• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 1,398 Views, 17 Comments

Equestria's Dark Shadow - InTheStands



Barnabas Collins lands in not only Equestria, but a role in a far-reaching conflict...

  • ...
6
 17
 1,398

Change of Scenery

Chapter 8: Change of Scenery

My name is Barnabas Collins. Over the course of one night, I had been spirited away from a rampaging mob of miniature horses, and into the castle grounds of the two ruling sisters, Celestia and Luna. Having retired to sleep, a new day brings with it new concerns for what this world may have in store...

Barnabas mumbled as he awoke. Looking around him, at the castle chamber that served as his bedroom, he quickly remembered his upside-down position, hanging from the chandelier. Flipping himself over, he grunted as he landed on the floor. Then, after standing in the silence, noticing the sunlight blotted out by the window curtains, he realized what had woken him up: Voices from the other side of the chamber door.

Curious, he crept towards the door, pressing his ear against the wood.

"...Up in the mountains," One voice finished, sounding out-of-breath.

The second voice sported a sense of authority as it stated, "You know this information is not to be discussed outside of the barracks."

"I know, Captain. But all those dragons...they've checked every last one, and their bodies-"

"This is not the place," The second voice pressed, "To talk about this. Return to the barracks and have a written report ready for me. Stand here and keep talking, and expect a demotion."

"...Yes, Captain." There was a brief silence before Barnabas could hear hooves against stone, the sound quieting. A second later came the sharp click of the doorknob. The startled vampire jumped back, body tensed, as the door opened.

In front of the doorway stood another pony, a white-coated stallion, if its build was to be guessed correctly. He sported body armor, like the guards, only this armor was purple in color, with gold trim and a small shield with a purple star on the pony's chest. On the ground next to him was a helmet with the same color and trim, with a large blue brush. Looking back at the stallion, Barnabas noticed the brush color matched the color of his mane. Leaning to the side, the vampire noticed something else behind the small horse: A large, rectangular casket on a wheeled cart. His casket.

"I take it you're Barnabas Collins?" The stallion brought the being's attention to him. "The vampire?"

"...Perhaps," was the answer. "Do either of the Princesses know of your presence here?"

The stallion, using his magic, floated a parchment of paper to the vampire, stating, "This might answer your question."

Barnabas plucked the paper out of the air and began to read aloud. "'Barnabas. Circumstances have allowed me to provide two things for you: One is your coffin. The other is the opportunity to introduce you to the Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor. I have requested that he bring your coffin to you so that you may meet each other. As daylight now shines upon Equestria, I do not expect you to go anywhere until Luna raises the moon, but for now you have your usual place of rest back again. Regards, Princess Celestia.'" The vampire looked back to the white armored pony. "I did not realize I was priveliged enough to be allowed to meet the Captain of the Guard."

"I heard what happened last night...that and the past several nights," Shining Armor explained. "At first I thought it was some joke, since it's getting close to Night Mare Night...but then Celestia told me what happened." He paused, then spoke up again. "Twilight Sparkle? The pony that brought you here?" Barnabas nodded. "Would you believe me if I tell you she's my baby sister?"

Barnabas became incredulous, until he noticed the shield design on the stallion's armor. The six-pronged star that bore a resemblance to the star on the flank of the pony in question.

"That's another reason why I decided to be the one to bring you your coffin," Shining admitted. "Barnabas? Take it from somepony who knows Twilight: She's going to find a way to get you back."

"The Princesses made it clear to me earlier of the possibility of there not being a way," was the response.

"Yeah, there's that...but we don't know that yet. Not unless we try." Shining moved to the wheeled cart carrying the coffin, and began to push it towards the doorway. "You either want to step out of the way or come help me out?"

Barnabas quickly decided, aiding the stallion in pushing the cart into the room, then setting the coffin down on the floor, in the middle of the circular rug.

The man turned to the pony, bowing slightly. "Your decision to help return my coffin is appreciated, Captain. But may I suggest lowering your voice if you must speak outside the door? You understand sleep is as important for me as it is for you."

"You heard that, didn't you?" Shining Armor put a hoof to his head and sighed, irritated. "How much of it?"

Barnabas thought of his answer, then decided to be honest about it. "Mentions of mountains, dragons...and bodies. Was there an attack on your soldiers by dragons?"

"I'm afraid that's information given on a 'need-to-know' basis," Shining shook his head. "And with as much authority as you may have had in your world, in this world, that intelligence is barred from anypony outside of the Guard."

"I see...I will hold you no further. Again, I thank you for returning my one true bed."

"You're welcome." The white stallion exited the room, turning to shut the door and say, "See you when I see you."

Barnabas sighed. So Twilight was the student of one of the Princesses, and her brother is Captain of the Guard. Exactly how close are these ponies in rank in regards to their rulers?

Shaking his head, he turned to his casket, wasting no time in opening the lid. Just before he sank into his place of rest, however, he noticed a foreign object: Another note. Picking up the paper, he then read his second message of the day:

Barnabas,

After Princess Luna took you to Canterlot, I spent the better half of last night looking up several topics that might help in sending you back. I think I've made a bit of progress, but I'm afraid to fully explain it is to meet face-to-face.

If any arrangements can be made, please make them. I look forward to seeing you and I hope this is a step in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Twilight Sparkle

He placed the note on the vanity table, thinking to himself. Of course, if he could, he would immediatley get to her as soon as possible. But he knew, from Celestia's message, that it was daylight.

Sensing that Twilight's summoning of him may become a recurrence, he decided an invaluable investment would be made in curtailing the sun's effects on him. He looked to his coat, still folded on the bed. He was instantly reminded of several articles of clothing that proved to be assets to his survival in any time of day.

But how could he get them back?

ยงยงยง

"I don't understand. Why have you waited until now to request travel into Ponyville?"

Luna raised an eyebrow at the vampire as she asked her question. Sporting his coat and walking with his cane, Barnabas stared through the windows at the glowing moon as the two walked down the hall.

He inhaled before giving his answer. "A great many reasons. The greatest one being my unfortunate reaction to your sister's sun. Understand, I only recieved Twilight Sparkle's letter when it still shone high. Secondly - while I do not know how many of your subjects are aware of my presence here, to have your guards cover me as they escort me in public may not bode well for others." He placed his thumb and index finger on his medallion as he continued. "Back home, I had a specially-made uniform. Clothing that completely shielded me from the sunlight. If I were to have such a uniform again, perhaps my quality of life here will be greatly improved."

Luna listed to Barnabas, letting him finish when an idea hit her. "Perhaps we can try - oh, no."

"Try what?"

"I was about to make a suggestion," The blue alicorn explained. "The Element of Generosity, Rarity. She's a dressmaker for both stallions and mares. But I just remembered she's in Ponyville."

The vampire nodded. "I see." He turned his whole body to one of the hall's windows. With Luna's permission, he found the lock that allowed him to push the glass open. "Tell me, Your Highness. What would you say is the general direction of Ponyville?"

Luna stood next to him, pointing out the window. "Around there. Why do you ask?"

He smirked as he looked down at her. "I simply wish to spare you and your sister of expending on any mode of transportation for myself. I only wish that you return my cane to my room."

"Your...what?"

Her confustion turned to surprise as the supernatural being then erupted in smoke. Clearing as soon as it had appeared, the blue alicorn's mouth hung open as she saw, floating in the air, a giant dark bat. The animal then bolted through the open window, disappearing into the night.

"Buh...Barnabas! WAIT!" Luna shouted into the air before shaking her head in astonishment, anxiety, and anger. Weakly, she asked, "What is Celestia going to say?"

The bat, meanwhile, bolted away from the castle, maintaining his straight-ahead direction. Within a few minutes, Barnabas could see the glow from the windows of the familiar-looking buildings. He began planning for once he reached the village. Which of the ponies would he go to first? Twilight Sparkle? Rarity?

...What was coming towards him?

Being a bat, he was able to do nothing but screech in surprise. A humongous swarm of other bats was flying straight for him. Before he knew it, he was engulfed in the chittering mass. Individually, the bats quickly flew past him, but it was no less disorienting. Suddenly, he realized too late that he was on a collision course with several more of them.

Within a second, he found himself spinning and the ground coming up to meet him. Quickly, he regained control of his wings, took back his balance, and flew into what he assumed were the woods.

As soon as he flew past the trees, however, he found himself in a small clearing surrounded by various bird houses of all shapes and sizes. Up ahead was a small bridge over a stream, leading up to a small cottage with the rooftop covered in grass.

Realizing he was still flying straight for the small structure, Barnabas immediately attempted to avert a second collision. Putting his feet out before him, the bat landed into the door with a loud knock before landing harmlessly on the ground.

Silently, he cursed the swarm of bats for disorienting him. Now he had no idea where he was in regards to Ponyville. He could only hope to find shelter in time before the night turned to day.

His ears perked up as he realized something was opening the cottage door. Light poured out from the building's interior, partly blocked by a figure he instantly recognized as another female pony. A winged one, it looked to be.

A winged pony that looked rather familiar. Especially the yellow coat and the long, pink mane.

"Oh my!" The mare gasped. "You poor thing. Are you lost?" Feeling a mixure of both relief and confusion, Barnabas shook his head. The pegasus sighed in relief. "Oh, but you look tired. Hm...I don't have many bats come here." She then looked as though an idea hit her. "Let's bring you up to the attic. It's perfectly dark up there. Would you like that?"

The bat chittered, and, to his surprise, the pony understood. "Alright then. Come in."

Barnabas flapped his wings and glided inside, letting the pegasus mare shut the door as he entered his (hopefully) temporary sanctuary.