• Published 2nd Jun 2021
  • 1,093 Views, 56 Comments

Imperial Forclousure - The Sound of Loneliness



A young, orphaned pony discovers herself being related to one of the oldest and most powerful creatures in all the land.

  • ...
6
 56
 1,093

PreviousChapters Next
Lady Errands

Daybreaker furrowed her brows, taking the offered list. As ancient as she was, Daybreaker could never get used to the responsibility of leadership. She was simply not made for it, as she came to realize. She was a completely different type of apple compared to both Nightmare and Celestia. It made complete sense that as soon as Luna made an effort to connect, it happened naturally. Sadly, the Lunar Princess will never forgive her for murdering her best friend. Not everyone in the world was fit to lead, some had to follow, something both she and Luna learned from experience. That is why they both accepted Nightmare's guidance.
And now, Daybreaker was once again thrust into the role she knew she could not perform. Another thing she learned well since her sister went absent was that sometimes there was no one else to do it. Daybreaker never held a high opinion of Twilight Sparkle, seeing the mare for nothing but a pawn, but she had to admit that Celestia chose her pawns well. Sparkle was courageous, highly intelligent and, perhaps most importantly, she was a leader. Sparkle wasn't ready to rule a realm but she did all she could. Daybreaker would never say it aloud, but she knew she couldn't have done better.

Upon finishing reading through the long list of everything their people required, Nightmare was unavailable to handle it, Rich refused to even touch her gold. The Princess was all alone in negotiating trade. Queen Sky Star graciously offered her help, which is why Daybreaker was soon walking through the royal mansion. It was far from the grandeur she got used to in Canterlot, but she appreciated the Queen trying to be modest, in line with her people. Hippogriffs were few and even fewer of them lived on land, and in a land like this a true palace had no place.

Daybreaker soon arrived at the Queen's dinner. She stopped directly by the door but did not enter. It was rude to intrude. Daybreaker knew better than to break the etiquette, even if the role of a petitioner in a court was below her dignity. Daybreaker sighed, straightened her rosy mane and humbly knocked, just lightly enough for the attendant on the other side to hear. The door opened with a quiet creak and a beaked head appeared in the opening. Daybreaker silently weathered the look, before the servant turned away.

"Lady Daybreaker, Milady," he reticently reported.

"Let her in, Blue Streak," Sky Star calmly answered. The servant quietly stepped away, allowing her entrance. Daybreaker stepped inside and walked up to the Queen's modestly sized table. She then respectfully bowed.

"Thank you for receiving me, Your Majesty," Daybreaker tried to not think about how much bowing to inferiors sickened her.

"No need, Daybreaker. Friends of Twilight Sparkle are my friends. Would you sit so that we can speak comfortably?" Daybreaker straightened up, pulled out a chair from underneath a round table, not unlike the one Nightmare so loved drinking her tea at. The Queen was having a deliciously smelling soup and a salad, with a cup of tea to enjoy afterwards,
"Would you like a cup? I fear I cannot offer a meal at this time."

"Yes, you are most kind, Your Majesty," Daybreaker gave a small bow with just her head. Sky Star gestured to her servant and he quickly picked up a small, porcelain teapot and another cup with a saucer from the cabinet. He then gracefully put the cup and saucer down on the table and poured her the drink. Sky Star nodded, dismissing her attendant.

"I hoped I could have an alone word with you, Daybreaker." The ancient mare tensed up after the Queen addressed her with just her name for the second time, but even if the Queen noticed, she did not show it, "I must say, you fascinate me. Your sister has already explained the arrangement you are in with your... hosts. It was also mentioned that you may sometimes both be in control. Is that a common occurrence?"

"No, Your Majesty," Daybreaker began to quickly answer, unwilling to drag the mandatory small talk more than necessary. "We are unaware of other similar instances. My sister and Princess Luna had a remarkable connection from the day they met one another. My sister never dominated Luna, as is the usual for our kind, instead Luna allowed her to control their body out of her own volition."

"That is what she told me."

"I may not say anything more behind my sister's back."

"I understand," Sky Star nodded. "Perhaps you could talk about your relations with Celestia instead?"

"There is hardly anything to talk about, Your Majesty," not mentioning that Daybreaker preferred to avoid speaking on that subject.

"How so? Surely, Celestia learned about you during her millennia-long life." Sky Star just finished her meal and picked her tea. Daybreaker quickly followed suit, it would be easier if her throat wasn't so dry.

