• Published 13th Dec 2020
  • 802 Views, 60 Comments

My Final Pony Fantasy II - Vimtrust5



Twilight, Spike, Fluttershy, and Princess Cadence take on the Palamecian Empire.

  • ...
2
 60
 802

Chapter 8: Heroes' Past

Our heroes were able to rescue Princess Hilda and Cid, as well as destroy the Dreadnought which brought death and destruction to all that stood in the Empire's path, but they were still no closer to finding Flurry Heart and the rest of the captive Crystal Ponies. Maria, on the other hand, had only one thought on her mind: had she ever met the Dark Knight before?

"Maria...?" asked Twilight.

"Yes?" said Maria.

"Is anything bothering you...?"

"No... not at all... At least I don't think so, no."

Twilight knew she was lying, however.

"Maria," she said firmly, yet politely. "I have a friend who prides herself on honesty. I've learned a thing or two from her about lying."

The young woman lowered her head in shame and guilt.

"It's about the Dark Knight, isn't it? Do you really think that was brother?"

Maria didn't answer; she closed her eyes and stood silently, trying to understand what she and the others might do. Was it truly Leon whom she and her friends thought was missing?

Twilight saw her friend's discomfort and decided to leave her alone. She then saw Firion sitting down in one of the passenger's seats and sat next to him.

"Firion?" asked Twilight.

"Yes?" the bandana wearing youth replied.

"May I ask you a question? What are going to do after this whole thing is over?"

"You mean, after the war ends?"

"Yeah. I mean, I know there's no more Dreadnought to worry about, but that doesn't mean Emperor Mateus will call it quits just yet."

"I... I don't know. After all, my friends and I lost our parents."

"I can't even imagine what that feels like... Well, actually--" Twilight stopped herself.

"What is it?"

The purple alicorn sighed. "I have a friend who lost her parents at a young age..."

"I'm sorry."

"That's alright."

Twilight walked out onto the deck and found her sister-in-law leaning on the starboard side of the airship and letting out a weary sigh.

"Cadence?"

"Yes, Twilight?"

"Are you okay?" she asked worriedly.

"Please, don't get me wrong. I'm glad we stopped the Dreadnought, but..."

"I know. We'll find her."

The airship soon landed near the entrance to Altair. The group disembarked and was greeted by a thunderous sound.

*music fades out*


Altair

The townspeople cheered and applauded our heroes.

"Make way for the heroes!" a good man said.

"You saved Princess Hilda! Thank you so much!" said a happy woman.

They went into the rebel base and were greeted with a group of happy faces.

"Welcome back!"

"Princess Hilda's back!"

"You're safe!"

Hilda smiled and waved her arms, silencing the crowd.

"People of Altair," she said. "It is a great honor to stand here before you once again." The crowd applauded. "And I have an announcement to make: it is with great pleasure to tell you and the rest of the world that the Palamecian Empire's ultimate weapon, the Dreadnought, has been destroyed!"

The news sparked a deafening ovation from the crowd, so loud that our heroes' ears started to ring.

"Now, my dear subjects... Let us celebrate this momentous occasion! To our heroes: Firion, Maria, Guy, and guests from the land of Equestria!"

The entire base exploded with joy as our heroes nervously rubbed the back of their heads.


A few hours later, Twilight and Firion stood in front of the fountain in the town square discussing each other's past.

"So you used to be a unicorn, huh?" said Firion. "And you didn't think friendship was important at first? That's hard to believe."

"I know, right?" Twilight replied. "That is until Princess Celestia sent me and Spike to Ponyville, and that's where we met our friends, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie. We've lived there ever since and had some real fun times. And others not so fun. But enough about me. What about you?"

"Well..." said Firion. "I was actually born in Salamand, if you can believe that."

"What? Salamand?"

"Yes, that's right. But my parents passed away sometime later and I was taken in by an adoptive family that lived in Fynn. And that's when I met Maria and Leon. We've been friends ever since."

"I see. But what about Guy?"

"We met him when he was just ten, and he didn't exactly know how to communicate with humans until we taught him how."

"Huh?" Twilight raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"Well..."


Meanwhile, Fluttershy and Guy sat at the local inn.

"There's been something I've been meaning to ask you," said the yellow pegasus.

"Yes...?"

"You were really good at communicating with those beavers at the Snow Cave... How and when did you come to understand their language?"

"Simple. Me raised by animals when I was child."

"Oh my goodness." That's probably why his speech seems broken, she thought.

"Sometime later, I found self in Fynn with Firion, Leon and Maria. Been friends ever since."

Fluttershy smiled warmly.

"Firion and family taught me how to learn human ways. What about you? You talk with animals, too."

