• Published 23rd Sep 2020
  • 754 Views, 12 Comments

Autumn Scarlet - IgnitedSage



After nearly dying, Apple Bloom is saved by a mysterious being that chose her to be the guardian to a remnant of a lost, powerful race.

  • ...
1
 12
 754

Chapter 3: Child

Wind was rustling the treetops.

Rain was relentlessly hammering against her body.

The forest floor was nothing but a mishmash of wet leaves, grimey puddles, gritty mud-covered soil, and a ton of slimy tree roots that breach the ground in all directions. It made walking out of the forest difficult for multiple reasons, the first being that she nearly tripped several times. Which wouldn’t be as bad normally except for the fact that she was using her new legs which controlling them was already difficult. In between that and holding the human child in which is a weird experience itself, Apple Bloom was having the extreme difficulty of walking out of the Everfree Forest. And if there is one thing that was breaking her right now is that these ‘feet’ were the most sensitive thing on her freaking body. It seems that every step she takes, she keeps stepping on rocks, sticks, and various other hard, painful items scattered across the forest floor. It was enough to make her want to scream. But she held it off. She had to save her strength until she reached home. That was the goal. First, home and then everything else later.

Apple Bloom managed to find a suitable direction eventually. The trees were spaced apart and the branches seem to be getting thinner. The rain and wind were also coming from her left side. If she could recall what her sister-in-law said about the weather correctly, the weather and the wind above the Everfree Forest tend to favor coming from the west. Apple Bloom was hoping the direction she was heading to was about northwest, the general direction where Ponyville was.

“I'd only hope there are no more manticores between here and Ponyville.” Apple Bloom muttered.

The hour of her walking was getting exhausting which was strange since her earth pony strength should give her a lot of endurance. But then this is a new body. She wasn’t even a pony anymore. For all she knew, she wouldn’t be able to buck a tree until she returned to normal. That is if she could ever return to normal. Apple Bloom felt that thought crept up on her but she pushed it to the side. There was time to deal with it later. She will get her old body eventually. Still, it was a damn shame that she lost her fur because the weather was brutal. The tempest above was not relenting and the autumn air was chilling her to the bone. Thankfully this cloak Eos provided was retaining her body heat. The only part of her body that seems to be truly affected by the exposure to the cold were her feet. They were throbbing at first but now they were becoming numb. Apple Bloom didn’t like this.

Apple Bloom’s trek to thinner woods eventually bore fruit when she came upon a small creek that was running in front of her. The water was flowing down past her right side, down deeper into the woods. If Apple Bloom was correct, this creek would be crossing a small yet familiar path that led out of the Everfree Forest. Now that she got her bearings straight and a destination in mind, it was time to get moving. It was hard to gauge how this body could withstand the cold weather but Apple Bloom wasn’t willing to find out. Besides, it wasn’t just her body she had to take care of, it was the human child’s body as well.

The human child remained asleep. It was snuggling against Apple Bloom who was holding him close to her body in order to retain their body heat. It was strange. Apple Bloom only dealt with fillies and colts from time to time. But each time it took a while to calm them down and bond with them. She wasn’t natural mother material, Apple Bloom always thought. Yet this alien baby seems to grow an attachment to her. Of course, he wasn’t awake yet. So she had to wait and see on that part.

Eventually, she found that familiar path. It crossed past the running water and led deep in the woods, towards Zecora’s hut. Although any other day, Apple Bloom would go down to see her mystic teacher, but not now. Apple Bloom turned left and hurried out of the woods. By the time she had gotten on the dirt path, the rain began to lessen. The wind was still fierce and her appendages were still frozen but now she can hope to be dry soon.

Ten minutes later and Apple Bloom was stepping out of the Everfree Forest. She looked up to the star scattered sky above her, just to enjoy the beautiful works of Luna and thanking her for her guidance. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off of her shoulders. Relief came flooding in. She made it. She was in familiar territory. In front of her was the town of Ponyville, laid across the land and hills. It seems everypony was turning in for the night. The streets were deserted. It was just Apple Bloom and the human child. Which is good because Apple Bloom just realized that she has no idea how to hide her transformation.

Apple Bloom looked around the outskirts of the town, scoping out the best way to get to her family farm without getting seen. Once she found a path, she quickly dashes past the houses and away from the center of the town. There were a few close calls. Twice, Apple Bloom had to dive behind a garden wall because a pony was walking by. She was delayed several times but soon enough Apple Bloom managed to get on the winding path to Sweet Apple Acres. After a harsh and eventful day, she was home.

