• Published 4th Sep 2020
  • 422 Views, 4 Comments

On Wings Of Black And White - DreadAngel1711



The comet of Hungaar has returned, bringing forth a black blight. It all comes down to a Unicorn and a Witch from beyond Equestria to restore Hungaar and free the land from its curse. But this time, friendship alone won't save us.

  • ...
1
 4
 422

Where Evil Grows

The cold, harsh wind blew on the long road between Canterlot and Ponyville, the overcast sky shrouding it in a cold shade. The howling wind sends dead leaves tumbling across the icy grass, only to be blown back by the desperate dash of a mare with a deep purple coat with a vibrant sky blue mane and tail, her ragged cloak blowing behind her, obscuring her view as she looks back to see creatures of pure darkness chasing her, whatever she could make out of their facial expressions she could only see mad smiles and evil glares. Her gaze turned skyward to the white streak that tore through the sky visible through a large tear in the cloud cover. Before she could return her eyes to the road, she let out a yell as she tripped over an exposed root and slammed face first into the cold, rough floor.

Quickly righting herself, she immediately found herself surrounded by the creatures that had previously pursued her, a spine-tingling wave of terror shooting through her every nerve as they slowly encroached upon her. Looking toward the distant castle for a second, she then focused on the power in her horn with a bright purple ring filled with runes and other bizarre signs rupturing out of the ground beneath her.

“Hon Dii Rein, Vul Kendov…” She recited, a purple flame licking from the runes.

“Vokrii Un Gol…” with each word, a crack appeared in the very air above them, creating sounds as if the very fabric of reality itself was straining around its existence.

“Nol Fin Not Lid! Great Warrior of the Night, aid our fight!” The runes sent up a blinding flash of purple light into the crack, shattering it open to reveal a vortex of space…and a slowly increasing scream.

Out of the void fell an estranged figure to the land of Equestria, a girl who walked on two legs with dark skin, a wild head of purple and pink hair that covered one eye. As she fell, her usual clothes were covered by a swirling darkness that turned into a pure black suit that covered her whole body, adorned with silver lines and decorations. She slammed into the ground, knee bent and head lowered. A powerful, freezing wind covered the area as she stood, revealing her towering height over everything around her.

Without a word, she seemed to ignore the beings of darkness that surrounded her, instead scanning the environment with crossed arms, which were gloved with gold rings on her wrists. An annoyed grunt escaped her as she turned around, continuing to observe the area “Where the hell am I?” She mused aloud, her attention turning to the approaching sound of galloping hooves.

“I’m so sorry for the sudden summon to my world, great warrior!” The unicorn stared up at the summoned fighter, her revealed golden eye glaring down at her two purple ones “For you see…we are in grave danger! But-“

“Hang on.” The upright woman interrupted, turning around to take in the monsters before returning to address the unicorn “I’ll be right with ya.” She turned into a blur of black death, purple explosions detonating where each of the monsters stood that shook the ground with tremendous force.

The Unicorn struggled to maintain her balance as the blasts went off, the fighter she summoned reappearing in front of her as the smoke cleared, revealing the shadow monsters had vanished completely.

“Heh, didn’t even see me.” The woman then snapped her head to stare down at the unicorn, a brief spark of magic popping out of the Unicorn's horn as the glare hit her “Now, you got some explaining to do, missy.” Her voice went from confident to a chilling menace, the shade cast upon her face making the unicorn’s very bones go cold as ice.

Finally, the unicorn cleared her throat after backing up sufficiently “My…my name, miss, is Starburst Nova. I am a Unicorn from the nearby town of Ponyville and I need your help!”

“Great…” Her summoned aid rolled her eyes “Contract work…”

“I apologise deeply for interrupting your training!” Starburst Nova knelt down before her, the woman’s face contorting into a glower. “But please, hear my plea!”

The woman looked away for a second, dropping her disgusted expression before looking back to Starburst “Fine, fine, I’ll hear ya out.” She uncrossed her arms, putting her hands on her hips “And stand up, I hate it when people bow to me.”

