• Published 8th Nov 2020
  • 1,970 Views, 6 Comments

Nier: The Last Human - StardustSprinkle



What if Sunset wakes up, and finds out that she is the last human in existence?

  • ...
4
 6
 1,970

Final [S]et of the Sun

"Thank you, Alyssum," Sunset rub her eyes: "I think my eyes are back to normal."

"Of course," the nurse android replies: "Still, why would 9S do something like that?"

"I don't know," Sunset blinks her eyes: "But I'm afraid I'd have to go now. Thank you!"

"Hi, wait!" Alyssum tries to stop her, but Sunset is already gone: "You need eye drops..."


"Agh!" Sunset stumps the ground as she thinks her life through. She lost all her friends, was put into a hibernation chamber, made new friends, and almost lost them all again. The twins, dead. 2B, dead. Pascal, dead. 9S lost his mind and likely to die soon. A2, about to die if she runs into 9S. What is the point of it all anyway?

"You look troubled," a strange voice snaps Sunset out: "Oh, well. I'm not supposed to intervene, but I just can't help it after seeing everything."

"Excuse me?" Sunset asks: "Do I know you?"

"Yes and no," the woman replies: "You can call me Accord."

"Ok," Sunset takes a deep breath before forcing a smile on her face: "How can I help you?"

"It's hard to keep it up, is it?" Accord asks as her eyes focus on a book: "You don't need to pretend in front of me."

"Fine," Sunset sighs: "Who are you exactly?"

"Well," Accord flips to another page: "I'm an android, just like everyone else in this camp. However, I'm older than everyone else. Long story short, I keep an eye on time and reality. After witnessing how far you've come, I figure it would be a shame if you give up now."

"I beg your pardon?" Sunset raises an eyebrow: "What?"

"You actions so far have a profound influence on the androids," Accord continues: "You might not notice it, but androids around are acting more and more like humans. They start to understand human culture, and it would be horrible if the only human just go *snap*."

"What do you want?" Sunset tightens her fists.

"Nothing," Accord stands up, revealing a giant suitcase: "Your book isn't complete, but it's good as it is now. It's your life, your choice."

"What do you even mean?"

"She just reminds you of Fluttershy, now doesn't she?" Accord closes her book: "Perhaps a bit too much? An alternative version of Fluttershy, maybe? With a tough shell?"

"I..."

"Again," Accord turns her back towards Sunset before taking off: "The tower is a dangerous place, the center of all machines. Sending other androids in your place would accomplish nothing."

"Wait!"

"Sunset!" Anemone's voice caught Sunset's attention.

"Anemone!" Sunset turns her head around for one second, and Accord disappeared.

"Sunset!" Anemone rushes towards Sunset: "Number 2 cut off communication!"

"No..." facepalms: "I just know it..."

"We should send someone," Anemone says: "There's not many of us left, but I can still assemble a team and..."

"No," Sunset declares: "I will go alone."

"Are you insane?" Anemone's eyes open wide: "It's not happening! We can't..."

"It's an order," Sunset cuts Anemone off with a cold tone.

"But..."

"It's ok, Anemone," Sunset smiles: "I will meet with A2 before that, and we'll be safe."

"If you say so," Anemone sighs: "Just be careful, ok?"

"You got it."


"Accursed Human!"

"Revenge, revenge, revenge!"

As Sunset cross the remains of a city to the tower of the machines, she was chased by countless machine lifeforms mumbling similar things. However, there's no time to stop. A2 and 9S could clash at any time, and both of them could be dead as a result.

"Center of machines," Sunset murmurs: "So does this mean all machines will power down once we destroy the tower?"

Her breathing is stable, even after running long distances with a spear. It appears that Sunset's health is almost back to normal, thanks to Devola and Popola's treatment. However, her refusal of salt has caused damage to her body. Although much better than before, her health will never reach the level before she was put into sleep.

"Oh," Sunset stops as a giant cone-shaped structure emerges from the horizon.

"Pod, call A2," Sunset says.

"Establishing connection...failed. Please try again." the flying box replies.

"I just know it," Sunset sighs: "Ok, Pod, we are going in. If anything happens to me, then get A2 out of there no matter the price."

"Sunset..."

"It's an order," Sunset claims.

"Affirmative."