Oh no, she was home.

If there is one thing she was dreading, it was revealing to Applejack what had happened to her. Applejack was a difficult pony to explain things to. Stubborn and quick to recoil from the unusual, it is a problematic dilemma to face right now. Several questions were erupting in Apple Bloom’s head. How can she tell Applejack who she is? Would her own sister even recognize her? What will she do if she can’t stay here? Where would she go? And most importantly, what about the human child that Apple Bloom was holding?

None of these questions were easy. They were only going to get worse the more she delayed this. There was a plan forming, however. Not a great plan, but it was a plan that she had to go with. She was going to hide in the barn for now. Of course, it sounded like a plan that she might have done when she was a young filly but it was a simple one. Things might go wrong but Apple Bloom wasn’t one to usually think things through and right now she didn’t have any time.

Apple Bloom unlocked the barn door and pushed it open gently. The door only opened slightly but it was enough to allow Apple Bloom to squeeze through. Apple Bloom took a quick look around. Good, nopony was here. It was near complete darkness but Apple Bloom practically lived in the barn most of her life and knew the outline of every object in this room. Which made finding the matches and oil lantern very easy. After a few tries and some burn marks, Apple Bloom managed to bring light into the barn.

After setting the lantern down, Apple Bloom decided to lay the child down on a small haystack. The baby was starting to squirm and move. His eyes were beginning to flutter open. He was waking up. There was a slight pause as Apple Bloom watched the human open his eyes. She held her breath. The room became still for a small moment. Then the child opened his mouth and began to wail. It was a few bursts of anguish that turned into a full-blown howl of misery, the volume slowly rising to higher decibels. Apple Bloom realized she had to do something quickly.

“Hey, hey, hey,” Apple Bloom went to the child and tried to calm it down with some suggestions. “Are you scared? It’s okay I’m here.”

The human baby continued to cry.

“Alright, what can I do to help?” Apple Bloom racked her brain for ideas.

“Are you tired?” Well, the child just woke up.

“Are you hungry?” Oh, no. That would be awkward.

“Do- do you need to be changed?” Okay, that’s just worst.

Then Apple Bloom felt a slight breeze and shivered.

“Oh, you are cold.” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “Here give me a second. Let me try to get a fire going.”

Apple Bloom gathered a few bricks and stones to make a fire pit. She put them near the front entrance, away from all the hay. She kept the door slightly open to allow the circulation of air and for the smoke to dissipate. Apple Bloom quickly sneaked to the side of the barn to gather the needed firewood. Even out here she could still hear the baby’s cry. Apple Bloom took a glance at the main house. No lights were on. Her brother must be still out and her sister must be still asleep. Thank the alicorns above that both her sisters-in-law and her nephew were out of town right now. They were the ones that usually stayed up.

After taking as much firewood as she could trust herself to carry, Apple Bloom went back into the barn and began to start the fire. Like the lantern, it took a few more tries than Apple Bloom was willing to admit to getting the fire going. After she ensured the fire was sustainable and contained, Apple Bloom went to the human child and began to soothe him. She wrapped him and herself back in the giant cloak. She rocked the baby and soon he slowly settled down and stopped crying. Eventually, he began to make cooing sounds and look up at Apple Bloom with a docile look. It remained this way for quite some time. Apple Bloom would hope this would last until daybreak. That illusion was shattered, however, when the sounds of the howling wind were interrupted by voices coming from the outside.

Apple Bloom snapped to alertness. There were ponies outside and they were approaching the barn. She could hear two of them having a conversation. A sense of dreadfulness came upon Apple Bloom as she recognized the voices becoming all too familiar as they were approaching the barn’s door. At a speed that would rival a Wonderbolt, Apple Bloom gently placed the human down on the ground and dove behind a wooden beam.

Not even a second later and the barn door opened.

“S’mpony has been here alright, Big Mac.” The voice of her sister Applejack said.

“Yep.” spoke the voice of her brother Big Mac.

“Hello?” Applejack called out to the barn. “Anypony here?”

There was a pause. As if they were expecting somepony to answer. But Apple Bloom kept still. She knew she had to come forth but did not know how to approach the situation.

“T’is alright if y’all are using our barn as a shelter but we need to know who you are.” Applejack said as she crossed the threshold and into the foyer.

Apple Bloom can only imagine that Big Mac was standing by with a shovel in case something was dangerous.

