• Published 11th Sep 2021
  • 1,591 Views, 43 Comments

Dear Princess Twilight - Test4Echo



Luster Dawn has been dispatched to follow in Twilight's hoof tracks to her old hometown of Ponyville. And, like Twilight did with Celestia, she has homework. Consistent friendship updates are expected, although they may not always come on time.

  • ...
4
 43
 1,591

In

Dear Princess Twilight,


I just wanted to add to my quick letter from last night. Thank you, thank you, thank you for believing in me and in friendship when I wouldn't and couldn't. I mean, it was scary at first. I hadn't returned to Ponyville in years, and it's so different from Canterlot. The ponies and other creatures in Canterlot were so stuck up! In Ponyville, it’s like everycreature is your friend already.

I mean, last night after I sent that letter to you, my new friends came by again to have a quick "Welcome to Ponyville" party with me, designed by Pinkie herself. Kaiser Roll and Bonfire were especially excited to see how I'd begun adjusting to living in the School of Friendship. And Midnight and Barnard? Well, they helped Pinkie bring in the punch and cupcakes while Kaiser and Bonfire asked to be shown around my dorm room. Well, it was more like exploring my room, as I still wasn’t sure where the bathroom was..

Honestly, I'm not sure why they were so excited. My room was (and is!) a mess. I appreciate all the work that you and Spike did in helping me move my things from Canterlot to here, but it was a lot of stuff. Right now, I see a stack of boxes teetering in the corner, and I'm afraid that if I write too hard, it will go tumbling onto the floor! What's worse is that I'm not sure what's in it: it could just be some old books or it might be my chemistry equipment. I don't think Mom would be very happy if my dorm room caught fire.

Speaking of Mom, she and Dad tried getting me to move back into your old castle while you and Spike were packing my things for me (thank you again). I love my parents. Really I do! It's just... well, it's just weird to be living with them again, even if I'm now in a dorm room.

Mom especially kept asking me to move back into my old room in the castle, but she saw reason with my decision to stay in the School of Friendship. I don't want to be seen as special just because I'm the daughter of the school's headmare and vice-headmare and also the protege of the ruler of Equestria! How would I be perceived if I lived there? Would creatures be genuinely interested in becoming my friend? Or would they treat me nice because they’d be afraid of me?

I can see it now: “Oh, Luster, sorry for bumping into you! Let me pick up your books! Don’t let Headmare Starlight know!” Or what about: “Luster, normally this paper would be a C at best, but given how hard you worked—and that your mom pays my salary—I’ll give you a B+ instead!”

Being the daughter of the headmare is cool and all, but I don’t want my “influence” to get in the way of learning about friendship!

Well, getting back to the party last night: I didn't realize how much a yak could drink! Barnard drained the punch bowl in half an hour and then demanded more. Thankfully Pinkie was "extra-prepared" and found another punch bowl filled with the stuff. Midnight kind of just stayed at the back of the party, but she did tell me before she left how she hopes I enjoy my time at the school.

Bonfire kept making these horrible fire-related jokes, but I guess since she's a kirin, it fits. Actually, it was really sweet. She used a bit of her nirik side to do some pyrotechnic tricks with the cupcakes, although Pinkie wasn't very happy about that.

Kaiser Roll is really nice. I guess he's the only local pony here, so I'm going to have to rely on him to help me get reacquainted with all the spots that ponies my age hang out. That won't be an issue, though. He's really cute He's really sweet, and he took extra time to make sure I was settled into the dorm room. He just lives a few rooms away, so I'll probably be seeing him the most out of all my new friends.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention that Aunt Trixie spent a bit of time at the party. She may have retired from the magic business years ago, but she wanted to show me some tricks she'd been practicing again. I mean, they weren't very good, but she had fun with them, and the antics made the rest of us laugh a bit.

From her eyes, I could tell that she didn't care if she was making a fool of herself. She was reliving her dream a bit, and with her adoptive niece. Before she left, I gave her a hug. I don't think she was expecting that, as she began crying a bit. We haven't seen each other in a decade, so I wanted to make sure I started off on the right hoof again.

I remember Mom talking about what Aunt Trixie was like when they first met, and it's hard to believe how much she's changed.

If I can be honest for a bit: I'm still scared. Life in Ponyville is so much different than Canterlot, beyond the stuffy attitude already mentioned. It's much more laid back, and ponies spend less time working on the next deadline than socializing and helping each other. I guess friendship really does have a special place here.

But what if I mess up? What if I do some horrible act that turns everycreature away from me? I know that you've trusted me with this. That means so much to me! But... I spent all my time reading and researching magic in that old tower in Canterlot, not bothering with friends.

I mean, basically the only times I saw another pony's face was the off-time Mom and Dad could step away from the school and set up a playdate with a couple of other ponies my age. Oh, and when I gave you in-person reports on my magical studies. I don't know the first big thing about friendship! How am I supposed to tell a happy laugh from a sad laugh? A wink of encouragement from a wink of romantic interest?

But I guess that's why I'm here to learn, right?

Well, okay. That's what I'll do! Friendship: watch out! Here comes Luster Dawn! She'll learn all about you and why you're as magical as you are! Heh, or something like that.

I will write again soon, hopefully with some more news about my friends. I'm going to spend all day with them. Hopefully I'll learn what makes them tick.



Your faithful student,

Luster Dawn



P.S. Are there any good self-help books you recommend for somepony wanting to learn friendship? I think I'll have enough time to get some light reading in.



P.P.S. Tell Spike I say hi and sorry for making him go through more of these spells.