• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 4,594 Views, 88 Comments

Ned Stark in Equestria - ProbablyHuman



Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell suffers an unfortunate plot twist and winds up in Equestria.

  • ...
6
 88
 4,594

0 - Prologue

A Note from the authors, ProbablyHuman and The Sweezlenub: We do not own MLP:FiM or A Song of Ice and Fire. That would be Hasbro and George R. R. Martin, respectively, and we have no intention of profiting from their work. It won’t be as dark as the ASoIaF series, nor as bright and cheerful as MLP:FiM. Please don’t sue. Also, spoiler warning for if you're not through the book A Game of Thrones, or the first season of the show. Apologies to George R. R. Martin.


Equestria, as well as most of the wide world around it, had been at peace for a millennium. The War of the Sun and Moon had passed into history long ago, largely forgotten by most ponies. The short-lived return of Nightmare Moon, followed by her defeat by the famed but largely mysterious Elements of Harmony, and her recovery as Princess Luna, had been in the newspapers for some time. The Night Court eventually was reinstated, and new representatives elected. That whole ordeal lasted months, and was frequently discussed from Vanhoover all the way to Appleoosa.

Things had just begun to settle down in Canterlot when another disaster struck—the ancient spirit of chaos, Discord, awoke. He rapidly sent all of Equestria into a panic. Floods of chocolate milk from cotton candy rain killed crops throughout the nation. City blocks were leveled, and riots briefly erupted in Baltimare and Manehattan. Equestria was, for a short time, brought to its knees; it seemed not even the wise Princess Celestia, nor her younger sister Princess Luna, were able to do much to halt the madness.

But the Elements, it is said, stopped Discord, in a showdown in the small, peaceful town of Ponyville. Peace returned to the land for a time. There were grumblings that the Princesses and the government were incapable of keeping the realm safe, but after a thousand years of peaceful monarchy, few wished to openly criticize the long and largely successful rule of Celestia. While many were concerned for their safety in these changing times, none were sure what could be done about it when their mighty Princesses and the Royal Guard seemed unable to protect the people. Many blamed Luna’s return, but few openly discussed this, and fewer still were willing to criticize Princess Celestia, who had ruled so well for so long.

The Changeling invasion of Canterlot, the very seat of the Equestrian government, shook things up even further. While the invaders were driven back, it was generally known to be through the heroics of the young Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor. The Princesses, on the other hoof, and even the Elements of Harmony, had been unable to stop the Changeling Queen. Some even claimed that Celestia had confronted the Queen of the Changelings and lost. The details of how the changelings had so effectively broken through the magic barrier around the city was kept quiet, as were the circumstances that drove the Changeling horde back. For the first time since the end of the War of the Sun and Moon, many ponies openly voiced distrust of their government.

Pax Equestria was drawing to a close. The end of a long peace, and the beginning of a time of great turbulence.

This story is not just about Equestria, though. One of the major players in the events of this tale had lived his entire life in another world. He was not a pony, but a member of an odd, rather violent race known as mankind. The world he came from was a bloody and rather primitive place. He was a powerful and influential man in this world, a man of honor in a world with few honorable men left in it. This story begins with his death.

This is the story of Ned Stark in Equestria.