• ...
 6
 267

first day of lessons

Chapter 3: The first day of lessons

Sunset walked into Arithmancy with Twilight and Hermione.

"Hey, Sunset!" cried Ernie. "Good holidays?"

"Great, Ernie, thanks," replied Sunset. "Yours?"

"Boring. Mum and dad wouldn't let me do anything. What about yours, Hermione?"

Hermione smiled. "I spent about 3 weeks with Ron and Harry and then a week with Twilight."

"Anyway, it's back to school. OWLs this year!" cried Twilight.

Sunset groaned. "Twi, please, just please stop reminding us of the worst exams ever! All I want to do is get this over and done with then I can play Tickle Fruit 2!"

"Huh," said Twilight. "Come on. Let's sit down."


As Sunset walked with Twilight to Herbology(which by the way was the next lesson), Rainbow Dash came up. "Um, Dash." said Sunset. "Can I talk for you for just a second?"

Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrows. "Go ahead, Sun. What do ya wanna talk to me about?"

Sunset sighed. "Um, I'm Quidditch Captain for Slytherin and I was wondering, do you have any advice?"

Rainbow Dash smiled. "Well, establish a rivalry, like CPA and CHS. If you can, obviously. Be kind and show them team spirit. Don't make too many enemies, but have fun! Also, a good pep talk before matches are a good idea."

"Thanks, Dash," said Sunset gratefully.

Professor Sprout came into the Greenhouse. "Get into groups of 4 or 5, please."

"Hey, Sunset! Twi!" shouted Applejack, waving the two girls over. "Do ya wanna work with me, Dash and Fluttershy?"

Sunset's face lit up. "Sure, guys!" she cried.

Twilight pored over the book. "Guys, it says in the book we have to jab the Snargaluff pods then put the tubers in the bowl."

Professor Sprout smiled. "That's the way to do it, Miss Sparkle. Maybe your group would like to demonstrate?"

Twilight got a knife from the side and gently jabbed the Snargaluff pod. She then held the tuber with her thumb and fore and gently placed the wriggling tuber in a glass bowl.

"Perfect! Now, The group who can get the most snargaluff pods in their glass bowl will earn 50 points for their house. Miss Sparkle, could you pass me that bowl and you collect a new one?"

Twilight passed Professor Sprout the bowl and collected a new one.

"Your time starts… NOW!"

1 hour passed and Neville's group (Hannah, Neville, Harry, Ron and Hermione) and Twilight's group (Rainbow, Applejack, Sunset, Fluttershy and Twilight) were tied.

"And I present 350 points to Gryffindor, 100 points to Hufflepuff and 50 points to Slytherin!"

"That was the best Herbology lesson I ever had!" cried Harry.

Rainbow Dash laughed. "Same here!"

"We have Potions with you guys," said Twilight. "Sunset, do you wanna sit next to me?"

"Yeah, but Blaise will be also next to me, so I can help him. And if we can, obviously."

Twilight laughed. "Of course, Sun."


In potions, Professor Snape swept in and shut the door.

"I want you all to make the Draught of peace. In pairs. Mr Potter, you will work with Mr Weasley. Mr Malfoy, you'll work with Miss Sparkle. Miss Granger, you'll work with Mr Crabbe. Miss Shimmer, you'll work with Mr Zabini. Miss Dash, you'll work with Mr Goyle. Miss Apple, you'll work with Mr Longbottom. Patil, Brown. Finnigan, Thomas. You have one hour."

"Right," said Sunset. "This will be easy."

"For you," said Blaise. "Snape likes you. You're like his top student!"

Sunset started to put all the ingredients and followed the steps, step by step.

Blaise smiled. "Wow! I'd say we've done!"

Sunset blushed. "Uh, thanks, Blaise," she replied shyly. "Shall we get Professor Snape to check it?"

Blaise collected a sample and handed it to Professor Snape.

"Well, that looks near perfect!" said Snape. "Well done, I'll award you 10 points to Slytherin each."


Snape smiled a rare smile and then walked around the room. "Longbottom. The potion is supposed to be Midnight blue. It's-"

"Orange," said Applejack sheepishly. "I'm sorry, Professor. We got a little mixed up with the ingredients and Nev didn't really understand anythin' you said an' Hermione an' Twi and Sunse' was busy with their own and I know that Dash is better than ah am but ah don't suppose we could swop partners with someone who's better than potions?"

"Miss Sparkle, how are you getting on?"

"Draco's not letting me do any work!"

"Right. Malfoy, you need to start again. Did you even weigh the ingredients?"

"Um…" said Draco. "Er, I thought I did. But do I have to work with the Mudblood? She doesn't stop talking about books so I just ignored her."

"Miss Sparkle, I want you to work with Mr Longbottom. Your friend has alerted me that Longbottom obviously needs coaching. Miss Apple, you work with Mr Malfoy."

Soon the lesson had finished and it seemed Sunset and Blaise made a Draught of Peace successfully. "For homework," said Snape, "I want you all to write an essay on Moonstones and their properties. Dismissed."

They exited the potions lab, the students talking and laughing.

"That was nice of Snape to let you help me," said Neville.

"It's only because it's the beginning of a year," said Twilight, hoisting her backpack on her back.

"And now, I have transfiguration!" groaned Applejack.

"I love transfiguration!" cried Twilight.