• Published 4th Sep 2020
  • 424 Views, 4 Comments

On Wings Of Black And White - DreadAngel1711



The comet of Hungaar has returned, bringing forth a black blight. It all comes down to a Unicorn and a Witch from beyond Equestria to restore Hungaar and free the land from its curse. But this time, friendship alone won't save us.

  • ...
1
 4
 424

Vacant Surrender

ENOUGH OF THIS!” Luna’s booming voice sent a powerful gust of wind through the now exposed cavern as she shoved Celestia and Starburst away from each other, standing up straight up “Is blowing up a mountain really the best way to resolve this!?”

“I…I didn’t do it.” Starburst said after taking a deep breath, staring to the ground “I don’t know what happened.”

“Luna, what are you doing here? What’s going on?” Celestia stepped forward.

“…I can’t explain here.” Luna said with a sigh “Where’s Mysteeri?”

“The offworlder? That’s her name?” Celestia continued to question.

“…Over there.” Was Starburst’s quiet and broken reply. Luna looked to the unicorn, then followed her gaze to see a beaten, battered, and bloodied pegasus lying on her side, wisps of smoke rising up from glimmering magic burns upon her coat.

“Oh my.” Luna rushed over to the pegasus “Is this…?”

“Yeah.” Starburst slowly nodded “I-I don’t know what to do.”

Luna looked up to the now exposed sky “She must have been the one to cause…this.” She looked back to the pegasus “Come, we must get her to a doctor immediately.” Luna’s horn illuminated its deep blue as she levitated the unconscious pegasus onto her back “Stand close to me.” She said to Starburst, before looking to Celestia “Sister, please, give her a chance. She is not the threat you think she is.”

Celestia let out a long sigh once her sister vanished with the other two in a flash of light, then turned her head behind her to an exposed outcrop of white gold.

Canterlot Royal Hospital A&E

Luna and Starburst appeared in a flash of light, much to the surprise of some of the ponies there. Upon the realisation that Princess Luna herself was present, a present doctor rushed over to her.

“P-Princess Luna!” He greeted her “Quite a surprise to see you here, what do you need?”

“I need you to help this pegasus immediately.” Luna turned to the side to reveal the still smoking Mysteeri, getting quite the alarmed look from the unicorn doctor “There was a…misunderstanding.”

The doctor took a brief look at Mysteeri’s wounds before nodding “Right. Come on, follow me. And keep her steady. Nurse!”

The next few minutes all just felt like a hazy blur to Starburst. She could see Luna talking to the doctor and his nurse as they lead them down some halls, but she couldn’t hear anything about it. Her eyes slowly went down Luna to focus on Mysteeri.

She looked terrible.

The smoke from the burns inflicted by Celestia’s magic was starting to fade, yet she still didn’t move an inch besides an occasional jostle from Luna’s movements.

The deep black pegasus’ foreleg suddenly twitched, her head slowly rising with her eye creeping open. She took one look at Starburst, then looked down the hall before releasing a single, extremely weak “Heh…” and her head immediately fell back down, eye slowly closing once more.

Starburst slid to a halt on the shining white floors as Luna was lead into a room. The nurse gave her a look as the doctor went in with her, head tilted.

“I just…need to sit down.” She said as she moved over to a nearby bench. The nurse nodded and closed the door behind her.

Starburst tried as best she could to make herself seem as small as possible in the cold, steel chair, burying her face into her hooves with a defeated whine.

It happened again.

She wasn’t there to protect her. Even with all her magic, all her spells, she just wasn’t there to help her.

And the last time she wasn’t there to protect someone….

Canterlot, several years ago, the Changeling Invasion

A deep purple unicorn, clad in the golden armour of the royal guard, chuckled through pained coughs as he dragged himself along the floor, covered in blood, dust and his armour completely smashed, he looked over his shoulder to see an armoured changeling, completely unscathed, creeping up on him.

