• Published 6th Dec 2020
  • 589 Views, 11 Comments

Absence Of Life - AnnEldest



What first started out as a simple dare turns into a hellish nightmare as these groups of students find out the hard way that some things should be left untouched.

  • ...
4
 11
 589

Part One: A Voice To Follow

The clouds rolled in from overhead and participated in the active dry thunder. A storm without rain; without a master, it aimlessly fired at the ground. The lightning illuminated the dingy sky and forced color to the land below.

The orange dragon hadn't talked to her friends much since the fight. Instead, she stayed distant and spent most of her time in her room. The hall seems foreign to her now as she gazed at their decor and looked at all the empty lockers. Every one was so concerned about the incident and the weather outside to everyone away from the hollows of the school.

Smolder wandered the halls looking left and right through the windows to the outside world. She sighed as she realized the position of solitude and the weight of her punishment. It had been a few days since she wasn't allowed to interact with the outside world and she started to feel the weight of the situation.

Sandbar had been in recovery for a couple of days and he seemed to be mostly alright. Twilight had asked questions about what happened in the house but he had no memory. Instead, he described flashes of loud noises in the feeling of something grabbing him. He couldn't make out what it was as it was too dark but he remembered feeling a deep cold breath on his face and the growl before it tore into him.

She walked down the hallway with her head hung low and our thoughts up high in the clouds. It was then that she heard a little whisper that seemed to call her name.

"Hello?"

I wait for the time when the sun will truly rise. See now spirit from the depth of the night, come forth now into the absence of light.

No...no...It's not that.

She tilted her head up towards a tinted hallway that seemed to have uncanny darkness to it. She didn't see many by the blinking in ominous-looking lights that coded the void in front of her. Instead, she kept walking forward until the whisper called her from the darkness once more. She stood up straight and looked down the hallway with more conviction. The darkness seemed to back in her as if someone was standing there watching, calling her.

It was then that she could feel the cold rush past her. it wasn't cool and easy like the breeze that lingered outside; instead, it was cold and harsh and scraped the dumpster hide with emotion and clear intent. Then she started to creep forward fueled by curiosity Yet repelled by anguish at the same time.

“Smolder?” An innocent voice back in her from the opposite direction.

Smolder turned away from the Dark Void. I saw her little pegasus friend standing before her. “Oh, hey Cozy Glow.” She sighed. “What are you doing?”

“Same as you,” Cozy sighed. “Just wondering about these empty halls.” There was a pause. "Look, about the fight, I-"

"Don't," Smolder said coldly. "Don't go there. Not now."

Cozy looked down the hallway that her dragon friend had been staring at before. She said looking back down the hallway to where her other friend's rooms laid. “Have you seen the others at all?”

“Not since the incident.”

“Golly,” Cozy gasped. “I haven't seen anyone in what feels like forever now.”

“Well, I've seen them around,” Smolder corrected. “I just haven't talked to them or even approached them.”

“Well, I suppose I've done the same,” Cozy admitted. “Actually,” Cozy perked her head up as a thought entered her mind. “ I haven't seen Silver Stream at all.”

“Yeah, me neither actually,” Smolder admitted. “I think she's the only one I haven't even seen a glimpse of.”

“I sure hope she's alright,” Cozy gasped.

“I'm sure she's fine. She’s probably just still upset like the rest of us.”

“Do you think we should go and check up on her?” Cozy smiled with her innocent voice.

“Eh,” Smolder sighed.

“Come on,” Cozy beckoned. “I get we're not too happy with each other but she's our friend we should at least see if she's alright.”

“Fine,” Smolder sighed. “It's not like I have anything better to do I guess.”

The duo made their way to their friend's door and slowly knocked on it. It was just odd as there was a slight hesitation for the dragons not as if she resented it. the silence was their only answer as the call echoed in what seems like an empty room. Smolder knocked once more, only for more silence to call back.

"Silver Stream?” Smolder called out. “Are you in there?”

Silence called back.

