• Published 25th Dec 2020
  • 193 Views, 5 Comments

Wind Chill's Hearth's Warming - Nebula Star



Wind Chill has her holidays changed forever by Maestro a young colt and musical prodigy.

  • ...
 5
 193

Chapter 2: The Prodigy

Wind Chill’s Hearth’s Warming
By: Nebula Star

Chapter 2: The Prodigy

***

“So, you never get cold?”

Wind Chill smiled at Maestro’s question. They were almost to her home, and the little colt had been non-stop on the way back, but she didn’t mind. “Nope. My body temperature can change according to my surroundings, so I never feel cold.”

He looked up at her. “Oh, is that why the snow wasn’t melting on you when I found you?”

She nodded, mildly surprised that he’d make that connection. “Yep, my body was just as cold as the snow, so it didn’t melt.”

“But, after we were throwing snowballs, the snow was melting on you then.” He pointed out.

“That’s because when I’m happy, then my body warms up, no matter the temperature.” She explained.

“Were you not happy before I got here?” He asked, sounding surprisingly concerned.

“Well, I have to be really happy to warm up, and draining my magic is kind of a chore.” Wind Chill hedged, not wanting him to worry.

“Were you bored?”

“Kind of.” She smiled over at him and bumped his shoulder as they walked. “But you fixed that.”

He grinned, then looked ahead. Wind Chill looked as well. The direction they were coming from, they’d pass through her family’s gardens before reaching the house, and just as she’d expected, she spotted her mother doing some work in the garden. “Hi, mom! We’ve got some company!” She called.

With a pale pink coat and purple mane, Tundra Blossom, while she would still blend in with a crowd of ice unicorns, wasn’t quite as icy colored as most of their kind. She looked up at the sound of her daughter’s voice and smiled seeing the colt following by her side. “Is that Maestro!?” She called.

“Hi, Mrs. Blossom!” He called back, waving with one wing.

“Hello, Maestro! You’ve gotten so big!” Blossom said as they got closer.

He blushed but looked proud at the same time.

“Is your mom here?” She asked curiously.

“Nah,” Wind Chill answered. “Maestro here, found me draining my magic over in the gorge.”

“We had a snowball fight!” Maestro said, excitedly.

“You did?” Blossom said smiling at his enthusiasm.

He nodded but at the same time noticed what Blossom had in a large basket next to her. “You’re picking strawberries!? I thought they couldn’t grow here!”

“Well, it takes a little work,” Blossom told him with a wink. “but I’ve got a little advantage.” She lit her horn glowing as she levitated up a large strawberry from the basket and gave it a toss, “Catch!”

Maestro jumped and with a snap of his jaws, sank his little fangs into the bright red fruit. “Itsso gud!” He exclaimed and happily devoured the treat.

“So what brings you here, Maestro?” Blossom asked as he finished.

“Oh, uh, Wind Chill said she had to drop off some stuff.”

Wind Chill smiled and went ahead and explained. “I thought I’d walk Maestro home, but I had to drop this off,” she nodded to her laden saddlebags, “and I thought I’d check when you were planning to do dinner.”

Blossom smiled. “I see, well I’m sure Whisper will be glad to see you. I was planning on starting dinner in a little bit, but I can wait a little longer until you get back. Did you get everything?”

She nodded and sighed. “There were a few issues, but I got everything.”

Blossom gave her daughter a considering look. She knew all too well why she’d have to drain her magic after a day at the market. But in this case, she decided to leave it for later. “Ok, well get those put away before you go. It’s good to see you, Maestro, say hi to your mom for me.”

“I will! Bye Mrs. Blossom! Thanks for the strawberry!” Maestro said happily and turned to follow Wind Chill as she made her way to the house.

“Goodbye Maestro,” she called after him with a warm smile.

Wind Chill led him into the kitchen where she removed her saddle bags and quickly levitated everything to its proper place while Maestro looked on in awe. In moment she was finished. “There we go, now let’s get you home.”

“That was amazing! You’re really good at that!”

She smiled, going to the front door. “Well levitation is something all unicorns learn,” she told him as she let him out.

