• Published 20th Oct 2020
  • 208 Views, 4 Comments

To the stars and beyond - punkrose



A constellation that manifests randomly,a scientist who believes in alicorns,a beast straight out of a fantasy book...the life of Fluttershy takes an unexpected turn the night she's visited by a princess in her dreams,entering a legend.

  • ...
 4
 208

~Chapter 11~Hiding in the Garden,a Monster in Sight

Buckball was a relatively simple game.Each of the three parties played an important role in their team separately by unicorn,pegasus and earth pony.

Still,even then the yellow pegasus could only grasp general rules when Rainbow complained about the opposite team 'cheats',claiming 'they played even when we reached the countdown!' or even 'the basket was crossing the line and they still counted the point!'

She only did her best at smiling sympathetically or for some rare occasions ironically joining in on her infuriation.This time, however,she was the one complaining:

"Um...oh,sorry everypony but I think you let the ball go sideways and...,"she tried to explain,holding most naturally the object that have litterally flew across the field,"it almost landed on my head so I tought I'd let you know..."

The ball was flotted gently away from her skillful grip in a purple aura,back to its respective team:

"Sorry Fluttershy,"apologized Snails ,so calm,"don't worry,it happens all the time."

"Good..."she rested back against the wooden bench,carrying with her the peace of a regular Saturady aftern-...

"Hey!That goes to our team!"Rainbow snapped,appearing out of nowhere next to the pegasus and nearly frightening her to death,"It's the players that are supposed to play not the spectators!"

"Rainbow Dash!"the opposite team's leader growled as the cyan pegasus flew dirt on her indigo uniform.Her abrupt land rose of those clouds,"We weren't even playin' yet.Snails was only practicin' and here you..."

"Relax AJ,"the imprudent interrupted,flying backwards to mock her poor excuse,"the rules are the rules,so chill...and maybe we'll get along next time."

Her best 'winning' grin pinned up in reverse,the mockery pursuing.The mare's freckled face frowned,boiling from her tone driping in false pleasantries.

The yellow pegasus have witnessed all the ups and downs between the two leaders since the beginining of their championship.The tension-induced interactions were just a dime a dozen....still,she couldn't fanthom the treatment she could receive from playing against the athletic peagasus.If she played Buckball that is...

"Rainbow?Can you come here a second?"Fluttershy called out.

The designed joined her,a tad annoyed at being cut trough her chatter.

"What is it?"Her question would be out of the blue.

"I just remembered...,"she urged her to come closer,annoyence grew,"I remembered...you know...something from the Apple family that you told me..."

"Spill it."

"Okay!Um...wasn't it the Apple family's 'guest' that was attacked in the Everfree forest?By a mysterious creature?"she mentioned near the orange-coated mare.

"Uh yeah?"Rainbow replied,recalling the earlier conversation she had with Applejack in their strange whereabouts as rivals,"Ask her for yourself if you want..."

As on cue,the earth pony approched.Having heard her name slip from the conversation.

"Talkin' 'bout me?"

"Oh,hi Applejack."Fluttershy greeted,"And actually I was concerned about something related to you..."

The latter stood patiently and waited....and...she knew it was absurd.She meant,how high were the chances?How much could Princess Twilight be right before she could even stop calling her a product of dreams?

The yellow pegasus shook away her warry."Did your guest give a description of her attack in the Everfree?"

"Well,what can I tell ya?"Applajack rubbed the back of her head,"She was pretty quiet,and only stayed for a night...the only mention of a monster in the Everfree was that it was as huge as a hill..."The farmer snorted at the memory,the image bearing a shameless distraction:

"I mean,if it was that big everypony would be talkin' abou' it!"

"Yeah,right?"Rainbow chuckled,joining in alongside her amusement.

Only the yellow pegasus remained quiet,frowning at the new piece of information;tuning out the background noise.It seemed like the only real witness of the Mossbeast have left her sight.And to add to it,many animals from the Everfree were brought inexplicably injured at her clinic,all kinds of species.And when she meant all kinds,even a Timberwolf didn't escape the harsh treatement.

"And were is she now?"Her question caught Applejack off guard:

"Uh...she kept mentionin' the Everfree Castle,somthin' about meetin' a friend here..."

The Everfree Castle?With all the ongoing rumors about a supposed 'haunting' there,its walls have never been so full.The tourists eager to catch sight of a ghost on their cameras.If Fluttershy couldn't even bear to go out at Nightmare Night then this old construction was haunted by the spirit of Nightmare Night itself!

"No thanks!"she got up abrubtly,startling the two players,before rapidly tightening her saddlebag against her,readying herself to leave...

"Where are you going?"Rainbow asked.

"To Zecora's shop,"she spun her head,middway trough the little path,"I just need to take care f something and if I don't come back earlier,look out for me to Zecora."

