• ...
23
 1,407
 1,305

PreviousChapters Next
Dirty Water

One day, after having gotten in from a lot of work, Peter Sam was being cleaned by his driver, Silverstream, and her brother, Terramar. Only Silverstream had gone to Wales with Peter Sam; Terramar had stayed behind as he had been helping with Luke to keep the railway running.

"They clean engines very well on the Talyllyn, you know!" Peter Sam said with a smile.

Terramar looked over. "Are you saying that just because, or are you implying something else?"

"He's implying something else," Silverstream said quickly. "After all, he's a great engine to work with, and the crew at the Talyllyn did a good job."

"I remember the time I got ill after being cleaned there," said Peter Sam. "Would you like to hear the story?"

"I was there, so I know what happened," Silverstream said. "But I'm sure Terramar would love to hear!"

"I would," Terramar said, and pulled up a chair. Silverstream sat down in the driver's seat, as she and Peter Sam began to tell the story.


Pendre, North Wales


Silverstream held her tea in a mug in one hand. No point in drinking scalding hot liquid from your hands, after all. She tasted some more of it. "This tastes funny!" she said. "It seems oddly sweet."

"That's because the water here is soft," explained the depot manager, with a smile. "The water passes through very few rocks, and surrenders very few minerals to the water, which is what gives it the strange taste. There you are from, they have hard water, which surrenders most of its minerals. The only problem with soft water is that all that silt and other things in it produces limescale that clogs the tubes. I recall one story where they had to remove an engine's boiler tubes with another engine because the tubes were jammed in solid!"

"How do you deal with the problem?" asked Peter Sam.

"We use a special chemical process to remove all of that stuff, which is fitted to most of our water towers," the manager went on. "This is why our engines can use the water with no difficulty. Otherwise, cleaning out the boilers would be a right mess!"

As the manager walked away, Silverstream backed Peter Sam up to the water pipe, ran it into his tank, and turned the tap. Water soon began gently rolling down the pipe and flowed in Peter Sam's water tank. He was a saddle tank, and thus only had one tank, not two, as was once erroneously reported by somebody (who I can't recall). Peter Sam, however, did not react well to the water.

"Silverstream?" he called. "Something doesn't feel right. The water tastes off, somehow!"

"Maybe that filter thingy takes affect in the tanks?" Silverstream suggested.

There was a loud whistle behind them. "Can you please hurry up?" asked Talyllyn. "I've been sitting here for a while whilst you two have been blathering on. We have a railway to run, you know!"

"Sorry, Talyllyn," said Peter Sam. "We'll be on our way momentarily." Then his boiler was full. Silverstream turned the tap off, and walked back to the cab. With precision and care, she moved him onto the main running line, and then began to reverse to Twywn Wharf station, where a little diesel called Mountaineer had already moved the coaches into position. Peter Sam was coupled up, and all seemed good. Silverstream opened the injectors to fill the boiler.

"Ouch!" Peter Sam exclaimed. "I feel sick! This water does not sit well with me at all."

"Oh dear," Silverstream said. She started to fidget. You could tell she was worried if she was fidgeting more than usual (given her usual inability to keep still). She glanced back. "We'll take a look when we arrive at Nant Gwernol at the end of the line, OK?"

They never made it that far. The last of the passengers boarded, the guard blew his whistle and waved his green flag, and soon the train was ready to depart. Silverstream pulled on the whistle chord, and grew even more concerned. "The whistle doesn't normally gurgle," she said, confused. She then opened the regulator.

Suddenly, a massive jet of dirty, white water blasted out of his funnel and fell everywhere. It landed on the track. It landed on the platform. It landed on Peter Sam. It landed on the station canopy. It landed on Silverstream. Water was everywhere.

"Yuck!" Peter Sam exclaimed. "What a mess!" He was in no condition to operate, but luckily Mountaineer was nearby, and shunted him out of the way so that Talyllyn could take his train instead. Silverstream looked upset, and her voice quivered. She seemed legitimately upset.

"P- Peter Sam?" she asked quietly. "I- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have tried to run you in these conditions!"

"It's alright," Peter Sam said. "You weren't to know. Now let's hope I can be wheeled back to the shed and get this mess cleaned up."

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be. The visitors had come to see Peter Sam, and would have been disappointed if he hadn't been there. So he sat on the siding for the rest of the day, covered in sludge. Silverstream did her best to clean him up, but the mess remained, and Peter Sam had to endure hours of people laughing at him.


"...Silverstream did finally get a chance to wash me thoroughly, although she ended up extremely mucky herself," Peter Sam finished. "Eventually, it turned out that they had put far too much of the special substance into the water tower, and that was what caused the water to go weird. They use a different substance to clean the water now, as a consequence of that incident, and that is what I was referring to when I said that they clean engines very well on the Talyllyn, given how much muck was stuck on me."

Terramar nodded. "Remind me never to complain about cleaning Rheneas' ashpans again," he said, and he and his sister went back to cleaning Peter Sam.

Author's Note:

Limescale was a massive problem on British Railways, especially on the North Eastern region. In fact, you could tell the state of the water table simply from looking at an engine's boiler!

This image gives a good sense of what a limescale encrusted loco looked like. The incident in this story is loosely inspired by an incident on the Talyllyn that occurred in the 1980s.

PreviousChapters Next