“We know you’re here.” Applejack told the barn. “Please, come out.”

That is when the human child let out a gurgling noise. Apple Bloom peered around the corner, only allowing her a slight look without giving away her position.

“What the hay?” Applejack took a step back in surprise and looked down at the source of the noise.

The human child looked at the pony, curiosity plastered on his face. Applejack revolted a bit, her hoof halfway out as she seemed hesitant to touch the living thing. Big Mac soon entered the barn. He peaked around Applejack to see what she stumbled upon. They both looked at the baby and wondered out of curiosity what they were looking at. Big Mac was about to reach out and touch the human child when Apple Bloom couldn’t take it anymore. She let out a slight gasp causing both her siblings to look up. Apple Bloom mentally kicked herself for making a noise but knew that this was inevitable. So she took a deep breath and spoke to her family as she remains hidden behind the large wooden post.

“Don’t touch him,” Apple Bloom warned them. “I don’t know if he is dangerous or not. But I'd rather that y’all stay back for now.”

“Apple Bloom?” Applejack now turned her attention to the back of the barn.

“STAY AWAY!” Apple Bloom yelled loudly. “I mean it! Something has happened to me. I can’t let you guys see me. Not now. I don’t want any harm to come to you. Please, trust me.”

Apple Bloom held back a sob on the last word but her plea seems to have done the trick. Applejack didn’t move any closer and instead remained rooted at her spot. Big Mac softly put down something as Apple Bloom heard a distinctive ping of metal hitting the ground. Big Mac shuffled his hooves but he too stayed where he was at.

“Apple Bloom?” Big Mac spoke in a soft voice. It was a tone that Apple Bloom rarely heard from her older brother if at all. It carried defenselessness, concern, but most importantly of all, fear. “Please tell us what’s wrong,” he begged. “What happened?”

Apple Bloom closed her eyes and let out a deep breath. Her mind was torn. Part of her wanted to just hide here until the end of eternity. To hide away from family in hopes that they will forget about this whenever she returns to normal. That this was just a small incident that shall never be repeated. But the other part of her came to the conclusion that it was pointless to hide. She didn’t know when she would return to her original body. Her knowledge of transformation magic was sketchy at best. She can’t remain hidden in her barn forever. Eventually, everypony would be looking for her. She would have to come out and reveal to her family that she is no longer a pony. If that was the case, then it was better now than later because at least she could have a better chance of controlling the situation. Apple Bloom just hopes that her sibling would believe that she is who she said she is. They just have to trust her on this.

That is the kicker. The fact remains that she may have her voice and her mane unchanged but everything else was so different and alien that nopony would guess that Apple Bloom was this weird ape-like creature. She has to establish something that would convince her brother and sister that she is the real Apple Bloom. That she was no imposter.

Think Apple Bloom, think. Apple Bloom concentrated on her memories, searching for something that would prove that she is their little sister. Then she got it. If she could convince Big Mac then Applejack would follow suit.

“Big Mac, remember the time you were Orchard Blossom for the Sisterhood Social,” Apple Bloom said in a hurry. “You did it to cheer me up because Applejack went to Manehatten because of the Cutie Mark Map.”

Neither of them said anything, so Apple Bloom continued now that she had their attention.

“You felt sad because you felt left out. You got nostalgic because you found an old toy I had when I was a filly. It was a wooden...wooden dragonfly on a...on a...on a stick! Applejack was with Rarity on that trip. They were helping Coco with clearing up a stage or something. I can’t remember what. But it was definitely when the Sisterhood Social happened. And Big Mac you cheered me up with vegetables on your face or something like that.”

“Apple Bloom, why are you bringing this up?” Applejack finally asked.

“It is because you have to trust me!” Apple Bloom particularly shouted. “Y’all have to know that I’m Apple Bloom. That I’m the real deal. Because something happened to me during my trip in the woods. My appearance was altered, I was transformed.”

“What are you saying?”

Apple Bloom controlled her breathing as she braced herself. Then she stepped out from her hiding spot and out to the open. All at once, her two siblings fell to their hanches. Their eyes widen, their jaws slacked. They saw Apple Bloom standing tall over them, a cloak draped over her body.

“I’m no longer a pony,” Apple Bloom told them.


The three of them sat huddled around the fire as Apple Bloom explained what happened to her in the past twelve hours. For the most part, they kept their focus on her as she was speaking. But every so often, they steal glances at the human child. Apple Bloom kept him quiet by alternating between rocking him, holding him, burping him, and for one time feeding him. Thankfully her trusty, warm cloak was able to provide privacy. The baby for his part was either napping or curiously looking around at his surroundings.