“I guess she's not in there,” Smolder sighed as she got ready to walk away. "Welp. We tried."

“Smolder,” Cozy whined as she motioned towards the door.

“What?” Smolder groaned. “She's probably just asleep or something.”

It was then that they heard a loud crash and their friend's room followed by a loud scraping sound. The two froze as they stared at the door then back at each other and once more to the door. They both put their heads up to the door and listen only for something to smack against the door hard causing it to rattle.

“Silver Steam?” Smolder called out. “Are you alright?”

Another loud crash was their only answer and the two backed away from the door as they looked at each other. Smolder took a deep breath and look back up at the door. She turned her friend and nodded her head as if to inform her of her actions. Cozy nodded back in approval as if giving her a sign to do whatever she was about to do. The dragon charged forward and smashed right into the door causing it to snap open and rattle on its hinges.

Smolder crashed to the ground and slid across till she had that back wall. Cozy gasped as loud as she could at the sight before her. Silver Stream's entire bedroom had looked like a hurricane had passed through it and left nothing but destruction in its wake. Papers and trash covered the floor with what appeared to be writing and symbols all over the walls, all written in black ink.

"What happened?" Cozy was nearly out of breath from the sight.

The two looked around at what once was their friend's room. But where there was destruction, there was absence as well for their friend was nowhere in sight.

“Where is she?” Cozy cried.

“How should I know,” Smolder groaned.

“D-did she do this?” Cozy cried.

“Look,” Smolder growled. “I came in here right behind you so I know just as much as you do alright.”

“But then where…” Cozy paused as she stared at the shattered window on the far side of the room. She looked down at Smolder as she got to her feet and gazed at the same scenery.

“You don’t think?”

"Come on!" Smolder flew out the broken window. "Before we lose sight of her."

Their journey began as they followed the ominous footprints that were outside the broken window. In the distance, they saw Silver Stream flying off somewhere. They both exchanged glances and looked back at the school as they knew the risk they were taking, however, their friend’s safety and sheer curiosity. They led deep into the forest and showed no signs of stopping.

Eventually, they came to a stop when they saw where Silver Stream ended up going.

“Oh great. This place again?” Smolder asked as she gazed up at the large broken castle of the two sisters.

The duel had followed her through the forest and right up to the majestic palace. It was a place that they did never truly gone only heard stories and tales of. They didn't see any reason for their friend to be there and they knew they sure weren't supposed to be there either. Just once more curiosity and concern towards the entrance and which like a dog on a leash they followed.

Inside they admired the broken draping tapestries that hung high on the walls. The old castle seemed to hold many stories and whispered in the wind. The history that was engraved in the walls would take a lifetime for someone to review.

“Silver Stream?” Cozy called out.

Smolder turned around to see the little pony staring at the hippogriff. “Silver Stream?”

Their friend stood in a trance as she swayed back and forth locked up to the wall in front of her. She took no acknowledgment of your friend's calls and only continue to sway back and forth.

“What are you doing here?” Smolder gasped.

The silence was their only response.

“We're not supposed to leave the school, you know that.”

Silence was still the only response.

“Silver Stream!” She growled.

“Smolder!” Cozy snapped.

“What?”

“Something is clearly wrong with her. You can't just yell.” Cozy bend down and got her to a friend's face. “Silver?” She whispered. “What's going on?”

Silver Stream Jolted her head as her eyes shifted to acknowledge her friend. “Are you alright?” Silver stream nodded in response. “Why did you come here?”

“He…”

“He what?”

“He led me here.”

“Who led you here?” Smolder interjected. Cozy Looked over at Smolder as they exchanged nods of understanding. Smolder had finally realized that something was horribly wrong with her friend. She knew what the situation had to be dealt with carefully.

“He led me here," she repeated. "He wanted me to come to find him. He said she was with us,” Silver Stream gasped.

“Who was with us where?” Cozy whispered.

“In the house.”

