• Published 28th Aug 2012
  • 956 Views, 21 Comments

Fortepiano - Aevus



Allegro has fallen for a high class musician, what will he do?

  • ...
4
 21
 956

Well, That Went Bad.

You are tired of all this crap. Your mom always raving about stupid upper class stuff. All crap! In your opinion this house may as well be the seventh circle of hell! Your dad is just as bad, saying you'll never amount to something with your violin. Saying that it is an instrument meant for mares! Ha! you'll show them what you can do. Yea that's what you'll do, that will show them who is the boss of your life, of your pride.

You've been working up confidence for a week, come on Allegro you got this.

-----

"ALLEGRO!" Dad screams almost shattering your eardrums. "You dare talk like that to me, your own father! I care for you for all of your years and this is what I get! You are the worst son ever, you're failing at school, play the violin, and now you're talking like this to me!?" Dad takes another step towards you. "Also, you talk about your mother like that again and your violin gets set on fire, understood?" He says in a strict tone, but instead of nodding your head like he thought you would, you simply start running.

You already have your violin with you, and all the bits you've saved up are in a small pouch at your side. It's not much, but it'll last you a couple of days, and that's all you need. By now you've sprint out the front door and your dad hasn't even given chase. Heh, you think, figures he doesn't even care, this is exactly why I left. Streets and houses of various colors fly by as you run away from home. A few ponies give you weird looks, but you just keep on running down the marble streets towards the center of town. You're a good length away from your house when you slow down to a trot. Wow, you think, this place is huge!

Your dad almost never let you leave the house except to go to school and that was right next door. You've never actually seen Canterlot and wow is it amazing. The streets are extremely wide and full of ponies, the buildings painted bright greens and blues in contrast to the streets' pale white. Every time you had asked your parents if you could play outside with friends they would respond with, 'No, go to your room and study.' or 'Go play with your sister instead.'. Yea, such great parents they were making you stay home alone with nopony but your stupid 3 year old sister.

Anyway, you're walking towards the market center. The town square doesn't seem particularly noisy, just crowded. Oh well, you think to yourself as you find an open spot and unpack your violin.You start to play, and you can hear the other parts of the song in your head. Ponies take notice to your music. You close your eyes and let the music flow through your hoofs. You don't even notice when a few ponies throw bits your way. The only thing that matters right now is the music.

Notes seem to swirl around you the song comes alive. You draw your bow across the bow with passion that rivals all else.

Phrases end then the song ends.

You open your eyes and are greeted by at least 2 dozen cheering ponies. One in particular catches your eyes, she has a grey coat and a sleek black mane. Eyes are locked on you and seemingly looking through your soul.

"Um... Hello?" You say, she takes a step closer and you can now see the cello case swung around her. "Do you want something?" You ask.

"Oh yes, sorry to be so rude but, who the hay are you!? That song was amazing, it flowed perfectly!" She now reaches out a hoof. "Octavia Philharmonic 1st chair cellist of the Canterlot Royal Symphony. I just wanted to ask if you were going to be at the auditions later tonight." You politely shake her hoof.

"Auditions? What auditions?"

"You don't know? Oh well, just come to the concert hall at eleven and bring your violin." With that she turns to leave, but before she does she glances over her shoulder. "And don't be late, we could use a violinist like you." With that she walks away. The rest of the afternoon you continue to play and entertain the crowd, earning yourself a few bits. You feel a little bit tired come 10:30, but by then your walk up to one of the stands and ask for directions.

The stand you walk up to seems to be a small temporary cart with a makeshift roof thrown above it. As you approach the orange mare behind the counter greets you. "Howdy partner, in what way can ah be of help?"

"Could you direct me to the concert hall?" She nods and points to a large building with a domed roof and stone carvings covering the sides. "Thank you." You give a small nod then start trotting towards the building, when you enter you remember something. You forgot to dress formally. Crap, as you walk by ponies give you glares that could have been made into deadly weapons. You reach the front desk and ask were the auditions are.

The idle mare just points a hoof lazily down the hall and mutters something that sounds remotely like 'good luck.'. You nod and trot down the hallway met with more looks of disgust, except one mare who grins when she sees you.

"Ah there you are! I knew you would show up, now just follow me to the stage and we'll start the auditions." Ponies give you looks of confusion and hate as you follow Octavia to the stage. When you reach it you only see one small chair in the middle with the spotlight on it. You also see a small line of ponies holding violins. "Go ahead and get in line while I start the auditions, k?"

You nod and get in line. You get your violin out and start playing a few scales like the others have. Yours are different though. They're filled with flowing dynamics and soulful notes. By the end of the scales you can't help but notice most of the line is now staring strait at you. There eyes wide and some jaws dropped, one mare simply started crying and ran off. "Whats the big deal?" The rest of the line continues to stare in disbelieve until Octavia's voice rings trough the room.

"Welcome, welcome to the violin auditions for the Canterlot Royal Symphony, we will begin momentarily." Octavia trots back stage to see have the line still staring at you. "What did you do, play a scale?" She asks sarcastically.

"Yea sorry about that, should have waited for the auditions to start to utterly blow their minds. Anyway we got auditions to start!" With that comment they start. Most of the players are mediocre at best, playing pieces they think are impressive but obviously aren't. Eventually it's your turn and heck are you nervous. As you walk out to the stage a few snickers echo through the parts of the crowd that hasn't heard me play.

Oh well, Lets Play! The song starts well and now your drawing attention. The ponies that were leaving now stop, the notes gush forth with all the emotion you had pent up as you try not to drag the song on to long. By the end you fell confident. That was awesome!