• Published 4th Sep 2020
  • 822 Views, 17 Comments

Sunset Shimmer and the Castle of Everfree - HAKDurbin



When master thief Sunset Shimmer discovers that the money she robbed from a casino is counterfeit, she goes to the country of Everfree, rumored to be the source of the forgery only to discover a plot involving the love of her life.

  • ...
6
 17
 822

Chapter 5

For the last two days, Sunset and Starlight have been hiding near the Castle of Luna. They decided to stay at the abandoned shack so that they wouldn't be noticed by Applejack, which suited Sunset fine. To her, it was like she was home for the first time in years. Starlight saw it as nothing but an old, creaking, dusty building, but she tolerated it as long as her friend was happy, and they had a safe place to figure out their next move.

Late afternoon on the second day, Starlight was napping on Sunset's old bed, and Sunset was sitting on a chair and spying on Castle Everfree through the side window with her binoculars. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door that instantly woke up Starlight. She turned to Sunset, who didn't seem to hear it before Starlight got out of bed and knocked on the door five times. The purple woman waited until she heard two more knocks, and opened the door to reveal the stone face of a tall woman with dark orchid skin, moderate opal eyes, and moderate rose hair that had lighter edges. She was dressed in black robes with a samurai sword strapped to her belt and was carrying two large black cases.

"Tempest, you made it here quick," Starlight said with a friendly grin. "Are those for us?"

She reached out to take one of the cases out of Tempest's hand, but the tall woman stepped back and gave Starlight a warning glare.

"Payment first, Glimmer," she said.

Starlight pouted before she took out her wallet and took out several thousand dollar bills. She traded the bills for the case in Tempest's right hand and carried it to the bed. When Starlight opened it, her face lit up, and her leg popped to see an anti-tank rifle. She let out a high-pitched giggle before she picked up the rifle and hugged it like a child with a brand new doll.

"I'm going to have so much fun with you," She chirped before kissing the rifle on the recoil reducer. "Let's see those baddies try to mess with us."

Tempest rolled her eyes before turning to Sunset, who was still looking through her binoculars, having not noticed that she was in the room. The dark orchid woman cleared her throat loudly, and Sunset turned her head to give her a smirk.

"Tempest Shadow. You're here earlier than we hoped," she said.

"Duly noted," Tempest said as she sat down on a chair next to Sunset's. "I don't usually travel so far from the Badlands just to deliver weapons, scuba suits, and disguises, Shimmer, but you said you'd make it worth my while."

"And I will," Sunset assured. "Tell me, Tempest, are you familiar with the legendary Horse Bills?"

Tempest raised her eyebrow and turned to Starlight, who was still hugging the rifle. Starlight smirked and nodded before Tempest turned back to Sunset and said, "I'm listening."

Sunset smirked and said, "Did you see the large castle on your way here?"

Tempest scoffed and said, "How could I not?"

"That's where the fake dough is coming from," Sunset said. "The ruler of the country is printing high-quality counterfeit money, and we're going to liberate it from her."

Tempest gave her a skeptical look and said, "And you need things like an anti-tank rifle to do that? That seems like overkill for a heist against the castle of a small country."

"Hey, don't let the wrapper fool you, Temp," Starlight said. "The first day we were here, we had to deal with an armored car full of guys with machine guns and grenades, and then these gorilla-ninja-assassin creeps tried to kill us with suits of armor."

Tempest looked at Starlight as though she spoke random gibberish.

"Are you trying to mess with me, Glimmer?" She asked.

"Believe me. I wish I was," Starlight replied. "I'm all for challenges when it comes to us becoming rich, but what they have against us is insane."

"I see," Tempest said. "So, how do you intend to take over?"

"We're gonna hold Sunset's ex-boyfriend, Prince Rough Draft, and his ring for ransom," Starlight said.

"Starlight!" Sunset shouted.

"Sunset's ex-boyfriend and his ring?" Tempest asked skeptically. "This isn't another big mess we have to deal with like with Flash Sentry, is it?"

"It's not like that," Sunset said. "I'm genuinely in love with Rough Draft, who I was separated from years ago, and I hope I can get back together with him."