“Is she the one who attacked us?” Smolder whispered as she bent down next to her friend. Silver Stream nodded in confirmation. "Look, she isn't real-"

"Let her talk," Cozy interrupted. She spoke calmly to Silver Stream. "Go on Silver Stream."

"She is going to kill us like she killed him and his friends."

"Who?" Cozy then asked.

"I-I don't know," she said. Cozy saw she was holding something but couldn't make out what the item was. "All he told me is that no creature knows where he is at. She is going to do the same to us."

"Nothing bad is going to happen Silver Stream. You're just scaring yourself," Smolder reassured her. But the look in her face suggested that she was slightly worried about what was being told to her.

Cozy Glow looked at her weirdly at her friend. Part of her wanting to believe Silver, another wanted to think that Silver Stream was crazy. It would be the more sane, less dangerous option. Yet it stood out to her for some reason. It sounded familiar. She gasped as she then remembered Luna mentioning somepony going missing not too long ago.

Are they connected after all? Maybe Luna was on to something...I knew it. She does know something.

“Witch.”

"What?”

“They called her witch.” Silver Stream looked up at her two friends with a stamp of horror on her face. “She came with us,” she gasped. "She needs one of us."

"For what?" Cozy asked.

"To be free..." her voice drifted. "She's close... Savannah."

“Wait. Where is she now?” Cozy gasped.

Open your eyes.
It's time to see the morning sun
Don’t cry.
Don’t run.
Let’s see what the day becomes.

They all stood still, chills running up their spines.

See now spirit from the depth of the night, come forth now into the absence of light.

"Please tell me that's some creature just trying to break into a song," Smolder pleaded.

"I can hear him..." Silver Stream let out.

"W-what?" Smolder stuttered.

Their eyes traveled around the room, debating if they really wanted to know the source. Cozy got a glance at Silver Stream; her body trembling as she whimpered. It was at this moment that Cozy saw exactly what Silver Stream was holding tightly in her hands as she pulled it out in front of her.

"Silver Stream, what are you doing?! Stop! Don't do it!"

"I have to. You don't understand."

"Stop Silver Stream! Give me the knife."

Smolder got in between them and grabbed the knife away from Silver Stream. She flew up above them. Her arms crossed with a look of pity and disappointment. Cozy couldn't tell if Smolder was upset at Silver Stream or Cozy Glow. Cozy seemed sure that it was meant towards Silver Stream.

"Are you kidding me right now?! This is why you came here?!"

"W-what?" Cozy was shocked.

"You really want to do this to yourself?! To your family, your friends?" Smolder cried out in anger but also concern. "Instead of coming to your friends and talking to us about it, you choose to come here and...and..." Her voice drifted, unable to say it out loud.

"I--I... it's not like that. I wasn't going to do anything to myself."

"Oh, so this is plastic then?!" Smolder sarcastically asked, holding out the knife.

Silver Stream covered her ears and started rocking back and forth. "Shut up! Leave me alone! Get out of my head, please!"

"Smolder, you're not helping!" Cozy put her hoof on both sides of her cheeks and forced Silver Stream to look at her. "Tell us what going on with you," Cozy pleaded. "Let us help you."

"I feel like..."

Silver Stream started hyperventilating as she kept rocking back and forth. Cozy tried calming her down but it was no use. She mumbled silently to herself.

"What happened to her?" Smolder whispered to Cozy.

"I...I don't know."


"It all happened so fast," Cozy Glow's voice trembled. "When I saw the knife...I almost didn't react to it. My mind couldn't process it."

I found myself breathing more heavily now. So many memories flooded my mind.

"I just jumped on her, trying to get the knife away. Smolder didn't even--it took her a moment to realize what was going on."

Her eyes watered as she held back tears.

"Smolder then helped me get it away from her. She kept screaming but I couldn't make out what she was saying. We weren't sure what to do..." Her voice clearly distressed. "It took a while but we were able to calm her down. She said a voice kept telling her that she needed to," Cozy Glow made air quotes with her hoof. "find him."