Breaking out into a brief bout of pained laughter, the unicorn rolled onto his back “Oh, wow…that was cheap.” His blue eyes met the pure cyan of the changeling’s “Now you listen here, bucko. Any second now, my daughter is gonna come charging in here, screaming her head off…” A smile crept onto his face as he pushed himself up “And slaughter every. Single. One of you.”

The changeling elite couldn’t help but smile “Using your daughter as a weapon, hm? Not very fatherly.”

“The hell would you know about parenting, bug?” The unicorn guard spat at the giant insect, the saliva dripping off its cheek after it impacted “In fact, speaking of bug-“ he was interrupted by laboured coughing, to which the changeling just smirked as it wiped the unicorn’s spit off its cheek “Where’s your queen, shitting out more of you back home?”

“I wouldn’t besmirch Queen Chrysalis like that…” The changeling said as it lifted up a discarded guard’s broadsword in its magic grip “She’ll have that daughter of yours in shackles soon enough.”

The unicorn just chuckled in response.

“Well,” The changeling breathed as a nearby, discarded broadsword was picked up in his own magic grip “Where ever you ponies go, I’m sure it will be far more forgiving than what she will do with any survivors.”

The sunlight glistened off the silver sword as it was raised into the air, blade aimed square at the unicorn’s chest.


“How many are there!?” A snow white guard cried out as he impaled a changeling upon his spear “They just keep coming!”

“HOLD THE LINE!” Boomed out over the guards as a cannonball turned a horde of changelings into bloody chunks “NOT EVEN ONE MORE OF THOSE BUGS GETS THROUGH!”

A guard in much more regal armour ducked under a flying head that splattered against a wall, then turned his attention to another guard nearby “How’s the evacuation going?”

The younger guard, coat a bright mint green, shook his head “Not good, sir, with both Celestia and the Captain nowhere to be seen by anyone, everyone’s just doing what they end up thinking is best. No one knows where to send all the citizens. Not only that, the platoon we sent out still hasn’t returned.” He explained, to which the older of the two snarled and punched a wall.

“GODDAMNIT!” He screamed, the younger guard flinching in response, then his eyes shot back open “And what of that girl Nebula Dawn brought with him today?”

“Well…”

Several streets down

Starburst gasped for breath as she leaned against a wall, looking behind her to the pool of green blood and changeling guts left in her wake, then down to the cuts and bruises on herself. She hissed as she staggered away from the wall, shaking her head “Gotta be more somewhere…”

“H-Hello?”

Starburst’s ears pricked up upon hearing the voice of a young filly coming from a window. The curtains parted to reveal a young white pegasus with a light blue mane. Starburst slowly walked over to the window, unaware of the gore splattered over her face “Hey…are you alright?”

The young pegasus took a brief look at the blood covering Starburst, letting out a slight whine before answering “Are you a member of the guard?”

Starburst hesitated “…Not really. Just helping out.”

“Oh.” The filly said softly “Um…have you seen my mum?”

Starburst shook her head “Sorry, I can’t say I have. What does she look like?”

“Oh, um…” The pegasus looked away for a second, hoof on her chin, before looking back to Starburst “She looks like me. But bigger. And she always wears a black coat, like that cape you have on, when she goes outside.”

Starburst glanced back to her red cloak before turning her attention back to the filly “Why’d she leave you alone?”

“She…she said she was just going to the shop.” The pegasus leaned out of the window to point to a nearby flower shop “I’m old enough to be by myself for a bit, but, she never came back. And dad hasn’t come back from his trip, either. I’m scared.”

Starburst looked around before taking another step closer to the window “I’ll find your mum, kid, I promise. But until then, you answer the door to no one.”

“W-why?”

“There are some…bad people in town right now.” Starburst explained, still turning her head to look down the street “They make themselves look like other people to trick everyone. If your mum comes home, is there anything only you two would know?”