Tempest looked at Sunset baffled and asked, "Who are you, and what have you done with Sunset Shimmer?"

"I know, right?" Starlight said. "Trust me. It was strange to hear her tell me all about how she's crazy about this guy she secretly dated way back when. She was going on about how they met and fell madly in love, and how she wants to rip the queen's head off just because she's engaged to him."

"I didn't say I want to rip her head off," Sunset said.

"Well, whatever it was that you said you were pissed," Starlight said with a wave of her hand.

Tempest frowned and said, "Okay, this is all fascinating, but what does this have to do with the Horse Bills?"

"Long story short, Queen Adagio Dazzle runs the counterfeit operation, she wants to marry Rough Draft to get his ring for some unknown reason, and we have the ring, which is why they tried to kill us," Sunset said. "Our first move is to sneak into the castle, rescue Rough Draft, who doesn't want to marry the queen, and find out where the counterfeit money is coming from with his help. If we do that and prove that her people are no match for us with our new equipment, then Queen Adagio will be at a point where she will do anything to get Rough Draft's ring, even giving the counterfeit operation to us."

"And let Sunset marry her fiance while at it," Starlight added.

"No. Let Rough Draft free," Sunset corrected with her cheeks heating up. "I'm not marrying my ex right after we just got back together."

"I don't know, boss. Your cheeks imply that you would like that," Starlight teased.

Sunset shook her face to try to get rid of her blush, but the deed was already done. Tempest chuckled with her mouth closed, amused with how her client was acting.

"So, on top of facing armored assassins, cars, and Lord knows what else to become filthy rich, we're going to rescue a prince, who is trapped inside a giant castle and has a romantic past with Shimmer," she said, smirking. "Sounds like a fairy tale where the ladies get all the action, and the dude is the damsel in distress that becomes the hero's prize. I like it."

Sunset glared at Tempest, disapproving of her talking about the man she loved like he was an object. She sighed, deciding to drop the matter and say, "Anyway, since it's going to be a three-person job, we're going to split the earnings into thirds."

Tempest frowned and said, "That means we each get thirty-three-point-thirty-three percent. What happens with the remaining point-zero-one percent?"

Sunset chuckled as though Tempest said a joke and said, "Well, I get that, of course. After all, I'm the leader and brains of this heist, so I should get a little bonus."

Tempest and Starlight looked at each other, disapprovingly before the former said, "That hardly sounds fair."

"Yeah, you may be the leader, but we should still roughly get a fair amount," Starlight said.

"Alright, if that's what you two are thinking, then what do you suggest?" Sunset asked.

Starlight scratched her chin in thought before she snapped her fingers and said with a devious grin, "I say we split the earnings thirty-five, thirty-five, and thirty with you getting the thirty."

"What? That's bullcrap!" Sunset shouted. "How in the world is that fair?"

"Because you technically already get a bonus by getting back together with your royal boyfriend," Starlight said. "Think about it, boss. The three of us are going to be super rich either way, but Tempest and I are going to be super rich and nothing else while you become super-rich and get a dashing prince to boot. Surely, having five percent less than us is nothing to cry about when you and your beloved Rough Draft get to spend all the time you want to…"

Starlight turned her back on her comrades and started rubbing her sides while making kissing noises and moaning. Tempest snorted out a snicker while Sunset's cheeks turned as red as half of her hair in embarrassment and frustration.

"Fine!" She barked. "But if Rough Draft and I don't get back together, we're splitting the money into thirds, and I get the remaining point-zero-one percent."

Starlight scoffed in amusement and said, "Whatever you say, Sunset."

Tempest hummed and gave a short nod, satisfied with the deal before she frowned and asked, "You know, this is all well and good, but do you even know what to expect inside the castle? They should have other forms of security besides just armored cars and assassins."

"I'm way ahead of you, Tempest," Sunset said with a boastful grin. "In fact, I should check to see if one special part of my plan has arrived yet."

Sunset went back to her seat and started spying on the castle again with her binoculars. Tempest and Starlight looked at each other, curious about what their leader was planning. After a moment, they heard Sunset let out a mischievous chuckle.

"There she is," she said.

"There who is?" Starlight asked.

