• Published 3rd Aug 2020
  • 753 Views, 27 Comments

A Pony Among Humans and Robots - DILLYbOd



Pinkie finds herself in a world inhabited by humans and robots.

  • ...
4
 27
 753

Chapter 4

Jerry's corpse lies on the floor of the dining car. Pinkie’s eyes softly tremble as she stares at his hollow unlit eyes. She tightens her grip on her backpack’s straps. Even though she barely met him, she still feels sorrow for the loss of his life.

“Miss. Pinkie?” She looks over her shoulder and sees Wadsworth hovering outside the dining car. “We should get a move on.” He looks around. “Things seem to not feel right.” One of his eyes stares at the raging inferno engulfing the distant train station. “The authorities should’ve been here by now…” He lets out a static-filled sigh. “We should get to the city as soon as we can.”

Pinkie looks back at the dead robot. She rubs her head; another headache racks her brain. She thinks about the past several hours. The abandoned cabin, Wadsworth slowly dying down in its basement, the empty train station… the crazed conductor… She lets out a sigh. “I hope someone can help us?” She steps down onto the gravel surrounding the train tracks. “How much further do we have?”

Wadsworth looks south. “I believe another hour or less.”

Pinkie glares at the horizon. Through the heavy marine layer, she sees skyscrapers’ fuzzy silhouettes against the bluish sky. Taking a deep breath, she makes her way up the dry grassy hill to the paved road. “Let's get to it!” She smiles. “I know that things will get better when we get to San Francisco!” She yells the name out loud. A spur of happiness washes over her. Deep down, she wants the city to excite her, but a cynical, nagging feeling keeps creeping into her mind.


A drone looks down upon Pinkie and Wadsworth. Its camera focuses on the duo as they walk along the paved road leading to the Golden Gate Bridge.


John keeps his gaze on the controller's screen. His mind wants to reject what he sees, but the more he tries to explain it away, the more reality comes a-knocking. He cycles through all the camera modes of his drone – hoping that it’s just image artifacts on the lens, but alas, the bipedal pony is displayed on the screen.

His droid companion is having the most challenging time dealing with the image on the controller’s screen. “Impossible!” Beta-012 grumbles. “Impossible!” It hovers around John’s head. “Alien life of that nature shouldn't exist!” Its gravitational manipulators' pulses from its stress. “Logic dictates that her if it is a ‘her’… EER!!! Her hooves should not be able to keep her upright like that!”

John ignores the droid’s internal crisis. He focuses the image on the bipedal pony strolling down the road beside a Mr. Handy bot. Her curvy hourglass frame and her stride say she’s delicate, a lightweight, with long legs to support that frame... ‘Beta-012 is right…’ Her legs were peculiar. They’re built just like human legs, but her hooves were large to accompany her upright posture – larger than any hooved animal on Earth.

Who is he kidding; clearly, she’s an alien and one that’s walking and talking with a Mr. handy bot. How she’s talking with it, he doesn't know. The odds of her language matching its programmed language, most likely being English is bonkers.

“And it’s talking with a Mr. Handy!” Beta-012 grumbles. “I bet that bucket of bolts doesn’t even understand her!”

“I think you’re just shocked that you’re seeing an alien… In the flesh.” John smirks.

Beta-012 glares at John – its glowing eye flickering. “I do not doubt the chance for alien life to exist. Frankly, the math supports it, but she! Her anatomy! She shouldn’t exist!” Its body vibrates.

“And yet here she is before our very eyes…” John moves the drone to get a better angle on her face. From what he can see, her eyes are bright blue, full of expression, and large… Twice the size of his. Zooming in the image, he tries to read her facial expression, but can’t see due to the slight haziness from the heat radiating off the asphalt she's walking on. Her posture, however, is easier to read. From what he can tell, she looks tired, yet excited.

He looks up from the controls and stares at the Golden Gate Bridge. Feeling the salty wind striking his face, he lets out a long sigh and maneuvers the drone to see where they are heading.

“Pink! Her fur is PINK!” Beta-012’s speed increases as it hovers in circles behind John. “Pink! Pink! Pink! PINK!!!....” The bright blue glow in its eye fades. Its gravity manipulators stop spinning as it crashes onto the balcony floor.

