• Published 22nd Dec 2021
  • 494 Views, 23 Comments

A Heart Warming Eve Carol - Lighting Ace



A story told a million times already and a million times to come. A prince, 3 ghost and a lesson to repeant before he is gone.

  • ...
0
 23
 494

Ghost Of Heart Warming Past (Grammarly Check)

"This is bad, this is bad!" Blueblood continues to pace back and forward "The castle is going to be haunted now? Tonight of all days? Do you have any idea of what kind of image that can project?" Blueblood turns to look at Twilight who gives him a deadpan

"Tell me you are joking"

"Our citizens, mare! Think about them, would you?!" He grabs her by the shoulders and starts shaking her up "Canterlot Castle is supposed to be a symbol of Equestria wealth and prosperity, what kind of message do you think it will give if ponies find out it is haunted?! What image will project to other countries?! As rulers, we need to project security and harmony, and a ghost will ruin all that the second it says boo!"

"Ok, ok! I get it!" Twilight pushes him away and fixes her mane a little. "You don't want to ruin your image of the perfect prince, got it" She look at him with annoyance "Although you had to admit that ghost kind of had a point"

"What?!" He looks at her in disbelief

"I mean you could at least make the effort to be a bit nicer. It is not that hard either, Starlight and Tempest could help you learn how, and I have another friend that went to way worse things than you and turns out ok in the end. Besides, isn't this a bit exciting!? The Heart-Warming Ghosts Blueblood! The ghost of the story! They are real, and they want to help you! They could even show you how Equestria was in the old days and even the very first Heart Warming party!" She exclaimed enthusiastically as Blueblood gave her a deadpan.

"You drank at the party, did you?"

Her comment crash her enthusiasm down as she looked at him with a deadpan "Sure you can be grumpy pants too if you want" She sigh in disappointment before turning away "Don't worry as usual I and the princesses will take care of this so you can go back to your bruting…"

"NO!" Blueblood all of the sudden rushed and close the door with force before Twilight could exit surprising her as he get close to her face with a glare "You will not get my aunts involved in this mess"

"What?" She is taken aback by that sudden change in him as he backs away.

"All year long my aunts have been busting their FLANKS off ensuring prosperity and wealth for all of Equestria, this is supposed to be their day off, this and tomorrow are supposed to be the only days they don't need to worry for any crazy shenanigans, fixing the messes you six get themselves into or having to be the princess of Equestria. I will not let you take that away from them, not this time, you hear me? This is their day off. PERIOD."

"You…you don't want them to stress over the holidays?" Twilight asks in surprise but with a smile slowly creeping on her face "Blueblood that is very nice of you to…"

"Don't!" He interrupts her as he slowly backs away "Spare me the speech" He moves ahead and opens the door "We will deal with this problem ourselves, now let go! There must be something on how to deal with these things in the royal library"

"You are right, if there is something that could help us it could be there" Twilight nods and follows behind "Can we include my friends at the very least?"

"I thought this was supposed to be a party for them too, but sure be a horrible host if you want" Blueblood grumbled, still angry at the situation he was tossed in, yet Twilight decided to ignore his snarky remark, chalking up to stress as they walked through the hallway.

A couple of hours later, Blueblood and the mane six were turning the library upside down trying to find any answers. Naturally, the royal sisters were understandably confused as to why suddenly Twilight needed all of their help but when Blueblood step in and told Princess Celestia he needed a moment to talk to them, they got the impression that he intended to make the effort to be nicer and let them go without much of an issue.

"Nothing in this one either Twilight" AJ sighs and puts the book back.

“Oh, I found this old busting team with a specialty in the supernatural” Pinkie lift a book with the image of a ghost pony with a denies symbol on top of it flipping throw its books “But they dissolve years ago, according to this. No dice” She shrugs and tosses the book away

"Keep looking! There is not much time left" Blueblood yells with urgency earning a collective glare from the mares.

"Remind me again why are we helping this brat Twilight?" Dash flew closer to the Princess with a raised eyebrow.

"Because he needs our help, and even though he is insufferable we can't simply turn a blind eye on his time off need, especially when the ghost warns me that this time 'it will be closer to the original book' whatever that means"

She inches closer to Rainbow to whisper "Plus it will be a great opportunity to aid him into changing his ways too"

Rainbow from her part only crosses her frontal hooves and gives her a deadpan look "You only want a jolly ride on a Heart Warming Carol experience do you?"

