• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 1,535 Views, 279 Comments

The Fall - Writer12577



Equestria is going through some hard times. Rainbow Dash goes for a quest of saving the world.

  • ...
2
 279
 1,535

Chapter Two: The Preparations

The sight was not pretty. The buildings were all torn up and burnt. The streets had marks of heavy fighting. The town hall had lost its tower which was now lying on the ground, a huge crack visible on its side.


But Rainbow had to go there. It was the only option. She might be on a suicide mission, but that didn’t mean she’d have to be emotionless.


The path from her house to the town was in a somewhat bad condition. Walking hurt her hooves but flying was not an option. The wing couldn’t take the weight.


So she was doomed to walk on the hoof-killing path that led to the heart of the destruction.


----»«----


“Dash? You ready?”


“As always, Twi!”


“Good. Load him up.”


Rainbow planted the explosives Twilight had made. A batch this large would blow the possible threat into pieces.


“Okay Twi, he’s loaded up.”


“Good. AJ, you got the trigger?”


“Ah sure do Twi!”


“Great. Who wants to finish the job?”


Rainbow raised her hoof. This was her thing.


“No-one else than Rainbow? Okay. Dash, whenever you want.”


Rainbow walked over to the trigger. It was a classical red box with a pull-able handle.


She took a one last look at the old stone statue of Discord, looked at the trigger and pulled it.


----»«----


The town was in even worse condition from close. The buildings had clear marks of gunshots and fire in them. Finding any survivors started to seem more and more unlikely.


Plus there still were forces in the town. The Rebellion had won the battle and had turned the town into a temporary base and an alternate prison camp.


So Rainbow was forced to go all sneaky. Walking down the main street would be a suicide. The thought of a fast death was still attracting her, but there was a chance they would take her to a prison camp. And that wasn’t good. Horrible things happened in those camps.


So she made up a quick plan. She’d go from house to house, trying to get towards the center of the town. And then she’d see if she could do anything from there.


So Rainbow walked over to the closest building, slowly opened the door and went in.


----»«----


The house was quiet, of course. No-one was present, save for herself and the little bugs running in the small cracks of the wooden floor.


You could see that this one had been raided. There were pieces of wood and even a few shells on the floor. Whoever had been living or hiding in here had been desperate. The floorboards were covered in a mixture of dust, chips of wood and dried-up blood.


The walls of the room had some black spots in them. The Rebels had tried to light it on fire, but the wood had been made fire-proof. That was probably why the house was still standing.


The house was small. It had a tiny living room, a hall and a kitchen. All the possible valuables were gone. But Rainbow didn’t need any money. She needed food.


So she went to the kitchen. But as soon as she made her way through the small doorway, she got hit by a devastating stench. It was no use of even trying to scavenge something from the cupboards.


The house had no valuables, no food, no water, nothing that could possibly help her. It was simply useless.


So Rainbow decided to proceed to the next one.


She made her way back to the door, carefully opened it and immediately dashed to the cover.


The next house was a few hundred feet away. The town square would be easily visible from there. It would make a perfect temporary camp for her.


But it was also a huge risk. Running even for a few hundred feet in an open environment like this was extremely dangerous. It was also possible that the Rebels had taken the house as a small camp or a guarding spot.


But it was a risk she’d take.


So she bent her knees a little, made sure that no-one was nearby, licked her lips, and dashed towards the house.


Her hooves were beating against the hard ground, making them ache even more. But she couldn’t turn back now. She was halfway there.


Her heart started to beat a bit faster. The cider was doing its job.


The door slowly came closer and closer, until eventually it was right in front of her. She had made it.


She quickly swung the door open, completely unaware what would be waiting for her on the other side.


She realized her mistake, but it was already too late. The door was already wide open, allowing clear sight from the house and into the house.


And there was an empty hallway. Nothing moved. Nothing made noise. Just deep silence.


Rainbow let out a small sigh of relief. If there would have been enemies on the other side, she’d be dead by now. But on the other hoof, that would not have been a bad thing.


But the house was empty. And it was only good for her plan.


“Clear the house: Check,” she said. “Next: Investigate.”