"Princess Celestia knew, of course. I am afraid our relationship didn't resemble the one my sister had with her host," Daybreaker silently prayed that Sky Star would get the hint and piss... relent.

"I am guessing that, unlike Luna, Celestia did not appreciate your company."

"She certainly did not. Princess Celestia treated me with hostility from the moment she learned about me. I theorized that it was due to her having to exile her sister because of Nightmare,"

"Oh..." Sky Star covered her mouth with her claw. "I am sorry to hear that, Daybreaker. But she did accept you in the end?"

"Your Majesty," Daybreaker started to feel a ball growing in her throat. "I came to ask to get the aid you promised my sister. We require a liaison with whom we could negotiate our supplies and services, we lack food, spare parts for our waggons and several other positions required for our journey." Sky Star's eyes widened.

"O-of-course. I am sorry. I will arrange someone to see to your needs," the Queen promised, her voice showing her embarrassment.

"You are most kind," Daybreaker formally bowed and deliberately slowly stood up. Leaving her cup almost full.

"One more moment, Your Highness. Your sister asked for you to come to see her, she said it was important."

"Thank you," Daybreaker bowed again and went for the door, the servant opened it for her. As soon as the door closed behind her, Daybreaker closed her eyes and deeply sighed, her shoulders slumped.

"How do you make this look so easy?" Daybreaker quietly whispered. She stayed put for a few more seconds, trying to relax after the experience she was just subjected to. Then she began to lightly trot in the direction of the catacombs' entrance. The Queen was showing them great trust by allowing them to walk without escort and Daybreaker did not intend to prove that to be a poor judgement, making no detours and trying to not even look where she might see something she was not meant to see. The mansion was attended by a surprisingly small staff, there were only a few guards, two maids, Sky Star's personal servant and a cook. Nightmare's old Palace was tended to by a small army. There were almost three hundred armed guards, thirty maids, five cooks, a dozen couriers, forty clerks and a number of Nightmare's personal servants. One of them was responsible for bathwater, which she wanted to be manually heated and pooled into her tub. Another one was searching for the most exquisite salts and other bathing trinkets for her to enjoy.
Nightmare always said that her luxury was more of a status thing, befitting an Empress, but Daybreaker was still mildly shocked to find out that exactly how much she adored her bathing time. Still, after her sister made her to bathe together, Daybreaker could understand the appeal. She remembered that time with a streak of sorrow.

Daybreaker allowed herself to dwell on that thought while she was descending. It helped to remember why controlling her impulses was important. She got much better at it with years, she would never achieve complete control, which she already came to accept, but she could prevent herself from creating new disasters.

Daybreaker stopped to knock on the door leading to Twilight's hideout. Spike was soon there to open it for her.
"Good day, Lady Daybreaker," he forced himself to smile at her. Daybreaker figured his toothy grin would make ponies unsettled. Daybreaker nodded, without moving a muscle on her face. "Can I walk with you?" he asked, stepping aside for her to enter.

"You may," she answered without even looking at him. Daybreaker knew where Nightmare was without asking, so hopefully, she could forget that the dragon was walking with her.

"So, Twilight is still out," the dragon said, as soon as they began walking to the lab. And here she thought that he wouldn't be an annoyance. "She is alright though. We had a doctor to come and she said Twilight is just tired." Daybreaker didn't say anything. They walked for another dozen steps before Spike started again, even more awkwardly: "Your sister was working at Twilight's lab nonstop since you left. I came to check up on her, but she just sent me to do some chore every time." Daybreaker ignored him again, this time the dragon seemed to have gotten the hint.

Upon entering the library, Daybreaker immediately noticed a change. At the entrance to the lab, the heavy, armored door was still lying inside. The orange, glowing, vortex could still be seen inside. What was new is several tables all put together directly in front of the chamber, with books and paper stacks piled on them,
"Where is the foal?" Daybreaker suddenly asked, making Spike jump.

"A-ah! M-miss Tiny? She is with Twilight. Your sister said it was the best place for her at the moment. I asked if I should get her back to the surface but-"

"Nightmare!" Daybreaker hailed, seeing her sister exiting the lab with a piece of red crystal floating with her. Quite happy to get an opportunity to get rid of the babbling idiot at her side. The ghostly mare gave her a stare with her piercing, slitted eyes and then continued to the table. Daybreaker did the same.

"Sister, I imagine our hostess has passed my request," Nightmare Moon said while occupying herself with the research on the table and without even looking up at her sister.

