• Published 6th Dec 2020
  • 589 Views, 11 Comments

Absence Of Life - AnnEldest



What first started out as a simple dare turns into a hellish nightmare as these groups of students find out the hard way that some things should be left untouched.

  • ...
4
 11
 589

Part One: Something That Is Dead

In the school, a small pony roamed the halls scared with the curse of boredom. She sighed heavily at the quiet empty halls. Classes were scarce on that day, leaving the school empty to all those who weren’t confined to its walls. She paused as she passed a familiar hallway.

She stared down at Gallus’s room which too wreaked of silence. She sighed as she slowly walked away from her friend’s door. She checked the library for any signs of life but was only greeted by the buzz of a fly that too shared in her loneliness. She slowly walked away from the empty display of books as she clung loosely to life. Suddenly her ears perked up in instinct. She turned as she heard the melody of an enchanting tone emanating from the hall of books.

She slowly crept back into the library as she tried to locate its origins. The very books seemed to sway to its sweet melody as the air became heavy. She began to search every hallway of bookshelves searching every crevice. It was pulling her closer. The voice was her guide leading her like a tour guide. Her journey led her left and right up and down till she had searched nearly the entire library. Just as she was about to give up hope of ever finding her mystery pony, she heard a sweet innocent echo.

She turned around to a darkened corner of the library where the voice emanated from. A weird sensation took over her body as if her body was alarmed. Suddenly her legs became heavy and her breaths quicken. The Voice became a home that echoed into the dark corner. Cozy follow the trail slowly creeping towards what felt like danger. She swallowed hard. Her actions seemed horribly wrong but her mind could not come up with the reason why her body knew it all too well.

“Cozy?”

Cozy snapped her head around and let out a scream preparing herself to be attacked.

"Oh, dear. I'm sorry! I didn't mean to frighten you."

Cozy took a moment to catch her breath. “...Princess Luna?”

“Ya?” Luna chuckled. “What are you doing?”

Cozy turned back to the corner that was now let with the rays of the sun. The darkness had subsided and the light had rained once again. The sense of danger had vanished just as quickly as it had arrived at all seemed to be in order once more. Cozy took a deep breath and her body relaxed and the tension had eased its way out of her body.

“Nothing,” she replied. “I was just lonely that's all.” Her sweet innocent voice filled the room with something other than fear. It made the princess smile and filter her heart with something other than worried.

“I was informed about your friend. I'm sorry about him."

"It's okay," she said in a low tone.

"Well, I heard that you all got in trouble for what happened.”

“It was all my fault,” she cried. “I should have never told them about that place. Sandbar would be all right if it wasn't for me.”

“Now now, it's not time to play the blame game and he's alright and that's what matters.” Luna’s words of comfort brought more delight to the room. “Besides, you seem to have learned your lesson and you won't do it again so that's another plus.”

“I suppose,” she sighed. Her ears perked up once more as her thoughts had one due to another place. “What are you doing here by the way?”

“Oh,” Luna paused. “ I came to check up on a friend of mine; to make sure she was alright.”

“Really?” Cozy tilted her head as our thoughts processed the princess’s words. “Weren't you in Sandbar's room yesterday though?”

“Oh, I mean... I was yes.” Luna’s thoughts race to come up with another lame story as she wasn't prepared to be confronted. “I was also trying to get a word on what had happened.”

“And you didn't ask one of us?”

Luna paused once more as she searched her thoughts for a response. “I didn't want to bother any of you yesterday. I figured you'd had all been through enough for the night.”

“That makes sense,” Cozy chuckled. “I appreciate your concern for him.”

"Of course..." Luna leaned in closer to Cozy. "Do you know what happened?"

Cozy stared at the ground as her mind process went into overdrive. She didn't quite see how the pieces fit together. Luna seemed too nervous and somehow seems like she was hiding something about the incident. She thought back to the sight she had seen in the hospital with Luna and the orange cat. She remembered the words they said and the concern they showed for Sandbar. They seem too worried about his injury for it to be so simple, Luna was worried about something, something that she clearly didn't want to share with anypony.

"Have you ever heard of the story of Savannah?"


She tried gathering all of her friends at the library during lunch when they all could talk. Cozy Glow couldn't get what she heard Luna and her friend said out of her head. None of it made sense to her. She was hoping that the others would understand or maybe even know what the "Fallens" was.

Much to Cozy's dismay, Silver Stream nor Gallus showed up. She figured that Gallus was still mad at Smolder and Silver Stream was still shaken up about what happened to Sandbar.

"I'm telling you, girls, something is weird is going on."

"I don't know Cozy. Are you sure you're not overthinking it?" Ocellus asked. "We were all there and none of us saw anything strange."

Smolder was barely paying attention as she was deep in thought. "What happened was just an accident. Just a dumb accident."

"I want to believe that," Cozy cried out. "But after hearing what Princess Luna said, I can't."

"Pony spied on the princess?" Yona's voice was shaky. "Yak don't think that was a good idea."

"Yeah. Didn't take you as one to be nosy," Smolder added.