She took a good glance around the room that seemed to be a hall of some kind. There were pictures on the walls, decorations everywhere and a nice little “Welcome”-mat just in front of the door.


‘Classy’ she thought to herself. This was one of the houses where she had never been invited into. For some reason the upper-class didn’t like her. Wonder what could have caused that?


Rainbow shook the thought out of her head. No point in living in the past. The future was here. And it was not very bright.


‘A classy place like this must have some weapons’ she thought. Almost every upper-class pony was a bit paranoid about their fortune. And the best way to defend your fortune was to own at least some kind of a self-defense weapon.


And if the upper-class ever needed their weapons, it would be at night. And where do most of the ponies spend their night in?


Rainbow took a good look at the decorated staircase leading to the second floor.


Either in a local pub or in their own beds.


----»«----


The second floor was even classier. Gold-framed paintings and pictures everywhere. Marble floors with gold streaks running through them. Golden doorknobs…


Whoever had owned this house, he or she sure had loved gold.


It wasn’t long until Rainbow found the bedroom. She was a professional at this.


The door was locked. But there was no lock that could hold rainbow.


She slid her saddleback off. She carefully placed it to the floor and opened it. She removed the mags and the bottle from there and put them on the floor next to the bag. She then stuck her hoof in again, looking for a familiar wooden grip.


Soon enough she found it. She carefully took it out of the bag and focused on the door.


The lock seemed weak. It was a cheap copy of a good lock. The owner was either trying to scare the robbers away, or had gotten scammed badly.


Rainbow carefully inserted the tip of the knife into the lock. After a few seconds of twisting and turning, she heard a slight *Crack* and the lock fell to the ground.


“Once again a simple lock can’t hold Rainbow Dash,” she said to herself.


“Get a time-lock next time,” she added, completely aware of the fact that no-one could hear her.


She just shrugged it off, packed all the stuff back into her saddleback and swung the door open.


The sight in front of her was incredible. The biggest bedroom she had ever seen. It even won the bedrooms of Celestia and Luna.


The bed itself was huge. It consumed about a quarter of the room. The bed sheets seemed to be silk, and the pillow stuffing had to be either Pegasus- or Griffon feathers. The huge legs of the bed almost reached the roof.


The surroundings of the bed were not as huge, but even more valuable.


There were four closets in the room and it was no doubt that at least two of them were full of clothes.


The carpet covered the whole floor, replacing the cold touch of the marble floor with warmth and softness that could only be beat by a cloud floor.


There were two night-stands. One on each side of the bed. The left one had some jewelry on it. The mare slept on the left.


So the right one had the personal stuff of the partner of the mare. And it was the most likely place to find some weaponry.


Rainbow wasn’t too eager to dig through the personal stuff of a stallion. You never knew what the stallion had done with the particular item.


But in order to survive for times longer than a few days, she’d need at least more bullets.


So she walked over to the night-stand and opened the hatch that was in the side of it.


The first item didn’t give such a good picture of the stallion.


A two-month old Playmare that had a few pages stuck together. Rainbow quickly tossed it away. She had no intentions of knowing what was holding the pages together.


Under the magazine was a box. It had a small lock on it and seemed to be pretty important.


Rainbow couldn’t resist the urge to take a quick peek. But she didn’t bother taking her knife from the saddlebag. She just raised her left rear hoof and bucked as hard as she could.


The lock came apart easily. The owner had to be extremely stupid if he thought that a couple of locks here and there would keep his private life safe.


Rainbow slowly opened the lid of the box, eager to see what it held in.


And as the light hit the box, Rainbow saw her reward.


More porn.


She sighed and tossed the box away. The private life of the couple must have been total shit.


But when she heard a familiar clink come from the direction where she had tossed the box, she froze on her tracks.


As she heard some more clinks, she turned around, and saw multiple gold-colored shells roll to the floor from the depths of the box.


Jackpot.


Rainbow quickly trotted over to the box, eager to see what type of bullets they were.


But she got disappointed. They were only empty shells.


But there might be something else in the box.


She quickly picked the box up and turned it over. This caused a stream of shells drop to the floor, along with a couple of magazines and a rather disturbing-looking stick.