"Okay?Honestly,I don't even know what you'll be doing in here..."Rainbow hummed,her eyes narrowed in rightfull suspicion.

"Pffft,absolutly nothing!"masking her panic rising,she pointed urgently behind the cyan pegasus,"Hey look,Applejack is taking the ball!"

"What?where?!"

And with that,she was gone.


Wisps of smoke rose highly.Reaching the ceiling,envoloping the entire room in a greenlit aura and emaning from the black coldron.A strange sense of comfort was pulled out of the yellow pegasus' chest,between the ambience scarly out of a witch's lair.

"Is it ready?"the preparation boiling inside reflected her concerned frown.

"Not yet,"the herbalist responded,her reflection staring back at the worrysome pegasus',"for now,it needs to rest."

Their respective reflections were troubled at the ladle Zecora used to stir the potion.Its properties were aimed against a certain blue flower.The movement poured out the steam and plunged the room and its three people under the protection field.

The third partie,Dr.Fauna,distracted herself with the study of the many potions,elixirs and herbs bottled up on the shelfs.She rose her nose from her tea cup.The green smoke drowning out the shop was enough of a distraction.

"Are we ready to go?"she asked her coworker,sitted on the cushions layed on the floor.

"Not now Mane,"Fluttershy delayed,"I still need to grab the Poison Joke and we'll be off the hook..."

The zebra caught her precipitation.It was odd among her act of casual routine.

"Pardon my interest,"she began,"but what would you use the Poison Joke for at best?"

A secretive look was shared among the two veterinarians.Countless researchs consumed them for the previous days.Fluttershy assured her colleague that she was in possesion of the coveted anwswer,they would find the mysterious harms of the forest.

She didn't believe her until they found a description of a beast made of moss.And Fluttershy couldn't believe herself.In appearence,the Mossbeast existed alongside the alicorns' reign.Therefore considered a myth as much.The humblest details met her standards.

"We'll just use it for a creature at the clinic,"Mane explained as her colleague unwinded,"some kind of strange nutrition habits..."

"Very well,"Zecora relented,"be carefull as to escape the dangers of this plant,and if anything happens I'll have more potion beforehand."

She gave the jar containing the Poison Joke crumpled inside.To the enthusiasm of Fluttershy,as she grabed it in carefull hoofs.

"What would we do with it?"Mane murmured at the intension of the yellow pegasus,having approched her,"I mean,if this myth's book is right...I'm not even sure we will find a beast of that description."

"If the book is right?"Fluttershy echoed in confusion.For her,the information came in the form of dreams and even then finding a piece of it in reality was admittedly troubling.

The last of her worries confirmed themselves when the walls of the hut began to tremble.In evidence,everything trembled,before the mighty earthquakes spreading.The clinking glass of the jars echoed around them:

"There it is,"a smile spread on Fluttershy's lips.

She walked towards the door,cluntching the jar under her wing.Dr.Fauna trotting behind her confident steps in alarm.

"What does that mean?"she crossed the entrance,panic plaguing her,quickly followed by an unpassible zebra.

Now all vulnerable under the penetrating gaze of the forest.The eyes of the yellow pegasus seemed lost beyond the dark trees towering above.Even when her two companions tried to reach the origin of her stare,they were only met by the clinging depth of the woods.The wicked haze circling their very presence.

Until they saw them.

It had no distinguable shape at first,only two beacons of light piercing trough the blue.In ill appearence,aimed towards them. Then they could fanthom a shape,spotted horns and finally,a beast the size of a hill.

As clear as its vague form,flotting above their comprehension.

"F-Fluttershy..."Mane called out at the captivated mare,taking a step back.

"Did you mean to say,"Zecora took a matching step backwards,"that this creature followed you from the clinic all the way?"

"Don't move,"Fluttershy cut in firmly.They complied with no resort.

The stance of the Mossbeast quickly shifted,going to a lowered head and stiff legs.Emaning a low growl gargling from its throat.It indicated a threatening behavior in the shape of its language.

This didn't dismentle Fluttershy.She flew high to reach its eye level,to the distress of her two companions,and dropped the now empty jar to the ground.Its expression softened.Considerably,at the sight of the blue flower in the pegasus' flimsy hold.

The potion's effects were proved effective,at least when she asked in her usual,gentle voice:

"Looking for this?"


"Okay,ready,set...go!"What immediatly responded to Rainbow's starting was the ball shaking until it rolled at the other side of the field.

The sceptic gaze of the teamplayers following her independant movement.Snails even checking if his magic might've been of any trigger.

"Wait...do you have telekinetic powers?"she narrowed her eyes at Applejack,a flat look in return,"Flashnews,that's cheating!"her face was shoved against the mare's.Before she could find her hoof and separated them.
Personnal space was lost.

