• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 1,397 Views, 17 Comments

Equestria's Dark Shadow - InTheStands



Barnabas Collins lands in not only Equestria, but a role in a far-reaching conflict...

  • ...
6
 17
 1,397

To Wonder and Wander

Chapter 2: To Wonder and Wander

My name is Twilight Sparkle. What had started out as a harmless way to pull a prank ended up as a creature that may be capable of causing great harm. What had started as a night of fun quickly turned into a night of terror as my friends and I struggled between finding an explanation...and finding whether or not the creature chose its first victim as Spike.

§§§

The six ponies skidded to a halt as they returned to the library. They frantically looked around. The casket remained in its place, opened. But the creature was nowhere to be found.

Suddenly, they heard somepony groaning. Looking to the doorway inside, their sight fixed onto the young dragon laying on the ground.

"Spike!" Twilight shouted out as she ran up to him. She quickly looked him over. No scratches or bruises, or anything else that would suggest he was harmed in any way. She stood over him as he groaned again, blinking awake and clutching his head.

"Mmmuh...Twilight? What...what happened?"

"That's what we ought to ask you!" Applejack answered. "Where'd that monster get to?"

"Monster?" Spike asked as he sat up. "What monster?"

Twilight grew frustrated. She had enough things to be scared of. Spike having brain damage was not about to be added to that list. "What monster? The one outside! The one with the white skin and the dark clothes!"

Spike could only groan louder and hold his head tighter. "I...I can't remember. Ugh...my head..."

Twilight could see shouting wasn't going to get anypony anywhere. Spike needed to be taken care of. "Pinkie? Go get Spike to his bed. Make sure he has some ice to cool down."

"Right away!" Pinkie beamed, then moved the little dragon onto her back. "Come on, Spikey. Let's get you to your nice warm bed and treat your head to a nice cold ice bag." As Pinkie ascended the stairs, the other five looked between themselves.

"What do you think happened?" Fluttershy spoke up, though not by much. "Is...is it loose?"

"Is there any doubt at this point?" Rarity grew fearful. She then gasped. "Sweetie Belle! Opal! Oh, I HAVE to make sure they're safe!"

"Well get going!" Applejack ordered. The white dressmaker sped off towards her home.

"What about Apple Bloom?" Rainbow Dash asked. Applejack gave her a dubious look.

"I don't know anything with so much as half a brain willing to take on Big Macintosh. Springs up like a gopher whenever something keeps him from sleeping."

Twilight simply stared out into Ponyville, watching the glowing windows going dark as ponies put out their lights. She sat down and scoffed at herself. "What have I done?" She shook her head. "What did I bring here? What hurt Spike?!"

"Twilight!" Rainbow Dash stepped in. "Knock it off! Whatever the hay it is, there's no way you brought it here on purpose. You know it, I know it, all of us know it!"

Twilight sighed, regained her composure some, and nodded. "There is one thing I know: We need to find it. We have to catch it before it hurts anypony! Or worse!"

"Sugarcube," Applejack fixed her hat, "You ain't gotta tell us twice."

As they quickly delved into discussions on how to capture the unwelcome monster, the four ponies standing outside failed to notice a large bat, larger than usual, springing out of the large tree's brances and darting off into Ponyville. It wouldn't have been to noticeable either way.

If not for the fact that it carried a black, ivory-handled cane between its feet as it flew.

§§§

Ponies sleeping meant lights needed to be put out. No lights meant plenty of dark spaces, despite an ever-glowing moon.

And in these spaces - a pitch-black alleyway, to be precise - an enormous bat carrying a cane made its landing. Several seconds passed, and a being stepped out into the moonlight.

A tall, pale, dark-clothed being, instead of the large bat. clutching his cane, the individual slowly walked out further, checking and double-checking to be certain he wasn't followed or being watched. He sighed, and repeated his earlier question to himself: "What is this?"

He now began walking, his long coat lightly billowing, as he fixed the cowl draped over his shoulders. He glanced up at the moon.

He stopped and stared at it, confused. For some unfathomable reason, the craters seemed to perfectly make the shape of a unicorn.

Shaking his head, he continued his journey, despite having no clear destination. He quickly reasoned that if he was in this strange world for long, he may as well grow familiar with his surroundings. As he walked, he thought back to the events that transpired moments ago.

"Twilight?!"

The young dragon grew fearful as he grew closer and closer. He backed up into the library and grabbed the door. The dragon then began to threaten him, looking straight into his eyes. "Get away from me! I'm warning you! I'm-"

He stopped. The newcomer had raised his free hand, waving it slightly, putting the dragon in a trance-like state. Satisfied, the stranger spoke. "What is your name?"

"...Spike," was the blunt response.

"Tell me, Spike...where are we at the moment?"

"Ponyville."

"And this 'Ponyville', where is it located?"

"Equestria."

The intruder began to sense a general horse theme recurring throughout the world around him, through the names and the inhabitants. He asked another question, one he felt was more important than the others. "Are any citizens of this Equestira familiar with the supernatural being...known as the vampire?"

"Some," the dragon known as Spike replied. "Not everyone."

So there's a possibility of finding safety, the intruder thought. But then again... "Are any of the citizens aware of a being known as a...human?"

"...A what?"

The dragon's reply helped his hopes drop sharply. He knelt down to the dragon, hand still outstretched and maintaining the hypnosis. "I have one last question, young dragon. Upon arriving, I was met with six of these ponies." He paused, making sure the sentence sank in. "What are their names?"

The vampire grew concerned. The other questions Spike answered immediately. This one resulted in him being silent. His face also showed signs of resistance. The vampire, growing irritated, waved his hand several more times. "What are their names, dragon?" He asked, louder.

"...T...Twilight Sparkle..." Spike muttered, "Rainbow Dash...Fluttershy...Applejack...Pinkie Pie...Rarity."

Perfect, the vampire reasoned. Now he knew which names to avoid. But there was one last thing he needed to do. "Now, dragon. I shall break my spell. And once I do, you shall fall asleep. You will forget ever seeing me. You will forget my questions, and your answers. You will remember nothing after stepping outside of your tree. Do you understand? Now...Sleep."

Indeed, his questions were answered. But as he traveled, several more arose. What would he do for shelter? For safety from ponies who would no doubt be hostile to a vampire?

He froze.

How would he feed?

He then began to curse himself for thinking that. Already he could feel the undeniable thirst itching from within. He couldn't harm any of the inhabitants directly - he could feel there was a greater sense of community here than back in his true home.

He then stopped again. He barely understood how he got here. But perhaps he knew why he was brought here.

"Angelique."

The name felt like a rotten fruit spilling out of his mouth. The witch. He remembered the books he would read. Books and chapters and paragraphs on the supernatural. On mythical creatures. On possible worlds between worlds. And he was certain Angelique Bouchard, the bane of his existence, read many similar pieces of literature.

That was it, then! A final act of revenge! A way to separate him from his family forever!

"Is that it, then?" He whispered aloud. He stomped out of the shadows, basking in the moonlight, staring up at the clear white orb in the sky. "Is that it?!" He shouted. "You have made a deal that will end only in your misery! Your mistress has been vanquished! Hear me now, you foolish creatures - none have threatened Barnabas Collins and lived!"

He gasped as he saw a light in a nearby house flash. He ducked back into cover as a male pony cracked the window open and looked out, seeing nothing. "Hmph. Blasted colts. Normal ponies are trying to sleep!" With that, the stallion shut the window tight.

Barnabas made certain the coast was clear before fleeing. He began panting as his thirst began to grow. He could feel his composure slipping. His fangs aching. His mind trying desperately to avoid a senseless bloodbath.

Finally, a breakthrough.

Most towns had hospitals.

Most hospitals...had blood banks.

Baring his teeth, Barnabas Collins stuck to the shadows, his senses on full alert for any signs of a hospital. First he would feed.

Then he would plan.