After answering several questions multiple times and telling them all the information she could, it seems like Applejack and Big Mac accepted that she was Apple Bloom. It was beginning to feel weird though. For one she was about an inch taller than Big Mac which Apple Bloom didn’t think would ever happen. Another was that Apple Bloom didn’t have to mind her tail when she sat down as her siblings did when they took a seat. Apple Bloom however misses being able to move her ears and having her warm fur coat.

The conversation was winding down after some clarification on what happened today and how this was going to change the near future. This is good news for Apple Bloom who was feeling the exhaustion of the long day starting to hit her. She had to stifle several yawns as they were getting to the end of the conversation. It must be nearly three in the morning.

“So, you’d believe this ‘ship’ has been destroyed?” Applejack asked, wanting clarification.

“Yes, Eos was pretty sure that he was going to die and had to purge his ship,” Apple Bloom told her. “Of course I don’t completely know. I never went back there and I would certainly not know how to find that damn cave again.”

“But you ain’t completely sure.” Applejack said. “For all we know, there could be a dozen of those things scattered across Equestria. And who knows how many ponies could be forced to be these...humans. These things pose a threat to Equestria. We have to tell somepony. I’ll have to tell Twilight. She is the expert on this.”

“Do you’ll think that will help?” Apple Bloom put her hand to the bottom of her forehead. A gesture that was foreign to her yet felt very fulfilling. “Eos told me that these humans were more advanced than us. Maybe she could decipher what their magic is like but it might involve getting all of Equestria involved. I don’t think I can’t handle that. Especially if I’m taking care of...” She looked down at the child below.

It felt weird that she never considered speaking the name she thought of giving him. Yet she did name him. Well, sort of. If she did start calling him by his name, then it would be a point of no return. This child would be her responsibility. There would be no going back. She would be like a mother to him. It was a scary step. Yet she felt like there were no options left. Sure, she could pawn this child to Princess Twilight. Let the authorities take care of him. But how guilty would she feel if something happened to him in their custody? It was unthinkable.

“Well, I still think we should at least tell Twilight.” Applejack said. “And the sooner the better. If there is something out there that can transform a manticore like that, then it could be dangerous to all of Ponyville.”

“If you think that will work, be my guest.” Apple Bloom saw the human child starting to squirm. And decide right then to truly care for him. She picked him up and began to calm him down.

“Shhh, it’s okay Autumn.” Apple Bloom told him. “We’re going to sleep soon. I promise.”

“You’d named this creature?” Applejack was taken aback.

“Yes I did,” Apple Bloom said proudly. “I can tell this is making you uncomfortable, Applejack. But I can't just abandon this child. I have to take care of him until we find more humans. And every child deserves a name.”

“Yeah, but why Autumn?”

“I don’t know,” Apple Bloom stood up and held the child to her hips. “I find it fitting. Autumn Scarlet.”

And then suddenly the rain returned. Hard. A downpour began again with the howl of wind accomplishing it. The weather of course had to get worse just as Apple Bloom was ready to hit the hay. Come to think of it, was there supposed to be a storm scheduled for later tonight? All three of them looked out towards the cold woods nearby. Apple Bloom peered out to get a closer look. She thought she saw something move.

Apple Bloom felt a prickling feeling on the back of her neck. It felt something was out there watching them. Suddenly, Apple Bloom didn’t feel safe. She felt herself backing away from the outside and deeper into the barn. A chill came upon her body. She clutched Autumn closer to her, tightening her grip.

“There is something out there.” Apple Bloom whispered.

Instantly her siblings went to full alertness. Applejack stepped out and took a quick look around. Big Mac went to grab a shovel from off the floor. The four of them waited for a few moments. They all listen for the sound of twig snapping or hoofbeats or even the low growl of a predator. The only sound was the crackling of the dying fire nearby.

Suddenly a gust of wind erupted from the front entrance. The force of the wind was strong enough to blow out the lantern light and reduce the bonfire to dying embers, purging them all in near-total darkness. Wet leaves were being flung everywhere. The barn doors were slowly being pried open as the strength of the howling wind increased.

As the atmosphere continued to worsen, Autumn began to fuss. Apple Bloom tried to calm him down but he was not having it. The stormy conditions were irritating him to no end. He started to squirm and cry. His noises were escaping out of the barn and into the seemingly empty field. Whether it was parental instincts or reading the child’s emotions, Apple Bloom felt it was time for them to head indoors. Quickly.