“But you were levitating so much at once!” He said making a little hop off the door step as he did.

“That just takes a lot of practice,” she said modestly and closed the door behind them. “Now if I remember right, you live right by the north park, don’t you?”

“Yep!” He said enthusiastically.

“Alright, let’s go then,” Wind Chill said and started off following the path out to the road. It wasn’t a long walk, even taking a route that stayed out on the edge of town. Even so, the entire way, Maestro kept up a constant chain of questions; this time about what kinds of fruit Wind Chill liked, and what her mother grew in their garden. He was especially curious how her mother managed to grow fruit that usually couldn’t grow in the desert climate. She wound up spending most of the walk explaining how her mother used her magic to adapt the plants to the local climate. Wind Chill didn’t mind, she was just happy to have someone to talk to who wasn’t radiating barely concealed hatred for her and her family; even if he was only eleven years old.

“You really like strawberries, huh?” Wind Chill asked as they approached a line of houses along the park. Being a town primarily founded by earth ponies, and still predominantly populated by Earth Ponies, most houses were built on larger lots so they had space for their own gardens. But Whisper Song, being nocturne, and married to a unicorn; theirs was the only house on the row that didn’t have a garden, and was just a well-maintained grass lawn instead.

Maestro nodded eagerly. “They’re one of my favorites!”

“I’ll have to see if mom can spare an extra basket for you and your parents,” Wind Chill told him with a smile.

“That would be great!” He said hopping in the air with a little flap of his wings, then galloped across the lawn to the front door of his family’s home. “Come on in!” He called back to her as he opened the door.

Wind Chill hesitated but decided it would be alright, it was Maestro’s home after all. She followed him inside. They’d only just entered the living room of the house when they heard a tired sounding voice call from down the hall. “Maestro, is that you?”

“Hi, mom! I wasn’t sure if you’d be awake yet.” Maestro said happily bouncing over toward the dimly lit hall just as a slightly disheveled looking nocturne mare stepped out into the room.

“Oh, I didn’t know we had guests!” Whisper Song said looking a little embarrassed when she saw Wind Chill.

“Yeah, Maestro here found me draining my magic and I decided to go ahead and walk him home.” Wind Chill explained, a little sheepishly.

Whisper Song glanced at her son and smiled. “I see, well it’s good to see you, Wind Chill. How have you been?”

“I’ve been alright.” Wind Chill told her mostly for Maestro’s benefit.

“And your mom?”

“She’s doing good; she and dad are talking about having a foal.” Wind Chill said with a smirk.

Whisper’s eyes widened. “Oh, really!” She smiled. “Well it’s about time!”

Wind Chill smiled. “Yeah, I guess they considered having a foal when I was starting school but then when my magic came in… well they thought it might be more than they could handle. But now that I’m helping out more, they decided it might be the time.”

“Good for them; I hope it works out.”

“Just so long as they keep it down when I’m at the house.” Wind Chill said with a smirk.

She snorted. “Yes, I would hope so.”

Maestro glanced between them, not getting what was funny. After a moment he decided he didn’t care and instead pulled on one of Wind Chill’s front hooves with a wing. “Come on! I want to show you my instruments!”

“Your instruments?” Wind Chill asked curiously.

“Maestro.” Whisper Song said in a stern, mother’s voice. “Have you cleaned your room today.”

He froze and looked up at his mother, blushing with a sheepish smile.

She gave him a knowing look. “Why don’t you go tidy up a bit before you show Wind Chill.”

“Okay!” He said and galloped off down the hall.

Whisper Song watched him go with an indulgent smile. “So he found you when you were draining your magic?”

“Yeah, nearly gave me a heart attack, in fact.” Wind Chill told her.

She raised a brow, clearly wanting her to elaborate.

“I was laying there, just letting my magic drain, thinking there wasn’t another pony for miles around. Then all the sudden there’s a pair of golden eyes just inches from my face, and he yells ‘Hello!’”

Whisper Song laughed. “Oh my. That would be quite a surprise.”

“Anyway, after that, with the snow everywhere, we had a little snowball fight. Then I decided to walk him home, since he apparently hadn’t come home after school.” Wind Chill told her.

