• Published 20th Oct 2020
  • 208 Views, 4 Comments

To the stars and beyond - punkrose



A constellation that manifests randomly,a scientist who believes in alicorns,a beast straight out of a fantasy book...the life of Fluttershy takes an unexpected turn the night she's visited by a princess in her dreams,entering a legend.

  • ...
 4
 208

~Interlude I~La Lune

The Ponyville Times

"Another astronomic mystery"

The night of the apparition of the Alicorn constellation in Sebtember 2nd,was tied to a parallel astronomical event:a meteorite has entered the atmosphere of our planet Scynthia.Leaving no time for the team of astronoms to detect its presence.When hitting the ground,no damages were caused.However,the lack of information prompted the team to calculate its coordinations and investiguate its place of landing.Found near the Everfree forest,the most outsanding facts remains:no traces of the meteorite were found near the area.The only clue left of the meteorite was an impact crater of nearly a mile wide and 300 feet.Based on the size and velocity the object must have reached to leave such impact,the collateral damages could possibly have been more dangerous towards its surroundings.The mysery remains,and the Ponyville Astronomy Observatory is determined to solve the issue rationally.

The piece of newspaper found itself crumpled roughly in a strong magical aura.To add to its unfair punishement,gathering dust as it was trown rashly on the ground.And finally stepped on with no sense of care:

"Fie!Rationally..."

Why did she think her entrance wouldn't be anything less than "an astronomic mystery" to the world of commun civilians?

But all was done,and she needed to find a place to spend the night.Wisps of space crushed under the hood of her grey cloak,tight against her face.For good measure.The dark trees welcomed her into the deep night,the only place she would feel at home again.

But home was history.And if she followed the map given to her by the grocer, the Castle of the Two Sisters wasn't so far,rewarded crulessly the title of the Everfree Castle.

Even then,she could reconize it miles away.

She carried on a good walk,mainly consisting of getting lost in between the all identical trees.The obscurity of the night didn't bother her the least,but her sense of orientation was of opposite conceit.The high grass and other thorny plants scratched her ankles,in paradox of her punishement.Does anypony take up gardening here?She came across a round of trees in the shape of deer antlers,framing lovingly a clear space.

Finally,a rest was of sight and much deserved as well.

But she couldn't teleport.

All magical essence have been drained and wasted in reason of her little travel.Space was a much charming place,the wonders of getting stuck here subsisting but only a mere fantasy.

And because all sight of luck left her,a low and dangerous growl rang her ears.

Timberwolfes.

It was the only available option,considering her position in the forest.She got up,every intention to fight useless.If she wanted to face one she'd get beaten.No wonder her permanent scar on the right wing already told more about her little ventures in the Everfree.She still regretted the self training in those mocking woods.No,she wasn't getting better Celly.

She felt her hoofs tremble,pulling her out of painful memories,a grumble escaping the earth beneath them and shaking the little space.And with no sense of reality,the gound began to elevate.It grew higher,higher and higher...until reaching the tip of the trees and staring down at her rigid posture with curious glowing eyes.

Its head slighly tilted to the side.Oh,hello you,It seemed to gratify.

She wasn't alone anymore.And it was worse.The Moon shone faithfully,bringing the creature under accusing light.Awaiting to strike at the perfect opportunity.

Mossbeasts were docile animals,despite their impossible size they were never of harm ways.Unless faced to certain circonstances.She didn't want to test her luck and simply stared back.Its deer ankles cut dangerously trough the crescent light,the stare match scretching on for a longer timing.

They stayed this way for a solid five minutes,until she have had enough and decided to take a step back.A twig cruelessly cruntched under her hoof.

The Mossbeast growled mercilessly and took a matching step onwards,reaching a larger lenght.She rolled on the ground.Her breath hitched in the moment.

Not having finished with her,it swipped a claw her way.Its movements low but carefull.Tearing off some trees from their roots.Come out,come out,the beats's blasted breaths froze the sky,forming a chant,loving and poisonous.

The trunks rolled on the ground.Rainsing clouds of dust,maiming the ground.Hiding from sight behind a large rune,her only safe place,she mediated.

She needed a plan,and fast.Flying was a possibility,despite the illusion spell covering her wings. Considering the size of the creature,she needed to at least cut trough the air at the speed of light.

Taking her chances,she deployed her bat wings.The beast distracted from her and far into a monstruous lullaby.She took off into the night sky.

A quick turn.

She only desired to witness the position of the beast,when a wooden claw shielded her view.Knocked gently like a ragdoll,she bumped against a nearby tree.Her back hit the trunk painfully.Stars danced at the corner of her eyes,welcoming her lastly.

Sliding against the wood, branches sctratched and maimed her back.She fell maimlessly to the ground.

And blacked out.


