• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 4,594 Views, 88 Comments

Ned Stark in Equestria - ProbablyHuman



Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell suffers an unfortunate plot twist and winds up in Equestria.

  • ...
6
 88
 4,594

2 - In Which Twilight Sparkle Gets Insufficient Rest

Twilight

Twilight Sparkle was up late studying, reading an old tome on advanced Abjuration theory. The only thing that was particularly unusual about this was that she was having trouble focusing on it. The attempted invasion of Canterlot by the Changelings the month before weighed on her mind, and it was bothering her. My friends didn't trust my judgement on the fake Cadance, she mused, and even after I had proof, we weren't able to do anything about it.

With a sigh, Twilight put down her book, and walked over to her bed. She could hear Spike snoring in the other room. Climbing into bed, she looked over at the clock on her wall. One thirty-two AM. Ok, wow, I really need to get some sleep. She tossed and turned for a time, trying to get comfortable. Eventually, she managed to doze off, and dreams followed soon after.


"First, we take Canterlot! And then, all of Equestria!"

Twilight watched in horror. Her brother was hypnotized by the Changeling Queen's magic, and was unable to defend the city with his shield. All seemed lost.

And then Princess Celestia walked up. "No. You won't," she stated, plainly. Continuing, her anger began to rise "You may have made it impossible for Shining Armor to perform his spell, but now that you have so foolishly revealed your true self, I can protect my subjects from you!"

Celestia shot a beam of pure energy from her horn, and the Changeling Queen countered. It seemed as if Celestia would triumph easily, at first. She controls the Sun, she's the Princess, she's immortal, over a thousand years of experience- suddenly, the Changeling Queen began to hold her own, and push back, she can't lose, she can't-

Twilight blinked, and it was over. Celestia was on the floor, exhausted. She was dimly aware of shouting her teacher's name, and of the boasting Queen, confident in her victory. The immortal princess whispered to Twilight and her friends. "The Elements of Harmony", she wheezed, "You must get to them, and use their power to defeat the queen."

Twilight ran, frightened but determined, and her friends followed.

It only occurred to Twilight later that the Changeling Queen could have killed them when she and her friends tried in vain to retrieve the Elements. Her mentor, brother, and her favorite foal sitter could have all died that day. If not for the Changeling Queen’s arrogance, she could have easily butchered them then and there, and would have in all likelihood successfully conquered Equestria.


Twilight woke suddenly, practically jumping out of her bed. Her mind raced, but she managed to shut out the worries and replace them with less negative thoughts. It's okay; calm down, that was a month ago. There have been no signs of activity from the Changeling Wastes since then, it turned out ok, that mess is over.

Still, she was concerned. There wasn't much info in her library about the Changeling Wastes or its Queen Chrysalis, whose name she's only learned after a fair bit of research. That this Queen Chrysalis had been able to defeat the Princess was concerning, to say the least. Even though she had extra magic reserves by consuming Shining Armor's love while disguised as Cadance, Twilight was sure she shouldn't have been able to be able to overwhelm Celestia all by herself.

I should have just asked Celestia about what happened, Twilight thought. I doubt I could do anything much to help, though. I'm already her student, and the Element of Magic as well. She'd ask for my assistance if she needed it.

Taking a few deep breaths, she managed to calm herself, and walked over to pick up a book Pinkie Pie had given her recently on positive thinking. I've got to thank her for that; this technique really works. Resting in her bed once more, she began rereading the introduction chapter.

Twilight looked up at the clock some time later. Three forty-seven AM? Ugh, I'm not going to be able to function tomorrow whatsoever at this rate, even if I do sleep in. Putting the book down beside her bed, she lay back closed her eyes, hoping she'd be able to stay asleep this time. Just as she was drifting off to sleep, there was a loud noise from above her head, as if something had fallen from a great height and landed in the branches above the Ponyville Library.

This was quickly followed by a series of noisy thumps and grunts of pain as whatever it was rolled out of the top of the tree, landing unceremoniously on her balcony with a thud. What the hay was that?, Twilight wondered, half-awake. Getting up once more, she walked over to the balcony door, opening it with her hoof.

A large creature lay sprawled unconscious on the balcony. The creature had hair only visible atop its head and around its mouth and chin. It was also covered almost entirely with clothes made of an odd material she could not recognize. It wears clothes, so I can assume it's an intelligent species, but what's with its short forelimbs? It looks vaguely like some sort of ape with—what are they called again—hands? But apes are only found in jungles, and they certainly don't wear clothes. What is this thing?

Her previous exhaustion all but forgotten, Twilight examined the creature with her magic. What she noticed made her jaw drop nearly to the floor. The thing, whatever it was, had no inherent magical field. All living creatures in Equestria, probably the world, had a magic field of some sort. For example, Earth ponies have an inherent magical connection to the ground and living things, and Pegasi have inherent magic that helps them fly and move clouds. For that matter, it'd be absolutely impossible for it to have been flying above my house and crash land, since it has no wings or magic to keep it aloft. As an afterthought, she noticed that while it had no magic of its own, it did have some residual magic on it, as if somepony had recently used a powerful spell on it/

A being without a magic field couldn't possibly be alive. All life in Equestria had at least some sort of magical field, no exceptions! But the creature was still breathing, despite its clear and distinct lack of any magic of its own. Her mind racing with the implications of this paradox, Twilight picked it up with her magic, and lifted it into her home. Pulling out the sleeping bag she’d used when Rarity and Applejack had slept over half a year ago, she was about to lay the creature down to rest, only to realize it would be far too small for the creature. She decided that it could use the sleeping bag as a pillow, and rolled it up with her magic, putting the large mysterious animal down with its head resting on the sleeping bag.

It was then that she gave the odd thing a closer look. From the somewhat wrinkled skin of its face, Twilight deduced that it was probably past its youth, though likely not yet into old age. An odd scar stretched all the way around its neck. Twilight knew she was far too tired to be using her magic like she was, but it was simply too interesting to pass up investigating more closely. Plus, she wanted to check to see if the thing had a concussion or broken bones from its landing, which was quite likely as it had been knocked unconscious, probably from the impact with her balcony/

Using her magic to examine the creature, Twilight quickly detected that while while it was bruised from his landing, and had several shallow cuts from the branches, the creature wasn’t seriously injured, and appeared to be in fairly good health. Judging by its facial hair and squarish bone structure, Twilight decided it was probably a ‘he’, though she wasn’t entirely positive about this, and she certainly wasn’t about to check to make sure. She was feeling slightly woozy from exhaustion, but she pushed thoughts of sleep aside, and continued her examination.

After making sure he wasn’t in any medical danger, she examined the scar on his neck more closely with her magic. It was then Twilight got the most shocking surprise of the night.

Around the scar on his neck, his whole neck was off by a few millimeters, and there was a faint glow of residual magic in that area of his body. It was as if his whole head had been chopped off, then reattached and healed. But that was clearly impossible; nothing could survive that. But that was exactly what it looked like had happened, and she couldn’t think of any other way such a bizarre scar could have been made.

It was then, due to shock, confusion, and sheer tiredness, that Twilight Sparkle lost consciousness, collapsing to the floor beside the alien form of Eddard Stark.