“Yes,” she said heavily. “He often doesn’t come home right away. He likes to fly around town after school. I wish he’d come straight home, but I know it’s lonely for him when I’m still asleep.”

“Yeah, that’s what he said.” Wind Chill agreed softly.

“Thanks for looking out for him.”

Wind Chill smiled. “To be honest, it’s refreshing how positive he is. I haven’t felt a single negative emotion from him.”

“None?”

Wind Chill glanced at her. “No, why?”

She sighed. “I just worry about him sometimes. He doesn’t have any friends his own age, and sometimes I wonder if his optimism is forced.”

“He doesn’t have any friends at school?” Wind Chill asked, surprised that such an upbeat and friendly colt could be without friends. “Why not?”

“I suppose you could say, you and him have a bit in common.”

Wind Chill looked at her wondering what she meant. She knew from what her mother had told her that when Whisper Song had been a foal, the nocturne had been persecuted and outcast. “The other foals aren’t mistreating him because he’s a nocturne are they?” She asked, feeling her anger rising that anyone would mistreat such a positive and friendly young colt for simply being a different race.

“Oh, no, not because he’s a nocturne.” Whisper song said quickly. “But I’m afraid he has become a bit of an outcast.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s a genius.”

Wind Chill blinked, not expecting that answer. “What?”

She smiled looking toward the hall where her son had gone. “My little Maestro is a musical prodigy. That’s why he wants to show you his instruments. He’s got over a dozen now. He can learn to play an instrument in a few days and in just a couple weeks he’ll be playing better than somepony who’s practiced for years.”

“Really?” Wind Chill asked, stunned.

She nodded. “But that’s only the start of it. He’s also learned to write music as well. He’s only eleven, and yet he’s written symphonies that have prominent members of Equestria’s music scene raving! He even regularly conducts at the city concert hall!”

Wind Chill could only stare. The Dodge City Concert Hall was a point of pride for the city. Home of the Frontier Orchestra, it was primarily used for the group’s musical concerts, though it also had a full stage for plays and other performances. She wasn’t very much into the music scene, but even Wind Chill knew that in recent years, the Frontier Orchestra had become even more popular than the Royal Canterlot Orchestra, due primarily to their willingness to perform more modern music of almost any genre. For Maestro to be writing music and conducting for such a prestigious group at his age was astounding. “I had no idea. I don’t recall mom mentioning anything about it.”

“I’m very proud of my little colt, but I’m afraid, because of his talents and his love for music, the other foals his age think he’s strange.” Whisper Song said sadly. “And with how often he’s busy with the orchestra on the weekends and sometimes other nights as well, he often doesn’t even have time to spend with other foals. Not that any have ever invited him. Most the other foals won’t even talk to him. It’s gotten so bad that some days he doesn’t even want to go to school.”

Wind Chill looked toward the hall where they could hear Maestro quickly cleaning up his room. “And I imagine coming home to a quiet house doesn’t help.”

A pained look crossed Whisper Song’s face. “No, I imagine not.”

Wind Chill frowned, thinking. “You know, if he wants to, he could come stay at our place in the afternoons. I’d be glad to watch him for you.”

She looked over at Wind Chill, seeming surprised. “You would?”

“Well yeah, I mean, it’s not like I ever go anywhere. I could easily watch him for a couple hours in the afternoons. And I’m sure my mom would love to have him as well.” She didn’t know what she was thinking, making such an offer, she just knew she couldn’t stand the thought of little Maestro feeling alone and outcast… like she often did.

Slowly, Whisper Song smiled, a grateful look in her eyes. “That would be wonderful! If Maestro wants to, I’d love to be able to sleep knowing he’s safe with someone I trust.”

Before Wind Chill could respond, they heard little hooves galloping down the hall. “Done!”

Wind Chill and Whisper Song exchanged glances and Wind Chill grinned. “Alright, Maestro, so what did you want to show me?”

