• Published 19th Jun 2020
  • 3,037 Views, 84 Comments

A Pilot's Search - Solarus44



He wandered through an alien land, in search of his friend

  • ...
7
 84
 3,037

Chapter 2

Early morning found Sol sat across from his new charge, he watched the little horse as its chest rose and lowered with every breath. It would occasionally twist and turn, obviously caught in a nightmare of sorts.

Not surprising after last night’s events, Sol thought, a sad look on his face hidden from the world by his helmet.

Getting up, he began preparing breakfast for it. He didn’t know what little horse things ate, but if he had to hazard a guess he didn’t think their diet would be too dissimilar from an Earth horse. Although he didn’t really know what exactly Earth horses ate.

Looking through the pouches on his armour, he found a tube of nutrient paste. The packaging indicated it was vegetable soup flavour. Tastes like piss, but it keeps me from starving on long missions, so it should do for the little guy.

Sol then began picking through the grass on the ground, plucking the greenest and cleanest looking blades from the ground. After a while he had gathered what he thought would be enough.

Grabbing a rather large rock from the riverbed, he set it down in front of the horse, with all the food items on top of it. Call me Gordon fucking Ramsay.

As the long dead Scottish chef no doubt turned in his grave, Sol grabbed his own tube of paste and began chowing down, thinking on his current situation. Finding other intelligent life has always been a fascination of the IMC, glad I managed to beat those assholes to it, even if it was by accident. Looking at the sleeping horse, he smiled. Doesn’t hurt that said intelligent life is adorable.

It wasn’t long until the horse began to stir, slowly opening its eyes. With a groan, it sluggishly got up on all fours. Looking around, its blue eyes found Sol staring at it with a grin on his face. Now that it was day, the biped’s features were clearly visible. Messy brown hair rested on his head, with pale skin and brown eyes.

Picking up the nutrient paste, Sol unscrewed the cap before placing it back on the rock. “Eat, then we can talk.”

The horse cautiously picked up the paste, somehow holding the tube in its hoof. Giving it a lookover, it squeezed the contents of the tube into its mouth. Almost instantly, the little thing’s face scrunched up.

Seeing this, Sol gave a hearty laugh. “Yeah doesn’t taste the best does it? It’ll fill you up though, so keep going.”

The horse glared at Sol, before slowly squeezing the rest of the paste into its mouth, grimacing the whole time. He then directed its attention to the grass. ”I really hope you can eat it, getting all the blades was really bloody tedious.”

Upon seeing the grass, the horse’s features instantly brightened up. Sol didn’t imagine the grass was a delicacy around here, considering its availability, but anything much better then the paste.

The horse dug in, devouring all the grass within a matter of seconds. The speed at which the grass was eaten unnerved Sol, who was used to little kids being the fussiest and slowest eaters in the galaxy.

Now that its stomach was full, the horse looked quite a bit happier.

"Wanna talk now?” He received a nod in response, “So what’s your name?”

“Steel Hammer.”

“This is gonna sound weird, but are you male or female?”

“I’m a colt silly, a male, can’t you tell?” Steel gave a little giggle, like Sol had just asked the most obvious question in the world.

Sol raised his hands in mock defence. “Sorry, kinda new around here. In fact, you’re the first member of your kind I’ve seen. What are you?”

Steel gave a puzzled look. “You don’t know what a pony is, mister? How can you not? We’re, like, everywhere! Oh yeah, where are you from? And what are you? And what’s your name? And wh-” Sol put a finger to the colt’s mouth, silencing his rant.

“Well my name is Sol, I’m a human, and I come from… a place you wouldn’t be able to reach.”

“What does that mean?”

“I can’t really explain it to you. Just trust me when I say it’s really far away.”

Steel was definitely not satisfied with the answer, but decided to stay quiet for now.

“Now, I think we should stop talking. We’ve gotta go find your mother right?” As soon as his mother was mentioned, Steel’s face instantly darkened, looking down to the ground.

“Yeah…”

Frowning, Sol picked up the little guy, getting a little yelp in response. “No need to be so down, I’m sure she’s alright. But if we are gonna go see her, I’m gonna need you to tell me how you ended up in that forest.”

Steel didn’t really seem sad, but more like he was… ashamed. ‘I-I got into an argument with my mum, I was getting really mad and I just… I snapped. I ran out of our house into the rest of the woods. My mum has bone problems, so she wouldn’t have been able to chase me.”

Sol pulled him close, moving a hand over his coat to let him know he was there. “And where is your house?”

“It’s a little cabin in the middle of the woods.”

Sol was rather confused at this, the woods didn’t seem like the best place to live for a kid and a crippled mother. He voiced these concerns to the little pony.

“Oh we get a delivery every month for the items we can’t get. And we don’t stay there all the time, only when school isn’t on. Mum also didn’t always have her problems, and I used to have a dad. But he had a heart attack and…” Tears were beginning to form in his eyes.

Sol grabbed and put the colt onto his knee, giving him a noogie while Steel cried his complaints. “Hey, no need to be sad. We’re gonna get you home, find your mum and have a more edible meal then the one I gave you. Alright?”

A light smile appeared on Steel’s face. “Yeah, that sounds… good.”

Setting the colt back onto the ground, Sol put on his helmet before moving towards the river. “Well c’mon, let’s get going then!”

As he made his way to the river, Steel soon galloped to his side. Looking down, Sol could see a wide smile on his face, obviously eager to see his mum again. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever imagine I’d one day be helping a sapient, talking horse return to his mother.

Reaching the river, Sol picked up the little colt, who knew what was going to happen from last night. By jumping and flaring his Jump Kit, Sol landed on the other side and set Steel down.

The colt ran behind Sol, looking up at the device. “What IS that?”

Motioning for Steel to follow him, Sol began moving into the forest. “It’s my Jump Kit. It grants me an insane amount of mobility. Primarily it allows me to survive any fall, double jump and run on walls. With some creativity it can help me in other ways as well.”

“That’s super duper cool!” Steel exclaimed in excitement, his eye were filled with curiosity.

Sol gave a small chuckle. “Yeah, I guess it is. But right now you need to lead me to this cabin of yours, think you can do that?”

Steel jumped up, pumping a hoof into the air. “Sure can do!” Running in front of Sol, he began to lead the way.

As they went further into the forest, Sol pulled his rifle, his R-201, from his back. He did not feel safe in this place, and as they say, better safe than sorry.
The forest was extremely quiet, the only sound being the occasional bird and the pairs’ footsteps. Or is it hoofsteps for Steel?

Steel eventually broke this silence however. “So Sol?”

Tearing his gaze from the trees and shadows, Sol looked down towards Steel. “Hm?”

“Why are you here anyway? I mean, I’ve never seen anything like you, and you have all this cool stuff! Well, except for that paste.”

Sol pondered his answer for a moment before responding. “To be honest, I don’t know. One moment I’m… home… the next i’m under some trees.” There was some omission of the truth there, but he wasn’t lying when he said he didn’t know.

This answer didn’t seem to satisfy Steel’s youthful curiosity. “Well, then what’s your home like?”

“That’s… a story for another time.” If Sol did not have his helmet on, Steel would have been able to see the human’s empty look.

“But that’s-”

“Please… not right now,” The emotion in Sol’s voice was apparent to Steel, and he held his tongue.

****

“There! It’s one of our totems!” Steel ran ahead towards a small stone figure of what looked to be a Pony in armour.

“A what?”

“A totem. It’s enchanted to keep the mean animals away from the house. But it’s broken.”

Enchanted? What the fuck? “What do you mean by broken?”

Steel pointed towards the statue’s head. “It’s meant to be a unicorn, but the horn has been broken off.”

Looking closer, Sol was able to see that there was a part on the head that used to have something on it. It looked like it had been… torn off.

Readying his rifle, Sol stood in front of Steel. “Stay behind me, do not run off. You see anything, you tell me. You got it?”

The little colt nodded and got behind Sol’s large form. As they moved together into the clearing, Sol could see a double story wooden cabin. There were no lights on. Moving up towards it, he stopped at the door. Putting away his rifle, he drew his B3 Wingman revolver from its holster on his right. With the smaller weapon ready, he slowly pushed open the door.

As he entered the building, he aimed his B3 at every corner and space he could see, making sure there was nothing waiting to spring on him or Steel. Moving forward through the hallway, he heard a rustling sound coming from the door on his left. Looking back to check if Steel was with him, and he was, he slowly opened the door.

A deafening crack sounded through the enclosed space, causing Steel to cover his ears in pain. Inside the room a body slumped to the floor, right on top of a second.

Howls rang throughout the entire cabin, coming from many rooms ahead and the floor above. Sol could hear movement coming from where the howls originated. He grabbed Steel and put himself between the direction of the noises and the terrified young colt.

Then from around the corner, four of those wooden wolves from before appeared. He could still hear some coming from above as well. The ones that had arrived growled at the pony and human, but otherwise did not move towards them.

Waiting for the rest no doubt.

Rather than let the wolves’ reinforcements arrive, Sol decided to take the initiative. Aiming the sights of the B3 on a wolf’s head, he pulled the trigger.

*CRACK*

The wolf fell to the floor with a bullet hole in its head. Upon seeing their fellow wolf slain, the rest charged him.

He managed to fire off one shot and down another wolf before they entered melee range. As one leapt for him, he drew back his fist before punching it in its chest, sending it flying with his enhanced strength. It crashed against a wall, shattering into pieces. Another tried to bite at his legs, but he kicked out with his leg, dooming the wolf to the same fate as Sol’s previous victim.

As Sol began to reach for two more bullets to reload the B3, he saw that the shattered remains of the wolves he’d sent flying began to move back together, forming their former bodies with no apparent injuries.

You’ve gotta be fucking with me.

Not letting them get into melee range again, Sol fired two more shots from his B3.

*CRACK* *CRACK*

When the rounds entered their heads, they went down. This time for good.

Knowing that he needed as much firepower as possible for the next wolves, he put away his B3 and retrieved his R-201 from his back. Moving into a crouched stance, he trained his HCOG sight on the end of the hallway.

As if on cue, the rest of the wolves piled through, and his weapon sounded its fury. A symphony of screams and thunder raged throughout the household.

At the end of it, the ground was littered with wood and spent casings. Waiting for a couple minutes to make sure there were no wolves remaining, he let out a sigh of relief. Sol then turned to face Steel, only to see that he wasn’t there.

Panicked, Sol began to frantically look around, desperate to make sure nothing had happened to the only good thing he had found in this world. It didn’t take him long to find Steel. He found Steel standing in the doorway to the room containing the first wolf.

And its victim.

Rushing to the colt, he pulled Steel away and embraced him, letting him cry on his armoured shoulder.

As the pony cried and wailed, a fire burnt in Sol’s eyes when he looked upon the sobbing foal. He pulled Steel in tighter, and didn’t let go.