• ...
23
 1,407
 1,306

PreviousChapters Next
Sir Handel's Plan

"Who does that Peter Sam think he is?" grumbled Sir Handel. "He goes gallivanting off to Crewe- no sorry, Twywn, and then when the new engine isn't ready he gets brought back here! It makes no sense, I tell you!"

"We do have an engine shortage, remember," Skarloey told him. "Luke isn't powerful enough to pull the passenger trains most days, and as a result it's just three engines who are doing all the work."

"Yeah, right," Sir Handel grunted. "You get to go to Corris, Rheneas gets a new boiler courtesy of Israel Newton, Peter Sam goes to the Talyllyn, but I never get to go anywhere! When Peter Sam gets home, I know what I shall do if he's got ideas above his station."

"I can't see any ideas above the station," said Ocellus, confused. "Can you?"

"It's a figure of speech!" Skarloey laughed. "Ocellus, you really do need to stop taking things literally."

"I do not!" Ocellus replied.

"Do you listen to music?" Gallus asked.

"Yes."

"Proves our point," Sir Handel said, tiredly. "What Gallus was inferring was 'what sort of music do you listen to?'"

Ocellus blinked. "Oh."

Not long after, Peter Sam rolled back into the shed. "Hello!" he called. "I had an excellent time in Wales! Shall I tell you all about it?"

"Oh no, here we go..." Sir Handel grumbled.

"You can tell them all about it whilst your fire is cooling," said Mr Percival. "You need to have a nice long rest as you're back to work early tomorrow. I'm sorry, but we really need to have as many engines running as possible."

Sir Handel was furious. "What's the point," he said, as he backed onto the coaches, "of just getting home, and then lazing about the entire day? It's disgraceful."

"Some would call it disgusting," said a voice.

"And others would call it despicable," said another voice.

Sir Handel had no idea who had just spoken. But his mind was focused on other things. He was so annoyed that he banged into the coaches.

"Ouch! That hurt!" said Agnes.

"Be quiet!" Sir Handel snapped. As he moved forward, his wheels slipped on a patch of wet rail.

"Woah! Easy!" said Gallus. "You'll be drilling a hole in the rails at this rate!"

Sir Handel wasn't listening, however. In the shed, he swore that he could see Peter Sam laughing. "Right," he said grimly. "That's it. Time for soup can to learn that he doesn't get on the bad side of 'steamroller wheels'."

Gallus slammed the brakes on. "This doesn't look good," he said, glancing at the rails. "Your firebars have come loose, and you can't safely operate. I'll need to put you in the shed so I can mend them." Firebars are components fitted to an engine's firebox, that are needed to help hold the fire in the firebox. If they are damaged, the fire can fall out and leave the track in quite the mess.

Sir Handel was a little surprised by this turn of events, but he could easily make this work to his benefit. Some of his fire could be rescued, and was put into Peter Sam. Silverstream sprinted into the yard with Terramar following shortly behind. "Am I late?" she asked. "I'm so, so sorry I overslept! There was so much going on and I probably drank far too much coffee last night and-"

"Silvs, it's a Sunday," Terramar said. "Day of rest, remember?"

"Not for you, I'm afraid," said Mr Percival. "Sir Handel has suffered a mechanical fault and needs to be looked at. Silverstream, please take Peter Sam and bring him into service. Terramar, can you help Gallus with Sir Handel? I think it's a big job."

"Yes sir!" both of them said, and went to their respective engines. Peter Sam was soon making a good head of steam, and with a blast of the whistle moved off into the sunlight.

"Peep peep!" Peter Sam called. "Good to be back! Good to be back!"

"Wanna come with us, Gallus?" Silverstream called. "The lake looks really lovely! If it weren't for the fact I'm working, I would've gone in for a dip!"

"Wait, what?" Gallus asked.

"She always has her swimsuit on her for some reason," Terramar mentioned. "I don't think we can, Silverstream. We need to get these firebars fixed."

"OK!" Silverstream replied. "Have fun with DIY!"

"She once fitted a chimney using only an old drainpipe," Gallus explained. "I don't think an old drainpipe will work for fixing firebars, though."

They worked for days and days, trying their hardest to fix the mess, but it soon became apparent that the firebars couldn't be saved. "We'll have to order new ones," said Gallus. "I'll get on the phone to Crovan's Gate and have some new ones made."

"Can't you use Amazon?" Terramar asked.

"These are highly specialised parts. It's not as if you can order them for click and collect."

Sir Handel sat there for days still. His paintwork faded and became dull, and he was very cold. Everybody flocked to see Peter Sam, but only Gallus came to do maintenance work every now and then. "Oh dear," Sir Handel thought. "This plan backfired badly."

Many days more passed, until Mr Percival came in to check on him. "Hello, Sir Handel!" he said. "Why do you look so glum? I thought you normally complained about working!"

"Sorry sir," Sir Handel groaned.

"For having an accident? Sir Handel, we all have accidents and make errors. It's only natural."

"I knocked the firebars loose deliberately, to pay Peter Sam back... and now it's all backfired rather badly."

Mr Percival blinked. "Right," he said. "That was a very foolish thing to do, but I want to thank you for admitting to it. If you promise to be good, we shall get the new parts fitted."

"Yes sir!" Sir Handel replied.

Just then, Gallus walked in from the other end with the new firebars in his hands, and they were fitted in no time at all. Nobody thought to tell Sir Handel that they had only been delivered that morning.

PreviousChapters Next