He grinned. “Come on!” He said and quickly led the way back past a couple doors that she guessed were a closet and bathroom, then took the third door opening to a rather large bedroom for a young colt. Not that there was a lot of empty space. All around the room were stands holding a variety of instruments. From strings to woodwinds, percussion to brass. It was practically a small orchestra. In one corner she saw a large cello, as well as what she thought was a violin, though it might have been a little smaller, she wasn’t sure. There was also a tuba, and a trombone, and a couple woodwinds that Wind Chill didn’t know the name of.

In one corner of the room was a desk with what looked like hoof-written sheet music spread across the surface. Next to it was a small bookshelf stacked with dozens of folders holding what appeared to be more sheet music, some hoof-written, as well as some printed copies. Almost as an afterthought, there was a small colt’s bed in the corner opposite the desk. Near the bed was a small stereo along with a shelf full of records.

The walls were mostly decorated with more abstract posters featuring musical notes or instruments, however there were three posters that broke the pattern.

“Aren’t you a little young to be decorating your walls with pretty mares?” Wind Chill asked with a smirk.

He looked up at her, confusion plain on his face. “What do you mean.”

She suppressed a giggle. “Never mind. Who’s this?” She asked gesturing to one of the posters. The mare shown was a white unicorn with a curled two-tone mane in purple and pink. She was certainly attractive; enough so that Wind Chill couldn’t help feeling just a bit jealous; but it was clear that that wasn’t why Maestro had her on his walls.

He glanced at the poster and then looked back at her; his eyes wide. “You’ve never heard of Sweetie Belle!?”

Wind Chill blushed. Obviously, she was a big deal to Maestro, but while the name sounded vaguely familiar, she couldn’t place it. “Uh, not really.”

“She’s the greatest singer ever!” He exclaimed. “I have all her albums! Even her showtunes album!”

Wind Chill bit her lip. “I uh… don’t listen to a lot of music.”

“You don’t?” He said, sounding almost horrified.

“I just, never really took time to. I’m usually helping my mom around the house and out in the garden and don’t really have time to listen to music,” she explained weakly.

“But, you have to have some time!”

“I also don’t have a player myself.” She admitted. “My mom has one, but I don’t have my own.”

“You don’t!? How can you not have a player!?”

“I just never saw a need.” Wind Chill told him weakly.

He stared at her stunned. “You...” He trailed off. His look became determined, and he dashed over to his stereo. With one wing he deftly took an album from the shelf, while removing the record that was on the turntable from the other. In no time at all, he’d exchange the two, and carefully lowered the needle switching on the system. The first notes started on what seemed a soft pleasant melody began. It built a bit, leading into the vocals, and then the singer, who she assumed to be Sweetie Belle, began to sing.

Immediately she could hear why Maestro considered her the greatest singer ever. Her voice was powerful, and yet gentle, portraying emotions so clearly that they pierced you to the core. The song began all about the joys of a friendship that they thought would never end. Then turned somber as the friends drifted apart, their lives going in different directions. Wind Chill felt tears coming to her eyes as the words turned to mourning the friendship that once was. But then the song turned joyous again as she sang of an unexpected reunion and the renewal of their friendship that then became so much more. Finally, with an almost triumphant final verse, the song ended singing of such love as she’d never known.

As the last notes faded, Maestro quietly lifted the needle and stopped the player. Wind Chill didn’t say anything for a few moments; while the verse about the loss of friendship had nearly brought her to tears, the last verse had definitely pushed her over that threshold. “That was… amazing.”

Maestro smiled. “See, that was a song she wrote for her fourth husband. She first sang it at their wedding.”

Wind Chill took a deep breath and wiped her eyes. “Sounds like she loves him a lot.”

“They’re still married. In fact, after her last tour, she announced she would be taking a break from touring for a while because they wanted to start a family.” Maestro told her. “I hope she does do more tours eventually though. It would be amazing if she came to Dodge. Maybe someday I could even write a song for her to perform!”

Wind Chill smiled. “Your mom said that you wrote your own music.”

He nodded. “I’m not very good at writing lyrics yet, but I write a lot of instrumental music.”

She gestured toward his various instruments. “Could you play something that you wrote for me?”