“Oh, um…” The pegasus paused, as if frozen as she thought “There is one thing. We have a special word, for if I feel scared of something.”

“Good.” Starburst nodded “If you see her, ask her for the special word.”

“I will.” The filly nodded.

“That’s a good girl. Stay safe.” Starburst smiled at the young pony as she turned away before breaking into a sprint through the street. Yet from then on, every street, every road, was completely empty, save for the remnants of the chaos that had previously run through the city.

The sounds of warfare still echoed from beyond sight, along with the panic of the city’s residents. Starburst slowed her sprint down to a jog, then a walk, looking around each street for anymore survivors, yet all she was met with was the howl of the wind that blew through the empty streets.

“Hello!?” The unicorn called out to no reply.

“Is anyone still here!?”

Nothing.

“Dad!?” She yelled out, voice echoing off the buildings “Can you hear me!?”

Her voice vanished into the air as she stepped out onto the bridge that lead to the castle, once again the breeze filling her ears. She looked along the bridge to see it was covered in the remains of a large fight between the guard and changelings, all of them, however, dead.

Save for one.

Starburst’s ears twitched at the sound of quiet, desperate breathing. In the middle of the bridge lay a purple unicorn, coat as rich in colour as her own, with a sword impaled through his chest.

…A purple unicorn…with a coat just like hers.

“DAD!” Starburst shrieked as she charged over, the impaled guard turning his head as best he could to see his daughter galloping towards him.

“Heheh, hey Starry.” He smirked “Sorry…shoulda told you to come with me. Typical, huh?” He coughed up a small trickle of blood as he laughed “Whole ass wedding going on, I go to get you a snack, and…heh, on my day off, too.”

“Don’t say that, Dad!” Starburst’s horn illuminated with its usual bright glow, the sword’s handle being lit with the same glow, only for the stallion to place his hoof on his daughter’s “W-Wha…”

“Kid, this is the end of the line for me.” Even as his eyelids grew heavy, his smile refused to falter “It’s not your fault.”

“Yes it is!” Starburst protested, warm tears running down her cheeks “I should have come with you! I could have protected you!”

“Protecting’s my duty, kid.” Her father shook his head, then looked straight up to the sky “You got so much potential in ya, ya know….” He slowly closed his eyes, keeping his hoof on Starburst’s “I’m proud of you.”

“Dad…?” Starburst whimpered as her father’s hoof slid off her leg, hitting the ground with a weak thump “Dad, wake up!”

No response.

“No…Dad, please…” Starburst lay her head against her father, sobbing into his side until the sound of approaching hooves caught her attention. She looked up to be met with a snow white pegasus in a black coat looking at her, head tilted.

Starburst’s whole body jerked as she found herself crashing back into the hospital’s hallway, being met with Luna staring at her, the princess breathing a sigh of relief as the unicorn looked up at her “Oh thank heavens…”

“W-What?” Starburst replied, wiping her eyes of tears.

“You were slipping into a nightmare.” Luna explained as she sat down beside her “I had no choice but to pull you out.”

Silence fell for a moment.

“I’m sorry.”

Starburst turned her head to the princess, her expression asking all the questions.

“I tried to pull you out before you got to the bridge. No pony should have to relive such an event.” Luna said, to which Starburst just looked back to the floor “…Perhaps we should talk about something else.”

“Mysteeri.” Starburst said, voice almost completely monotone “How is she?”

Just before Luna could answer, the doctor entered the hallway, levitating a clipboard in his magic “Well, we have some…interesting observations about her, to say the least.”

“Interesting?” Starburst questioned “Like what?”

“Well first, and most obvious, is that she’s enormous for a pegasus, almost abnormally so – if her wings weren’t as overgrown as they are, she wouldn’t be able to fly. I thought we were dealing with a new alicorn at first glance. Now, as for her wounds, well, they’re healing, but-“

“But what?” Starburst blurted out, quickly covering her mouth “Sorry…continue.”