"Dash!"she drew a tired sigh,"Look!It's actually comin' from here..."Applejack gestured to the Everfree forest.

In instance,a swarm of birds escaped the wooden cage in a flurry.Covering the sky in their desesperate pleas.

"Uh,what could be going on in here?"Rainbow wandered,mid-levitating in place,inaffected by the slight earth-quake reaching them.

"Do you think it could be Fluttershy?"The farmer rubbed her chin,recalling the strange behavior troubling the pegasus.She reconized lying when she witnessed it.

"What?!"Rainbow snorted,trying to hide who much sense it made"Why,of all things,would it be Fluttershy?"

"Oh,I don't know!"Applejack's eyes widened,feining suprise,"Maybe 'cause she works with all kinds of monsters like Manticors,Timberwolves and all that stuff..."

Rainbow turned slowly towards the direction of the forest.Her expression twisted into one of warry,as she whimpered for herself mostly:"Oh,Fluttershy I hope you know what you're doing..."


"I know what I'm doing!"she assured to the dot appearing below,interpreted as a worried zebra,"Just stay far enough so you won't get stepped on..."

"And what makes you think,"Zecora recoiled at the enormous claw swinging her way,its owner captivated by the flower Fluttershy carried,"that this thing won't let its docile behavior sink?"

Mane agreed with her statement with an audible gulp,trailing far behind.

The yellow pegasus tried to catch a glimpse of the two,without deviating the attention of the Mossbeast from her track.Flying backwards wasn't the easiest of things,no matter how much Rainbow displayed it as such,it wasn't moreso while adding a giant beast following your every movement.

"Trust me,"she smiled as she waved the flower for the beast to keep up with her pace,"I just need to get it to the greenhouse and it won't hurt us at all,"she turned to the Mossbeast,"riiight?"

The giant made a slow head movement ressembling a nod,confusing the pegasus' companions from its compliance.But it wasn't what was missing.

"Wait,can we name it?"Fluttershy's eagerness was met with a disaproving shake of the head from her colleague:

"You know what happens when you do so,Fluttershy,"she hopped before the beast,catching her full attention,"I suggest we don't,otherwise you'll get attached."

the pegasus' brow knit together as she didn't even throw a look her way:"And where's the problem?"

Zecora let a small chuckle escape her,much more at ease at following besides a forest giant due to her many strange encounters in her homeplace:

"I suggest we let Fluttershy do for what she is fit,"the zebra approved to a most gratefull pegasus,"and hopefully we'll get this over with!"

"I couldn't agree more with you,"Dr.Fauna scoffed as she almost tripped on yet another branch,those crashing down at an impossible rate,"with all those scratches I'm getting,I'm actually suprised this creature haven't killed anyone with its environment endangers!"

A yelp escaped her when a branch heavily fell particularly close to her spot.Earning another disinterested growl from the Mossbeast in regards of its deeds.Its only focus was set on the Poison Joke,carried by the single hoof of a yellow pegasus as the other was busy clunching the warry face of its owner.

Each of its steps shook the ground beneath them and prompted a certain doctor into echoing a particular choice of words,their position unable to reach a more infortunate degree:

"I would gladly guide you to the greenhouse if I could do so,"Zecora began,at the edge of slipping from their high path,"but it looks like we have a long way to go."

"It's okay,I'll manage..."had Fluttershy let those words slip away that the friendly sparrow perched on her shoulder,chirping out directions,flew by fits and starts at the next earth-quake.

Another branch crashed,dust reared at their hoofs,the trees brushed off by the beast's ankles.The ground trembled,inducing swarms of birds into escape,sending distressed chirps echoing trough the forest:

"Jefferson,no!"Fluttershy scolded,her hoof rose to her loose strands of mane,panic arising,"You can't be doing this,you're destroying the birds' nests!"

The shimmering eyes of the beast locked onto hers,shrinking in place and drawing out a pitious whine.

They finally made it to the greenhouse,as best as they could,before Fluttershy felt she would earn crumps from her continious flying.

The Poison Joke flotted gently to the ground,dropped by a tired flyer,as the Mossbeast followed it by sight,lost in its distraction.

Fluttershy nearly fell,in place of landing awkwardly on the grass.Her begging eyes locked onto the zebra's,the latters widening,until she understood the inaudible pretext.

Zebra threw her the keys,with no sense of warning to the clumsy grasp of Fluttershy.Before she rapidly,and clumsily,pushed them in as to open the door under the curious head tilt of the Mossbeast.

"I admit that the opening is quite a trick,"Zecora emphatized,"but must you be so quick?"

"Ah!"she nailed it,proudly stepping back to let the beast witness the artificial garden,"Serve yourself,Jefferson...and carefully if you can?"

