• Published 5th Jun 2020
  • 1,312 Views, 96 Comments

Fractured Moon - DefiantPosition



After ousting Celestia, Nightmare Moon has to govern her own country now

  • ...
7
 96
 1,312

A Split in the Road

At the Canterlot air base Stars Whirl is waiting on her plane to take her back to the Disciples of the Night. The words of Rarity are still stuck inside her head. "What if I am wrong?". Stars Whirl likes to thing that she knows Starry Glory well enough since they fought together in the civil war but she would be lying is she said that he wasn't an extremist.

Everyone knows about the infamous incidents like when Starry Glory wanted to, as he put it "rid the land of Equestrian filth" but there where many other smaller and less infamous incidents. At one point Starry drafted an order that said that said that all non-batponies should be evicted from their homes and put in camps to be observed to make sure that they weren't spies.

When Stars Whirl found out about this she had managed to subtlety dissuade Starry from going forward with his idea, on the grounds that they didn't have enough staff to conduct such an operation.

But even if she doesn't like Starry's political ideas that doesn't mean he is a danger to the Lunar Empire as Rarity put it, right? It were days like this that almost make Stars Whirl miss the civil war. Back then everything was simple, there was an enemy to shoot at, territory to take over, the enemy could always be trusted to shoot back.

There was no scheming behind the curtains or difficult political questions that required one to placate all sides involved. All she had to worry about is how to keep the Lunar Empire safe.

Stars Whirl uses her magic to grab her watch, the sooner she can leave this place of political intrigues and go back to just doing her job the better. But she has no such luck her plane won't arrive for another half hour.

As Stars Whirl puts her watch back in her pocket she is interrupted by a voice from behind.

"If it isn't the great general Stars Whirl, fancy seeing you hear."

"Oh no." The grey unicorn whispers, she has to stop herself from letting out a deep sigh.

"Starry how are you doing? I thought you would be gone by now." She speaks kindly while putting on the best fake smile she can manage.

"Oh things couldn't be better. We are at the verge of achieving greatness, all of our dreams are about to come true." He speaks enthusiastically but his eyes convey something more sinister, like a cat getting ready to pounce on a small bird.

Stars Whirl knows Starry isn't one for small talk. He only does things with a purpose so if he is speaking to her he must want something, and Stars doesn't wan't to spend half an hour listening to his rambling.

"I am guessing you aren't here to just ponder about the future together, aren't you?" She asks politely.

Starry's smile quickly disappears and is replaced by a very serious look.

"You are correct, although it wasn't just a thought when I said we are on the verge of greatness. We are, but now I find myself in need of help to clear the few remaining obstacles on the road."

"And what exactly are those obstacles?" Stars Whirl asks but she already knows she is not going to like the answer.

"Even though we have won the war and defeated Celestia's armies there is still the enemy within. Ponies sitting in their homes wishing for Celestia to return to power and there are also those who have the will to act to restore this dream." Starry Glory speaks.

Stars Whirl frowns. Here it is again. Starry Glory's endless obsession with the internal enemy always seeing pony spies around every corner. Whenever something goes wrong it is always the fault of regular ponies, never can something happen by accident, it is always the ponies who did it. Sometimes Stars Whirl wonders if he actually believes the words he says or if he knows it is nonsense and is just looking for an excuse to kill regular ponies.

"And how do you plan to stop this problem?" Stars asks, it getting increasingly difficult to keep her polite tone.

"During the next meeting I am going to submit a proposal to Nightmare Moon to change the Night Guard from just being her bodyguards to also being an intelligence service with the means and authority to protect the Lunar Empire from those who wish to destroy it." Starry Glory speaks with passion.

Stars Whirl attempt at staying polite fails. Again, another one of his plots against non batponies and to no doubt facilitate his batpony supremacist ideas.

"And naturally you would want to be put in command of this reformed Night Guard?" She states bluntly.

Luckily for her Starry Glory is too busy fantasising about his organisation to notice the rude tone of Stars.

"Well it is going to be a batpony exclusive unit so it would make sense for their representative to assume control but of course it is Nightmare Moon's decision."

Having found the strength again to act polite Stars Whirl asks the question that has plagued her since the beginning of this conversation.

"So why are you telling me all of this?"

Starry Glory quickly glances around to make sure that there aren't any creatures eavesdropping. When he is sure he steps closer to Stars and begins to whisper.

"I realise that my ideas are not very popular among some circles. Rarity is going to downvote my ideas no matter what they are because she only care about maintaining the status quo and keeping batponies weak, and many in the military establishment will not tolerate any proposal that takes power away from them or even just gives power to other organisations."

Stars Whirl rolls her eyes at this. Starry really loves to just ramble on and on about how everyone was against and how he was the only one who was right. Stars isn't sure if he really thinks of himself as a misunderstood prophet or if he just loves to hear himself talk.

"And while there is no doubt in my mind that Nightmare Moon will see the necessity of my proposal and support it regardless of what other creatures say, it is going to be a lot easier to convince her if I am not the only one supporting it. And if there is one thing I know about you, it is your absolute loyalty to the Lunar Empire and Nightmare Moon so if there is anyone who would see why my proposal is necessary it is you."

Stars Whirl feels really drained after Starry finishes his speech. This was not an uncommon phenomenon, almost all of their conversations had this effect on her. She really just wanted to go home.

"I can't say at the moment. I need some time to think about this, there are many aspects I need to take into account." She answers as kindly as possible although her eyes betrayed her tiredness of this situation.

"I understand. I look forward to hearing your answer." Starry Glory answers although he doesn't succeed in hiding the disappointment in his voice.

After saying goodbye Stars Whirl walks away, her plane has just arrived. As she takes her seat she realises that Starry is getting more and more ambitious with his plans. But does it warrant what Rarity is suggesting?

She doesn't know the answer. Maybe after a good night sleep everything will become clear.

Author's Note:

I have decided to remove the violence and death tags because even tho there will be violence and death at a later point in the story, it isn't the main focus of it.