"Find who?" I asked.

"No clue," she shrugged but her face said otherwise.

"But?" I pressed on.

"But...I thought it might have had something to do with the pony you told me about," she said. "The one who went missing."

My mind quickly thought of Timber Halls. I knew then what Silver Stream might by "finding him." If it was indeed him that was talking to her. It would explain why I hadn't seen him since the day I spoke with Spike in the courtyard. My only question was then why Silver Stream? He could have easily just kept talking to me.

"Maybe. It could be possible," I agreed.

She laid her head down on the table. "We took her back to the school and brought her to my room. I had Smolder watched her. We weren't sure what to do. I never dealt with anything like this before."

"No child should have to," I whispered to myself. "That's why you went to me?"

"Yeah. I was hoping to--"

"I know what you were trying to do," I said coldly.

"I knew it was wrong I just didn't know what else to do," Cozy admitted.

"Well, in your defense, normal ponies don't usually get attacked by ghosts." It was the first time she smiled during the conversation.

"I sure hope not." she laughed. "It was not a good day for sure."

I pitied her. I could see how this was all wearing her down. "Everything that happened with Silver Stream, this happened-"

"The night of the attack," she answered. "Yeah, it was. But you already know that."

"Not what led up to it," I corrected.


Cozy sat outside in the courtyard. Hours had already passed She told Smolder she would try not to be too long, but it depended on whether she would spot the princess or not. She knew that Luna hadn't left to Canterlot yet, or that was what she hoped for. All she could do was wait. She remembered hearing them say to meet up somewhere. Maybe they were planning to come back to the school.

Just as she was going to give up, in the distance she saw the same cat from the hospital. Beside him was no other than Princess Luna. Cozy assumed they were headed over to the castle much to her disappointment.

Getting into trouble should be the least of your worries. She needs to see this.

She got up from her seat and tried to catch up to them. "Princess Luna! Princess Luna!"

Princess Luna and her friend both jumped. Luna turned around and saw Cozy coming up to her.

"Cozy Glow?! What are-"

"I know. I know. Don't leave the school, follow the rules. But I need your help," Cozy was nearly out of breath. "T-there s-s-something wrong...I don't know..."

"Deep breaths, kid. Don't knock yourself out," the cat told her.

Luna put a wing around Cozy. "It's okay. I know it has been hard on you."

Cozy took the cat's advice and took a few deep breaths. Luna remained quiet and waited till she knew Cozy was calm down enough.

"Feel better?"

Cozy nodded.

"Okay. Now tell me what's wrong," Luna said calmly to her.

"It's my friend, Silver Stream. Something's wrong with her. She has been distant from us and talking to herself. All my friends are scare and freaking out and I don't know what to do."

Luna faced back at her friend who only shrugged. "Umm Cozy, this sounds like something you should go to Twilight or Starlight Glimmer for."

"I would," she said. "But I don't think she would understand this as you would."

Luna looked carefully at her. "In what way exactly."

Cozy clear her throat. "I can show you if you would please come with me?"

She can tell Luna was skeptical about going. "Look, Cozy I--"

"Please! For me," she jumped. "It would help a lot."

Without saying anything, Luna lowered herself down and placed a hoof on Cozy's cheek. She stood still not sure what the princess was doing or if she should move. Luna's eyes shot open after a few seconds. She looked more frightened than Cozy Glow was.

"Princess? Princess Luna? Are you okay?"

"Huh?... I mean yes. I'm fine, thank you," Luna said. She trotted past Cozy towards the school. "Capper?"

"I'll just wait at the castle," Capper pointed behind him.

"Very well. I will try not to be too long," she said before turning her attention to Cozy. "Take me to her."

Author's Note:

Once again, wrote a lot and decided to slip the chapter up for it was coming close to over seven thousand words. I didn't want the chapters to be too long. So the next chapter will come pretty soon since I have it all mostly done.

Till Next Time!!!:pinkiehappy: