• Published 8th Nov 2020
  • 1,970 Views, 6 Comments

Nier: The Last Human - StardustSprinkle



What if Sunset wakes up, and finds out that she is the last human in existence?

  • ...
4
 6
 1,970

Beginning of the End Part 2

"So, how's 9S doing?" Sunset asks, handing 2B a cup of water: "I heard that a humanoid machine took him after that EMP blast."

"Yes," 2B says, taking the cup: "He's getting better now. Hopefully, we can send him back to the bunker in a few days."

"Good," Sunset replies, sitting next to 2B: "So, this humanoid machine, what was he like?"

"He looks just like an android," 2B replies: "But his actions...I don't know. He tried to imitate human behavior in a rather perverse way."

"Tell me about it."

"He said that the core of humanity is conflict," 2B answers: "and that humans would do horrible things to each other."

"He's not entirely wrong," Sunset says, looking into her cup: "But he's not entirely right either."

"That's quite a conflicting statement," 2B says: "What do you mean by that?"

"Humans are conflicting creatures, and you can say conflict is part of our core." Sunset continues: "But there's more than that."

"Like what?"

"Resilience," Sunset says: "Kindness, and countless other values. We do terrible things, yes, but we also do good things."

"That sounds conflicting."

"Because conflict is part of what made us human, but there's so much more," Sunset says, looking at 2B: "Adam said that the core of humanity is conflict, but he ignored other elements. And that's why he's not entirely right. Some of us may do things that contradict our beliefs, but others would not. "

"I don't understand," 2B says: "I don't understand anything anymore."

"It's complicated," Sunset says: "Each individual has different beliefs about the true nature of humanity."

"What's yours?"

"Mine?" Sunset takes a sip from her cup: "I believe that humans are resilient creatures, and our culture would survive long after we are gone."

"Why?"

"Why?" Sunset says: "Look at you. You are why. You have inherited everything good from our civilization. If you can travel to my times, no one would take you as an android."

"Really?"

"Really!"

"So, Sunset," 2B asks: "For you, what's the meaning of life?"

"Now? Well, advise androids, provide them some guidance whenever I can." Sunset answers:" That's it for now. What about you?"

"I don't know," 2B says: "I've spent my entire life-fighting machines. I died hundreds of times, and I don't understand the meaning of it anymore."

"I see," Sunset replies: "Life is such a peculiar thing. At first, I thought everything would be as it is. You know, spending time with friends and all. Then all my friends turned in salt. Afterward, I freeze myself for about a couple of thousand years. And now, I am talking to you. What I am trying to say is: life is ever-changing, and you need to find a meaning for it."

"So life, in its' own right, is pointless?"

"Depends on how you look at it," Sunset says, looking into her cup: "From a universal point of view, yes."

"Then tell me, my creator, why are we here?" 2B asks, clutching to her cup.

"However, if we look at it from a smaller scale, then..." Sunset stops for a moment before continuing: "Everything has a meaning. Think about it; nothing really matters from a universal point of view. Planets? Stars? Nothing matters. Everything would fade into nothingness."

"What about us?" 2B asks/

"If you are to die tomorrow," Sunset says: "Who would cry? Who would mourn for you?"

"9S, I guess." 2B answers.

"That's why you are here," Sunset answers: "To keep the ones, whom you love and cherish, happy. If you die, his life will turn into a living hell."

"Is that so..." 2B says.

"Maybe," Sunset answers: "What do you think?"

"I don't know." 2B replies

"Then find it. That's the meaning of life. Find out why you are here and the meaning behind it all." Sunset says, finishing her cup.

"You know, Sunset, I once vowed to find the god who created us and then kill her. I want to find the one who traps us in this cycle of life and death and hold her responsible." 2B says, breaking the cup by accident.

"Oh, my," Sunset looks at 2B: "I am your creator. If you want to kill me, then go ahead."

"It wouldn't be necessary," 2B says: "We androids are made to serve humans."

"And I should be guiding androids," Sunset says: "Know this, humans will not go extinct as long as androids are here. So killing me wouldn't be a problem as long as you androids are still here."

"So you really are the last human," 2B says with a shaky voice: "So it's true..."

"Unfortunately, yes," Sunset says, pouring herself another cup of water: "I am sorry."

"You humans really are something," 2B replies: "I will keep this a secret. By the way, are you really not afraid of death?"

"No," Sunset replies: "I am scared of death. However, I am willing to give up my life for my loved ones. After seeing all my loved ones turning into salt, I..."

"Life hasn't been easy on you, has it?" 2B asks, taking a sip from her cup: "And I heard that you humans need to brush your teeth so it won't decay."

"Yeah," Sunset says: "Of course."

"And I also heard that humans live in small groups called: a family." 2B asks.

"Yeah," Sunset smiles: "It was nice to have one."

"So, Sunset," 2B looks up to the sky: "Do you think, we androids..."

"Why not?" Sunset says: "Have a family? Why not?"

"Really?"

"Really!" Sunset says: "So, do you have anyone on your mind?"

"N...no"

"Know this, 2B," Sunset looks at 2B: "Let them know that you love them before it's too late."