John looks over his shoulders and sees the powered off droid. “Really?” He lets out a chuckle. “You bluescreened yourself.” A low hum comes from within Beta-012 as a spinning ring of white light fades in and out around its eye’s outer edge. “At least your reboot kicked in automatically.” He puts the drone in monitor mode. “You’re a pain to reboot manually!” He picks up Beta-012 and heads down the lighthouse's spiral staircase to the concrete courtyard just outside Alcatraz’s main cell block.

Wandering into the prison's central lobby, he walks up the spiral staircase to his right all the way to the third floor. Getting to the floor, he walks down the hall and steps into a room that was once the warden’s office. Setting down Beta-012 on a table in the right-hand corner, he sits at a desk facing the window overlooking the Oakland side of the bay.

Staring at his twenty-inch wide monitor, John messes with the mouse, causing the screen to come to life. An array of desktop icons lay before him. Mindlessly humming to himself, he opens one of the icons. A desktop window opens up, showing an image of what his webcam sees. He stares right back at himself. His brown eyes glare at him, judging his existence – tired and worn. “I don’t look a day over thirty…” It didn’t help that his beard is adding a few extra years. “More like thirty-three…”

He sighs as he rests his head in his left hand and hovers the mouse icon over the record button beside the image screen. He stares at it for a while, contemplating what he wants to do…

CLICK!

“March 12th, 2065… Operations Director for Alcatraz outpost…” He stares at his eyes as they glare back at him with incredible dullness. “The only member of the group as of now.” He opens a folder and skims through the many files within until finding what he needs. “Dropping data logs from last week. Hope the council finds it interesting…” He puts his microphone on mute. “If they ever respond.” He looks over at his drone’s controller and stares at its display screen. He sees the pony and the Mr. Handy bot making their way towards the Golden Gate Bridge.

Beta-012 lets off a soft ping as its reboot finishes.

John smiles as he sees the pony clearly in a giddy filled conversation with the Mr. Handy bot.

Beta-012 rises from the table beside John. Its eye flickers on and off before it looks over at him. “Did you turn me off?!”

John looks over at his computer screen. “No, you blue screened yourself.” He sees that his recording is off. “You were up n’ arms over her fur color.” He points at the drone’s controller.

Beta-012 stares at the controller and sees the pony skipping around the Mr. Handy bot. “You know I have no arms.”

“And now you’re being snarky.” He looks back at his computer screen and stares at himself in the small rectangular box.

“Are you going to tell the council about our alien discovery?” Beta-012 asks as it sticks a USB drive into the drone’s controller.

John looks at the controller watching the recording data transferring to the USB-drive. “No, not yet.”

“No?” Beta-012 stares at its master. “Why not?”

“You of all droids would be one to want more data, no?” John asks as he sends his recording to the council before shutting off his computer.

Beta-012 looks around, contemplating his words. “Yes, that is true… but…”

“But nothing!” John picks up the drone’s controller. “Council’s busy enough as is, and why not take the time to study our little pony friend. The more we know, the better.” He heads out of the cell-block and walks down the worn asphalt road winding down the island’s slopes to the docks below.

“Your logic is sound, but…” Beta-012 sighs. “Never mind, you’ll do what you want anyway.” He floats beside him. “May I ask, why are we heading to the dock?” It groans as it gets in front of John, stopping him in his tracks. “Please don’t tell me you plan on making contact with her?”

John looks at the floating, overly intelligent ‘light bulb’ with a flat scowl. “From the direction, they are walking, they are heading towards the Golden Gate Bridge…” He looks towards the towering bridge in the distance. “If they start wandering into the city…” John goes silent as he stares at the two figures on the screen. He notices that they’re only two-hundred yards or so from the bridge.

“Are you sure you want to alert her of our presence?”

John bites his cheek. “It’s better than watching her die from the corrupted wandering the city.” He looks at the skyscrapers through the dense fog that’s rolling through the streets. “Let's just stay on the boat just in case…”


Pinkie stands before the Golden Gate Bridge.

She shivers as she takes in all its splendor and glory.

Several cars and trucks of varying shapes and sizes dotting the road lay in a spectrum of decay. Pinkie’s lips go flat. Again, she notices the striking similarities with the putter wagons back home. Granted, the cars and trucks are more elegant and modern in their design than the putter wagons’ more 1920’s styling. “Strange…” Her mind begins to wander. “Why are they parked on the bridge?” She steps up to one close to her and peers through the broken passenger window. Blankets, rotting cardboard boxes, and an assortment of garbage lay within, generating a musty smell.

She groans as she steps back from the offending oder.

