• Published 20th Oct 2020
  • 208 Views, 4 Comments

To the stars and beyond - punkrose



A constellation that manifests randomly,a scientist who believes in alicorns,a beast straight out of a fantasy book...the life of Fluttershy takes an unexpected turn the night she's visited by a princess in her dreams,entering a legend.

  • ...
 4
 208

~Chapter 4~Lost in the Library

Comfortably resting on vermillion cushions scattered on the floor,Fluttershy held tight her cup against her muzzle as she sipped lavender tea from the edge of her lip.The sky pictured behing the glass window dripped into a mild shave of mauve.

She let a contented sigh escape her lips as the tip of her feathers brushed against the floor,taking in sight the peacefull moment of rest before her.

Amidst and around,books were surrounding her.Helping themselves by fluttering their pages,they circulated at their own control above the ground,between innards of bookshelves.That didn't bother her.In fact,it was most natural.

As all libraries rules required,silence reigned in the room.Explaining why a suprised squee erupted from the pegasus as a book came suddenly crashing on her table,defiying gravity in a loud tud.Droplets of tea flooded the wooden surface.

"Oh my...,"she murmured in wary,"is it time already?"

Her break reached a most painful end.

She got up reluctantly,taking the object in careful hoofs and fluttered her wings to reach its respective bookshelf,levitated higher.Her track got interrupted by the flight of another pony,visibly holding a wider book pile in their grasp.Giving away the explanation behind blind eyes towards her presence.

The inevitable happened.And they bumped into each other.All the books succumbed to gravity and slipped on the paved floor in slow motion.Perfect,well-preserved editions.

"Oh dear,these are limited editions.They shouldn't be here..."she bend down,at a last saving attempt.

"I'm really sorry...I didn't mean to...,"at least her interlocutor held the same distraught in her tone,"wait,I'll help."

No!You don't have to help,it's all taken care off!

Too late.Before Fluttershy could even voice her warning their foreheads bumped together,painfully enough to forget her embarrassement.She only tried to get up while the other bent down in return.What a mess.

They backed off,holding a hoof to their temple as to regain composure.Leaving the pegasus's interlocutor wincing from the abrupt hit.Way to go,Fluttershy...

Upon reaching a single book titled "the Element of Magic",their hoofs came in contact.Finally promping each to raise their stare in unisson as to identify the pony before them.Fluttershy drowned at the sight of deep violet eyes under starry strands.She quickly retired her hoof from the other's mare before giggling nervously,using it to play with strikes of her rose locks:

"Oh my,it seems we were reaching for the same book.I think I'll let you have it..."she temptively ignored the mare's amused smile,her head tilted to the side.

"Don't worry,I've got it."

Right after that,a magenta aura covered the books as it drew them away from the ground.The eyes in awe of a certain pegasus following them by bits.She really had it under control.

The lavender unicorn organized each volume by memory in their previous order,piling the stacks in their respective sections of the shelves:

"And here you go!"she levitated over Fluttershy's only piece in her awaiting hoof.

"Thank you so much,"she examined the cover wrapped in her wing,silently considering thanking her.But it seemed other matter took over the client.

Raising her head as high as it could go,she examined the surroundings of the reception,as if looking for something,or someone.Now was the perfect time.

"Are you looking for a book?"Fluttershy cut trough the silence,coyly,"Maybe...maybe I could help with that?"

Drat!The second line wasn't supposed to be a question.

"It's fine,I'll manage but thank you in advance,"she replied,kindness painting her words,before squinting her eyes at the pegasus' badge pined on her scarf,"Flu-t-ershy?"

The yellow pegasus couldn't help a giggle at her mispronouced name.Well,she could correct her but the entire ordeal was too fun not to partake in:

"Yes,that's me.I work here as...as you can see,"she patted her scarf in instinct,a way to chanel her nervous conduct.It was her first day.

"My pleasure to meet you...,"the nameless unicorn bowed with her head,"and actually,I've noticed a section dedicaded to the Elements.I would love to see what you have on the subject,"she reconsidered,surely out of pity for the clumsy librarian,not in any way interested in her...

