• Published 11th Sep 2021
  • 1,592 Views, 43 Comments

Dear Princess Twilight - Test4Echo



Luster Dawn has been dispatched to follow in Twilight's hoof tracks to her old hometown of Ponyville. And, like Twilight did with Celestia, she has homework. Consistent friendship updates are expected, although they may not always come on time.

  • ...
4
 43
 1,592

Lesson

Dear Twilight,



Greetings from Foal Shores!

Hopefully this finds you well and back in Canterlot. Has it been two weeks already? It feels only like yesterday Kaiser and I were exchanging vows.

I know that it was hard for you to come to our wedding, and I understand that you had to return to Griffenheim to continue negotiating with the regency council. I know that you'll be able to win them over and then everypony can breathe a bit easier again.

Did I tell you about how crazy it was getting ready for everything? If there's such a thing as a law for everything going wrong at the worst possible time, then that was our rehearsal! I mean, Silverstream's daughter became sick when she was bringing my ring and Kaiser's fetlock band down the aisle. Puke everywhere!

And then the organist came late and played the wrong music. He only had sheet music for those songs that they play before buckball games! "Take me out to the ball game," I think it was called, or something.

By Celestia, Kaiser was ready to tear somepony's head off! For months, we were planning this with our friends' help, and then it was just like somepony let Discord have his fun at the rehearsal. Actually, could you check to see if Discord actually did that? He never came with Fluttershy to the wedding, and now I'm suspicious.

Anyway, speaking of Celestia: Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! She and Luna actually came! To my wedding! Oh, they were so regal! Not... not that I think you're not regal, Twilight, but oh wow! Like, how can you compare to Princesses Celestia and Luna? The two matriarchs of Equestria decided to come to my wedding! Did you have a hoof in this?

And Luna! Oh, it was hard talking to her at first, but she's just as kind and caring as Celestia. How does she not have a suitor, yet? She's so much more interesting than Celestia. Uh, not that Celestia isn't an interesting pony, and she deserves somepony special, too, and oh no I'm digging myself deeper the more I write this, aren't I?

Kaiser is smirking at me. I guess I may have been rambling a bit out loud. Woops.

Okay, so, I might have been a bit too excited around Celestia and Luna. But, come on! They're Princesses Celestia and Luna! You are my friend, Twilight, but it's Celestia and Luna! And they just acted like normal ponies! How could beings who've been around so long and seen so much just act like you or me?

Uh, I guess I've gone on long enough about Celestia and Luna. Needless to say, I appreciate that they were able to stay for the entire thing. It looks like they had a good time catching up with Mom, Dad, your friends, and Princess Cadance and Flurry Heart. Probably should preemptively apologize to them, too. Don't worry about what, just let them know I'm sorry.

Oh, and Princess Cadance! Your sister-in-law is so kind. The flower-filly for the ceremony had a panic attack at the last minute, and Cadance offered to find somepony else. Oh Celestia, Prince Shining Armor’s expression! If only you had made it to the start of the ceremony. I know, I know, it was important diplomatic negotiations. Still, that mix of confusion and… love? It looked like he was eying her flank as she passed him.

Anyway, when you talk with Cadance next, let her know that her help was far more than I had hoped. She deserves her title of the Princess of Love.

Oh, and Flurry Heart: she takes after you and Cadance so much. After you left, she and I spent at least an hour talking about Hayscartes' discoveries in geometry. I mean, he revolutionized the way we think about equations and graphs! Do you know how hard it is to find another pony who loves math? Harder than you'd think.

Your niece is so very kind, too. Cadance has to be proud. Flurry looked after all the foals who were at the reception when the hired nanny was relieved. You see, the nanny may have had a bit too much to drink. I think she kept cursing that the foals drove her to it or something. Surely they must not have been that bad, right? Either way, Flurry helped save the reception and dinner from complete disaster, and I hope she and I can keep in touch when Kaiser and I get home.

Speaking of home, it's unfortunate that our honeymoon is wrapping up at the end of the week. Foal Shores is such a great place! The beaches, the mild tropical air (far nicer than that disgusting jungle inland), and all the sights!

For the first day, Kaiser and I were... uh, well, um, busy. We were catching up on lost sleep, you see. Definitely that.

The rest of the week, we checked out the sights here in Foal Shores. We got a tour inland a bit (was fun enough, but the humidity ruined my mane) and saw some of the old jungle Ponish ruins. They were so different, yet so similar to the ones in the Tenochtitlan Basin region. How far Ponykind has come is astounding.

But Foal Shores proper is a modern marvel, Twilight. Their opera house has some of the most amazing performances. Kaiser and I were lucky enough to see a rendition of The Ghoul of the Opera performed by diamond dogs instead of ponies. Admittedly, it was a bit weird seeing the main love interest be a diamond dog playing as Rarity. Does she know she's in this rendition? I'd be a bit concerned if I were her.

And the food here is so good, too! There's nothing like having fresh bananas right off the tree, or mangos harvested the morning before you have breakfast. Kaiser was a bit unsure at first, as it was so different from what he ate in Ponyville, but after a few days he's begging to stay here permanently. He's such a dweeb some days.

In the last few days, we've been mostly spending time at the beach or at our resort. Kaiser is looking a bit tired, to be honest. All this time spent around ponies is wearing him out, and I'm starting to feel a bit burnt, too.

If we're not on the beach or in the water, we're usually in our resort hut watching ponies on the beach or playing a board game.

Oh, the wine here too is simply marvelous, it's like this area grows everything perfectly.

Twilight, I haven't asked this of my parents, but what will happen now? I mean, did things change? I... I suppose that's inevitable, right?

When Kaiser first proposed, I reacted instinctively with a yes. I mean, we'd been dating for three years at that point: we were practically married already and the proposal and marriage were more a formality than anything else. But now, now that it is official, my mind has been nagging at me a bit.

What if things change for the worse? You know me: I may be better at managing time, but I still bury myself in my work at the school a lot. It was hard at times making room for Kaiser when he was my coltfriend, let alone for the rest of my friends, you, and my parents. I know that I have to spend a lot more time with him now. Well, we are married, so it's to be expected, obviously.

But will I make time for my friends? My family? Will I have time for them?

Kaiser is looking at me again. Oh buck it! I need a bit of a cry it seems.

Okay, I'm back. Where was I?

Right. Change. Life changes. But, am I ready for the change?

When Kaiser and I get back to Ponyville, I'll be right back into teaching at the School of Friendship, and he'll be back working on his design degree from Canterlot University. How will we adapt?

Was this a problem Mom and Dad faced when they got married? I know that they were practically inseparable already, if Aunt Trixie is being fully honest. But Mom especially still did lots of stuff with you when she and Dad were dating. Was it different after they married?

Aunt Trixie worked with them, so she stayed close, but what about Mom and you? Mom and the rest of your friends? Did you have a harder time staying in touch, especially as your responsibilities increased?

My friends are all back in their homelands, and we barely see each other anymore. We try our best, but we can only manage some letters here and there, and if we’re lucky, a weekend trip. Now that Kaiser and I are married, will that become impossible? Will letters be the only way to communicate?

And what about how I interact with Mom and Dad? They were so supportive of me at my wedding. I swear Dad cried more than Mom, but they were both wrecks by the end of the night. How will things change between us?

I don't want to lose touch with my friends and family. I've worked so hard to improve at friendship over these years, and I don't want to see it fall apart because I got hitched!

I should know better, but...

Damn it, I'm crying again. Well, here's hoping it doesn't splotch the ink.

And, Twilight, what if I have a foal? Do you think I'd make a good parent?

I mean, I feel I'm ready for one whenever Kaiser is. He's had to care for younger siblings, so he'd be able to help out. But how would I balance my work, my social life, and taking care of a child? I'm feeling overwhelmed already just thinking about the former, I can't even entertain the idea of my work-life balance when a foal is thrown in!

I never had the best parental role model. Mom and Dad loved me then, and they love me even more now, I think. But, you saw how bitter I got with them at some points in Canterlot. They rarely were able to visit, and many of my letters went unanswered.

What if I'm the same way? Like mother, like daughter. I don't want my kid growing up hating me because I chose work over their personal growth.

Maybe... that's a good sign? That I don't want to be like Mom and Dad in how they raised me. Maybe that's all the motivation I need. Motivation to do better, even if I can't be perfect.

Ah!

Okay, Kaiser is trying to pull me into bed! It is getting a bit late, I guess. Before he drags me in, I'll finish and say that I'm going to need to talk a lot more with Mom and Dad. Even if they weren't perfect, they could provide a lot of help when I have kids, especially since they've been talking of retiring (sorry if this is your first notification on that).

Right. Bedtime. Goodnight, Twilight, I'll write again soon.

Your friend,

Luster Dawn



P.S. This is tomorrow morning. I should probably specify what I'm apologizing to Celestia for, and I guess I should throw Luna in, too. Uh, well, I may have tried feeling their manes when they weren't looking, especially Luna's. They're just so pretty!

I still wonder how your mane and their manes work, but I shouldn't have done that without asking. Although Luna's face was priceless when my hoof ran through her mane.

Uh, yeah, so uh, just say that I'm sorry.