• Published 29th Sep 2020
  • 366 Views, 14 Comments

MegaMare-X - Xujints the Water Horse



When an experiment goes arwy, Lyra finds herself lost in an twisted and ruined world. Donning experimental power armor, she fights to find her way home at any cost.

  • ...
0
 14
 366

Prologue: Experimental mishaps

There is never a dull day in Ponyville. Something is always going on in one form or another, and today was no different for a mint green Unicorn as she made their way to the outskirts of town. Her name was Lyra heartstrings and today she was meeting up with the town’s resident egghead, Twilight. On most occasions, when the scientist would ask for aid with some science experiment, most ponies would shy away from the task, but not Lyra. For her, bits are bits and she needs money. Her best friend’s birthday was coming up and she needed just a little more cash to get the best gift ever!

This was the thought she kept reminding herself of as she walked through a field of scattered parts and debris. Somewhere, Twilight had to be in this mess, right? Taking a leap of faith, she called out, “Twilight, are you alive in there?”

A little ways away, she heard a loud crash as Twilight shouted in reply, “Ow! I’m over here…”

Smirking, Lyra walked over to the purple mare as she used her magic to clear some debris off herself, “That looked like that hurt…”

The other mare waved a hoof lazily as she spoke, “I am fine, just a little surprised is all.”

Of course. Honestly, the whole situation seemed pretty funny to the both of them, prompting both of them to laugh before Twilight brought them right back to business, “I am so glad you could make it Lyra. You were even on time too!”

With a curt chuckle, Lyra stated, “Yeah, I was surprised too. Almost didn’t make it out of bed.”

Seems she didn’t get the joke, as Twilight just went over to a table and patted some strange backpack… saddle bag… thing, and said without a further laugh, “Right. Now that you are here, we can begin. Try this on!”

Rolling her eyes, Lyra stepped over some nearby scrap metal and stated rather bluntly in kind, “Just don't forget to pay me after all this fun.”

Twilight nervously smiled as if she had somehow forgotten to do so before, “I won’t forget, promise!”

With that said, Lyra put on the device, carefully making sure not to damage anything as it’s harness was attached to her as well as a strange device on her right forehoof. By the end of it, the unicorn had found that she was rather bottom heavy thanks to the way the harness distributed the weight of the pack, easily standing up on her rear legs with no issues. Noting this, her previously jovial tone returned in full force, “I like this thing already…”

Twilight looked baffled as she looked at her temporary lab partner over once, and then twice, “Err, doesn’t that bother you?”

Lyra stretched a little bit and showed off her mobility, making it rather clear just how she felt about the odd equipment, “I am fine, actually. Feels comfortable, whatever it is. What is it, anyway?”

Twilight smiled triumphantly as she poked and prodded the machine, prompting it to roar to life. It lit up and hummed, a slight force being generated within that almost made Lyra want to dance along. However, Twilight’s explanation kept her from doing just that, “I am glad you asked. It’s a new power pack I have been working on the past few weeks. I have been reading about a lot of magic stones and it got me thinking about it… A lot.”

Lyra made a few leaps in logic, but when she looked at the coil found on the device on her arm it all seemed to come together, “So you are making a unique battery pack with the capability of storing and transmogrifying stored magic into usable power for various purposes?”

“Actually… Yes? How did you know?.

Lyra held up the small doohickey on her wrist and said, “Lucky guess?”

Twilight blushed in embarrassment as she further elaborated this specific device, “Well, yes… It is like that. This is honestly a proof of concept at this point, seeing whether or not the magic can be stored and fired out again in short bursts. Originally the idea was just storing power, but what is the point of it if it cannot be accessed?”

Lyra nodded in understanding, seeing her logic to its conclusion, “Of course! Got a name for this invention, doc?”

She nodded in response, presenting the coiled rod mounted to her wrist with a flourish, “I have dubbed it, the Proto Buster!”

Such a simple name, but for now it works. Lyra can’t complain… At least not until the thing started to spark, shooting out small bolts from the pack and singing some grass underhoof, “Twilight?”

Moving her hoof over the device, Twilight looked at it very closely and marveled at it, “Fascinating… Perhaps the pack is already reacting to our ambient magic fields and manifesting it as tangible sparks!”

Lyra looked at the ground as more and more sparks began to fly, “Hmm… It’s tingly. Is this normal?”

“Well, yes and no. Follow me, I brought a magic field scanner you can stand on, It should let me see what is happening.”

Twilight led her over to a small pad for Lyra to stand on and ignited her magic for a brief second, engulfing the mare in a purple aura, syncing her to the scanner, “Just give me a moment to scan you and the Proto buster… Just give me a little magic to work with.”

She wandered over to a nearby console as Lyra’s horn lit up with a golden hue that shortly turned into a vibrant green the longer she held it. Twilight hummed softly as she looked at the readings coming in, “I am sure everything is under control- Wait a second, that doesn't look right!”

Twilight looked up and gasped in alarm when she spotted the odd magic Lyra was giving off.

“You think? Something… Is happening!”

Lyra’s magic was quickly growing out of control as the battery pack on her back was sputtering wildly. This was disturbing on so many levels to Twilight, but for Lyra it is far worse. She felt like she looked, torn asunder as a blinding light engulfs her, “Twilight!”

Twilight was forced to shield her eyes from the intense light Lyra was giving off. After a few moments, the light was gone, and so was Lyra. All that remained of her was a smoldering crater where she and the pad in which she stood was. Twilight, deeply alarmed, looked around for her friend, “Lyra? Lyra!”

As she looked down at the console she was moments ago, she asked melancholically, “By Celestia, what have I done?.

However, what she saw was not an empty screen. No, she saw hope! The readings were not gone like she had expected, they were just very faint. Lyra was out there somewhere… Twilight just had to find her.

Eyes narrowing, the purple mare exclaimed, “Hang on Lyra, it’s not over yet!”

Author's Note:

Codex


Weapon- Proto Buster
Damage- 1
Obtained- Ponyville
Info- This experimental battery pack is outfitted with three [Redacted] that react to the wearer's ambient magical energy. This [Redacted] abosrbs the energy and transfers it into the Pack's middles chambers where the Energy Crystals are stored. From here, this energy undergoes process in which it turns from a passive and relatively harmless energy wave into a concussive force that until it is used remains in the lower oscillating chamber. When the buster is used, this energy flows from the oscillating chamber into the devise upon the wearer's hoof, where it passes through the focusing coil and outward to it's target.


Location Discovered- Ponyville
Population- Data Corrupted
Info- Data corrupted