“Of course.” The doctor nodded “They’re healing incredibly fast; her magic burns have completely faded already.”

“That’s impossible.” Luna said, “The calibre of burns she received should take days to recover from.”

“Well, somehow, she’s recovering at an incredible pace. Do either of you two know anything about it?” The doctor replied, to which Starburst and Luna looked back to each other after he asked the question.

“I detected the darkness itself within her in her dream – could that have something to do with it?” Luna asked. Starburst thought back through every single word Mysteeri had said – well, every word she could remember, when a single word echoed in her mind.

“Witch.”

“She said she’s a witch.” Starburst replied, to which Luna tilted her head “But she didn’t say what kind.”

“Perhaps whatever the source of her abilities is, it’s what allows her to heal faster.” Luna replied.

The doctor shrugged and scribbled something down on the paper “I’ll just have to put that down as magically enhanced healing, then.”

“Anything else?” Starburst asked.

“Well, other than how extremely…unique she is in terms of appearance, that’s all.” The doctor said “While her healing is much faster, I can’t give you a proper estimate on when she’ll wake up. I’ll just go check on her now.”

Starburst sighed as the doctor closed the door, giving Luna a glance. The shine had completely left the unicorn’s eyes.

“Starburst Nova, I…” The princess took a breath “From henceforth on, I will be by your side in your quest.”

“I have everything I need, but…” Starburst said “Not the white gold for my focusing lens. And with Mysteeri in here…”

“White gold, you said?”

A white pouch was suddenly levitated into Starburst’s vision, surrounded by a yellow glow.

She looked up to be met with Celestia standing across from her, horn illuminated with the same glow around the pouch. Starburst just sighed and dropped her head, the princess of the sun placing the pouch next to her as she did “What do you want?” Starburst grumbled.

“Miss Nova, I’ve come to apologise.” Celestia replied.

“For what?” Starburst looked back up “For nearly killing my friend? Or for getting my father killed?”

“Your father-“

“You let both yourself and the captain of your guard be knocked out for the entire changeling invasion!” Starburst suddenly screamed out, taking both princesses aback at the sudden outburst “My dad was killed because of your choices!”

“Miss Nova-“

“And how do you know my name!?” Starburst once again shouted out, jumping out of her seat.

“Miss Nova, I named you myself.” Celestia replied in her usual calm voice.

Starburst froze “W-Wait, what?”

Luna was silent in the back, her eyes glancing from her sister to Starburst as the unicorn recoiled back.

“Do you not remember going to my school, either?” Celestia questioned, Starburst shrinking away under her still calm gaze.

It sent a cold chill through Starburst’s body all the same.

“I’m not here to hurt you or your friend, Miss Nova.” Celestia said, to which Starburst slowly looked back up at her. Her expression was racked with confliction, the princess gesturing to the bench behind her “Please, sit, I’ll explain your name.”

Luna put a hoof on Starburst’s back as she sat back onto her spot on the bench, to which the unicorn seemed to lean into.

“Your father, as I’m sure you remember, was an esteemed member of the royal guard and was a candidate to become captain at some point in the future.” Celestia began, “But since your mother…passed when you were born, your father was uncertain on what to name you.”

“So…why did he ask you?” Starburst questioned.

Celestia smiled “He trusted me the most, is what he said.” She then released a deep sigh “I deeply, truly regret my actions on the day of the wedding, both on a professional and personal level. In my haste to teach my student and keep spirits up with the wedding itself, I let myself be defeated and the city run into chaos.”

“Of all the times to be away for something diplomatic…” Luna muttered under her breath.

“Starburst Nova.” Celestia said, bowing her head, to which the unicorn could only look on in confusion and slight shock “I deeply apologise for the death of your father.”

“I-I…” Starburst stammered.

“Miss, please, you can’t get up just yet!”