“Come on,” Apple Bloom told her siblings as she headed towards the entrance. “Let’s get into the house now.”

She took a few steps, her aching feet protesting in pain as she did so. Yet the wind was too strong. Her taller frame came into a disadvantage as the air kept pushing her back. Apple Bloom however wasn’t going to stand in the barn like a sitting duck. She bundled up against the cold wind and pushed as hard as she could to the doorframe. Yet every step that she took was more exhausting than the last. She shot out a hand to grab the wooden frame as firmly as she could. She pulled herself to the outside and rested against the wooden wall. The entire barn was shaking. Even Applejack and Big Mac were struggling against the wind and they were no slouches in the strength department.

Apple Bloom was ready to head to the house when a bit of movement came across her vision. She looked up to see that something was lurking in the tilled field a couple of yards away. It stopped moving and then began to raise its head. Apple Bloom froze as a coil of dreadfulness tightened around her body.

No, she thought. Not here. Not now. Not with her family close by.

Yet it was true. It was more machine now than a beast. The appendages were all metal with various spots emitting light. Half of its face was gone, replaced by a metallic and glass casing. The machine whirled and clicked as it brought the creature to full height. The eyes of the monster glowed with eerie contempt as it came upon the new human. For a moment there was nothing in the world but them, two beings with their eyes locked into each other. Then reality came crashing back when the beast let out a mighty roar that shook the heavens.

Applejack popped to Apple Bloom's side as her eyes came upon the infamous beast of the day.

“I’d thought you said this thing was killed!” Applejack shouted to Apple Bloom.

“Eos blew up an entire cave!” Apple Bloom replied. “It was kind of the assumption there!”

Then the monster slowly approached them. Immediately, Applejack and Big Mac came in between the machine manticore and Apple Bloom. They both braced themselves, their hooves dug into the ground. They were putting themselves in danger as the monster was getting ready to attack. Apple Bloom didn’t know what to do. Retreat or fight? And during all this time, Autumn kept crying.

“Go,” Big Mac told his little sister. “Run. We’ll fight the manticore here.”

Apple Bloom remained still.

“Do it!”

With that Apple Bloom snapped out of her fear and risked moving away from the danger. She took a step towards the house but didn’t get further than that as the wind picked up twice as strong, pushing Apple Bloom back into the barn. Whether it was wind or magic or perhaps a combination of both, Apple Bloom felt her body being lifted off of the ground. She was rendered helpless as she was thrown back into the barn easily as if she was a leaf.

Apple Bloom felt her body tumble and Autumn slip from her arms. Autumn rolled over a few times before coming to a complete stop. The force of her tumble wasn’t too strong to hurt her, so Apple Bloom was quick to recover. She got back up on her feet and went to grab Autumn. She hoped that she could be able to find a way in the back to escape. Yet within the second that she tries to pick up Autumn, two things happen.

The first thing that came to fruition was the manticore’s move. The manticore suddenly sprinted across the field and then leaped up into the air. The beast easily vaulted over Applejack and Big Mac and right into the barn. The wooden structure was no match for the metal horror as the force of the leap caused the manticore to burst through the gambrel area. Wood pieces flew everywhere. They rained upon Apple Bloom as she shielded Autumn from the monster.

Then the second thing happened. A warm glow came over Autumn as suddenly bits of energy came over his body. He suddenly stopped crying. He looked into Apple Bloom, his expression blank. It was as if he was staring far away, deep into something mystic and unknown. Then a glow erupted from inside his body. Apple Bloom had little time to react as she tried to reach for him, to save him. Then his two feet came in contact with the ground in a wiggly thump. The moment Autumn hit the ground with his heels, a burst of magic tunneled across the ground and into the smoldering pile of wood that was the dying bonfire. There were only a few cinders and a lone ember left. But it was enough.

In a flash of light and magic, a towering inferno erupted from the charcoal remains. It hit the manticore straight on. The connecting blow came with enough force to shoot it straight through the roof and into the sky, sending sparks and fiery debris everywhere. In a fluid and uncoordinated movement, Apple Bloom managed to scoop up Autumn and stumble away from the column of flames.