"See for yourself," Sunset said as she stood up and handed the binoculars to Starlight.

The purple woman sat down on Sunset's seat and looked through the binoculars. She scanned the castle until she spotted a police car and two large trucks entering the castle through the front gate. The three vehicles stopped in the middle of the courtyard, and a couple dozen policemen came out from the back of the trucks. The front doors of the police car opened, and a purple man with spiky green hair and green eyes came out from the driver's seat. Starlight gasped in shock as a grayish mulberry woman with dark sapphire blue hair with moderate purple and brilliant raspberry streaks wearing glasses, a tan trench coat, and a white hat came out of the passenger seat. The woman was scanning the area with a determined look in her moderate violet eyes as she closed the door and started marching her way inside the building with the purple man following her.

"Crap. It's Sparkle and the Canterlot police," Starlight said fearfully.

"Sparkle as in Inspector Twilight Sparkle?" Tempest asked. "The woman who keeps trying to capture you guys?"

"Yup. That's her. Her brother, Lieutenant Spike, is there too," Starlight moaned. "Oh, why did they have to be here when we're about to get our biggest payday ever?"

"Hey, relax, Starlight. It's all part of the plan," Sunset said.

"What?! You brought them here?!" Starlight shouted.

"That's right," Sunset said. "I gave them an anonymous tip about my little note to the queen."

"Why on Earth would you do that?!" Starlight shouted.

"Oh, just wait and watch," Sunset said with a cocky smirk.

***************************************************************************************************

Back inside the castle, Adagio was in the dining hall, eating the most delicate fruit, bread, ham, and eggs money can buy. Cozy Glow was standing next to her, waiting on her queen while a group of butlers was standing beside the wall, ready to carry out whatever command their ruler would give regarding her meal. As she was sipping a cup of tea, the door opened, and a maid with light greenish-gray skin and moderate aquamarine hair entered the hall.

"Excuse me, Your Grace, but a force of the Canterlot police has arrived, and the leader and her second-in-command wishes to speak to you," she said.

Adagio raised her eyebrow as she put down her cup and said, "Very well. Send then in, Wallflower Blush."

Wallflower Blush gave the queen a bow before she opened the door, allowing Inspector Twilight Sparkle and her brother to come in. The two of them put their feet together and saluted Adagio before Twilight spoke.

"Sorry to interrupt your meal, Your Highness," Twilight said.

"I'm sure you are," Adagio said uncaringly. "Who are you?"

"My name is Inspector Twilight Sparkle of the Canterlot police, Your Majesty," Twilight replied. "And this is my second-in-command.

"Lieutenant Spike Sparkle, at your service, Your Highness," Spike greeted.

Cozy Glow covered her mouth to keep herself from laughing before whispering into Adagio's ear, "Spike Sparkle. Try saying that ten times fast, My Lady."

Adagio chuckled with her mouth closed before taking another sip of her tea. Spike glared at them for making fun of his name until Twilight elbowed his side

"What can I do for you, Inspector Sparkle?" Adagio asked.

Twilight cleared her throat and said, "We are in a special assignment to hunt down an international thief known as Sunset Shimmer."

"And that's a reason to interrupt my breakfast?" Adagio asked.

"I am telling you this because we have received a report that Sunset Shimmer has given you a note announcing that she is going to kidnap your fiance," Twilight said.

"So?" Adagio asked.

"We wish to protect you and aid your security in stopping her," Twilight said.

Adagio chuckled with her mouth closed again and said, "I think my security can handle an overconfident thief, inspector."

"With all due respect, Your Highness, Sunset Shimmer is not to be underestimated," Twilight said. "She is a criminal mastermind who has stolen from some of the most highly secure places in the world. If you're not careful, she will sneak up from under you and take what she wants before you know it."

"Oh, please. How can she do that when she's already given away that she wants to steal my groom?" Adagio asked.

"Because that's how she works, Your Majesty," Twilight said. "She reveals what she's going to steal, and then she does it before you can do anything to stop her. Recently, she stole from a national casino in Yakyakistan, publicly telling it to her audience before security could do anything."

"The security of a casino isn't the same as the security to the leader of a country, inspector," Adagio said.

