• Published 3rd Feb 2021
  • 787 Views, 49 Comments

Fallout: Harmony - Foreverking0



A Fallout/MLP crossover. Equestria is Invaded by dimensional portals dropping wasteland horrors, Only 3 can help.

  • ...
6
 49
 787

Ponyville reception

Fluttershy watched the trees go by as the train carriage rode the rails down to Ponyville. She had held it in since she had awoken this morning. First, it had been Rarity asking if she was alright, knocking on her door in the morning. Fluttershy told her she was okay. Then Applejack stopped her at breakfast to ask how she was holding up, Again she said she was okay. Pinkie had been more subtle, yet persistent. A cupcake on a plate appearing next to her, an 'accident' leaving the local staff covered in flour, and eventually just a hug with no words. Fluttershy did not laugh but did tell pinkie she was okay. Twilight gave her own nervous apology and told Fluttershy if she needed anything in the future that she could ask. When heading to the station, Rainbow Dash kept close to Fluttershy. They took the first train to Ponyville, the line having been closed since the invasion.

It wasn't until halfway down the mountain that the others began to process what had just happened over the last two days. Fluttershy caught some of it, parts of the conversation out of context. At times they would talk about what had actually happened, and other times what the ramifications could be. Fluttershy's mind drifted off, watching the scenery change. The landscape slowly turned to grassy fields and then farms. The distinct look of Ponyville eventually came into view, the track turning towards the town outskirt. Fluttershy brought herself back to reality just before the train reached the station.

"Rainbow, even if the princesses didn't intervene, I just don't think the guard is the right choice for you." Twilight was telling Rainbow Dash.

"What, you don't think if have what it takes?" Rainbow shot back.

"It's not that sugar cube, you would hate the stuff they make you do. Ah heard you must wake up like us farmers, right at the crack of dawn." Applejack told Rainbow.

"oh oh, and always getting told what to do!" Pinkie Pie joined in.

"And stand around all the time," Applejack added.

"Hey, I could do all those things!" Rainbow countered.

Rarity and AppleJack gave each other a knowing look.

Twilight gave the girls a dirty look and addressed Rainbow Dash.

"Besides, Rainbow, Didn't you plan to join the Wonderbolts?"

"Exactly, and I would still have to do all those things then as well!" Rainbow almost shouted, getting glares from the few other passengers.

"Yes, but you can't be a part of both," Twilight told Rainbow.

"So? I'll just leave the guard when I want to join the Wonderbolts!" Rainbow Dash argued.

Twilight looked into Rainbow Dash's eyes, searching for something.

"why are you doing this?" Twilight asked, with no judgment in her voice.

"I... I can't just sit here and do nothing" Rainbow vented, her muscles seizing up from the stress.

"We're not asking you to," Applejack reassured.

"yeah, well it feels like it." Rainbow dismissed, preferring to look at the floor than her friends.

The carriage became quiet, quiet enough to hear the brake activate as the train stopped at the station.

"Ponyville Station!" the Conductor called from outside the carriage.

While the others collected their luggage, Rarity in particular collected her small wardrobe in bag form, Fluttershy grabbed her small bag of toiletries and left the train.

Fluttershy's pupils shrank and her posture stiffened as she saw the crowd that had gathered around the station. She decided to step aside and wait for the others to leave the train. Each of her friends left the train one by one, each reacting with differing levels of surprise at the mob.

just out of view, two fouls appeared sprinting across the platform. one white, one yellow.

"Rarity!" one shouted

"AppleJack!" shouted the other.

Sweetie Bell and Apple Bloom, tackle their respective big sisters with a hug.

"They said the monsters got Canterlot. We all feared the worst, Sweetie even cried." Apple Bloom told Applejack and Rarity.

"I did not!" Sweetie bell defended.

"You did too!" Apple Bloom shot back.

Fluttershy moved on to see the local independent reporters trying to get answers out of Ponyvilles local princess.

"Princess Twilight, Ever since the sudden flash and smoke could be seen from Canterlot, rumour has it the city was attacked. With little to no authentic reports from the city, can you shed any light on the situation?" One reporter asked.

"Snappy Scoop, you know how I feel about being called that," Twilight responded.

"Sorry miss Sparkle, I'm on a job, so gotta be professional." The reporter replied.

"Can you elaborate on the state of the capital, has Canterlot been attacked?" Another reporter pushed.

"Well yes, Howev- " Twilight started, before the crowd bust into a fury of questions.

Fluttershy stood back against the train, trying to create as much distance from the crowd as she could. The rest of her friends, as well as the two fillies, watched as Twilight was swamped with camera flashes and questions. Eventually, Twilight's inexperience with the media was trumped by her absolute experience with teleportation spells. Suddenly all eight of them were in the library. Rainbow Dash, who had been leaning against the train, fell backwards onto a shelf. three books that had been precariously placed fell down and landed on her head.

