• Published 5th Jun 2020
  • 1,526 Views, 74 Comments

The Diplomat's Life - Evilhumour



Life's never simple for a diplomat, as Twilight and her friends face new and unexpected challenges.

  • ...
2
 74
 1,526

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

“And that’s pretty much the whole thing, Sunset,” Twilight said, while consulting with Magic over the finer points that she had just learned herself, like the other Creators. It had taken her quite some time to explain everything, but she’d managed.

“That’s.. a lot to take in,” Sunset said slowly. “How…”

Twilight nodded. “Believe me, in parts of my mind, I’m still freaking out over it,” she said. “And that’s after almost a year and a half of knowing about some of this.”

“So, in some time I will be traveling back and forth?” Sunset asked.

Twilight nodded. “Likely,” she said. “While I don’t know what the full scope of being the Guardian is, it stands to reason that you will be able to go back and forth between our worlds whenever you need to.”

“Thanks Twilight,” she said, smiling at her before looking off to the side. “...Do you think I could come back for a visit?”

“Whenever you’re ready,” Twilight told her. “You know you have a place in Canterlot and my home for you if you ever decided to come and visit, right?”

“Yeah,” Sunset said with a giggle. “Princess Celestia made that pretty clear the last time she was here.” Then she looked down. “And… I do miss Equestria. But I feel like I have more to do here too, you know?”

Twilight nodded. “That’s one of the reasons I went back home when I did,” she said. “I had my responsibilities on that side…” She looked up. “Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like, if I’d just sent my crown back and stayed here, where I could just be a normal student again, instead of being royalty.”

Sunset stared at her in shock. “You? Give up being a princess, for all.. this?”

Twilight nodded. “I couldn’t do it now, knowing everything I do, and everything I’ve done since then… but then? Maybe.”

“Does Flash have anything to do with this?” Sunset asked.

Twilight nodded. “Maybe. I’m over him now…” She looked wistful.

“Someone else you’re thinking of?”

Twilight nodded. “One of my old classmates admitted they were in love with me. And we spent a lot of time getting to know one another all over again… but by the time I was ready to give it a serious try, she’d found someone else.”

Sunset gave her a look. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” Twilight said. “Besides, I… I don’t know. I still care for her though, and as long as she’s happy, that’s what’s really important.”

Sunset smiled and squeezed her hand. “Well, who knows. You’ll find someone, some day, I’m sure.”

Twilight smiled back. “Thank you.”

“I think it’s time we start heading back,” Sunset said. “I mean, I don’t know how much longer your parents are going to be entertained by Principal Celestia and that means they’ll be wandering about soon and could meet Flash.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure,” Twilight said. “Mom’s been wanting to visit this world and see all she can almost ever since she found out about it. I think she’s hoping for inspiration for her next novel.”

“Really?” Sunset looked surprised. “Well, we should go look for them anyway.”

Twilight nodded in agreement, and the two girls headed into the school.

Neither of them noticed a woman coming from the parking lot, who had a look of surprise on her face as she saw Twilight.


Elsewhere in the school, Flash Sentry was just exiting the band room and turning into the hall when he nearly bumped into an unfamiliar face.

“Oops! Sorry, ma’am,” he apologized. “Didn’t see you there.”

The woman smiled. “That’s quite all right,” she said. “I was actually looking for you.”

“For me? Why?”

“Let’s just say I’ve heard interesting things about you from someone very close to me,” the woman said. She held her hand out. “Twilight Velvet. I believe you know my daughter, the Princess?”

Flash nodded, now somewhat nervous. “Er… yes, ma’am.” He nodded his head. “I know her.”

“Are you in a hurry?” Another person asked, a man no doubt Twilight’s father.

“Not particularly,” Flash said. “We just finished up so… I was going to head home.”

“Mind putting that off for a bit while we talk?” Velvet asked. “My daughter has told us how you helped her, the first time she visited. I’d like to know about your side of things.”

Flash nodded. “Yes, ma’am.” He smiled at her and readjusted his bags on his back. “Where should I start?”

“Well… how’d you two meet?” the man asked.

“She kind of stumbled out of a crowd, and I helped her to her feet,” Flash said. “I guess that must have been just a little while after she got here and she wasn’t used to being human yet.”

The man nodded in approval. “Oh, I’m Night Light, by the way,” he said. “Twilight’s father. And what happened next?”

The trio found a place to sit down while Flash explained everything he’d been through since then, and all he knew about the situation. Finally, the two adults exchanged glances.

“No wonder Twilight liked you,” Velvet said. “Now. How, exactly do you feel about her?”

Flash froze nervously. “Honestly, I like her, but…” He shrugged. “She’s a princess, and I’m just a high school student. I couldn’t ask her to give up her life for me and stay here. I respect her too much for that.”

Both nodded approvingly. “Good answer,” Night Light said. “Now, how would you feel about coming back to our side?”

“I really, really don’t know,” Flash said. “I mean, I’ve kind of got plans for what to do after high school.” He sighed. “I wouldn’t mind visiting, but I don’t think I could move there for good, not without freaking out my parents.”

“Understandable.” Velvet rose. “Well, young man, you’ve given us a lot to think about.”

“But one thing is certain,” Night said as he stood too. “Twilight was lucky to have you helping her, and is still lucky to have you as a friend.”

Flash smiled. “Thank you,” he said. “Um… is there any way she and I could stay in contact? I would like to chat with her every now and then.”

“We’ll see,” Velvet said. “I believe Princess Celestia knows the method, we could ask her to arrange it.”

“Thanks.” Flash stood. “Well, I’d better get going. My parents are going to be wondering where I am and-”

Just then, his phone rang.

“And that’s probably them,” he said. “I’ll… see you again, maybe?”

“It all depends,” Night said. “Now, I think you’d better answer that.”

“Right.” Flash pulled it out and hit a button. “Hey, Mom. Still at school. No, nothing’s wrong - just got busy talking with someone. Yeah, I’m heading home now. See you.”

He hung up, and looked at them. “I gotta go now.”

“Have a nice day then,” Velvet said.

When Flash had left, the couple exchanged glances. “He certainly seemed like a nice boy,” Velvet said.

“Mm. Friendly, respectful… a good type for Twilight to have her first crush on.”

“But we know where her heart lies now,” Velvet said.

“Of course.”

“So, shall we go check out their library?”

Night Light smiled and kissed his wife. “After you, my dear.”


It was a few hours later before everyone had met up again in Principal Celestia’s office, including another face who was more familiar to some of them than others, and who’d just had everything explained to her.

“So that’s why I saw a girl who looked just like Twilight outside,” the woman said, an amused look on her face. “And why everyone seemed to know my Twilight during the Games when she’d never been here before.”

Princess Twilight blushed. “Yeah… they thought she was me,” she said. “Thank you for taking care of her at Crystal Prep, by the way.”

“It was my pleasure,” Dean Cadance said. “Twilight has always meant the world to me.”

“Twilights the multiverse over seem to have a tendency to attract people to care for them,” Princess Celestia said. “And yours, quite frankly, needed more help than some… what with that Cinch woman around.”

Cadance nodded. “I quite agree,” she said. “I am glad that she has been removed and that the students she had molded into her pawns are getting the help they need now. I’m going to be spending a lot of time undoing the damage she’s caused.” She shook her head. “I’ve been looking into hiring another counselor or three to help. And Shiny’s using his connections to see if any of his friends know anyone with the right skills who’s looking for a transfer out of their current line of work.”

“What does he do, anyway?” Velvet asked curiously.

“Detective for the Canterlot Police Department. He’ll be taking his Captain’s Exam next year though.”

“Law enforcement here too, then,” Night Light said. “That’s Shining Armor, all right.”

“What does he do on your side?” Cadance asked.

“Well, he used to be Captain of the Royal Guard,” Princess Celestia said. “Then he married your Other, so now they rule the Crystal Empire together.”

“Oh my.”

“Are there really that many looking to transfer out of the police?” Velvet asked.

Cadance nodded. “A few of them… I believe Shiny once described it to me as, they do the best they can for as long as they can, and then get out before they burn out.” She smiled. “That aside, you’d be surprised how many former police profilers have the right psychiatric training to make good counselors.”

“That sounds like it would be a useful skill,” Principal Celestia remarked.

“Speaking of Shiny, how’d he take all of this?” Princess Twilight asked.

“He kind of freaked when he told me to speak and I did,” Spike the dog said. “And he’s mad he didn’t see Cinch for the kind of person she really was sooner. Aside from that, he’s handling it pretty well.”

“And our Others?” Velvet asked.

“They’re just happy that Twilight’s happier now,” Cadance said. “Night and Velvet were both more than willing to encourage her when she wanted to transfer to Everton, and when she decided to come here instead after making friends, they supported her then too.”

“Good.” Velvet smiled. “I know my Twilight, and if yours is as much like mine as I think she is, her coming out of her safety net and meeting others is the best thing for her.”

“I’ve been trying to encourage mine to do that for a long time,” Cadance told her. “So yes, in that regard, I see they’re a lot alike. And I am glad she is doing that on her own.”

“That’s wonderful,” Night Light said, smiling. “She’s really going to blossom with friends by her side.”

Human Twilight blushed with Night Light and Velvet smiling at her.

“Hey… Twilight?” Princess Twilight asked. When her Other looked at her, she continued. “I think you’re in good hands here. And I’m glad to have met you.”

“Even after everything I did?” human Twilight asked in a small voice.

“You weren’t yourself then,” Princess Twilight told her.

“And at least you had better motivations for what you did,” Sunset added. “You just wanted to understand what you’d found, and then got bullied to the breaking point. Me… I started out wanting to stand by my teacher’s side for eternity. But then I became a monster.”

“Sunset…” Princess Celestia said softly, before everyone felt a sudden swell of music in the air.

And then Sunset stepped back, lowered her head and began to sing.

Power,” she began. “was all I desired. But all that grew inside of me, was the darkness I acquired. When I began to fall, and I lost the path ahead, that’s when their friendship found me… and it lifted me instead.” She looked up. “Like a phoenix burning bright in the sky, I’d show there's another side to me you can't deny. I may not know what the future holds, but hear me when I say, that my past does not define me, ‘cause my past is not today.

The others stood and watched as she continued, pony ears appearing and her hair extending into a tail, an almost fiery aura appearing around her.

Ambition, is what I believed… would be the only way to set me free. But when it disappeared, and I found myself alone, that's when they came and got me, and it felt like I was home.” She smiled. “Like a phoenix burning bright in the sky, I’ll show there's another side to me you can't deny. I may not know what the future holds, but hear me when I say, that my past does not define me, ‘cause my past is not today!

Then the song was done, and the magic faded, Sunset returning to her normal human form as she looked at human Twilight.

“My past is not today,” she repeated. “And yours isn’t either, Twilight. That creature you became wasn’t the real you, any more than that demon I became when I stole the Element of Magic was me.” She smiled. “Take it from someone with experience.”

For a moment, there was silence in the room, and then Twilight Velvet let out a low whistle. “That was…”

“Impressive,” Night Light said. “Does that sort of change always happen when you sing?”

“Just for those of us with magic,” Applejack said. “We figured it out a while back, not long before the whole Siren situation. Then, shortly before the Games, we started ponyin’ up without it. A little while before you all showed up, Sunset finally figured out that it was happenin’ when we showed the truest parts of ourselves - our Elements, for most of us, or Sunset’s understandin’ of friendship.”

“Do you think our Twilight could do it too?” Cadance asked, laying a hand on the human Twilight’s shoulder and giving her a comforting squeeze.

“Maybe,” Sunset said. “When she’s ready.”

Princess Twilight smiled. “I think she has the potential,” she said. “Just don’t try to force it, okay?” she told her Other. “It’ll come when the time is right. Stay true to yourself, to that girl who loves her family and learning.”

“We’ll be here for you,” Fluttershy added. “No matter what.”

“All of us,” Rarity said.

Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Pinkie all voiced their agreements too, and human Twilight finally smiled. “All right,” she said. “I trust you.”

As the eight girls gathered into a hug, the Alpha, who’d hung back, traded glances with Principal Celestia. “I wonder if I could achieve a transformation by singing here?” he mused.

“There’s only one way to find out,” his girlfriend told him. “But… not right now, all right? Let them have their time.”

“Of course.” he said, grinning at her. “Besides, if you want to see my fluffier side, you would just need to visit me back on my side of the mirror again.”

Hearing that, Princess Celestia gave them a curious and then contemplative look, almost as if she were considering something, and Principal Celestia gave her a look back.

“If you want me to go to Canterlot and fill in for you for a while, you’ll have to fill in for me at the same time,” she told her Other.

“I actually wouldn’t mind that,” the Princess replied. “Though I would expect you would like to spend time with your boyfriend rather than deal with the equivalent of your students with no real power to send them to detention.”

“And how do you know I can’t figure out how to give myself the legal power do that?” Principal Celestia asked, grinning. “Education may have been my major in college, but political science was my minor, and I like to think I learned quite a lot from it.”

Princess Celestia smiled. “I think we might have a plan here after all. Though I’d have to warn my sister first.”

“Of course.”


It was late in the afternoon when most of the group gathered outside at the Wondercolt statue. Several of the teens had already said their goodbyes and headed for home, but all the adults were present, along with Sunset and human Twilight.

“So this is really a portal to another world?” the human Twilight asked, staring at the statue. Her hand reached out as if to touch it but stopped short of actually doing it.

“One of them,” the Alpha said. “And the only one we are certain is an actual Gateway from this side. There’s a potential weak spot I know of elsewhere, but it isn’t enough to let any actual living being through.”

“Luna and I are actually making arrangements for your class to visit there at some point,” Principal Celestia added. “Officially, it’s a traditional class trip that CHS has made for years, since before my sister and I were students here, but unofficially it’s so you girls can investigate things.”

“Where is this place?” Princess Twilight asked.

“It’s called Camp Everfree,” Luna told her. “And yes, we know about the Everfree in your world, which is one of the reasons we weren’t surprised that this one apparently has magic of some kind in it.”

“I… wow.” Princess Twilight shook her head. “When you do go there, could you make sure to send me all the data?”

“We will,” Principal Celestia said. “And I wish you all could stay longer, it’s been interesting to have other people around who know the truth.”

“We’ll see if we can come back sometime,” Velvet said. “Or at least arrange for more of those journals like Sunset’s, so we can keep in touch.”

“With our borders easing relations, I do not see the former being an issue,” the Alpha said, smiling at her. “Provided the Guardian approves, of course.” he said teasingly.

“I don’t see a problem with it,” Sunset said. “Though we might want to ease into a bit. Some people have taken well to finding out about magic, but I’ve never actually met our Twilight’s parents, so I don’t know how they’d react to meeting Others of themselves.”

“I’ll be there when we tell them,” Cadance assured her. “They trust me.”

“A wise choice,” the Alpha said, tipping his head.

Stepping up to the portal, Twilight paused. “Sunset? Do you think you could… try and come through with us? To see if you can?”

Sunset hesitated. “I… I’ll try, I guess,” she said. “If the Alpha doesn’t mind, it’s his mirror we’re using.”

“As the Guardian of the Gateways, technically I should be asking you if I could use it,” the Alpha said.

Sunset smiled at that and took a deep breath before nodding her head. Stepping up to the portal, she walked through.

Once they’d given her a few minutes, and said their goodbyes to their human friends, Princess Twilight and the others followed her.

Emerging in the back room of the Alpha’s office, the first thing Twilight saw was Sunset, in her unicorn body, staring at herself in amazement.

“It’s been… so long,” she said. “I’d almost forgotten what it was like to be walking on all fours.”

“As you travel between the worlds more regularly, you will learn to adjust,” the Alpha said as he shook himself. “It took me some time to adjust as well.”

“I can see why,” Velvet said as she looked around. “That was quite the experience.” She beamed. “But it was fun!”

“I agree,” Night said, before checking on Spike, who’d gone back to his normal self as well.

“At least this time we didn’t have any magical threats to deal with,” Celestia remarked. “And it was nice to actually get to know my Other, and my sister’s.” She looked at Twilight. “And yours too,” she said. “She will definitely be much happier at Canterlot High.” She frowned. “I might have to look into this world’s Abacus Cinch though, to see what kind of person she is.”

“A wise notion, especially after warning your Other about this Cozy Glow.” The Alpha frowned. “I do hope there is some way she can be helped.”

“So do I,” Celestia said. “Oh - Sunset, when you go back, would you make sure our Others tell Cadance about her too?”

“I will,” Sunset promised.

Suddenly, Spike belched up a swirl of fire that reformed into a letter, with Twilight blinking in surprise as she opened it, reading it quickly before gasping loudly.

“Cadance has gone into labour!”

Several sets of eyes widened, before Celestia turned to the Alpha. “I must apologize for leaving in a hurry, but-”

“But your niece needs you,” the Alpha said. “Go, and may all be well with her. I will arrange a formal visit for myself later, if you do not object.”

“That’s fine by me,” Celestia said, before she and the others turned to leave. Then, she hesitated. “Sunset? Do you want to come with us?”

“I… I don’t think I’m quite ready,” Sunset admitted. “I’ll see Cadance another time.”

Celestia looked disappointed, but nodded understandingly. “All right. We’ll see you again as soon as we can,” she said.

“I look forward to it,” Sunset said.

When the four ponies and Spike had left, Sunset looked at the Alpha. “Well, back home, I guess.”

“Safe tidings, Guardian,” the Alpha said. “I will see you again.”

Sunset nodded, and then walked through the portal.

When she emerged on the other side, she found the human Celestia, Luna, Cadance and Twilight, and her Spike, all waiting for her.

“That was fast,” Principal Celestia remarked.

Sunset nodded. “They got a sudden letter and had to go,” she said. “Cadance - the other Cadance - is having her foal.”

Dean Cadance’s eyes widened. “My goodness!”

“Oh, and they asked me to make sure you knew about that other mare, that Cozy Glow,” Sunset said.

“Who?” Cadance asked.

Celestia laid a hand on Cadance's shoulder. “I’ll tell her,” she said, before she began describing the mare Princess Twilight had told them about.

Giving them their space, Sunset, Twilight and Spike walked a little ways away, before Sunset gave her friend a smile. “Hey.”

“Hey.” Twilight said back.

“So, um… my Celestia said she was going to see what their world’s Cinch is like, just in case she’s like the one here,” Sunset said. “And if she is, they’ll make sure she doesn’t get to do to anyone like she did to you.”

Twilight nodded. “That’s good,” she said.

Looking up at the setting sun, the two girls were silent for a moment, before Sunset cleared her throat. “So… got anything you need to do tomorrow, or are you free to come over to my place and hang out?”

Twilight smiled. “As long as Spike can come too, I’d love to.”

“Sure thing.”


The journey from the Great Mound to the capital of the Crystal Empire took them some time, but between Spike and Twilight trading off periodically and napping in shifts, they made it there by morning.

Shining Armor was waiting for the five when they arrived, and though looking more than a little exhausted himself, he happily greeted them.

“Luna and Pharynx are flying in today with the girls,” he said. “I didn’t expect you to get in quite this early, especially with everything that was going on.”

“The portals didn’t startle her into premature labor, did they?” Celestia asked.

“No, she had a feeling it would have happened soon enough anyway,” Shining Armor said. “But… Princess, there’s something you need to see.”

The five traded looks before following him towards the nursery.

As they arrived in the room, Shining Armor pointed them to the crib where the infant lay, peacefully sleeping with Cadance watching over her. The Princess of Love looked up to see them and smiled happily as they approached.

When she stood over the infant, Twilight smiled down at her, and at the visible horn on the child’s head. “She’s such a sweetheart,” she said in a happy but low voice.

Not low enough though, as her niece opened her eyes and, seeing her, burbled happily as she waved her little hooves, at the same time causing the wrappings to fall away and expose…

Wings.

Celestia gasped. “The baby is an alicorn?” she said, stunned.

Cadance nodded. “I… I’d hoped,” she said. “But I didn’t know until she was born.”

Celestia still looked stunned. “The first naturally-born alicorn since my sister,” she said in a hushed tone, before laughing in delight. “This… this is a miracle!” she said with her eyes beginning to tear up from joy. “I never knew how much your ascension changed you two, but here is the proof. Congratulations, Cadance, the mother of the alicorn race reborn!”

Cadance looked happy. “Thank you, Aunt Celestia,” she said.

The infant burbled again, her tone just as happy as her mother’s and great-aunt’s.

“This is amazing,” Twilight said as she leaned down to nuzzle her little niece. “Hi,” she told her.

The baby giggled, then leaned up and pressed a hoof against her snout, causing Twilight to giggle too.

Then she stepped back so her parents could greet their first grandfoal.

Spike, meanwhile, stood back a bit to give them space.

“You’re her family too, you know,” Shining Armor told him.

“Yeah, I know,” Spike said. “I’ll get there.” He smiled. “In fact, I know just what to say when I say hi to my cousin… if you don’t mind a little baby talk, that is.”

“No, that’s fine,” Shining Armor told him.

“Right.” Spike took a deep breath, then, when Night and Velvet had backed up, walked over and hung his head over the edge of the crib.

“Who’s a cute little alicorn baby? You are! You are!” he said with a grin.

The infant burbled happily and waved her hooves at him.

“That’s right,” Spike told her. “I’m your cousin Spike.”

The infant giggled.

“I think she likes me,” Spike said as he got down.

Cadance smiled happily. “That’s our little girl,” she said, beaming.

“Are Aria and Sonata here?” Velvet asked.

Cadance nodded. “They’ll be in in a bit,” she said. “Aria had to talk with some of the windigos about something, and Sonata’s with her.”

Just then, the door flung open, and a scowling siren floated in. “I. Hate. Politics,” she spat, before glancing over to the crib, her gaze instantly softening. Then she looked up at Cadance.

“So this is the little one,” she remarked. “Congratulations. Cute kid.”

“And she’s got wings so she can fly!” Sonata said eagerly as she popped up. “Just like her mama!”

Cadance nodded. “If she’s anything like I was, it might take a month before she starts flying,” she said. “It all depends.”

“Actually,” Celestia started before she saw her great-niece fluttering her wings and hovering out of the crib. “Well, it looks like she takes after Luna and I in that regard.”

“She’s less than a day old and she can fly already?” Spike asked, clearly stunned. “Whoah.”

Celestia nodded. “Alicorns do that,” she said. “Our parents had to put special limiter spells on us until we were a year old or so, to keep our surges under control.”

Twilight eyed her. “And you never did that for me, why?”

“They were designed for infant alicorns, not unicorns of any age,” Celestia said. “Regardless of your capability back then, such a spell could have had long lasting effects on your magical growth. That and I don’t actually know those spells myself, so I couldn’t use them.”

“Hmm.” Twilight looked contemplative for a moment, then nodded. “I can do it.”

Celestia looked startled, before her own eyes whitened for a moment.

Spike looked between them, then shook his head. “I know that kind of thing’s important, but it’s still unnerving to watch,” he muttered.

Then both mares opened their eyes, and Celestia smiled. “Yes,” she said. “We can do it now.”

At Cadance’s nod, both alicorns lit up their horns, and a spell weave appeared over the infant’s body, settling into her.

When the glow faded, the two nodded. “It’ll wear off in a year or so,” Twilight said. “By then, her surges should have calmed down.”

“How did you-” Aria started.

“It’s related to our Mantles,” Cadance said. “Magic was talking to you, wasn’t she?”

“Our Mantles can talk to us?” Aria seemed stunned, before she shook her head. “Why am I not surprised, Lord Health did say Hatred had accepted me,” she muttered.

“Has Hatred not spoken to you yet?” Celestia asked.

“Not that I remember,” Aria said. “Does yours…”

“Day is a quiet sort,” Celestia said. “I can’t vouch for my sister’s Mantles. Though I understand Magic and some of her fellow sub-Powers have been more vocal lately.” She quirked her head. “I didn’t realize she could still speak to me, until the last time… when I needed her help against your predecessor, Aria.”

“So that’s why you suddenly got that extra boost,” Sonata said. “I wondered.”

Celestia nodded, then looked in Aria’s direction. The other siren just shrugged. “It got us out from under her fins, so I’m not complaining.”

“Love whispers to me sometimes,” Cadance suddenly said, with everyone turning to her. “Not very often, but if I need some help… she actually started talking to me for the first time soon after we drove Chrysalis away, and helped encourage me when I was keeping Sombra out after the Crystal Empire returned.”

“Huh.” Aria looked around. “Well, Hatred will talk to me in their own time, if they feel like it,” she said. “As long as I’ve got Cady and my sister, I’m good.” She glanced in Shining Armor’s direction. “And you too. Intellectual equals are hard to find.”

“Thanks,” Shining Armor said. “I doubt I will be able to make it this week’s O&O, all things considered.”

“Completely understandable,” she replied before noticing the look she was getting from Twilight. “What? It’s a good game, and the windigos enjoy it too.”

Twilight just shook her head. “Do you think they’d mind Spike filling in for his uncle?”

“Not likely, as long as he’s not like that one dungeon master I heard rumors about,” Aria replied. “The one who kept railroading things so nobody would win?”

“Not a problem,” Spike told her. “If I ever do that kind of thing, it’s so the players have the right combination of skills to win.”

“Works for me.” she said, gesturing for him to follow. “I will introduce you to some if that’s okay.”

Spike grinned, and waddled out of the room after her.

“Never knew Aria was into that sort of thing,” Twilight said.

Shining Armor nodded. “I introduced her to it. Aside from the fact that she keeps making evil sorceresses that we have to beat when she’s playing the DM, and they all look like Adagio, she’s really good at it.”

“... Oh-kay then.”

“She still has her own issues with Adagio and she is working through them,” Cadance said a bit sternly. “I understand her reasoning and her feelings, and trust me, this is the best for her.”

Twilight held up a hoof. “I’m not saying it’s bad, I get where she’s coming from,” she said. “But she could be a little more creative about it.”

“Think Spike’ll show her the Sqwizard?” Shining Armor asked.

“Probably,” Twilight told him.

“The who?” Celestia asked, looking lost.

“Part squid, part wizard,” Twilight said. “When he plays Ogres & Oubliettes, he likes to make up all kinds of wild villains to go up against, and the Squizard is his favorite. Especially since we found out about Squirk and learned there really was an evil octopus-like monster out there.”

“I see,” Celestia said, still looking a bit lost. “I think.”

“Don’t worry,” Cadance said as she came over to her aunt. “We’ll explain everything.”

As the three alicorns chatted, Night and Velvet looked over at Sonata. “So, we haven’t actually met Adagio herself,” Velvet said. “But… we asked about her while we were in the other world earlier today.”

Sonata looked at them curiously. “How’s she doing?”

“Well, Sunset said she’d lost her sense of tact, and made the school nurse blush in health class…” Night said.

Sonata blinked. “Um… okay, that’s new,” she said. “Adagio always said tact was a good way to keep people under her control.”

“Really.” Velvet looked at her. “Tell us more. About her as a person, that is.”

Sonata nodded, before waving them on. “Not in front of your granddaughter,” she said. “This isn’t the kind of stuff she should be hearing.”

The unicorn couple nodded, and followed her out of the room, leaving just Shining Armor and three alicorn mares (and one alicorn infant) in the room.

“Well,” Twilight said. “That was unexpected.” She tilted her head. “And Magic is telling me to give my niece a hug for her.”

Cadance smiled, and scooped the infant up, letting her wave her front hooves at Twilight again. Taking her into her own hooves and holding her close, Twilight smiled.

Then the infant nuzzled her neck, and she felt her heart melt of happiness.