"Fair point, Your Majesty, but even the homes of kings, queens, presidents, and chancellors have proven to be no match for Sunset Shimmer," Twilight said.

"And what makes you so sure you can protect my fiance when you haven't captured Sunset Shimmer already?" Adagio asked.

"Because I believe with my knowledge and the teamwork between my men and your security, we can catch her," Twilight replied.

Adagio stared at Twilight, unconvinced with her claim. Then she smirked and picked up a bell next to her plate. With a little ring, another door opened to reveal a tall, muscular man with red skin, and light indigoish gray hair and beard wearing gold armor. He marched into the hall with a stern look until he was standing next to Twilight and Spike. Spike felt a chill down his spine as the man glanced at him with a menacing look in his brilliant yellow eyes while waiting for orders.

"This is the captain of my royal guard, Tirek," Adagio introduced. "Tirek, this is Inspector Sparkle. You are to cooperate with her as she helps you protect the prince. Listen to any information she has regarding Sunset Shimmer."

"As you command, My Queen," Tirek said in a low voice.

"Thank you, Your Highness," Twilight said. "Also, if I may ask, do you have any idea why Sunset Shimmer would want to kidnap Prince Rough Draft? Any knowledge you have would be helpful."

"Why don't you tell me?" Adagio asked smugly. "You're the inspector, after all."

Twilight and Spike furrowed their brows before they saluted the queen again with Twilight saying, "Thank you for your time, Your Majesty." The two of them followed Tirek out of the hall while Adagio quietly went back to her meal.

"My Queen, are you sure letting the police stay here is a good idea?" Cozy Glow asked. "If we are not careful, they might suspect something."

"I wouldn't worry about it, Cozy Glow," Adagio said confidently. "I have an influential friend in Canterlot, so the inspector is not going to be staying here for long. Besides, I see no harm in gathering information that can be used to stop the person who wants to take my Rough Draft away from me."

Cozy Glow thought about it for a moment before she smirked, deciding to trust her mistress's devious mind.

************************************************************************************************

As Adagio ate her breakfast, Tirek showed Twilight and Spike around the castle. Twilight looked around the area as she walked, thinking of ways that Sunset might sneak in. It seemed like there was no way that the thief could get in given the guards, butlers, and maids all over the castle, but the inspector experienced too much of Sunset's clever tricks to be convinced. It didn't help that Tirek was boasting about how secure the building was like many have before.

"We have thirty members of the royal guard all armed with swords and wearing the best armor there is," Tirek said. "Our maids and butlers are unarmed, but they know how to defend themselves through martial arts if necessary."

"Uh, that's all well and good, captain, but we're trying to stop a thief, not an assassination," Spike said.

Tirek scoffed at the policeman whose height only reached his chest and said, "Well, don't you feel smart for stating the obvious, you little pipsqueak?"

"Hey! Who are you calling a pipsqueak?!" Spike barked.

"Calm down, Spike," Twilight said before turning to Tirek. "He's right, though. Sunset Shimmer tends to find ways to sneak past security. She'll only use violence when stealing something if she wants the heist to be fun."

"Heh. Whatever you say, inspector," Tirek said uncaringly.

Twilight furrowed her brow at the captain, as the three of them entered the courtyard at the second level. The area appeared simple enough with green grass, cemented pathways, and rose bushes planted close to the wall. Twilight looked at how close the bushes were to the wall skeptically, thinking Sunset might climb up the wall and use the bushes to sneak her way inside. She took a step to get a better look until Tirek blocked her path with his thick arm.

"I wouldn't go any further if I were you," he said.

"And why's that?" Twilight asked.

Tirek thought about how to answer before he asked, "Do either of you have a pen or something like that I can use?"

"I do," Spike said as he took a pen out of his pocket.

Tirek took the pen and held it out so that the tip was just above the grass. Twilight and Spike watched in confusion until the end of the pen exploded with a pop. They jumped in alarm, and Tirek grinned, amused by their reaction.

"What in the world was that?!" Twilight asked.

"Laser guns," Tirek said. "They are hiding in the bushes. We have motion detectors that activate them. Anyone who goes farther than here will be dead before they've taken their first step. I suggest you let your officers know not to go wandering around if you know what's good for them."