"It can be both things!" Twilight defends herself with a blush.

"Glad to hear you find joy in my misery Sparkles" Blueblood sends her a death glare as she is startled from being found out.

"More than misery I say you got exactly what you deserved" Rarity stood up "You are lucky Twilight is kind enough to offer her help even when you don't deserve it, the least you could do is show some consideration and stop whining for five seconds! Will it kill you to be nice?!"

"Yeah, I even find it hard to believe all that story if it wasn't Twilight who told us about it. If those ghosts wish to teach you a lesson I say you should let them" Applejack adds

"Come on girls let's not fight" Pinkie gets in between the two "It's almost Heart Warming even. Don't worry Bluey, we understand that you are scared so we will be right here for you the moment the spirits comes"

"D-D-Do we have to?" Fluttershy manages to stutter in complete terror gulping and looking around not liking the idea of facing a ghost whatsoever.

"I have a better idea, hey Princess you want to take my place and deal with the ghosts? Be my guest, use that fancy alicorn magic of yours and turn me invisible or something so the ghosts don't have a choice but to mess with you instead of…"

"…I'm afraid that is not how things work Blueblood" A high-pitched child voice interrupts the Prince in time for the first ringing of a grandfather clock at the far side of the room. The room is left quiet and darker as everyone slowly turns to the left of the room where a semi-translucent figure of the white-yellowish colt was reading a Heart Warming Even Carol "Still, points for creativity it might have work"

The child continues casually passing the pages until laughing and closing the book "Boy what a fanfic, I mean cancel the celebration altogether? Geez, overkill much everypony? That is not how the story goes, they even got our descriptions wrong" The child finally look at everyone as they gasp when they found the colt's eyes void of pupils and instead illuminating with their yellow light, as his mane and tail seems to made of a dull out the fire of the same color, he was wearing a wreath with small yellow candles as a crown a brown vest on top of a white shirt and some small round reading glasses. Picking a big candle cap half his size he approached the group.

"But still it was a nice interpretation I like the first ghost on it, even if she was missing the cap and all that" He giggle as everyone look at the arrival with wary looks

"Ah sorry but you are…?" Blueblood took a tentative step forward

"Isn't it obvious?" When there was no reply he sighs in disappointment "Fine let just keep to the script then, hello everypony! I'm the ghost of Hearth's Warming Past."

"Ah no you are not, last I remember the ghost of Warming Past wasn’t exactly on fire or looked anything like that, why do you like that anyway?" AJ raised a hoof in confusion only for the kid to appear next to her startle the poor mare in the process

"Fair enough, creative liberties on describing me and all that, but well that is how symbolism works, right? To answer your question, my body resembles that of an old flame from things that are behind us, like a candle finding its final sparks before melting away" He clarified before looking around "Aww and you are making new friends Blueblood? It's like the old band is back together only this one is way better than the first''

"Don't!" Blueblood eyes wide at the comment as he was engulfed in fury "Don't you dare mention those two-timing silver tongue snakes!" He tries to grab the kid only for him to face throw.

"I'm afraid that is not how it works either Blueblood, the past is the past and what happens can't be erased…hmm maybe with a time travel spell but besides that it can't be changed" His tone turns sober "And I'm here to remind you of what was forgotten and lost, as painful as that might be" He turns to the mane six "You can come too but I should warn you now, it not gonna a be pretty"

They all look at one another until Twilight step forward with determination "We are ready"

"What?! No, we are not ready. I'm not gonna do this!" Blueblood tried to complain but the kid already launch into him

"Sorry Blueblood it is happening, so one friendly advice? Hold tight!" He chuckles once again before springing giant wings from his wax body as he grabs Blueblood hoof and flies the two out of the window with the main six giving chase. Twilight, Dash, and Fluttershy use their wings while the princess uses her magic to create a bubble and carry the rest of her friends.

"This isn't it happening, this isn't it happening, this isn't it happening!" The Prince keeps his eyes clenched in terror while chanting the same thing.

"Oh come on Blue at the very least enjoy the view, few are the ones that have the opportunity to see a sunrise backward" The child commented and as he slowly opens his eyes the Prince found the night sky quickly turning into dawn and the land recovering their freshly blanket of pure white snow as they seem to turn around and return to the castle where nothing seems to have changed as the kid brings them all back to the library "We are here"

"That is it? We just spin around in place" Dash complains until the kid smirks "Did we?"

"Blueblood can you pass me the sugar?" A feminine voice calls in the distance that the prince immediately recognized "That voice, no it can't be…mom?"

"Mom!" The mane six exclaim as the prince walks out of the library and into the kitchen as his march soon turns into an exciting throat with the rest following until they reach their destination. There in the kitchen was a unicorn mare with light blue fur and the same golden mane and tail that Blueblood had with a crown with stars as a cutie mark. Currently cooking something with the aid of a four-year-old Blueblood who passes the sugar as she pats his head and they chuckle as they continue to make a soup.

“How long until it is ready, mom?” The child Blueblood question with wonder as she chuckles

“Soon Blueblood, like anything else in life the sweetest and best result comes with some love, dedication, and of course…” She boop his nose leaving a flour mark on his snout “…patience”

“Mom, why do you always make this soup for Heart Warming Eve?”

“Mostly tradition I say. This is no ordinary soup sweetie, it belonged to my dear old mom, who was passed on by her dad, and who passed it from his aunt, and so on and on. It is an old family recipe that one day it will be passing on to you”

Taking a spoon she took a scoop and gave it a taste licking his lips as she let him take a sip as well “It's delicious!”

“And you know why it makes it so special, and yummy?”

“Sugar!” He exclaim lift the whole mug of it ready to pour it until his mom laughed and took it away with her magic

“Close but no. What makes it extra special is the love you pour into making it” She grabs his shoulders with both hooves “Listen to me my sweet little angel, legend has it that this recipe was made the very first year after Equestria was founded. It is the love and understanding for your neighbor that gives it flavor which makes it our family tradition” She let him go and started to stir the dish.

“Throw it we remember what we learned that fateful night and how a strong and loving heart can warm the coldest of days. As long as you keep that love in you this soup would taste like the sweetest of treats”

“Oh I see…but the spoons of sugar help too, right?”

She laughs again and pats his head lovely “It sure does Bluey, it sure does”

The scene was enough to choke the Prince as he choked and cleared a tear from his eyes. "Take a good look Blueblood" The child appeared in front of him and pointed at the scene "Back then things were far easier wasn't it?"

"Yeah, growing up without a dad wasn't easy but mom was always there for me. Helping on the castle as my aunty secretary, she was a super mom" He smiles in remembrance.''To this day I don't know how she keeps doing it, but she always had time for me, auntie, and her job. Our family wasn't big but it was whole and rich"

The entire place is filled with warm and festive lights emanating from the mare in question as the group moves away from the kitchen, and pass throw rooms when the three enjoy dinner together, playing board games, studying the stars and talking with the moon, and entertaining noble guest local and international laughing and playing around, all sorts of sports even when getting dirty and muddy none seems to bother.

"Mom always knew how to make the castle feel like a real home" Blueblood keep reminiscent as the time went by and place her hoof on a picture of her "Just her presence was enough to brighten the mood of everyone, especially at parties"

"Do you see how easy it can be? How a simple act of kindness could make everything brighter? If the pretense of superiority deprives you of the joy of life, what is the point in holding on to it?" The child points at the Heart Warming party where his family was all wearing ugly sweaters while making a toast as everyone laughed and raised their glasses into the air.

"I don't remember any of this, why did Princess Celestia never tell me about all these parties?" Twilight ask intrigued

"Believe it or not the world does not revolve around you Sparkles!" Blueblood shot her a death glare "This was a private event, meant for only our closest friends. We have the right of life outside our royal duties and before you march in and demand to make it public it meant something…a moment that I used to look out for"

Soon the lights on the hallways die down and everything becomes colder as he clenches his eyes while the front door of the castle opens with his mom patting his head with some suitcases at hand.

"Do you have to leave mom? Can't it wait?"

"It's just some small drizzle Blueblood, don't worry I will be back in time for the party"

"I will have our soup ready by then mom!" He tells in excitement as she chuckles

"Just remember not to put all the sugar on it this time ok?" He nods as she waves goodbye, and the door closes filling the room in silence.

No words were needed as AJ slowly approach the sobbing Prince and pat his back "Didn't know you were on the same club partner, you don't need to say anything else"

He just remains quiet subbing briefly before advancing again with a glared "Just…don't bring it up, you might know how much it hurts. But at least you have your siblings, your grandma, your entire and numerous family for you, right?"

He points at a grieving Celestia hugging a disheartened Blueblood "After that day I only had my auntie left"

"Blueblood I didn't know, I'm so sorry" Twilight looked at him in melancholy as he advanced.

"No, you don't none of you do" He marches with more determination until the child stops him "So deep runs the scar of betrayal that you wish to ignore the hoof of kindness?"

"Leave me alone!" He looks away in irritation.

"They are not them Blueblood and you know it."

The children get angry and his flame grows brighter as the scenery changes once more as he holds his head "Please I don't want to remember this event"

"Yet you keep it vividly as a medal to your heart, a lesson of a dark face in the world. If you truly wish to let it pass it needs to be spoken. Deny it and it will only increase its pain"

"Blueblood…what exactly happened in the past, that makes you so wary of letting any pony inside your heart? Who hurt you?" Fluttershy pleads as everything changes to a grand galloping gala, with mirrors all over the dance floor.

Sighing in defeat he only stands up "Might as well tell since you are gonna a see it anyway" He glare at the earth pony mare with chocolate brown fur and golden mane talking with a group of ponies "Epona and her band of goons and leeches"

"Oh you should see his face, the innocent naive little prince, signing a check for billions like it was a candy" Epona boost in confidence as everyone laugh

"Oh Epona you are so bad" One of her friend's comment

"Hey, some pony needs to take the candy from the baby isn't it?"

"Don't you feel at the very least bad for tricking the Prince so much?" Another mare question with a raised eyebrow more out of curiosity than genuine pity.

"Please the brat has his life all sort it up for him, he has the castle, the princesses, and the fame and glory, he will not miss sharing some of his allowances right?" They all laugh and clink their cups ignoring how not too far hiding behind a table a young Prince just heard their conversation and promptly starts to hold back tears.

"Life became way colder after my mom was gone. Auntie Celestia tried her best of course but well she is the ruler, of course, she didn't have much time for me, even less after losing her star secretary. I never hold it against her, it wasn't her fault and I wasn't going to add even more pressure to something so grim already so…" He looks at a mirror of him reading books of the economy on top of others like laws, and other things. "I started to learn what exactly my mom did. Wanting to understand how the world of high classes tic and what would a princess need to run it smoothly I was determined to make my mom proud stepping into her hoofsteps, she was my hero and nothing would have made me prouder than to keep her legacy alive"

The mirrors show him gradually grasping the concept of a secretary, aiding the princess in what he can and a relief Celestia patting his head at the improvement he was making.

"I even tried to ignore the constant reminders of a certain purple thief" He doesn't look back but Twilight flinches when she sees a picture of Blueblood with a drawing but Celestia was focusing on Twilight lessons with her head buried in a book.

"It thought it was part of her job I had nothing to worry about it"

"You don't have anything to worry about…"

"But then it started, one day she starts to pay less attention to me and got to talk more about her star pupil, then it became a week, then a month and then no matter what I do or try EVERYTHING always had to revolve around her star pupil and all the progress she made and how much she needs help making friends or a report or anything, never having any spare time to even say hi" He starts to get increasingly angry, before taking a deep breath.

"I try to ignore it, tell myself I was overreacting, and focus on being just like my mom, being kind to others, and listening to their needs. That is how I meet Epona a local farmer starting her business in Canterlot with a group of ponies wishing the same"

He looked at another mirror showing them kneeling and pleading for help as he smiled and like her mom did his best to aid the poor farmers and nobles in what they needed until they reached the party. "I was a fool for trusting them, of course, I wasn't nothing but a bank account to them, taking advantage of my kindness and generosity for their agenda!"

The mirrors crack as his gaze turns colder. "That night I learned an important lesson. The blind trust would only get you hurt, and to survive in this cruel cold world you must strike for the kill" The mirrors shatter and the girls gasp when they see Epona and her group soon been tricked and owned by Blueblood as he used all his tricks to swingle all of their money and force them to work for him as he keeps glaring at them when they beg for mercy with tears of their eyes.

"Looks like you were the punchline then" Blueblood coldly replied to Epona as he was on his knees and whisper on her ears "Try to make a fool out of me again and I will not stop until you are a beggar on the street"

He turns around and marches away "If you want your money back then get out, and don't you dare ever step a foot on my house EVER again"

The girls are all left cold by his actions as he sighs and keeps his gaze glued to the ground

"Blueblood just because some ruffians manipulated you doesn't mean everyone is like that" Rarity finally spoke up "Yes what they did was indeed horrible and they deserved to be punished but don't you think you went a bit too far?"

"I don't want to hear it from a gold digger"

She gasps in horror "How dare you…!"

"No! Rarity not this time before you get all high and mighty in my case on how I made your night miserable and mess up your dress. Ask yourself this. Did you EVER consider my feelings that night?"

"Of course I did! I only wanted to meet you, to get closer to becoming…"

"…my bride and then the princess of Equestria right?" He interrupts him with a deadpan look

"Well at some point but are you going to argue about any filly dream like it a bad thing?"

"Je like that is even a question, you think you are the only mare that has tried that stunt before?" He showed him various mirrors of other faceless mares trying to seduce Blueblood, only to end up tricking him, breaking up by the most ridiculous of excuses, or pressuring him into marriage.

“What do you mean you don’t have any power in the royal court?”

“Come on sweetie, aren’t you a prince when are you gonna a get out of your flank and rescue me from a dragon or shower me with poems and flowers every day, I demand tulips”

“What? I’m dating the prince! I should be walking on petals everywhere I go!”

All of these memories only helped to harden even more his heart as his smile turned less genuinely and it became nothing but a mask to hide his interior fury

"Over and over again I have had my heart broken by mares like you, wanting nothing else but to date a prince only to find that their 'happily ever after is not what they were expecting. That none of them were attracted to me, you never loved me Rarity you were in love with the idea of dating a prince"

He turns around "Just another more snake trying to use me"

They all remain quiet at his claim "I will say this, I'm sorry for using you as a shield. Even if I was just trying to swat you away that went too far, that was a neat dress you got yourself, but I'm not gonna a apologize for my actions"

"Blueblood I swear I wasn't trying…" Rarity stops herself "…just because you were hurt doesn't give you the right…Applejack food was delicious, admit it!"

"I will admit it was…but I can't condemn what you were doing, at the end of the day you are all just like Epona"

He glares at the child "There! Are you happy!? I say it, now stop this torture! I can't take it anymore"

"A trauma left you wary of everyone, feeling betrayed when only trying to emulate your mom. If your past is torture there is no one to blame for it other than yourself. You could have chosen patience and kindness. But instead decided to drown in anger and paranoia"

“Enough!”

“The pain that resides in your heart, makes me wonder what hurts the most, those failed romances? The betrayal of those that claim to be your friend?”

“I say shut up”

“Or the idea that deep in your heart you know how if your mother could see you now she would only be able to turn away and weep in silence?”

“SHUT UP!” In a fit of rage, Blueblood grabs the candle cap and used to smothers the child as it turns to smoke and chock everyone in a thick, deep fog that makes them all cough and go temporarily blind with only fog in front of them. When it cleared everyone was back at the Blueblood room.

"Is it over?" Dash looks around.

"This sure was not the Hearts Warming Eve carol I remember" Applejack comment

"Blueblood" Fluttershy tries to put her hoof on his back as he was holding back tears "I'm sorry…"

"…don't!" He interrupted her immediately "Don't start pitying me now, you have no idea how cold it can get when you can't trust anyone. How lonely it feels to be reminded that you were left behind or be reduced to the prince to use and then discard"

"…if you only let us help you then maybe?" Fluttershy insist but he marched to his bed

"Just leave me. If you care for me, then leave me alone…please"

The girls exchange glances before ever so slowly they decided to march away from the room and close the door behind them. It wasn't until he was alone that he searched his nightstand for a picture and looked at the image of his mom holding her newborn baby that he openly wept in silence until finally fell asleep.