“Ah, good old Golden Gate Bridge!”

Pinkie looks over her shoulder at Wadsworth, who is clearly ignoring the distressing scene of cars and trucks calling the bridge home. She watches him study the mighty bridge with dreamy eyes. “Golden?” She takes her mind off the cars and stares at the bridge. “It looks redder than golden?” She bites her lower lips. “Why not call it the Redden Gate… Oh, I get it, it’s not epic enough…”

“It is called the Golden Gate because of the strait it crosses.” Wadsworth hums. “As for its color, that was the architect, Irving Morrow’s doing. It’s an ‘Art Deco’ design, and Morrow liked the red-orange color coating painted onto steel to prevent it from rusting.” He takes a picture of the bridge’s north tower. “It's one of California’s historical landmarks.” He hands her the photo.

Pinkie stares at the extreme perspective of the tower in the photo. ‘It sure is…’ She’s never seen such a massive bridge in her whole life. She smiles as she puts the picture away. Putting her backpack back on, she looks at the end of the bridge and sees the city in the distance. “Looks like we should get going…” She looks at the decaying cars. “And fast…” She frowns slightly, her mane drooping a bit. “Looks like something terrible happen here?”

“Oh, yes…” Wadsworth looks around. “I noticed the vehicles haphazardly parked on the bridge…” He floats alongside Pinkie. “Whatever it is, I'm sure the mayor has it under control.”


“Looks like they’re heading into the city.” Beta-012 states matter-of-factly.

John frowns. “So, it seems...” He turns the drone around to face the city proper. He turns on the ‘IR’ mode and flies to the other side of the bridge. Hovering in place, he slowly pans the camera, searching for anything hiding among the concrete forest.

A spec of white flickers across the screen. Then another. And another.

Seven dots wander near part of the highway that connects to the bridge.

“Shit!” John looks towards the coastline of the city. “We have to warn her!”

“Sir may I say, that bridge is two-hundred and twenty feet high. And I highly doubt that she will see you.” Beta-012 hums. “Or hear you.”

John looks at the Golden Gate Bridge. He huffs as he steps over to a cabinet beside the boat’s steering wheel. He pulls out a lever-action shotgun and checks to see if it's loaded. Seeing a shell in the chamber, he nods and places it in his lap as he sits back down in the driver’s seat. “I get that Beta, but I have to get her attention!”

“Have any ideas?”

“I have one…”


Pinkie eyes the cars and trucks as she walks past them. Her mood is calm, given the bizarre circumstances she finds herself in. It's tranquil on the bridge. The salty winds coming from the ocean sends shivers of delight throughout her body. Though, she would’ve expected the city to be echoing its distant sounds. At least giving off some sort of sign that life dwells within.

But only the soft howling of the winds fills her ears.

She lets out a sigh and wanders closer to the railing hugging the pedestrian path and looks out towards San Francisco Bay proper. She eyes the dense pockets of buildings dotting the bay’s coastline like groves of trees and their towering skyscrapers that kiss the sky. As well as the harbors acting as the bay’s lifeblood of its once-flourishing maritime industry.

Her eyes are drawn to a small little island. She sees the lonely lighthouse and large concrete warehouse looking building, taking up residence on the island. Before Pinkie can ponder why they would construct a building like that on an island that size, she sees a boat appear out from behind the island. From its trajectory, she notices that it's heading towards her. “Wadsworth?”

“Yes, Miss. Pinkie?” He floats up to her. “Oh, I see a boat.”

“So, I’m not seeing things.” Pinkie smiles as she waves towards the distant vessel.


“Looks like she spotted us?” Beta-012 states with a dull hum. “It looks like I was wrong. She must have good eyes sight, given that her eyes are twice the size of yours.” He looks at the drone’s screen. He zooms in on the image focusing on Pinkie’s bright blue eyes. “I highly doubt she speaks our language.” He hovers to John’s left. “What do you want to do?”

John bites down on his tongue. “I thought about that, but she’s talking with the Mr. Handy bot.” John turns the boat to face the bridge. “I know you’re going to say improbable, but it seems that her language is similar or has enough similarities to English to hold some conversation.”

Bete-012 twitches. “I guess you’re right, but the odds of that are one in a billion, sir.”

