• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 1,535 Views, 279 Comments

The Fall - Writer12577



Equestria is going through some hard times. Rainbow Dash goes for a quest of saving the world.

  • ...
2
 279
 1,535

Chapter One: The Memories

Losing a friend is a horrifying experience.


Losing five of your very best friends in the very same day is even more horrifying. It will tear you apart from the inside, forcing you to live with the never-ending pain for the rest of your life.


And if you were there to see the deaths of your friends, your mind just can’t take it. Some disturbing things will start happening. You may start to blame it on yourself. You may start to blame it on the others.


But one thing is certain. They will never come back.


----»«----


Rainbow sat on the soft cloud floor of her house. She didn’t know the time. She didn’t even know what day it was. But that didn’t matter. Her life had no meaning.


The horrifying events of the last two weeks were still there, haunting her mind, driving her into sweet, sweet insanity.


She had not eaten or drunk anything since the deaths of her friends. Anything that could push the pain back was good. Even starvation.


It was her fault. Or it had been. She could have saved them. She could have flown there and saved them.


But no. She had been completely frozen, looking into the desperate eyes of her best friends that were begging her to either save them or save herself.


And when she had realized it, it was too late. They were gone before she could reach them. All dead in a horrifying way.


She had gotten hurt. Her left wing had been in a horrible condition, torn up and bleeding. The bloodstained bandages still remind her about that day.


She had passed out from the pain. Pure blackness had swallowed her for hours. And when she had woken up, there had been no hope. The faces still haunt her. The faces of her dead friends.


Applejack had been the strongest. She had been still breathing when Rainbow had woken. But it hadn’t been normal breathing. It had been mostly coughing, each cough taking her friend a bit further away from the reality.


That’s when Rainbow had lost it. The tears flowed as she painfully dragged herself to the side of Applejack. She would spend the final moments with her.


And when she had finally got there, Applejack had spoken.


“I…”


“I always…”


“L-loved you…”


“Dash…”


The orange mare had managed to form up a small smile before leaving Rainbow alone in the torn-up world.


That had been one of those moments that will haunt you for the rest of your life.


----»«----


A small tear dropped down from Rainbow’s eye. The tear rolled down her cheek and fell to the cloud floor. After a few seconds the cloud absorbed the salty drop, leaving no visible signs of the small weak moment. That thing had proven itself handy over time.


She didn’t want to go out. The world was broken, blood was flowing on the streets and horrible things were happening.


But she couldn’t stay like this. Ponies need food and water.


A way out. Death. A solution. A reunite with her friends.


When put like that, a coward’s way out sounds like a good way to end everything. But Rainbow wasn’t a coward. She wouldn’t just give up. She would avenge her friends, the innocent victims.


Rainbow got up. It was painful, but she couldn’t just lie down. She had made up a plan. A plan so insane that it would either kill her or make her a hero. And either way was good.


She went towards the kitchen. She needed food before she could do anything else.


The kitchen was dark. Rainbow had closed all the windows, blocked every single source of light that could reveal the fact that there still was someone living in the huge cloud house.


But she had built a lighting-system of her own for times like this. You can never be too careful. Or paranoid.


A simple pull of a professionally hidden switch and the lights turned on, revealing the pure white kitchen.


Some of the food was spoiled, of course. The stench told that. But she had a small stash of hay in the back of the cupboard to the left of the now-blocked small window.


There was no water in the house. The last rainy day had been a week ago, and Rainbow had had some difficulties in obtaining water.


But there was an alternative. She had two bottles of the best Apple-family cider there was, spiced up with her own mixture. She had been reserving those two for a certain special occasion, but the occasion needed two ponies. And one of the two was gone.


So she grabbed some of the dry hay from the cupboard and walked to the living room where her own cloud-cooler was.


Opening the cooler was easy for a pegasus. All you had to do was to use your wings. The key to the lock was the tip of the biggest feather of a pegasi wing.


The small cloud door swung open, revealing the special drinks. They were in hoof-made glass bottles. The right one was colored in rainbow, stripes going down its neck to the base of the bottle.


The left one had a simpler pattern: A yellowish top and an orange bottom. On the bottom of the bottle was a cutie mark:


A three-color lightning bolt with a white cloud on top of it.


The other one had a simpler one: Three red apples.


Rainbow let out a small sigh and opened the orange one. It let out a small hiss when the heavenly liquid met the stale air of the cloud house.