"Yes, Nightmare. I was there addressing our supply needs. The Queen is cooperative, but our sisters miss you. They've been asking if you would come back soon."

"In a few days," Nightmare Moon said, still consumed with notes on the table. "Sister, I believe I know what happened to our dear friend," Daybreaker barely restrained from scoffing at the notion. "Spike, where did Twilight get this from?" Nightmare Moon dropped the reddened crystal on the table.

"Well... I don't know," the dragon shrugged. "She doesn't tell me everything. ...But it does look familiar," he said after a short pause.

"I imagine it would. Spike, this is one of King Sombra's magical crystals. He used these to cast spells while his... physical form was unfit," Nightmare Moon suddenly looked directly at the purple dragon. "Spike, this is very important, where did she get it?"

"Oh! So that's where I've seen it before!" Spike scratched his chin. "Twilight never said anything about bringing any with her from Crystal Empire. I have no idea how it could end up this far south, especially since Sombra is gone... right?"

The mares exchanged a long look.

"Spike, I won't say anything to otherwise disrespect your friend, but Twilight did not keep you well informed," Nightmare Moon said flatly. "Sister, we need to find the Shadow King. He won't move away from Luna for long."

"Is this why you called for me? You must already have a plan."

"I have an... idea. Sister, how much geology did Celestia study?"

"That is quite a random question," Daybreaker remarked.

"Wait, what about that thing over there?" Spike pointed at the door. "Won't you stop it from doing that siphoning thing again? You said it is dangerous, isn't it?"

Nightmare Moon gave Daybreaker a heavy stare, at which she rolled her eyes but didn't look away. It was Nightmare who insisted on being courteous even to the undeserving,
"Spike, allow me to speak plainly, we are not here to correct Twilight's mistakes. We are here on our way to find Princess Luna. We hoped that Twilight could help and we found what we needed. We saved Twilight from her own failure, she is not stupid enough to do the same mistake twice," Nightmare Moon indeed spoke unusually directly. "We will be on our way as soon as we can trace the Shadow King's crystal."

"Wait, sister, where did you find it?" Daybreaker asked, suddenly having an idea of her own.

"I found it among the litter on the floor once I cleared most of the rubble. I believe Twilight attempted to use it for whatever spell she intended to cast."

"No, sister, this is not an ingredient, this is the product of her spell!" Daybreaker exclaimed at how obvious it now sounded to her now.

"A good guess, Daybreaker, but I don't believe so. Twilight wouldn't put her life in danger to simply charge a crystal. She never was so careless, not even when she was young and naive. The only way it might have..." Nightmare Moon stopped in the middle of the sentence. "...if Sombra fooled her." She finished after a short pause. "He is here," she said definitively.

"I will speak to the Queen immediately," Daybreaker prepared to leave.

"No, she will be completely useless to us in this matter. Even if hippogriffs had a chance of finding him, they could not trap him. Their weapons are useless for the likes of us. Let the dead settle their own differences, sister. I will deal with this myself. You and Spike, make sure Twilight is rested and on her hooves within a day. Allow her to join us on our journey, if she wishes, but do not insist if she refuses."

"Won't you at least tell us your plan?" Daybreaker cautiously asked.

"Oh, I do not intend to do anything dangerous. I will simply give the King what he wishes for. Afterwards, he will tell me all we need to find Luna."

"And what if he is uncooperative?"

"Then Luna will find us herself. Now, leave me. I will be back in our camp tomorrow."


The news left Daybreaker distraught. Even more so when she was told to sit idly and wait.

"Careful with your mane, young Miss," Shadow was still foal sitting their young sister. Daybreaker understood why Nightmare won't simply delegate caring for her to Rich, just as it was before, but Nightmare went beyond it. Watching Shadow teach her to groom herself, Daybreaker almost felt jealous. She knew, of course, that the changeling was only doing that to take her attention away from any potentially dangerous pursuits and only because she saw her relationship with Nightmare, but Daybreaker felt almost jealous of the treatment nonetheless.
What made it worse is that she was directly ordered to stay there, with Twilight sleeping next to her. She could not leave and was forced to look to watch as her own retainer lavished a commoner with attention.

Daybreaker attempted to focus her attention on Twilight instead. She was not hot to touch and was breathing steadily, she could wake up at any moment now. Spike noticed her checking and mimicked her as if he would know anything about pony medicine. Daybreaker gave him a sharp glance but did not discourage him otherwise. Conflicts were messy, she preferred to avoid them now.