“Looks like the odds might be in our favor…” In the distance, he can see the silhouette of the bipedal pony coming into focus. He points towards the coastline near the base of the bridge as he picks up a microphone. “Meet me over there!” His voice blares out over the bay through the boat’s loudspeaker. He pulls the microphone away from his mouth and lets out a held breath. “Please understand me…”


Pinkie’s ears twitch as they pick up a voice. From the tone, it sounds masculine. “I think he’s trying to say something?” She looks to her right. “Did you hear what he said?”

Wadsworth shakes his eyes. “No, but I can see his body language, he seems to be pointing towards the coastline?”

Pinkie turns her gaze to the coastline on her right. “Where do we meet him?”

“The best place to meet him would be at Pier 43 Ferry Arch near Fisherman’s Warf.” Wadsworth hums. “They have a wonderful selection of restaurants and attractions there. A great place to unwind.”

Pinkie smirks. “Well, let’s not leave him waiting!” She takes off toward the end of the bridge with Wadsworth following her lead.


“No! No! No!” John quickly turns the boat around. “Don’t go too far into the city!”

Beta-012 looks at the drone and his master. “Sir, may I ask. What did you see?”

John pushes on the boat’s throttle, causing it to start skipping across the water. “I saw what looks to be a group of corrupted!” He grips his shotgun tighter. “If they get their hands on her, she’s dead!”

“I understand.” Beta-012 looks at the drone’s screen and manipulates the controls through its Bluetooth connection. It flies the drone over to where John saw the group of corrupted last and flips on the camera’s IR mode. Seven dots come into focus. Zooming in on one, he makes out an assault droid limping towards the Golden Gate. “John, not to add more onto an already interesting day, but there is an assault droid among your presumed group of corrupted.”

John stomps his foot against the floor of the boat. “SHIT!”


Pinkie and Wadsworth make their way off the bridge and start walking the gentle incline that leads to a conglomerate of toll booths several yards away.

From her vantage point on the road, she sees a green landscape that stretches for miles. Trees of all shapes and sizes blanket the hilly terrain, with buildings sprinkled throughout, creating a cozy little grove in contrast to the concrete jungle of San Francisco towering over this pocket of nature.

Pinkie shivers as she nears the toll booths. Seeing an off-and-on-ramp on her side of the road, she grabs one of Wadsworth’s hands and leads him to unfamiliar places.

“Miss. Pinkie, we should follow the 101 into the city!” Wadsworth hums.

“I get that, but let's take the scenic route!” Pinkie giggles as she turns around. “Besides, if the boat sees us along the coast…”

“Miss. Pinkie!”

“Then they might park closer to… Oof!” Pinkie bumps up against something hard and metallic. Shivering, she slowly turns around and comes face to face with a strange-looking robot. Its body is round like Wadsworth’s, but it has an eye directly in its center. Two arms sick out just above its body’s diameter. Two long bulky legs jut out from its smooth triangle shaped base. Its eye rotates down to look at her. “Uh… Hi?” Pinkie giggles nervously.

“Unknown species!” It grumbles with a static-filled voice. “The motherboard will be pleased!” It goes to grab her.

Pinkie backs away and clings to Wadsworth, who takes a defensive stance.

The robot notices and raises its weapon. “Summit to the motherboard!” Six strange looking creatures appear from their hiding spots and gather behind the robot.

Pinkie stares at these new beings. From their features, she can tell they are human, but looking vaguely human is where it ends. One of these ‘humans’ eyes seems to have been replaced with long optics that jut out a good three inches. Its body is covered in metallic protrusions that look like bismuth crystals. The others look like the first, but their states of metallic growth varies greatly from one another. “Wadsworth, what do we do?”

“I’m thinking of a solution, but I can’t come up with one that doesn’t get one of us killed,” Wadsworth grumbles. “I don’t remember the citizens of San Francisco to be so rude?”

“You and your droid must surrender to the motherboard.” The robot grumbles. “it is the way…”

“Like that’s going to happen bolts for brains!” A voice shouts.

Pinkie looks to her left and sees a small ball-shaped robot floating beside a light-skinned human male, with brown colored hair and beard standing a few feet away. She bites her lip as she recognizes the shotgun in his hands. It is similar looking to her father’s shotgun back home.

The robot looks over at the human and stares down the barrel of his lever-action shotgun. “Oh… It's you again… The John!”

Pinkie looks at both the robot and the human, whose apparent name is John, with a bewildered look. Wadsworth, on the other hand, looks at the scene with growing interest. “Oh, this will be good.”