The rays of the sun gently filtered trough the curtains,bringing to the bedroom the clarity of dawn.Not many awoke at such early hour.Still resting under unfamiliar sheets,would be lying if she said that the brightness and chirping birds were the source of her awakeness.

No,what doze her off her slumber was rather...

"For land's sake!I ain't repeating m'self,the table will be clean of that wicked thing for once an-..."

"But Granny,you're puttin' up a scene for that harmeless thing!"a younger party cut idly the elder.

Silence.And the tension broke to reavel its source.

"Harmless?Say that to the Pears,they have been puttin' us under competition for centuries!"

"It's just pear jam!It's not like I dragged one of them here,and I didn't spend all my coins for nothin'!Let's at least give it to the guest..."

The nameless voices hummed trough the ground,reaching her from the floor below:

"Hush.You should have tought of this before throwing your money out the window.They will have apple jam for breakfast,straight and fresh from our fields!"

A third party agreed,the stallion's voice holding strong authority in his words:

"Yep!"

Just who...?

Just what kind of ponies argued about jam?

It was the nonsense that woke her up.Nonsense!She threw the sheets to the side,patting her chest until she retrieved the searched object.A crescent moon held her cloak,she sighed in relief. The creak of the stairs gave away her presence,as she reached her unfortunate saviors.

A small family of farmers.They looked normal.

All eyes set on her as they paused in their respective activities,creating for a peculiar scene like out of a Renaissance painting.She hoped she looked normal as well.

"Greetings everypony,"she beamed,too much,"doth thee befall to detain pear jameth 'mongst thy table?"

"I have no idea what you're talkin' about,"the elder mare leaned against a table,and it wasn't for her eneven way of speaking.Suspiciously,a covered jar with a napkin showed besides.

"Granny Smith,just give her the jam...,"a strong mare interrupted,"sorry for all that...,"the mare turned to her unexpected guest,"Granny!I'm Applejack by the way,"she presented herself,reporting her stare back at her.

Thankfully,the young filly came to grouds with her request and reached the napkin to reveal the demanded object.Ignoring the disaproving scowl the elder threw her.

"We thanketh thee,dram one,"she took off her hood,levitating the jar in a mystical aura.

"Call me Applebloom,"the filly said,her bow boucing with her every movement.

At least she had one ally.

"And this is my brother Big Macintosh,he doesn't talk much but he's the wisest,"Applejack lastly presented,a smile making its way to her lips,"welcome at Sweet Apple Acres."

"We art gratefull f'r thy hospitality as well,"she didn't know what a Sweet Apple Acres was,but complied in returning her smile,"but t is getting late,and we hast to receiveth going...."she marked those words,hiding the jar under her cloak as a way of provisions.

"There is only the Everfree forest stretchin' on for miles,"Applejack cut in,croosing her hoofs above the table,scars uncovered in her eyes,"where could you be headed?"

"With luck,we couldst reacheth the Everfree Castle bef're dusk,"she replied,nostalgia slipping from her tone,she didn't mean it,"we w're hoping to spendeth our journey th're."

The little family exchanged puzzled looks among them,close bonds tying them together.If her tongue's formulated words troubled them,they didn't show any sign.Instead,their weight intrigued them the most.Granny Smith voiced their unanimous confusion.

"The Everfree Castle is particularly full this season."

"Full?"she breathed inaudibly.She didn't understand.Full of what?

"With Nightmare season,the walls will only welcome tourists,as it has always been..."Applejack developped,a sense of daze.

As it has always been.

Why did she ask again?So much time wasted lazily her memories.Turning homes into history,into monuments.To be watched and remained.She sure hoped those tourists were having their load of time there.

"When Applejack brought you at the farm,"Granny Smith cut trough her line of toughts,"we found you with only superficial injuries,still we were worried.The Everfree forest is not a place to venture to at night time..."

"We und'rstand..."she dipped her head low towards the floor.The scolding jolted her back to her young years.At least,something familiar.

"But,"the elder mare softened,"ther' is always a room for you at Sweet Apple Acres if you'd like."

She raised her eyes.And swore she saw welcoming smiles.They seemed so vulnerable now,with their guards down.If history was for everyone,didn't they learn anything?

"Yeah,and you could have all the jam you want!"Applebloom agreed,carefull and careless.

She allowed herself a small giggle.Now,she was natural.As she bent low to reach her petite size,she offered with a smile,making sure woudn't reveal a pointed fang:

"Thee can calleth me Luna."

Author's Note:

Oh,an interlude!I had a lot of fun writing this,especially the shakespearean english.If you have trouble reading it then...sorry.
For those wandering,the title"La Lune" means "The Moon" in French.It was mostly inspired by a song:La Lune by Madeon ft. Dan Smith.Also I don't know how to write an article...
Enjoy the story!