He looked toward his instruments in surprise. “Oh, uh, well most my best pieces are for a full orchestra… but I have a couple I could play.” He dashed over to one of the stands and deftly retrieved his trombone, holding it with his right hoof, he then extended his right wing to grasp the slider. “There’s supposed to be a few more instruments for this one, but I think It’s still pretty good without.” With that he rose the trombone to his lips and began to play.

Despite what Whisper Song had said, Wind Chill hadn’t expected the skill at which the colt handled the brass instrument. The song he played was powerful and triumphant. In moments she felt herself swaying to the melody, resisting the urge to start marching around the room. Watching the little colt, Maestro was really getting into the song as he played. Part-way into the song, he switched to holding the instrument with just his wings, one holding the instrument, and the other operating the slider. With his hooves free, he began to bounce and sway with the melody. The song went on for a few minutes then built to a powerful finale that had Wind Chill almost ready to cheer.

“That was incredible, Maestro! You really wrote that!?”

He blushed, but nodded. “Yeah, it’s supposed to have a whole orchestra, but it’s still pretty good with just the melody.”

“I can’t imagine how good it would be with the full orchestra! You’re amazing, Maestro!”

Tucking his trombone under one wing he smiled timidly.

Wind Chill smiled. “You know, I think if she ever hears your music, Sweetie Belle would definitely want you to write a few songs for her.”

“I don’t know if I’m that good,” he objected.

“Well I think so,” she told him confidently. He blushed and turned to replace his trombone. Wind Chill took a moment to look around the room again. “Music really means a lot to you, huh.”

He turned back and nodded. “Of course! Music is the language of the soul! Nothing else can convey and inspire emotion like music can!”

“Guess I’ll have to listen to more.” Wind Chill said smiling. “You’re definitely one of the most talented colts I’ve ever met.”

“I think so too.” They both turned to see Whisper Song standing in the doorway, smiling.

Maestro blushed at the praise. “Mom…”

She smiled, “It’s true! My little prodigy!”

Wind Chill grinned as the colt’s blush deepened.

Whisper Song smiled and stepped over to her colt to put a wing around him. “We probably shouldn’t keep Wind Chill too long; but Maestro, how would you like to go stay at Wind Chill’s house for a couple hours each day after school?”

He looked up at her and then to Wind Chill looking excited. “Really!?”

Wind Chill nodded. “Of course, we may have to put you to work, helping out in the garden,” she said with a smirk.

“I could do that!” He said eagerly.

“Well then that’s settled.” Wind Chill said with a smile and turned to Whisper Song. “I’ll tell my mom, I’m sure she’ll be fine with it.”

“It will be a great help.”

“It’s no problem,” She told her with a smile. “Well, I guess I’d better get going, but it sounds like I’ll see you tomorrow Maestro, and if you want to bring some music or one of your instruments, I’d love to hear more; and maybe we can see what my mom has in her collection.”

He grinned and nodded eagerly.

Whisper Song and Maestro walked with her back to the door to see her out.

“It was good to see you, Wind Chill and thanks again.” Whisper Song said as Wind Chill stepped out onto the front step.

“It’s my pleasure. Sometime you should bring the whole family for dinner.”

“Well, it’s difficult to find time when we’re all available, but I’ll see what I can do.”

“Alright. It was good to see you Whisper Song, and I’ll see you tomorrow, Maestro!” Wind Chill called over her shoulder as she started toward the road.

“See you tomorrow, Wind Chill!” Maestro called, waving enthusiastically with one wing.

Wind Chill smiled and waved back, then mother and son stepped back inside and she was left to walk home on her own. She wasn’t sure why she’d offered to watch Maestro in the afternoons, but as she trotted along the quite roads under the evening sky, she couldn’t help smiling.

Author's Note:

So this takes place around 29 years after the season 3 finale if anyone is wondering. It was already established in the main Midnight Star series that Sweetie Belle had become a famous singer, and she is going to appear in one of the chapters of the Midnight Star: Recovery side stories. In fact that side story is how she was reunited with her, now, husband. Unfortunately before then she had a bit of a rough time with relationships, due mostly to her celebrity status.