• Published 27th Jun 2020
  • 550 Views, 15 Comments

dasher - The Red Parade



A chance meeting on a snowy day leads to a friendship that lasts forever.

  • ...
5
 15
 550

i: under atmospheric haze

From a high-rise building deep within Canterlot, Sweetie Drops felt like she could see the entire world. Through a pane of glass she could make out the ponies moving in the streets below, heading home after a long day of work and play.

She took it all in and admired it, because she didn’t know if she’d ever see it again. Sweetie hesitantly raised a hoof and pressed it against the glass, as if to verify that it was still there.

Her ear twitched as she heard movement behind her. “Oh. You’re still here,” said a voice.

“Yeah, I was… on my way out,” she said absently, quickly retracting her hoof. She turned around to meet the face of former Special Agent Furlong. The unicorn usually held a stoic, unyielding gaze, but tonight all she could see were the bags under his eyes.

Furlong shifted on his hooves, staring through Sweetie and out the window. “I see.”

Sweetie looked over his shoulder, discomforted by his empty-eyed stare. Her eyes fell on the wall, where a sign reading “Secret Monster Intelligence League of Equestria” was mounted.

SMILE. That word had meant so much to her over the past few years. But after tonight, it would mean nothing to the world. Because after tonight, SMILE would vanish like a ghost in the sun.

Furlong moved over to her desk, where a train ticket sat alone on its surface. “Ah, you got Ponyville,” he said. “Lucky you. I hear it’s a quaint little place with friendly ponies. You’ll like it there.”

Sweetie took a shaky breath. “Sir… is there… is there really no other way around it?”

Furlong’s face morphed into a scowl, and Sweetie felt her heart drop. “You know as well as I do that there isn’t,” he snapped. “Do you think I’m really comfortable with sending an army of outcasts to small towns across Equestria?!”

Sweetie’s ears fell backwards as she cringed.

“I… I apologize,” Furlong said, squeezing his eyes shut and sighing. “This past week has taken its toll on us all.” Seeing the look in her eyes, he lowered his head in shame. “Sweetie, you know I didn’t mean that. It’s just… well, you remember what you were told in the academy. ‘Keep your distance, work alone,’ and all that.”

Sweetie Drops nodded, remembering the mantras her instructors and seniors had pounded into her head.

“Well, that’s great for our line of work, but outside of it?” Furlong shook his head sadly. “Outside it falls apart.” The unicorn ran a hoof along the edge of the barren desk. “But I have high hopes for you, Drops. You’ll do fine out there.”

Sweetie couldn’t help but note how hollow his words sounded. She shook on her hooves, heart beating fast. “Sir, for… for what it’s worth, I’m sorry.” Please, she thought. Please, say you forgive me. Say it wasn’t my fault. Please.

Furlong opened and shut his mouth, working his jaw. For a millisecond he offered her a smile, but it quickly slipped away. “I… I know.” He reached out and patted her on the shoulder. “You’ll like Ponyville,” he said again. With that, he turned and left the room, hoofsteps echoing in the empty hall.

She stood there, blinking back tears and shaking, before she squeezed her eyes shut and grabbed her train ticket. Five minutes later, Sweetie Drops died, and a mare named Bon Bon left the empty office building.