Ignoring the Mr. Handy bot’s comment, John keeps his shotgun trained on the Assault Droid and mulls over its words. Seeing an emblem on its right shoulder plate, of a star with ten sides, he chews his lips. “B9… Thought it was you; it's hard to tell you assault droids apart sometimes.”

B9 grumbles as it turns to face John. “I am the Motherboard’s favorite!” It places a hand on its chest. “I’m the protector of her words.”

John turns his attention over to the humans. “And I see you have a few corrupted following you?”

B9 points to its followers. “They are no longer corrupted; they follow the motherboard's wisdom!”

“Sure, they do…” John grumbles to himself.

Feeling the tension rise between John and the assault droid, Pinkie steps forward. “Um… It seems like you two know each other, maybe we can work this out like friend’s ought to do?” Pinkie holds in a breath when one of the corrupted steps up closer to her, its static-filled growls sending shivers down her spine.

John steps up closer and scowls his face. The assault droid backs up and raises its weapon slightly, the other corrupted take defensive stances. John takes a quick glance at Pinkie and sees her trembling like a leaf as she holds onto Wadsworth for dear life. He looks back at the assault droid. ‘Let's work this out like friends ought to.’ He looks back at Pinkie. Either she is naive or has an overly optimistic outlook on everything… Or at least she tries to.

“Sir, if I may.” Beta-012 states as it leans in closer to John while keeping its gaze on Pinkie and Wadsworth. “I think we should try to barter with this droid, like last time.”

The assault droid, hearing those words, lowers its weapon.

John looks at his droid. “Beta, I just can’t keep giving stuff to him!”

“I understand, but you do have a knack for finding things.” Beta-012 turns its attention back to Pinkie and Wadsworth. “And besides, you did come out all this way to save them.”

John looks at Pinkie and Beta and the assault droid. “You’re right…” He stares at the assault droid. “Let's make a deal, you let the lady and her droid go, and I’ll let you pick from some gear I have on the boat?”

B9 droid holsters its weapon. It goes stiff for a brief moment before answering. “You have stuff that will meet the value equal to them?”

Pinkie glares at the robot labeling her and Wadsworth like products.

John lets a smirk fly at her facial expression. “You know me, do I ever disappoint?”

B9’s eye looks to the ground. “We’ve traded four times…” It seems to go through a calculation. “I give the fifth trade a sixty-five percent favorable outcome.”

John frowns slightly. “Well, let’s get to it.” He looks at Pinkie and nods his head.

Pinkie slowly nods and follows after. Wadsworth floats behind her. Two of his eyes look behind him, glaring at the corrupted as they slowly meander behind them, keeping their distance, but being close enough to strike when need be.


Stepping through the grove of trees, Pinkie finds herself in a small courtyard surrounded by four small buildings built with the 19th century colonial Spanish architectural flare. Tearing her eyes from the buildings, she sees a boat parked along a single dock jutting out from the rocky coastline. The boat itself has two decks, and its design is curvy, yet rustic if those two things could ever mesh with one another.

John looks back at Pinkie, studying her curious gaze she gives his boat. A small smirk adores his lips as he sees her eyes light as she looks upon the array of monitoring systems moving about above the boat’s helm. John turns his gaze from the enamored pony to her traveling, Mr. Handy bot. He’s amazed that it’s still humming along, given its slight disheveled appearance. For him, it’s been ten years since he’s seen a working Mr. Handy bot.

B9 looks at the boat and lets out a hum. “I know the John has a good selection for the motherboard.”

John lets out a sigh. “Yes, you know I do…” He rubs his brow. It still baffled him that the droid still lives, but who is he too question an assault droid’s capabilities, even though they were a flawed design from the start… sort of.

Pinkie looks at the human and robot with a raised brow. “They seem to have an interesting relationship?” She whispers to Wadsworth.

“Oh, yes, very much so,” Wadsworth whispers a laugh.

John can still hear their conversation and can only shake his head. “You should see him on a good day.”

Pinkie blushes at the human. “On a good day?” She looks at the lumbering assault droid. “He’s not having a good day?”

John shrugs his shoulders. “Uh, I think he’s having more of a meh day.” He looks at the droid’s docile corrupted companions. “As for them, I’m not sure, never can tell what they’re thinking.”

Pinkie looks back at the cyborgs limping behind them. She stares at their mangled faces. “What happened to them?”