Then like that, the fire was extinguished. The cold rain and wind return, more so now that half the building is gone. Apple Bloom looked down at the human baby in her arms. Autumn was returning to normal, the magic fading. His eyes rolled back to his head and he started to drift into unconsciousness. Apple Bloom wrapped him tightly into her cloak. Applejack and Big Mac came galloping back to her. All of this happened in just a few seconds but it felt like an hour to her.

“Are you okay, sugarcube?” Applejack asked, putting a protective foreleg over Apple Bloom’s waist. “What happened?”

“I-I-I-I don’t know.” Apple Bloom stammered. “One moment the manticore was upon us, the next moment it was hit with a blast of fire. I think Autumn might have done it. I think he can cast magic.”

“You think he did it?” Big Mac said, pointing at the human child.

“That’s...That’s my guess.” Apple Bloom said. Then she turned to her brother. “Why?”

“Apple Bloom, I want you to think this carefully and don’t take this the wrong way.” Applejack turned her sister’s head towards her. “Do you think it is wise we take this creature into our house? It is already proven to be dangerous. We need to take it to an expert in magic. We need it somewhere away from here.”

“But it is not his fault!” Apple Bloom protested. “He didn’t want to be in danger. He can’t control this.”

“Apple Bloom,” Big Mac said in a quiet tone. “We may have no choice. This human could hurt us accidentally. It could hurt Rainbow Dash, it could hurt Sugar Belle, it could hurt Apple Crisp. We are in danger if we keep him here.”

“He isn’t that dangerous,” Apple Bloom said.

Just then the manticore crashed into the ground in a pile of flaming pieces right next to the barn.

“Anymore” Apple Bloom amended.

Both her siblings stared at her with incredulity. Apple Bloom wanted to protest but in the back of her mind, she knew they were right. She can’t keep Autumn here. Even without the occasional magic explosion, there were just too many ponies here that would notice the new human. Too many ponies that would be in harm’s way. She can’t just expect everypony to have their daily lives to be interrupted by this turn of events.

Apple Bloom gave out a hesitating hiss of air. It seems her only choice was to go to Princess Twilight. She was the only pony who was qualified to handle this situation. She can study the magic connection, stopping anyone from hurting Autumn, and find a way to return Apple Bloom to normal. She just hopes that Twilight won’t go too far into looking for answers. That the princess will stop when Apple Bloom tells her to. The last thing Apple Bloom needed was to have guilt for bringing Autumn to the government.

“You know I’m right, sugarcube.” Applejack spoke. “We don’t want any harm happening to this human but we can’t keep him in our house. Not now at least.”

“I...know” Apple Bloom sighed. “I shouldn’t expect him to live here. I should take him to his people. The only way I can do that is through Twilight.”

“So, we agree?” Applejack at first seems taken aback with Apple Bloom agreeing but a wave of relief quickly overtook it. “Good. If that is the case, maybe I can get Twilight to come over tomorrow. I’d contact her first thing in the morning-”

Applejack stopped as her eyes set upon the fiery remains of the manticore. The moving fiery remains of the manticore. The moving fiery remains that were coming back together. Apple Bloom shook her head in disbelief. She wanted this nightmare to be over. She wanted this to end. But it seems fate was just too cruel.

The three Apples watched as the manticore was being built back together. This time not much flesh was left. Instead, it was all metal and machine. The technological terror was slowly reforming its body. Legs were snapping back to place. Deadly tail molded back together. Jaws snapping back into their right location. The eyes began to light up.

“Oh hell,” Applejack let out. “What are we going to do now?”

Apple Bloom looked at both of her siblings. They both looked frighten and petrified. She was hoping that the two of them would do something. She gave them a pleading look. But both of them were just looking at the undefeatable monster with a defeated outlook. They were helpless against a creature like this. What can they do? Yet Apple Bloom felt the little living being in her arms. If they were to fail now, then Autumn would be taken. She would fail Eos.

Then Apple Bloom felt herself standing up to her new full height. It was like she was a new person. A resolution was building in her. She knew there was no way she was going to surrender now. They were so close! She can’t accept that this is how they were going to fall. No, this is how they will fight back. She will NOT fail Autumn. She will fight for him no matter what.

Apple Bloom stepped out of the barn. The manticore was still trying to get back together. The blow might have not killed it but it did put decent harm on its body. That means it can be stopped. It can be killed. They just need to find the means to keep Autumn away from the jaws of this monster until they put it down permanently. An idea was occurring in Apple Bloom’s head. A dangerous idea but it might just work.

Apple Bloom turned to her siblings.

“I have a plan,” she told them.