Twilight and Spike stared at the remains of the pen, dumbfounded by this information. Tirek chuckled as he gave the pen back to Spike and said, "Let's move on." The siblings turned to each other and frowned as they walked behind Tirek.

"I don't like this, Twilight," Spike whispered. "Something is fishy."

"I agree, Spike," Twilight whispered back. "Maids and butlers knowing martial arts covering every hall and laser guns? This castle has very elaborate security. Too elaborate. Not even Canterlot Castle has security like this. There's no reason the castle of a small country like Everfree should have more security than some of the major countries in the world."

"But, isn't this a good thing?" Spike asked. "Maybe they have the right preventive measures to stop Sunset Shimmer."

"Maybe, but this still seems fishy," Twilight said. "The way Queen Adagio was acting mixed with this security makes it seem like she's hiding something, and somehow the prince is the key for Sunset Shimmer to get it. We might have to keep an eye out for Her Highness as well as Shimmer."

***********************************************************************************************

But while the two officers were following Tirek, Sunset was watching them with her binoculars from the shack with a devious grin.

"Laser guns, eh? Interesting," she said. "I knew I could count on our old buddy, Twilight."

"Ah, so that's why you got Sparkle into the picture," Tempest said.

"Of course," Sunset said. "Twilight always inspects whatever place we're going to break into to find out what security it has. That's what makes it so hilariously ironic that she's helping us find out what we're up against by spying on her."

"Heh. Trick your enemies into helping you with your heist. I like the way you think, Shimmer," Tempest said.

"But, how will we sneak in and get the prince when we have all of that security and Sparkle to worry about?" Starlight asked. "That might be too much for us to handle."

"Possibly," Sunset admits. "The queen's security is nothing like what we've faced before. Heck, there wasn't anything like motion detectors or lasers when I tried to break in last time. Having said that, I have a few ideas starting with how we're going to get in."

"And that would be?" Tempest questioned.

"The aqueduct," Sunset said.

"The aqueduct?" Starlight asked.

"The lake up here in Rough Draft's family garden flows into a tunnel underneath the clocktower that leads to the aqueduct. That's how the castle gets its water supply," Sunset explained. "With the scuba diving gear Tempest brought us, we're going to swim our way inside the aqueduct into the windmill on the other side. That's how we'll get to the castle grounds. From there, we're going to take advantage of the fact that the Sparkle siblings are here and disguise themselves as them."

"Oh, I see. With the Canterlot police aiding the security, no one would question why Inspector Twilight and Lieutenant Spike are wandering around the castle," Starlight said.

"Or why they would go to where Rough Draft is since everyone inside knows he's the target," Sunset added.

"Hmmm. That sounds all well and clever, Shimmer, but how do you plan to leave with the prince?" Tempest asked.

"Uh, I haven't figured that out yet," Sunset admitted. "More than likely, they'll be holding him in one of the towers. Worst case scenario, we'll break a window in his room, use my grappling gun to safely take us down to the rooftops on the lower levels of the castle, and basically walk on the roofs back to the windmill and then walk back here on top of the aqueduct."

"I say that's risky, but that's nothing new when working with you, boss," Starlight said.

Sunset smirked at her friend before Tempest asked, "So, what am I doing?"

"You're going to be the lookout," Sunset answered. "If anything goes wrong, you're going to be the person we contact for help. We might be fighting our way to escape, so we'll look to you to come to our aid, sword ready."

Tempest frowned and said, "That's an insulting waste of my talents, but if that's what I need to do to get my thirty-five percent, then I'll do it."

"Excellent," Sunset said. "We'll begin the operation at ten tonight. Let's take that time to set up and rest before then."

"Sounds good, boss," Starlight said.

"Very well," Tempest said.

With that, Starlight opened the other case and started taking out the scuba gear and disguises while Tempest decided to take a nap while still on her chair. As her comrades were getting ready, Sunset turned to look at the castle again through the window. She took out her rose necklace from under her shirt and held it close to her as she looked at the towers where her beloved could be.

"Hang on, Rough Draft," she whispered. "I'm coming."