"I wasn't being nosy. I was simply trying to be informed by speculating a conversation from people without their awareness nor consent." Cozy puffed put her chest out in her defense.

"So in other words, you were being nosy?" Smolder repeated herself.

"Or stalker," Yona nodded.

"No!.. I mean only when they went into Sandbar's room."

Smolder and Yona gave each unsure glances.

"What were they doing in his room?" Ocellus asked.

Cozy shrugged. "I don't know. But her friend mentioned something called the 'Fallen'."

The others thought to themselves as if trying to figure out what Cozy was talking about.

"Yona's confused. What was princess doing in Sandbar's room?"

"Exactly!" Cozy pointed toward Yona. "Why? It doesn't make sense."

"I'm sure she has her reason. The thing Cozy Glow is that its none of our business," Ocellus said.

"I know but if she does know something, we should have the right to know," Cozy pointed out to them.

"But we don't know what she is doing," Ocellus tried being more firm.

Smolder finally stopped looking at the ceiling and glanced at Cozy then to Ocellus. "Then why don't we find out for ourselves then."

"Smolder wants to spy on the princess?!!" Yona's eyes widened with fright. Smolder only shrugged uncaringly.

"No. Not going to happen." Ocellus jumped in on them. "Haven't we caused enough trouble already?! Let's just let it go and move on."

Smolder laughed a little. "You scared?"

"No. I just don't want to get in more trouble. Had we listen, we wouldn't be in this mess and Sandbar wouldn't be in the hospital." Her voice dropped low and she put her head down. Ocellus looked up at her friends for a moment before turning her head to the side.

"None of you have to help me..." Cozy got off of her seat, went by Ocellus, and then put a hoof around Ocellus. "I wouldn't want any of you to get into trouble and be mad at each other because of me."

"Don't worry. Pony only looking out for her friends," Yona smiled at Cozy.

"Well, I care about you all," Cozy said proudly.

"Was her friend was a cat wearing a red coat, right?" Ocellus suddenly asked.

"Yeah," Cozy answered only to realize she never told any of them what Luna's friend looked like."Wait how did you know that?"

"Look behind you."

Smolder and Cozy turned around and there standing in the hallway right in front of the library, was no other than Princess Luna and the cat Cozy told them about. But it wasn't just them. Spike was there with them. They couldn't make out what they were saying but whatever it was, it looked important from where they were sitting. They stood there for a moment before walking away. Cozy stepped away from the table and made her way out of the library.

"Cozy Glow what are you doing?!" Ocellus called from behind her but Cozy Glow didn't stop nor took the time to answer.

Cozy tried to keep up with them without being seen. She turned the corner and saw them standing in front of the door. only this time the Lord of Chaos himself was there. Cozy recognized as the door to Twilight's office but had a strange feeling they weren't there to speak to her. Once again they stood there and spoke to each other. Cozy wanted to get closer to hear them but worried that they would see her. The cat and Spike soon walked off as Discord walked into the room.

Cozy Glow remembered them bringing up Spike but to also see Discord involved. Now she knew something was going on and she was going to be the one to find out what it was.

"So in an hour then?" Spike called out to them.

"In an hour," Luna confirmed. She looked around her as if to make sure nopony was watching them then followed Discord into the room.

Cozy Glow knew this was her chance. She slowly trotted right next to the door and pressed her ear against it, hoping to hear them. Though she couldn't hear everything, she was able to pick up a few key details here and there.

“Well, I guess it's just you and me now,” The Echoes of a Charming devious voice brought a smile to the princess’s face.

“Looks like it, Dizzy,” Luna chuckled. “ You're late.”

“Rule number one, I am never late,” Discord corrected as he dropped down from the ceiling. “You are just early.”

“Whatever. Keep telling yourself that,” Luna sighed as she shook her head. “Why did you want to meet here anyway?”

“I was in the neighborhood and I had something to do that was close by so it worked out in my favor.”

“Sure. Whatever you say, dizzy.”

“What? You think I'm lying?”

“Nope,” She blurted. “I just don't really care.”

“Fair enough,” he replied. “Anyways, shall we continue?”

"Well, we only got an hour so let's get to it."

Cozy Glow leaned in closer to the door unaware of the two figures coming towards her from behind. They watched cozy Glow as she listened in on Luna and Discord. They gave each other weird confused looks before joining her and pressing their own ears on the wall, not actually sure what they went meant to be hearing.

"So what are we listening to?" Smolder then asked.

Cozy jumped back and screamed causing Smolder to flinch and fall on the floor. Yona stepped away to avoid being bumped into.

"Calm down, geez. It's just us," Smolder said, annoyed.

"Oh, Golly. You scared me!"

Before any more could be said, Yona had grabbed the two of them and quickly ran away from the door and around the corner. Cozy heard the sound of a door opening and a pair of hooves storming out. She knew that it was most likely Princess Luna. She was glad Yona got the hint that they shouldn't be seen by Luna. They all stood quietly hoping that the princess wouldn't check the corner.

"I never know what I see is real or not..."

Luckily for the students, the door closed a moment later. They were safe for now.