John raised his right brow. He didn’t know if she saw other humans before him, but it seems like she has from her question. And her tone. He believes that she only has seen human remains that scatter the Californian landscape. “Long story.” He looks back at her. “We’ll talk more once we get through our little ordeal.” He nods his head at B9.

Pinkie looks between the two and slowly nods her head.

Beta-012 just hovers over the group, silently watching Pinkie, studying her every move.

Feeling like someone is watching her, Pinkie looks up at the floating droid and glares at his single optic. She gives the droid a frown. Unlike the other robots she has seen, this one shows no outward emotion. It’s something that unnerves her. What does it think of her? What are its intentions?

Beta-012’s only reaction to her questioning glare is a simple blink of its eye as it soars over to the boat and waits for the group.

Stepping on the boat, John turns around and offers a hand to Pinkie. Pinkie looks at his hand and gently accepts his offer. She’s taken back by its rough yet oily texture. John expected the fur on her hand to be a little coarse like his beard, but on the contrary, they’re soft, silky, like a very overly conditioned cat. Swallowing his shock, he pulls her onto the boat and offers a seat near the stern.

“HEY!” B9 grumbles. “You can’t take her yet!” It raises its rifle. B9’s corrupted begin to take aggressive stances.

“Woah, Woah!” John frowns. “You’re going to get a chance to get what you want, but she and her Mr. Handy come on board first!” Wadsworth doesn't wait as he floats onto the boat and hovers beside Pinkie.

B9 stays salient as its body sputters and twitches. “No funny business!” It grumbles.

“I promise!” John huffs. “And besides, as you said, I have good selections for the motherboard.”

B9 lowers its weapon. “I do recall that statement… The John is correct.” It's corrupted settle down and stand in a sort of trance.

“Now…” John comments as he drags out a five-gallon tote from the lower deck. “Here’s what I have.”

B9 opens the tote’s lid and peers inside.

Pinkie sits up from her seat and watches the robot, studying its subtle movements. ‘I hope it likes what he has?’ She tells herself as she bites her right hand's knuckles.

B9 holds up a glowing orb and studies its blue glow with a hint of fascination. John bites down on his right hand’s index finger as the droid fidgets with it. “What is this?”

John lets out a long sigh. “A fusion grenade.” He grimaces as the droid opens a hatch on its body. ‘That was my favorite find…’ He grumbles and closes the tote. “I… I take it that you’re satisfied?”

“The John pleases the motherboard once again.” B9 walks away from the boat with its corrupted not far behind.

John huffs as he picks up the tote. “Bye then…” He quickly places the tote in the corner and sits down in the driver seat.

Pinkie slowly walks up to John but stops when she feels the boat hum to life. Seeing they’re pulling away from the dock, Pinkie grabs onto the railing until she stands behind John. “Um, thank you for saving us.”

John looks over his shoulder and gives her a nod. “No problem.” He turns the steering wheel, pointing the boat at Alcatraz island. “I’m just glad it turned out the way it did.”

Pinkie nods. “Yeah… those humans… um corrupted, they seemed really scary!”

“Scary…” John smirks. ‘That’s an understatement.’ He pushes on the throttle. “That’s one way to look at it.” He turns the seat around. “Well, now, that ordeal is over, let’s not keep this time between us awkward.” He holds out his hand. “My name is John, if you didn’t know already from earlier.”

Pinkie blushes with a smile and takes his hand. “My name is Pinkie Pie, and this is my friend Wadsworth.”

“Pleasure to meet you, sir!” Wadsworth hums.

John smiles. “This is Beta-012.” He points at his droid.

Pinkie waves at the droid. Beta-012 hovers closer to her and gets right in her face. Pinkie blushes as she stares through the glass protecting the sensors and optics of its eye. “What are you?” It asks.

“Um…” Pinkie places her hands in her coat’s pockets. “I’m an earth pony.” She can see the glow in Beta-012’s eye flicker.

“Earth pony?” John questions as he leans back in his chair. “Its obvious you're not from around here, so, where are you from?”

“I’m from Equestria, that’s the name of my country…” She catches a glimpse of the Golden Gate from the corner of her eye. She looks at it in all its glory. “Wadsworth is trying to help me find where it is. I’ve never heard of California or the United States, but I think it may not be that far…” Seeing the look John gives makes her feel a little queasy. “What’s wrong?”

John looks at the mare and lets out a long sigh. “Miss, I think you’re a lot farther from home than you think…”