"Aghh..." Twilight subtly groaned.

"Quiet down, she is waking up," Daybreaker ordered without looking away from Twilight. The purple alicorn groaned again and shifted slightly in her bed, her eyes opened lightly, before blinking closed again.

"The light..." she moaned.

"Careful now, Twilight. Don't get up yet, you are still weak," Daybreaker gently put her foreleg on Twilight's chest to discourage an attempt.

"Princess... Celestia?" Twilight asked weakly. Daybreaker sighed.

"I am afraid not, Twilight," she said honestly.

"What... happened?" she opened her eyes again and gave Daybreaker an unfocused look.

"You had an accident in your lab, Twilight," Spike said, making her aware of him too. "We came as soon as we knew, Her Majesty brought Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker, they quickly tore your door wide open to get to you. Shadow is here too if you want to see her," Spike stood away, letting the changeling step closer.

"Your Highness," Shadow said in a hoarse voice and bowed with her head.

"How are you all here?" the Princess was hazy, but she was coming back quickly.

"We came to seek your help in finding Luna, Twilight," Daybreaker explained. "Nightmare was abruptly brought back, we have been on the road ever since. She expressed hope that you would join us in search for Luna as well."

"Search for Luna?" Twilight parroted. "But I don't know anything about her. I haven't seen her in decades."

"You had contact with King Sombra, Twilight," Daybreaker pointed out. "Nightmare is conversing with him as we speak."

"Is she mad at me?"

"I don't think so, Twilight. Seeing you well again well after so many years will bring her great joy. I believe, she would be proud of how well you did, considering how much was thrust on you after her death," Daybreaker added, despite herself.

"There's no time," Twilight made an attempt to get up.

"Nightmare ordered me to ensure that you rest," Daybreaker pressed her back down.

"Lady is right, Twilight. You overworked yourself and needed rest for a long time," Spike rallied to the sun mare's support.

"You don't understand! I have to finish the spell!"Twilight tried to resist, but even though she was much larger now, she still couldn't overpower Daybreaker in her weak state. "Let me go, damn you!"

"Language, Twilight," Daybreaker said, entirely unphased. "Nightmare will not tolerate her Princess talking in this way."

"To Tartarus with etiquette! We are going to die if I don't finish the spell!" Twilight exclaimed, attempting to sit again.

"Twilight, calm down," Daybreaker continued to press the alicorn down into the bed. "Explain, what was that you were doing?"

Twilight took a deep breath,
"Two days ago Sombra came to me with a request. He said he needed crystals charged and he will use those to help Nightmare Moon get back. I tapped into..." Twilight suddenly stopped and gave Daybreaker a long and cautious stare.

"Twilight, if this is as urgent as you say it is, I have to tell Nightmare now! We have no time for games!" Daybreaker was losing her temper.

"Spike, tell me my first research you remember?"

"What is the meaning of this? Get to the point, or I swear, I will drag you to Nightmare by your neck!"

"Lady Daybreaker, I-I am sorry," Spike promptly leapt to his friend's aid. "This is a check, Twilight is a little paranoid after... well, she will tell you herself once she is better," he quickly explained. "Your first research I remember was you researching how to care for baby dragons," he blushed on his purple face, having to say it aloud.

"Celestia said that you were overreacting after the third day of never seeing you out of your library," Daybreaker said with a somber sigh, surprising herself at how sad it made her to remember. Silence reigned in the room.

"I was trying to siphon energy from Istir, it is an ancient fire elemental," Twilight said in the end, making Daybreaker's eyes shoot wide open. "I was studying it and thought it would be good to experiment. I know it sounds stupid now."

"Who told you about her!?" Daybreaker barely restrained herself from hopping face to face with the younger alicorn.

"Eh... Twilight, you fancy explaining what 'an elemtnal' is?" Spike spoke up shyly.

"It's complicated, Spike," Twilight rubbed her forehead. "I was trying to track Ivory Crescent's activities, mostly out of boredom, when I suddenly came upon them chanting that name in a circle. I guessed it might be an elemental, so I tried with summoning the most ancient elemental I knew the name of and it told me only how to reach Istir. It has boundless energy, so I thought if I could harness-"

Daybreaker suddenly turned on her heels and galloped out of the room, leaving everyone present to exchange mute, confused stares.

PreviousChapters Next