"That's true. In fact, that's how I earned my cutie mark."

"Cutie mark? That butterfly mark on your flank?"

"Yes."

"How do ponies earn cutie marks?"

"Pretty much when we find our special talent. It pretty much started when I was a little filly, and my friend Rainbow Dash defended me from teasing bullies."

"Hmm! Guy no like bullies," he said.

"Yes, I know. Anyway, I was waving the flag for this race between Rainbow Dash and the bullies, but they went a little too fast and accidentally sent me down to the ground."

"Were you hurt?"

"No, but the butterflies saved me. I was so entranced by what I saw on the ground: the grass, the trees, and all the animals. Suddenly, there was this explosion caused by a rainbow, making the animals run and hide. After it was all over, I went to reassure them that everything was okay and that there was nothing to be afraid. That's how I learned about my talent at communicating with the animals, and then my cutie mark appeared."

Guy smiled and sniffled a bit. "That was beautiful story, Fluttershy. What about your friend?"

"Well, it turns out that the explosion happened because of Rainbow Dash. She flew at an incredible speed, causing a Sonic Rainboom which not only gave me my cutie mark, but Twilight's, too! And our other friends."

"In another way, you all connected..."

"Yes."


Maria and Spike sat at a table in the conference room at the base, talking about each other's past.

"So this 'Sonic Rainboom' as you call it, made Twilight hatch your egg?"

"Yup," the dragon confirmed. "That's how I met Twilight Sparkle for the first time and how she got her cutie mark!"

"You mean that set of stars on her flank, right? I remember Princess Cadence telling me that cutie marks are what ponies earn when they find their special talents, right?"

"That's it. And no, dragons don't have cutie marks."

Maria laughed. "I wonder what my brother would..." she said, stopping herself.

"Maria?"

"It... it's nothing..."


Elsewhere, Princess Cadence, Gordon and Hilda were discussing the group's next move.

"You know, with the Dreadnought destroyed," said Hilda, "the war has reached its conclusion."

"I don't think so," Cadence replied. "Not yet."

"How so?"

"Please don't tell me you've forgotten," said Gordon. "The Emperor is most likely coming up with new ways to rule the world."

"And he's still keeping my daughter prisoner, along with several of my subjects from the Crystal Empire."

"Oh, right. Hee hee..."

Cadence couldn't help but feel suspicious. "I'm... going to check on your father."

"All right. I'll be heading to my room as well."

The Princess of Love looked on with a suspicious glint in her eye. "Something's wrong here..."

"I agree, but I think I'll go with you..."

Something's not right with Hilda... Gordon thought as he and Cadence went into the King's chamber. As soon as they approaching the bedridden monarch, Minwu stepped forward and shook his head in sadness.

"M-Minwu...?" the Princess of Love asked. "Is he going to..."

"I am afraid so, Princess Cadence."

The King stirred. "Princess Cadence...?"

"Yes, Your Majesty?"

"Could you please bring everyone here?"

"Y-Yes... Your Majesty," she replied, bowing and quickly leaving to gather her friends. Gordon stayed behind, however.

"Your Majesty...? What's the matter?"

"I'll tell you everything... as soon as everyone is here..."


Meanwhile in the Crystal Empire

Shining Armor and his troops patrolled the Empire for the ninth time since the most recent attack, and there were still no signs of illicit activity.

"I suppose we can rest now, sir."

"No... not yet..."

"But, Shining Armor, sir! We've been wondering around the Crystal Empire nine times, and we still haven't a clue as to what these things are or where they may be hiding...!"

Unbeknownst to the ponies, the beings who eluded capture were still eavesdropping on them.

Shining Armor sighed. "Very well. I'd like one of you to write a letter to each of Twily's Ponyville friends: Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie. I want each of them to know that she, Fluttershy, Spike, and Cadence were called forth into the world where these things came from and brought our child into."

"Sir, yes, sir!"

The two wizards, surprised at hearing this, saw their chance to escape Equestria for now and inform their dark master of the news they had gathered. But before they could, they sensed a great power coming from within the palace. They snuck into the sanctum where they found the Crystal Heart.

"You have no right to be in this sacred chamber. Leave at once!" it said.

The ghastly creatures began chanting in an ancient tongue, and as they raised their arms, their claws glowed, firing a dark magic beam, sapping the Crystal Heart of nearly all its power. They let out a small sinister laugh and escaped back to their world.

"What was that?!" said a distant voice.

Shining and the guards rushed over to the Crystal Heart and to their horror, found its light dimming...

Author's Note:

There you have it. Got pretty serious in the end, didn't it?

Anyway, Firion and Guy's backstory comes from the Japanese novelization which is also where the Emperor gets his name.