The sudden protesting from within the hospital room caught the attention of all three, Mysteeri staggering out the door as it swung open “Gimme a minute, OK!?” She barked, then looked to Starburst “Hey, listen…I’d take it if I were you.” Each breath she took was a wheeze, “You and I, Starburst, we really aren’t so different, but…look, I know it’s hard, but hating her, that’s not going to do you any favours.” She noticed Celestia looking to her “…Good fight.” She said before staggering back into her bed, the door swinging shut behind her.

“…I need some time alone.” Starburst said solemnly, dropping out of her seat and trudging off down the hall. The royal sisters exchanged a glance, then looked to the unicorn as she disappeared around a corner.

Canterlot Cemetery, 1 hour later

“Hey.”

Starburst sat down before a single headstone, gently placing a bundle of flowers before it, then looked up to the name engraved upon the white stone.

“Nebula Dawn.”

She sighed and looked back down “I know, it’s been a while. Things have…” Starburst took a deep breath before letting it out in a long sigh “been busy. Really busy. I’ve been up to a lot, met this cool girl, went through dark creatures, went through a demon, and…” She looked up to the comet “I don’t know what to do next. I need your help. You always knew what to do, but…now I don’t have you.”

Starburst looked to the headstone once more, dragging her hoof through the grass “And…I’m scared. I’m so fucking scared.” Her voice shook as her eyes began to water again “And I don’t know if I can do all this. Either we nail this and send the black creatures packing, or…I fuck everything up. And we all die.”

Silence, save for the wind.

“Give me a sign, something, I know you’ve got to be listening.” The unicorn begged to the stone, only to still be met with silence “Just…give me some kind of…help!”

The sound of hoofsteps in the grass behind her caught the mare’s attention. She slowly turned her head as the sound got closer, finally being met with…Mysteeri, the golden bracelets on her white forelegs glistening in the evening sun.

“…You should be resting.” Starburst murmured as she turned her head back to the headstone.

Mysteeri was silent as she sat next to Starburst, looking off into the distant horizon. The silence continued, until Starburst felt something on her back. Looking to Mysteeri, she saw the now pegasus had extended her wing over her, keeping her vision fixed square in the distance.

“…When Celestia said she named you – was there something important about that?” She questioned.

“…Yeah.” Starburst nodded “A pony’s name, depending on the parents, it’s…incredibly important and could shape their whole life. There’s….there’s always some kind of relation between the name and the cutie mark.” She said, looking to the exploding star on her flank “But, my mum…died when I was born, my dad asked Celestia to name me, and…then, thanks to her inaction and tests for Twilight…” Starburst paused “He died.”

“How long ago was that?” Mysteeri asked.

“…4 years ago now. I was 18.”

Mysteeri looked away from the horizon, but away from Starburst “I never told you the reason I cover my eye, did I?”

Starburst shook her head in response.

“When I was young, my mum died, too. I blamed myself for being too weak, for not being strong enough to protect the ones I cared about. I just…grew to hate everyone, pushed them all away.” She pushed her mane out of her face to reveal the bright blue eye Starburst had gotten only a glance at before “I was a kid, yeah, but you? Older than me, for one, and, listen, Starburst.”

“…Yeah?” The unicorn replied.

“It’s hard, but…don’t let yourself be fuelled by rage. And I know that’s rich coming from me, but-“ She stopped short, her expression reading like she’d drawn a blank before she sighed “Just…give her a chance, OK?”

“…I’m scared, Mysteeri.” Starburst whimpered.

“I know.” Mysteeri nodded “I’ll be there. I promise.”

The pegasus then produced the same white pouch Celestia had presented earlier “And you should probably take this.”

Starburst took the pouch in her magic, opening it to reveal a bar of white gold “…She did this?”

“Mhm.” Mysteeri nodded “So…you ready for tomorrow?”

“…Yeah.” Starburst nodded, leaning into the fluff on Mysteeri’s chest, to which the witch simply smiled.