"What are you doing here?!" Cozy snapped at the dragon.

"What? You run off and you think we're not going to follow?" Smolder countered back. Cozy noticed that Ocellus wasn't with them.

"Ocellus-"

"Yeah. She walked off shortly after you did," Smolder finished.

"Ocellus afraid of getting into more trouble," Yona added in.

"Well, you didn't need to scare me." Cozy's voice cracked a little.

"I didn't think you would react like that," Smolder defended herself as she flew above the pegasus pony. "So tell us. What did you hear?"


"Wait, so you were spying on me?!

Cozy shrugged guiltily. "I wouldn't say spying more like listening in on your conversation that you weren't aware that I listening to..."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled a bit. "Okay, sure. We'll stick with that. Just please continue. What happened next?"

"You kinda know that. We heard you and Discord saying you were going to go to the house and the door we first stuck out of, the lock was still tape. We knew we could sneak out without nopony knowing." Cozy paused and waved a hoof in a sorta motion.

"Or at least we hoped."


The trio ran to the side of the house. Smolder and Cozy flew up to the window and quick glances inside in hopes not to be seen. Yona was tall enough to climb up to the window and look through the window that way. Roaming around the living room was, sure enough, the Lord of Choas and the Princess of the night.

It felt strange to Cozy Glow. Just a few nights ago they were there, having fun with no care in the world. Now the place left a sour taste in her mouth.

"Yona won't go inside the spooky house."

"Good thing we don't need to go inside," Smolder reassure her yak friend.

The claws of a lion slowly pushed on the old rotting door causing it to sway and its rusted hinges. Its rejection could be heard and the loud creak of the resistance it was backed by. The house was silent as it showed no opposition to their presence. Discord walked by its creepy old decor.

“I'm not seeing or feeling anything,” Discord reassured the princess.

“Neither am I,” Luna confirmed back. “Just keep looking.”

"What are we looking for?"

"Anything that stands out. Maybe something about this Savannah girl," Luna calmly said.

She trotted out of the student's view as she headed up the stairs. Discord followed suit as he walks up the old rotting stairs. He trod carefully as each stair-step felt like it could collapse under the weight of a feather and they showed the rejection to any pressure as the wood creek to bend beneath them.

"Maybe if we're lucky we'll see her. Hope she's hot," Discord chuckled with a big grin.

"Grow up, Discord!" Luna's disapproving voice could be heard from the upstairs.

Outside the window, Smolder looked over to Cozy with her own disproval.

"You shouldn't have told them about her."

"Savannah isn't real, remember?" Cozy said with a bit of sass in her voice.

Smolder only shook her head and looked back inside the house. They saw Discord coming back down the stairs and roam around the house. He came in and out of the living room a few times. Nothing more was said between the two. It went on this for a while. Cozy flew to some of the other old broken windows and tiny holes to get a better look at what Discord was doing.

The house to him was another horse sight of mold and followed by old memories and voices that whispered through the wind. He made his way to one of the doors that line the hallway and was quick to open it. Inside revealed a bathroom with a shower toilet and a mirror above the sink.

"Almost as good as upstairs," he spoke to himself as admire the two-bathroom multi-bedroom house for what it was.

Cozy wasn't surprised. She also knew that the house in its prime day was surly once a luxury sight to be seen, but now it laid waste and ruined; waiting for time to finish its meal. He walked up to the old mirror and wiped it clean with his paw. He smiled as their function revealed a rather dashing devilish individual.

Cozy smirked as Discord took the time to admire himself. At least he was enjoying himself.

He then looked down to the sink which was full of rusted metal and glass chippings. He ran his claw along the side of the sink and held it up to his face. The brown felling coded the tip of his claw and revealed its age.

Suddenly, as he was investigating, a loud crash echoed throughout the house grabbing all of their attentions. Yona gasped as she looked over to Smolder who also was more than concerned.

"Aaaahhhhhh!!!"

"LUNA!" Cozy and Discord cried out.

"Cozy, no!" Smolder whispered.

Smolder and Yona worried that their presence was now known and started running away from the house. Cozy then realized her mistake and covered her mouth but it was too late. Discord turned to see the flash of a pink pony with curly blue hair. They only stood and stared at each other unsure what to do. Cozy saw her friend already a bit away from the house running, and quickly joined them. Discord ran over to the window to see the pony disappear into the bushes.

Cozy Glow ran as fast as her little legs could carry her. She tried catching up with her friends but wasn't able to find them. Not that she was too worried about that. She was the one who led them all to the house so she knew how to get back to the school. She was more afraid of dealing with the Lord of Choas, knowing all of what he could do with his power.

It took some time but she found her way back to Ponyvillie. She saw the school and sigh in relief. She entered through the same door they left and trotted over to her room.

It's okay. Everything is fine. Nopony knows you left. You're fine.

She got to her bedroom door and trotted inside where she was met by a blue alicorn standing in front of her bed.

Author's Note:

Took some time but I got it done. In other words, Cozy Glow is now fucked. Let's see what Luna does now.

Till Next Time!!!!:pinkiehappy: