• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 2,417 Views, 18 Comments

You will never guess what happens to Equestria! Story One. - emdefmek



Strange UFOs are orbiting Equestria and Princess Luna is trying to figure out why.

  • ...
4
 18
 2,417

Chapter Four: A Great Show

Princess Luna was running hard through a dark corridor, she was fleeing. She had seen Canterlot, and Equestria burning under the attack of a great beast of metal and fire, so much fire, so much death, so much horror. She saw her sister Princess Celestia stepping up to oppose the beast, and all Luna could do was run like a coward.

All of a sudden a great explosion and a wall of fire came into the corridor. The fire was bearing down on her, her tail was singed and her hide was boiling from the great heat, before the conflagration could consume her she woke up in a sweat.

Her personal guard was standing next to her bed, looking as though he was about to wake her. He quickly went to attention and said “Your majesty, Your sister requested that I wake you at once.”

Luna collected herself and asked “What’s happening?”

He answered “It’s the ships, My Princess. Something is.. happening up there and Princess Celestia wishes you to see it.”

It was the middle of the day, the sun was out. Normally the ships were invisible behind the blue sky and the rays of the sun. Were they actually coming down to Equestria?

She got out of bed and quickly composed herself.

“Alright I’m ready, take me to Celestia please”

They left her quarters and proceeded down to the throne room, which was empty. Everypony including Celestia was out on the balcony looking up. She joined the crowd and looked to see what was hold their attention.

Flashes were going off all over the sky. The ships were not visible, but there were flashes of light all over the sky. There was no sound to accompany the light so nopony had any idea what they meant.

She found her sister and walked up to her side.

Since everypony on the balcony was talking she leaned over to Celestia’s ear and asked “What is going on?”

“I don’t have a clue, this just started not long ago.” said Celestia, not breaking her gaze from the sky.
Celestia then turned to Luna and said “We need to talk, but not here.. It’s a little crowded out here.”

They both headed back inside and went up to the foot of the throne. Celestia didn’t bother to take her place, she wasn’t royalty addressing the populace right now, she was a pony talking to her litter sister.

“You look rough, I hope you can forgive me.” said Celestia while sitting down on the floor.

“It’s ok, I was having a bad dream anyway. Actually this was something I needed to see, something big is happening up there.” Luna replied, sitting across from Celestia.

“I wanted to ask you something” Celestia said “Could I join you tonight when you observe the ships?”

Luna cocked an eyebrow, “You know you don’t have to ask, but I am curious as to why you want to join me.”

Celestia blushed a little, “Well officially I want first hand observation of this new events, if something big is happening then I need to know”

“And unofficially?” Luna inquired, eyebrow even more cocked.

Celestia sighed, “We’ve barely spent any time together, I just want an excuse to spend time with my little sister.”

Luna blushed herself. She realized that was true, they both were so preoccupied with their own activities that they never saw each other anymore.

“Alright, that sounds like a thing we could do.” she replied.

“Thanks” Celestia said while leaning down to nuzzle Luna “Sunset isn’t for quite awhile yet, I think you should go back to sleep.”

“Uhh right” Luna remember how tired she was. She parted ways with her sister and headed back to her chambers. On her way she stopped an assistant and requested some sleepy time tea.

Back up in her chambers she pulled heavy curtains over the windows while sipping on her tea, and once her bedroom was completely dark she settled down with excited thoughts of spending time with her sister tonight, and proceeded to pass out.


“LUNA! Luna wake up!”

She woke with a startle, Celestia was running into her bedchamber and magically dragging her out of bed. “Celestia? What is the meaning of this?” She was only half awake and rather irritated.

“You need to see this, right now” Celestia said. Pushing Luna onto the balcony. Celestia rushed over to Luna’s telescope and made some adjustments while tracking the evening sky. With the telescope adjusted she ushered luna to the eyepiece.

Luna saw something bright, but very blurry. She blinked the sleep out of her eyes and adjusted the focus on the eyepiece and looked again. She saw a ship, but this ship wasn’t in space. By how its shield was glowing and by the streamers of smoke coming off its hull showed it was slamming into Equestria’s thick atmosphere.

Luna stumbled back and fell on her backside “Wha.. What is happening!?”

Celestia walking up to the telescope and looking in the eyepiece said “It’s coming down, we need to know where.”

Luna knew they could make a guess that had some accuracy, but this needed to be as exact as possible. While Luna knew she and Celestia could crunch the numbers, there was a pony who could do it better.

“Twilight would be able to answer that” Luna said.Celestia nodded in agreement. “We have to get to the Ponyville Library right now.”

They didn’t want to waste a moment, they focused themselves and immediately teleported to the Ponyville Library.. right into Twilight’s study.

There was a flash, and a scream, ink bottles and quills went airborne. “Princess Celestia! Luna! What are you doing here!” Twilight shouted with irritation. She checked her and bowed “Your majesty.”

“Twilight, nevermind that, come with us.” Celestia said walked up to the Library Telescope.

The area the telescope was in was smaller than Luna’s balcony so Luna stayed on the main floor. Celestia made some adjustments and allowed Twilight to look into the eyepiece.

“What is it doing coming down here?” asked Twilight. “We intend to find out. Which is why we are here. I know you can figure out where it will land.”

“Oh, umm well I can do that.” to Twilight this was a simple enough task. “I’ll need more space, so why don’t we go outside.”
Twilight and Celestia gathered up the telescope, quills, ink and paper and went out into the Ponyville Main Square. Despite the odd looks they got, since this was the first time in a long time both Princesses were in the town, they ignored the stares and set up the telescope. The ship looked to still be burning through the atmosphere.

Twilight went to work, Spike served tea and biscuits to the guests and Celestia spoke with curious onlookers. Luna remembering that she came here immediately after waking up, asked Rarity to help her clean up a bit, Rarity was more than willing to assist.

After a few minutes Twilight called Celestia and Luna over and had them take turns looking into the eyepiece. By this time the rest of Ponyville figured out what was going on and were looking at and speculating on Equestria’s visitor. There was some concern as the Ship was coming down very fast with no sign of slowing down.

The ship was coming down head first, or shield first, but now it was turning around. Soon enough it was facing Equestria rear or engine first. Suddenly a blinding light came from the ship. Luna was looking into the eyepiece and backed away in pain. Everypony was looking up now, the Ship grew brighter, geysers of flames shooting out of the sides and rear of the ship. Soon the Ship became too bright and ponies shielded their eyes from the light.

After a minute or so the light died down. The Ship while closer, had slowed down considerably. By this time the telescope was not needed, the Ship was clearly visible to the naked eye.

One thing everypony noticed was how pieces were breaking off the ship, small ones but it wasn’t normal for a ship to break apart if it was coming down for a visit. It took Applejack, who had gather with Twilight and the rest of the girls to discuss the new events.

“It’s crashing” She said. It became obvious to everypony else. This was a bad turn of events, something bad happened and nopony had any clue what it is.

“Twilight, did you figure out where it is coming down?” Celestia asked. Twilight looked at her parchments and said “By my estimates it will land.. or crash in the Everfree Forest.”

Everypony looked at each other anxiously, coming down in the Everfree Forest was more bad news. Forest fire was likely, not to mention every animal fleeing and look for places to hide.

“Is there anybody in the Everfree Forest? We need to know and get them out of there.” Celestia said to the gathered crowd. Everypony asked each other and the question spread out to the rest of town. The only one who lived in the forest, Zecora had actually taken leave back to her Tribal Savanna and was thus out of danger, Twilight made a mental note to sent Zecora a letter to let her know what is happening and offer the Library for her use.

The Ship was filling the sky, soon enough everypony realized the true size of the thing. It was larger than Ponyville, as large as Canterlot! It was still heads or shield up with it’s rear facing Equestria. It was coming down slowly, though it may had been its size that made it seem like it was moving slowly.

There was nothing nopony could do, it was too large. The ponies could see the ship in detail now and could see a huge tear, or cut, or gash along its side. The lights that Luna remembered where on these ships were all dark. The ship had been attacked and injured. The ship was dead, and falling to Equestria and there was nothing anypony could do.

There was the sound of rumbling and booming now, as the Ship slowly cut its way through the atmosphere.

______________________________________________________________________________

CDF Gate of Divine Might (Critically Damaged)
Hyperion Class Interstellar Heavy Battlecruiser
Current Mission: Operation Maintain Innocence (Classified Above Top Secret by order of the Executive)
Commander: Admiral Liu Han (K.I.A)
Leviathan Construct: Mordecai-1879 (M.I.A.)

Mordecai never had a chance, neither did the Gate of Divine Might, or Liu Han or her crew. The Gate of Divine might was the first ship the Apex attacked. Either the Apex had new tactics, or the expeditionary force the Confederacy sent was woefully unprepared. Either way, it didn’t matter to Mordecai.

Before Mordecai, or the crew, or the fleet knew it the Apex warped straight into the orbit of Equestria. An incredibly dangerous move, but it caught the fleet off guard. Before the order for defensive measures could be called 3 kinetic blasts had torn through the starboard side of the ship, destroying the both sub-faster-than-light and faster-than-light communication arrays, life support, and causing catastrophic damage to 3 of the 4 Tokamak fusion reactors to which safeguards vented and disabled those reactors. The multi thousand ton shield mounted on the bow proved useless to the Apex armaments.

The Gate of Divine Might was dead in the water so to say, when a 4th blast carved a massive gash in the ship’s hull and knocked out its sensor arrays, vented all of its atmosphere, killing whatever crew was left, including the command staff and Admiral Liu Han.

With a dead crew, no way to call out for help and no possibility of warping out of the system since the ship required 2 functional reactors to operate faster-than-light. Mordecai could not even calculate the trajectories to travel in system as he had no sensors to calculate from.

Mentally, Mordecai was catatonic, the horror of what happened was too much to bear. One moment Mordecai was performing midday inspections while the day shift was in the mess hall on lunch, the next all hell broke loose. Within the minute his ship.. his body was destroyed, and his crew.. his friends were all dead. Paralyzed, mute and deaf Mordecai could only watch through the few operational external cameras as the rest of the fleet engaged the Apex. He took some comfort in seeing the might of the Confederacy rip through the Apex invaders.

He also noticed that his ship.. his body was entering Equestria’s atmosphere. The shield deflected the heat and pressure that entry caused. He then saw the brilliant blue of the sky. He woke out of his stupor and started to move the cameras around. It was a beautiful, colorful planet. Almost unreal, nearly cartoonishly pretty. It reminded him of home on Eden.

With dawning horror and realization, Mordecai knew he would impact. With his size he knew it would be apocalyptic. A Hyperion Class Battle Cruiser was 2 kilometers long and just over 10,000 tons, and with a shield installed not capable of atmospheric movement.

Mordecai found he could do something about it. He was able to move the shield enough that the drag started to flip over, as the back of the shield caught the air it straightened out the ship and slowed it down. But it wasn’t enough.

Mordecai had no engines, only the surviving fusion reactor. He knew he was already dead, all he could do was try to minimized the number of innocents he took with him. He made what was probably the hardest choice of his life, harder than giving up his flesh in the hope of immortality.

He choose to die. He knew that venting the last reactor into Equestria’s atmosphere would slow down his ship enough that it’s impact would only cause local damage. Not the best solution, but way better than the near planet killing impact it would of been.

Mordecai-1879, born Edgar Boyer in 2003 on Earth’s first colony of Eden, who made the transhuman conversion to a Leviathan in 2049, remember back to his youth and to a prayer he remembered. As he disabled the governors and began to overload the final reactor, he recited it.

Just as he came to the final line, he gazed upon the Planet of Equestria, and remember home.
“Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”

The Tokamak reactor reached catastrophic status, the safeguards kicked in and vented the plasma core into Equestria’s atmosphere, all power to The Gate of Divine Might shut off, and Mordecai-1879 ceased to be.
______________________________________________________________________________

The ship moved so slowly, everypony could only look on in horror as the ship touched the top of the Everfree forest and buried itself into Equestria’s surface with a earth shaking boom, sending everypony standing to the ground. It seemed like it would just go through the surface when it suddenly stop with a shockwave that rippled through the ship. The shield on the top broke from the rest of the ship, and fell off along it’s side to another earth shattering boom.

Everypony was looked on stunned, it was so close yet so far away. A ripple of dust was moving away from the impact site at lighting speed. A shock wave slammed into Ponyville, knocking everypony back and shattering every window in town.

Luna laid on her back on the ground, deafend and dazed. She looked around and saw a horrible scene. Ponies laid everywhere, some stumbling, many others bleeding after having glass shards rip through them.

She looked for her sister, who was also starting to get up. Her crown was missing and she had cuts covering her face and chest. Luna tried to walk to her but a sharp pain shot up her left foreleg, her hock was sprained. Celestia slowly walked to her.

Hearing returned to Luna, the noise of chaos, the screaming, the crying, the yelling were all around. Celestia went to Luna’s ear to say something, but something in the distance caught both of their eyes.

A wall, a cloud that contain dirt and rock and fire, and what was left of the Everfree Forest, was heading straight for Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Apologizes for the delay, but I found an entire bottle of Merlot is a great way to push through procrastination.