She meant,in her help.Yes.

"Oh,"Fluttershy lit up for the first time that day,"yes,indeed.If you don't mind following me,of course."the unicorn nodded and trailed behind the pegasus after the sky,reaching the higher bookshelves.The pegasus pointed to a peculiarly colorful section:

"We have the Element of Magic...,"the unicorn studied the volume in carefull magic features,"...the Element of fire,of minerals and air...it's a new collection,straight from Trottigham,"Fluttershy informed,happily sharing bits of pridefull work.

"From Trottigham?"her interest shifted.Quick to forget the collection.

"Yes,the city in the borders of Equestria,"she laughed,it was obvious.The client joined in,masking her lack of information behind hard truths.

"The borders of Equestria...Trottigham...,"the client impregnated their sense into her mind,"Trottigham...Ah!I've got it."

"Really?"

"Yes."

They laughed.It was exhilarating to think about how much sense it made.

"And what library are we in?I am somewhat lost,"the unicorn asked,normality ensuing.

"The Ponyville District Library of course,"Fluttershy answered,the plaque said so.She didn't mean to make her client feel bad for her lost position,but this time...

This time,she smiled.A real,genuine smile.And not one out of polite convenance,but one that enhenced her traits,sparkles brightening in her eyes and mane.As if stars could smile...well,of course they don't.Catch up,Fluttershy.

"They didn't change the name,"her smile only grew further.

"Uh...,"Fluttershy was certain of not having heard her,or certain she zoned out.

"Oh,I said that the name remained the same since...since its construction,"she developped in sincere resolution.Her tone flowing in unlived nostalgia,as if she've never been lost at all.

"Right,since one thousand,six hundred forty-three."

"Forty-four,"the client corrected,it was stronger than her.

Well,that was embarrassing.And she was supposed to be the one working here,first day or not.Then again,this unicorn was strangely instructed for refering to her position as lost beyond measure.

"Remind me of your city of origi-..."she falterred in her sentence.

One single thought corrupted her mind.She was flying,the unicorn was flying.Wings deployed,high and mighty,near the bookshelves and near Fluttershy,paler than before.She froze in place,clutching the book tighter to her chest.Her eyes purposely avoided the alicorn's,hit with the choice between bowing before her or taking her flight.

Silence pursued.

"So...um...do you come here often?"

That'll do it!A classic in the realm of escapism from awkward silence.The alicorn let no emotion betray her expression as she shook her head sorrily.Replying in the most natural tone,it all seemed certain:

"No,this is a dream."

"Oh...,"she understood,washing the books with a longing stare as a smile stretched on her lips,"having the complete collection sure holds a sense of sureality,I guess."

"What?Uh...I mean,that too...,"the princess complied in her strange wonders,"but,I'll have to get going now,it's getting late for me."

The rest of her sentence turned into nothing less then mush in the yellow pegasus' mind.Besides the fairy tale princess preparing herself to escape,the books flying around them at their own control and this odd,odd conversation...something felt wrong.

Whenever,in the history of mistakes,did she take a job as a librarian?

A short breath escaped her throat as she rose her eyes to a crackle in the sky behind the glass.A rift,and yes one from fantasy books,swirled dangerously and bathed the library in bright sickening light.The threat of getting caught in sprouted.

"Oh no..."

"Oh yes,"her Highness seemed satisfied by the process,staring intensly at the rift.

Her wings took her inside,collapsing under the light and disapearing from view.That was before she just remembered she was talking to someone.Quick to forget anything,really.

"I am gratefull for your help,Fluttershy,"this time,she pronouced her name correctly,"and sorry for waking you up."

More objects were being drawn into the core of the rift,rapidly,dangerously,and Fluttershy too by the process.The princesse's statement confirmed itself to be true.The last thing she could recall was lucidity washing over her.

Author's Note:

This is it!The chapter where Cottagecore and Dark Academia finally meet.I'm going to try to post the rest of the story today.