Rainbow didn’t waste any more time. She showed her mouth full of the dry hay and flushed it down with the sweet drink. Her empty stomach tried to protest, but she just kept stuffing more and more hay and cider into her mouth.


She knew that she wouldn’t be able to think too well after this little meal. But it wasn’t a bad thing. It would make the very next thing she would have to do a bit easier.


Soon enough the bottle was depleted. Last drops of the special mixture went down Rainbow’s throat, washing away the nasty taste the hay had left.


Rainbow slowly shifted her gaze towards the remaining bottle. She had just drunk one and the special mixture was starting to kick in. She knew it would do nothing good for her. But she needed a little encouragement.


So she grabbed the bottle, opened it and inhaled the incredible odor that was coming inside the bottle. This one was a bit stronger than the one that had been meant for her.


Rainbow slowly lifted the bottle up to her lips. Her mouth begged for more of the sweet liquid.


She slowly tilted the bottle upwards, letting the strong cider flow down her throat.


It didn’t take long for her to consume a half of the bottle.


She took the cork from the ground and sealed the bottle yet again. She would need something to drink later on.


The next thing to do was hard. It would seal her fate.


Rainbow walked into her bedroom. She kept all the private stuff there, out of the reach of the curious eyes of other ponies


In the back of the pure white room, next to her bed was a small box. Rainbow trotted over to the box. This was it. The decision that would define her fate.


She slowly opened the box, revealing the contents.


The box had some intimate stuff on the top. Rainbow quickly tossed those away. They reminded her about her friends. And that brought the pain back.


And in the very bottom of the box was the thing she had come to get.


A small, perfectly hoof-fitting .45 pistol designed for her and her only with a bag of bullets and three custom magazines on its side.


She had been there when Twilight had made the first working copy. She had seen the first shot and the pure fear in Twilight’s eyes. She had offered to take it and keep it safe so that nopony would ever find out about it.


And just mere months later a bunch of scientists had introduced the “First working gun in the whole Equestria”.


But the ones that were out in the public were total shit. Rainbow had the one and only original one. It was superior to the cheapo copies in every way. The bullets were bigger and more powerful, the handling was perfect, it would auto-rechamber and it was designed for her hoof, for her style of shooting and customized for her likes.


The paint was her own idea. It was repeating the familiar rainbow pattern for the whole length. The grip had three apples painted on both sides, linked with a familiar three-color rainbow.


Rainbow slowly took the gun, the bag and the mags out of the box. She then began observing the box again. There was a custom holster-saddlebag combination too.


Soon enough it struck her eye. It was a quickly-made version, consisting of her old saddlebag and a holster made by Applejack. She had never liked the little project, but she had never tried to stop Rainbow from playing around with the gun.


Rainbow slowly swung the saddleback on her back, stuffed the ammo bag, the bottle and the mags into it, put the pistol into the holster and began walking towards the kitchen. A single piece of equipment was missing.


She made her way through the living room, the photos in the walls staring at her, bringing memories back. That was not a good thing. The memories made Rainbow weak.


She stuffed the memories back to the very bottom of her mind. She had a decision to make.


Rainbow entered the kitchen in order to get the last piece of her equipment. She walked over to the dining table and the pulled its legs off.


She turned the table over, revealing a small hatch in the bottom of the table.


She opened the hatch, and took the small paper wrapping out of the small hidden box.


She unwrapped the paper, revealing a sharp combat-knife.


The knife was self-made. It was designed by her, made by her and decorated by her. It had a long metal blade and a simple wooden handle.


The blade was straight and sharp. It had some small spikes in the end of it, so that the knife would be capable of ripping things in pieces with ease.


The wooden handle was simple, but Rainbow had hid the simplicity with perfectly made decorations.


The handle had the same traditional rainbow pattern. But instead of the cutie marks, it had a picture of two ponies reaching out for each other, making a hoof-contact. One of the ponies was cyan and the other one was orange.


Rainbow sighed. She would never be able to forget.


She carefully put the knife into her bag and started walking towards the door.


When she finally got to the door, she reached out to the holster and pulled the pistol out. She swung the saddlebag down and dug the ammo bag from there. She loaded all the three custom 14-bullet magazines she had, loaded one of them into the gun, threw the others back to the saddlebag, loaded the gun and just stood there.


“A coward’s way out, or a battle you can’t win?” she said in a clear voice, knowing that no-one would answer.


“The battle it is!” she shouted, opened the door and revealed the torn-up Ponyville.