“O-Of course. Thank you.” Starburst cleared her throat once more as she stood upright “This great land of Equestria is currently being visited by the great comet Hungaar, it visits only once every 20,000 years. However, something has infested its great name, as ever since it has appeared, those vile beasts that surrounded us have been appearing! I’ve been trying to warn others, I was on my way to ask for an audience with Princess Luna about the threat, until I was forced to summon you thanks to their attack.”

“So I presume you want me to help instead?” The woman tilted her head.

“Yes.” Starburst nodded “Now that I have summoned a being from outside this world, I have to bear the responsibility of my actions. If I went to the princesses now, they would certainly be able to detect what I have done.” Starburst looked away for a moment, then returned to direct eye contact with her summon “May I ask your name?”

There was a brief pause.

“Mysteeri.” Mysteeri replied sternly “Mysteeri York.” She glanced down to her suit “Witch.”

“Thank you, Mysteeri.” Starburst briefly bowed, squeaking as she realised her error and quickly correcting it “So…will you help me rid this land of that vile darkness?”

Mysteeri shifted her weight to the opposite foot, eyebrow raised “Considering I’m someone with an affinity with darkness, why summon me and not someone with the power over light?”

Starburst sighed “I will explain at my house. Please, Mysteeri, help me in defeating it and I will reward you generously.”

With a loud and very exasperated sigh, Mysteeri put her hands up “Fine, I’ll help.”

Starburst’s face lit up with pure glee at those words “Thank you, Mysteeri! Thank you! With the two of us together, we’ll win for sure!”

Mysteeri responded with silence and crossed arms.

“I shall lead the way to my home!” Starburst turned around and began trotting along the path back to Ponyville, only to come to a sudden halt a few feet away “Hang on…my house is quite far from the entrance to Ponyville from this path. And you’re…” She looked Mysteeri up and down, humming to herself.

“Huge? Yeah, that’s just me.” She shrugged “I could sneak in, considering I’m wearing all black, but…”

“I’ve got it!” Mysteeri’s thoughts were interrupted by Starburst’s sudden jolt of inspiration “I can’t believe I forgot, I know an invisibility spell!”

“Quite a bit of a scatterbrain, aren’t ya?” Mysteeri thought as Starburst trotted back over.

“Follow me to Ponyville, I’ll cast the spell when we get close!” She walked behind the witch and began pushing, Mysteeri grumbling as she broke off from the unicorn’s push. Starburst began walking alongside her, Mysteeri giving her another look and noticing a star with many pinks, blues and purples mixed together inside it upon her upper left leg.

“What’s that tattoo?” She asked, head tilted.

Starburst looked to the mark and chuckled “Oh, this isn’t a tattoo, those aren’t very common. We call these cutie marks, they denote a pony’s special talent!”

Mysteeri responded with a shrug, yet kept looking.

“In my case, this supernova is my ability to control extremely powerful magic. A summoning spell like the one I used to summon you isn’t something everypony can do, you know.” Starburst continued, proudly putting a hoof to her chest. Mysteeri nodded and looked back to the path.

The two continued the walk back to Ponyville in pure silence, Starburst trying to come up with conversation starters only to discard them before she could even speak a word. After a while, they eventually came close to the vibrant and lively Ponyville, its colours not impeded by the overcast, shadowy weather. “Alright! We’re here! Welcome to Ponyville!” Starburst beamed, Mysteeri scrunching up her face in apparent confusion “What’s wrong?”

“Something about this place…it feels off.” Mysteeri said slowly and quietly “I can’t put my finger on it.”

“Well, you are from another world.” Starburst shrugged “You’ll get used to this place eventually.” She then stood in front of Mysteeri, her horn glowing a vibrant pink “Now, hold still and I’ll turn ya invisible!” There was a flash of light and the next Starburst opened her eyes, the witch that once stood before her had completely vanished…somewhat. From where she was standing, there was a very faint outline of Mysteeri, creating an odd shimmer on the areas behind her “Well, it worked well enough! Now come on, it should last long enough to get to my place. Oh, and be sure to be quiet.”

The trek through Ponyville was a cautious one, Mysteeri following closely behind her equine guide as she weaved through the streets and around the small crowds of friends that gathered here and there, the witch narrowly avoiding tripping over an orange filly with a purple mane that pranced around her before dashing off.