The beast followed at best her demand,gently passing its claws trough the glass entrance and extracting a bouquet of Poison Joke from the garden,to its growing satisfaction.It guided the bouquet on its head to gently plant the flowers.Its eyes not leaving Fluttershy's as more popped bloomily on its forehead:

"Seriously?"she arced an eyebrow.

The Mossbeast could only shrugg in return.A helpless expression painted on its eyes.

"Well,I'm flummoxed,"Dr.Fauna exclaimed,"when everypony will learn that a mythical creature came to life...and we'll be the firsts to make the discovery!"

"I would've never imagined in a possible future,"Zecora playfully added,"such pleasent manners from a forest creature."With a gratefull bow of its head did the beast bestow them upon,its gallantry not having faded away with time.To their unbelivable eyes as they let out a blended laughter in unisson.

"It's you we should be thanking,Jefferson...,"Fluttershy gracefully imitated its movement,catching its pleasant surprise.

What a fascinating creature!Maybe she ought to study its adaptation to a narrow environment,a myth coming to life wasn't a light matter.This discovery wouldn't be unwelcome to the arms of naturalists but an essay was of sight beforewards.Wait...this sounded more like something Princess Twilight would say...

Did she happen to influence her beyond dream?

Fluttershy realised that none of this would've been possible without her intervention,seeing her two friends entertaining themselves practically,planting a swarm of flowers on the beast's lowered head,to its tranquil posture.

A most deserved thanks was of sight for her dream guardian,she mentally checked the case.And even before that,she needed to get back to the Buckball match training.

How could she have forgotten?She surely didn't come back earlier and Zecora was out of her shop.She owned a most peculiar explanation to Rainbow...

"Almost forgot,"-her two friends turned her way at her concernfull tone-,"I have to get back to Rainbow,she was already suspicious about me leaving and I shouldn't let her worry lik-..."

Her sentence hit a mid-end when the Mossbeast lowered its back to Fluttershy,upon reaching her level.Her two friends sharing a doubtless look among them when she chose the odd way out,flying up to take a most comfortable spot on the giant's head.

"I'll be off now."she peeked at the two dots below,not the least dismantled,"Oh,unless you want to accompany me...wich is fine,I understand..."

Dr.Fauna exchanged an amused look with the zebra besides.The pegasus interpreted the giggle they shared,before the doctor even shouted her response:

"I think we're fine,we'll catch up later,"Dr.Fauna turned to Zecora,"And I just remembered something in the shop anyways."

"Don't go too far from this blip,"Zecora warned,"for now,enjoy your trip."

The Mossbeast made a slow double turn,heading for a clear path as its mighty frame subsided into a modest spot in the distance.They made out their commun friend's soft voice reaching their ears in a rattled tone:"Lower your head,lower head!"her voice echoed at a branch nearly grazing her,"Be carefull I'm still brushing off many leaves!"

They shook their heads in feined disbelief at the growl the Mossbeast let out in response.Probably as a way of an apology.

After an admitedly more tranquil walk than the latter,crossing areas of the Everfree forest Fluttershy could've only witnessed perched on a familiar of these anciant woods,they reached a glade before the sun could embrace the horizon.

Fluttershy flew down,landing on the ground as the Mossbeast straightened its stance.She turned to her strange forest friend in a kind smile:

"I guess I 'll have to make the rest of the way myself."she supposed aloud.

The beast blinked slowly at her,nailed to the ground in a stiff position.

"Um...,"Fluttershy digged for proper goodbies,"have a nice day?"

Its eyes drowned into hers,researching her expectanly.Blinking its feeble eyes in a slow motion,the pegasus trying to discover what it was awating for.She traveled her sight on the boulders covered in moss,thorny vines,the honeyed sunrays drowning the landscape in ember:

"This is a...a really nice garden?"her last resort came awkwardly,rubbing the back of her head.

Now,it was the Mossbeast's turn to judge her,silently and passively.Tillting its head,jaded before her conceptions,in a way to emanate Really,that's all you could think of...

Fluttershy's frown faltered,a single firefly flew atop her muzzle,tickling her vision by its brightness and inducing her into lucidity;it wasn't a firefly.

She could reconize those miles away.Strangely enough,this was a yellow spark;clearing from a spot she hasn't come yet to consider.

More sparks were springing from the vines,wrapped between them in thight nods and turns.She approched the strange blaze bursting underground and trough the vegetation,drawn in an entranced state.

The beast stood loyal to her side.

Fluttershy pushed the vines away and dug slitghly trough the dirt.Rarity would have a stroke if she saw her that way.But all that mattered now was the dirtied stone she found.In appearence,emanating a soft glow,as well as those sparks from earlier.

And when she established contact with a reaching hoof,it glowed brighter,fiercer.

The explanation she owed just reached impossible dimensions.

Author's Note:

Please,point out typos and others...I find many of them,that would be really helpfull.Thank you!