‘Well, no weapons from this place’ Rainbow thought. But no weapons meant that she would find something else.


And something else was food.


She took a quick last glance around the gorgeous room and left.


----»«----


The ground floor felt boring after all the decorations of the second one. But Rainbow wasn’t here to judge the differences of two floors. She was here for food and cover.


And food was the most important part right now. She wasn’t hungry, but she knew that she would be soon.


But luckily for her, the chances of finding food were sky-high. The upper-class could afford treats that wouldn’t go bad so easily.


The kitchen was right next to the hall. But it was surprisingly blank. No décor, no valuables, only a couple of stoves, a big table and rows after rows of cupboards.


But this was the kitchen after all. And if Rainbow knew anything about upper-class mares, the family had a good load of servants that would prepare the food for the family, making sure that family itself never needed to enter the kitchen.


Rainbow didn’t waste time. She immediately began opening the cupboards and investigating the contents. And whenever she found something interesting, she either put it to the table, into her mouth or into her saddlebag. A simple yet effective way.


Soon enough the table was full. Mountains of heavenly treats were just lying there, waiting for her to take them.


But she couldn’t fit them all into her saddleback. So she had to choose the best.


She began quietly judging the treats. Sugary-o hay-cereals beat regular hay with ease, but the travel-pack of daisy-cinnamon sandwiches sure was a mighty challenger.


As of the drink-side, there were bottles of fine wine and entire barrels of second-only-to-her-own-mixture cider. At least she wouldn’t die to thirst or lack of alcohol.


Choosing the perfect combination of nutritive, healthy but still tasty was hard. But eventually Rainbow found her very own special-travel-combo-for-an-ultimate-hero-pack. It consisted of three daisy-cinnamon sandwiches wrapped in a foil of some kind, two bottles of the finest wine in the house, two bottles of cider to balance the wine and a pack of chocolate-chip cookies. The perfect survival food-pack.


But she had forgotten a very important thing.


She walked over to the sink, emptied four bottles of wine into it and filled the bottles with water. She couldn’t go all drunk whenever she needed something to drink.


“Investigate: Done,” she called out loud, proud of her fast progress.


“Next: See if you can see the town square.”


The town square would be visible from the second floor. She just had to find the perfect spot. An easy task this time.


Rainbow stuffed the huge stack of food into her saddleback, making sure that the temporary wrapping wouldn’t let anything leak through and began walking back to the hall.


The sun was setting fast and the risk of being seen kept decreasing. But Rainbow couldn’t put the lights on. So she was down to her amazing navigating-skills and the small flashlight she had found from the kitchen.


The stairs were the hardest part. She would stumble in every other step, causing a few nasty hits to her hooves. But eventually she made it to the second floor.


The town square was to the left of the house. So Rainbow decided to check the leftmost room in the second floor first.


The second floor was large. It had more rooms than the ground floor. Therefore it was harder to find the door leading to the leftmost room.


But after a while of aimlessly wandering around the house and seeing some very interesting things Rainbow saw a wall with a big door on it. This was it.


She tried to open the door, and for her slight surprise it swung open. No need to crack any locks.


The room itself was some kind of an office. It had a big brown desk with some papers on it. The walls were covered by the bookcases that were holding colored folders. At least she would have something to read.


But the best thing of the room was that it had a huge window that had a clear view of the town square. Either the owner liked to see busy ponies working and shopping, or he was a creep.


Rainbow touched the window. Despite its big size even the slightest push made it move. It would be easy to get it out of the way.


But Rainbow would move it tomorrow. The alcohol-level was dropping dramatically and it brought tiredness to her body. She hadn’t slept in the last Celestia-knows-how-many days and it was starting to get the best of her.


She walked over to one of the bookcases, took one of the folders with her and went downstairs.


----»«----


Rainbow was curious to see what was in the folder. But her brains didn’t want to read. They just wanted to sleep.


So she made the final decision of the day. She’d read the folder later. And if there would be something interesting in it, she might even read some of the others.


Rainbow made her way to the living room, put her saddlebag to the ground next to the couch, hopped on the couch, closed her eyes and fell asleep immediately.