“Kids, huh?” Starburst giggled as they walked up to a fairly standard house in the village, nearby stood the remains of a burnt and beat up tree, Mysteeri briefly giving it a glance until her attention was taken by a jolt of magical lightning, her body snapping back into visibility.

“Uh oh.” Starburst fumbled to open the door, slamming it open and forcing Mysteeri inside, throwing it shut with a mighty force “Phew…OK…I don’t think anyone saw you.” She then noticed the continued presence of Mysteeri’s full body black as night suit “Hmm, I didn’t see you come in from the portal wearing that, is it important?”

Mysteeri looked at her gloved hand and shrugged “Guess I forgot to take it off.”

Silence.

“Well?”

Mysteeri’s neutral expression turned to a frown “I’m trying, it’s usually as simple as just thinking that I want it off, but…it ain’t working.” She grabbed onto her shoulder and pulled, pulling up a bit of the suit before letting it go, where it loudly snapped back into place “Whatever, I don’t mind wearing this anyway.” She scanned the room for somewhere to sit down, throwing herself onto the large seat by the fireplace “So…your plan for this comet?”

Starburst hopped onto another chair “So, in Ponyville we have six ponies who wield the Elements of Harmony.”

“And I thought that necklace that channeled the power of love had a weird name…” Mysteeri muttered under her breath.

“They represent the elements of friendship and can banish any kind of evil with ease. So, my plan is for you and me to ask for the aid of each of the ponies who wield the elements so we can banish the evil from the comet on its closest approach!” Starburst explained, holding up a book that showcased six gems of different colours in its pages.

“And how long’s that gonna take?” Mysteeri replied, lounging across the arms of the chair.

“Five-“ She was interrupted by a knocking at the door, immediately dropping the book onto a nearby table “Quick! Hide!”

Mysteeri dashed into the shadow in the corner of the room, seeming as if she disappeared into it completely. Starburst cleared her throat and adjusted her mane as she approached the door, carefully placing her hoof upon it before swinging it open.

“Hi, Starburst!” She was met by a lavender coated Alicorn with a mane and tail of various pinks and purples who wore a large, friendly smile.

Starburst let out another yelp of shock and staggered backwards “T-Twilight! Heheh, wasn’t expecting to see you again so soon! What brings you here?”

Twilight gently tilted her head as she began to speak “I felt a very powerful magical power coming from the road to Canterlot just a while ago now, I went to where it came from and found odd tracks that lead back to Ponyville. I’ve already asked a few other Unicorns about it, but they don’t know anything.” She briefly glanced past Starburst, a cold wind running over her...as if she was being watched from the shadows.

“Really?” Starburst chuckled again “I…don’t know anything of the sort, I heard an odd noise but I haven’t left my home all afternoon!”

“Strange, the tracks were very elongated-“ Twilight froze as a wave of strange magic flew past her, narrowing her eyes at the spot she felt the presence staring at her “That’s odd…”

“What is?” Starburst stepped to the side, blocking Twilight’s view of the corner her accomplice was hidden in “Feel something?”

“Actually, yeah, I did.” Twilight nodded “It’s that strange magic again and it came right from in your house.”

“Shit…” Mysteeri curled her lip.

“Starburst, can I please have a look? It might be something dangerous. Just as a precaution.” Twilight questioned.
Starburst looked behind her to the corner, she couldn't see her, but she knew Mysteeri was staring right back at them. Looking back to Twilight, she hesitated for a moment before standing back.

“Thank you, this won’t take-“ She was interrupted by a small, cat-like…thing dashing from the shadows and up the stairs, sending books and cups flying across the room “Hey, wait!” Twilight called out, sprinting after the small creature. She saw a fluffy pure black cat with pink stripes on its head perched on the windowsill of the upstairs hallway, giving her a brief hiss before it jumped out and transformed into something with a jet black body, only to fall straight to the ground with a loud slam.

“What the hell?” Mysteeri groaned as she got to her feet, back in her human form “Why didn’t I fly?”

“Aha!” Twilight jumped from the window and landed beside the witch “Got you! …Wwwwhatever you are!”

Mysteeri immediately leapt back, assuming an imposing fighting stance.

Starburst poked her head out the window to observe the staredown “Sorry, Mysteeri!”