"Could you warn us your gonna do that next time?" Rainbow asked Twilight, as she rubbed her head.

"Sorry Rainbow, it was just too much. I didn't think we would make it off the platform. Besides, after the last few days, I'm tired and want to sleep in my own bed," Twilight told Rainbow Dash, lowering her head as she started to look fatigued.

"Twilight?" Came From upstairs, where a little purple dragon was standing at the top.

"Oh, hey Spike, I'm back," Twilight said, some of the stress leaving her posture.

Spike sped down the stairs and hugged her.

"Spike, what's wrong?" Twilight asked, the tiredness temporarily elevated by concern and confusion.

"Everypony has been talking about Canterlot, that something had gone wrong. We all saw the smoke, and after the last time... I was scared, that I would never see you again." Spike told Twilight, even as his face was buried in her fur.

Twilight looked down at her baby dragon, first in understanding then adoration. She lowered her head and nuzzled spike with her cheek.

"It's an okay spike, I'm safe... And I'm not going anywhere."

Everyone watched the two, Fluttershy even allowed herself this moment of wholesomeness, and then Applejack spoke up.

" Well, we probably should leave ya to unwind. See ya later Twi."

Everyone took the queue and left the Golden Oak Library.

"Spike, lock the door. As far as I'm concerned, everything out there can wait. Let's go make co-co." Fluttershy heard Twilight say from inside, the door closing right after.

"Well, let's go make tracks Appebloom. granny is probably worried sick." Applejack told her sister as they both started walking away.

Applebloom froze in place, then jumped on the spot.

"Oh shoot! Tracks! We left scoots tried on the train tracks!" The little ball of yellow and red said.

Applebloom and Sweetie Bell both galloped back towards the station.

"Wait, WHAT!?" Applejack shouted, Followed by Rarity shouting "Train Tracks?!"

Both Applejack and Rarity shot off in pursuit, the panic evident on their face.

Rainbow Dash chuckled at the antics, then stopped to consider what she had heard. She hovered in the air, tapping her hoof to her chin, then gave a shrug.

"They'll be fine." She seemed to say to herself.

Fluttershy decided it was time to take her to leave. However, before she had even made it a yard from her starting point, she noticed a certain pegasus was still behind her. Fluttershy stopped and turned around. The act seemed to confuse Rainbow Dash.

"Um, Rainbow, did you need something?" Fluttershy asked.

The question seemed to click what Rainbow was doing.

"Oh!... Nah, I'm...good. I just...." Rainbow didn't finish her sentence, but instead looked down and rubbed the back of her head. Even if Rainbow couldn't say it, Fluttershy knew it.

"I'm okay. But I understand if you want to walk me home," Fluttershy offered.

That seemed to put Rainbow Dash at ease.

"Thank Shy. I know it's stupid, but after what you went through, I just want to be sure." Rainbow Dash told her.

The trip back to her cabin went quietly. Fluttershy knew that Rainbow Dash was never good at explaining her feelings or thoughts. Fluttershy could sympathise, since opening up to others was difficult for her too, just in different ways. This was Rainbow's way of showing she cared, by being protective.

Arriving at a familiar building on the edge of the Everfree, Fluttershy opened the door to her house and walked in. Just as she turned and began to close the door, a cyan hoof stopped her.

"Hey... Are you sure you're doing fine?" Rainbow asked.

"I'm okay Rainbow, I'm just... Tired." Fluttershy told her friend, as she held it back.

Rainbow scrutinised her once over, before removing her hoof.
"Okay... See ya later Shy." Rainbow Dash told her friend, then flew away.

Fluttershy closed the door with a subtle click. She wasn't in the clear yet, so she headed towards the stairs. At the bottom was a familiar white bunny, and he was pissed.

"Hello Angel, sorry I was gone for so long," Fluttershy said softly.

The Bunny was having none of it, gesturing to his empty food bowl. Fluttershy knew it was an act of attention-seeking since she always had emergency reserves just for this scenario.

"I'll handle it tomorrow, I promise."

Angel seemed miffed at the response, but his anger turned to concern as Fluttershy dragged herself up the stairs.

"I'm Okay Angel, I just need some sleep."

The Bunny wasn't buying it and tried to stop her. Fluttershy went around him. He followed her up the stairs and to her room. Fluttershy watched Angel as he watched he close the door on him. Bothering with nothing else, Fluttershy made her way to her bed. She didn't bother pulling back the sheet, she just laid on top of them. She could feel the tears rolling down her face as she curled up on her bed.

Then she stopped holding back, for she was not okay.

Author's Note:

Just a filler piece. Needed something to move the shift from day to day, to a more spread-out pace.