon's voice became openly threatening. Flurry nervously took a step back. Oh, boy. She could be scary when she wanted...


Rainbow Dash was sitting straightly on a chair, eyeing Princess Cadance cautiously as she reclined across the desk. Her expression was a deep frown and her eyes were thoughtful. Rainbow fidgeted uncomfortably.

""

PreviousChapters Next