“For what?!” Mysteeri yelled back.

“Your powers, I put a dampener on them after you took out those shadows so you weren’t able to be detected as easy!”

“Well that sure fuckin’ worked!” Mysteeri snapped, turning her attention back to the Alicorn across from her “Listen up, buttercup, I ain’t here of my own free will, so it’s best you don’t get in my way.”

“Wow, you’re on edge.” Twilight eased up her stance “Hey, don’t worry, I won’t hurt you. If my friend Starburst was hiding you, then she must have a good reason!”

“Ehhh…” Starburst rounded the corner, gently dragging one of her hooves across the grass “About that magical stuff you felt…”

Twilight turned to Starburst “Don’t tell me, that was you?”

“Yeah.” Starburst nodded, a bashful smile on her lips “Sorry.”

Twilight shook her head “Starburst, I understand you want to try out all the best spells you can get your hands on, but you know it’s forbidden to summon someone from another world. Think of the consequences our world could have on them!” She briefly turned her head to Mysteeri, then back to Starburst “Please tell me you have a good reason for this.”

Before Starburst could answer, the same cold wind that followed her down the path earlier blew through the street, the same beasts of darkness that had previously pursued the Unicorn emerging from all the dark crevices and hiding spots they could, surrounding the three of them in an instant.

“Starburst…!” Mysteeri snarled “Could really go without that dampener right about now!”

“On it!” Starburst responded as a flash of pink popped out from her horn, Mysteeri’s body briefly crackling with bright pink electricity, swiftly followed by her dashing from monster to monster, disposing of them with a speed and brutality that left Twilight and Starburst awestruck, the Witch leaving no moment of hesitation to finish smash the beasts back into shadowy wisps.

Mysteeri came sliding to a stop beside them, crossing her arms as the remains of her victims disappeared into the ground “That should hold ‘em off for now. Clearly they got our scent.” She scowled “They’ll be back. And tougher.” She looked over her shoulder to Starburst “For now, we need to work on those elements you mentioned.”

“Elements?” Twilight asked “The Elements of Harmony?”

Starburst nodded “Yep! We were just talking about them when you arrived!”

“Why do you need them?” Twilight questioned, head once again tilted.

“Well…”

Mysteeri stood against the wall of the house as Starburst explained the situation to Twilight, feeling an odd itch appear on her back, but it vanished as quickly as it came.

“Well, Mysteeri!” Twilight jolted her out of her focus on the strange itch “Considering what I just saw in you protecting your new friend, you have my full support in this!”

“Really?” Mysteeri crossed her arms once more “No questions about why we want to blast a comet? Nothing about where I’m from?”

“Well, not right now.” Twilight smiled awkwardly “I’m afraid I have some matters to attend to, but I’ll definitely have to ask you about where you’re from when I have the time! Starburst says she’ll be your guide around Ponyville, my friends have the other Elements of Harmony and I’d love to help you, but like I said, I…have a ton of work to do. Way too much, really, but I know they’ll come around!”

“Riiiight…” Mysteeri slowly nodded “And this whole issue?” She gestured to her appearance “Not exactly seeing anyone like me around here.”

“Oh. Uhh…” Twilight hummed “Well, as long as you don’t cause too much mayhem, I’m sure if you just sneak around with Starburst, you’ll be fine. So long as the Royal Guard…” She trailed off before quickly returning to her full voice “Anyway! You two have fun! See ya later, Starburst!” She galloped off before taking flight into the night sky, the witch and Unicorn watching her go before turning to each other.

“Well, that one was easy!” Starburst smiled.

Mysteeri responded with a nod, then a yawn escaped her “Crap…that took more out of me than I thought.”

“Well, luckily for you my guest room should be able to fit you!” Starburst joked “Come on, I’m beat!”

Mysteeri scratched her head as she followed Starburst back into the house, unaware of the tiniest of feathers that had sprouted on her back.

Author's Note:

Hey! This is my first MLP fic, but I have many, many years of prior experience. Mysteeri is a character of my own, as is Starburst. Unfortunately it didn't seem like there was an "original universe" tag for the crossovers, so I just had to leave it as is.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed that first chapter, I'm always open to feedback!