Accord, Sunset thought as she makes her way to the tower: I've heard of that name before. She comes and goes like the wind. Only a few have caught sight of her. Who is she anyway? More importantly, how does she know what I'm thinking about? I was just going to let 9S and A2 sort this out by themselves, but I also fear what will become if 9S kills A2. It's getting hard and hard to play this "perfect human" role. Maybe, just maybe, I'm doing the right thing?

As they get closer and closer, Sunset notices an increase in the number of the remains of the machine lifeforms. Indeed it's the handy work of A2. However, some of the remains are less damaged and appear to be in good condition. Those are the works of 9S. He has the power to hack into them and destroy their operating system and permanently power them down.

Finally, they've arrived at the doorstep of the tower.

"Fine then," Sunset took a deep breath and swallowed her heart: "Here I go."


"9S, we androids are..."

"Shut up!" 9S shouts as his red eyes glow bright red, a sign of infection by the logic virus: "You killed 2B, and now you will pay! Pods! Do not interfere. Stay aside until one of us is dead!"

"..." With no words left, A2 raises her sword against her kin.

The two exchanged blows after blows. 9S uses his power to temporarily A2's senses, and A2 relies on her years of combat experience to counter 9S's attacks. The duel lasted forever. The building starts to crumble, a sign that the core of the tower has been destroyed. Aside from them, Sunset is the only one capable of such a task. Finally, both parties saw an opening. With her years of experience, A2 would surely emerge victoriously. However, as she delivers the final blow, 2B's voice starts to echo in her head: "Please take care of 9S."

Her hand stopped. She can't do that. She can't strike 9S down.

"Sorry, Sunset." A2 closes her eyes, waiting for 9S to finish the fight.

Instead of piercing pain in her chest, A2 felt nothing. When her eyes open again, A2 is shocked by what she sees: Sunset, the master of all androids, now covered in blood, pierced 9S's chest with the spear that Devola and Popola gifted her. 9S, on the other hand, perhaps out of instinct, buried his sword deep into Sunset's heart.

"Sunset?" A2 says with a shaky voice: "SUNSET!"

"Caution, Sunset Shimmer, status: Deceased. Pod, Missing." A2's Pod says: "Mission: escorting Unit A2 to safety."

"Shut up!" A2 tried to push her Pod away. Strangely enough, the small floating box has the power to subdue an android and carry them in its' delicate mechanical arms.


"Ma'am, it seems like the tower is destroyed," An android walks into Anemone's tent: "Reports across regions indicate that machines are powering down, probably for good."

"That's great news," Anemone pushes other documents aside: "Is there reports about Sunset?"

"I'm afraid not," the android shakes her head.

"Ok, thank you, Daisy," Anemone says: "What about Unit A2?"

"About that," Daisy made a face: "A few androids run into her Pod carrying her unconscious body. It is believed that she's the only surviving member of that tower. Once A2 wakes up, we can get more details."

"And?"

"And...well," Daisy rolls her eyes: "According to the Pod, 9S was infected by Logic Virus and tried to kill A2. However, he was stopped by Sunset before that could happen."

"So 9S and Sunset killed each other."

"Yes, I'm afraid so."

"I see," Anemone buries her face in her palms: "Take good care, go, Number 2."

"Yes, ma'am!" Daisy salutes.

"And Daisy? Before you go, do be careful. I don't want to lose anyone from this point on."

"Of course, I will. Ma'am. And you be careful as well."


"So, tough day, yeah?" Anemone enters A2's room without knocking: "Sorry for barging in; it has been rough for me today."

"It's ok," A2 replies, her eyes focus on Sunset's necklace: "So it's all over, yeah?"

"For us, yes," Anemone leans against the wall: "All the machines are powered down for good; all that's left to do is to rebuild human civilization!"

"Yeah?" A2 smirks: "It's nice that Sunset left us a manual for that."

"I know," Anemone smiles: "She truly is a gift for us all, isn't she?"

"She is,"

"Say, um," Anemone clears her throat: "Now that we don't have to fight anymore, do you have any plans? I could really use a hand or two here."

"Sure thing," A2responds, eyes still on the crimson-colored gem.

"And Sunset's funeral will tomorrow if you want to attend."

"I will."

"Ok, that's all." Anemone lets out a long breath: "I will leave you alone for a bit. Just call me if you need anything, ok?"

"Ok, thank you very much."

As the door closes, A2 is left alone with the symbol of friendship Sunset bestowed on her.

"If I can't live for myself," A2 mumbles: "Then live for my friends. But Sunset, you really don't need to do this...why?"

First time in years, Android Number 2 felt the pain of losing another friend.