• Published 5th Jun 2020
  • 1,305 Views, 96 Comments

Fractured Moon - DefiantPosition



After ousting Celestia, Nightmare Moon has to govern her own country now

  • ...
7
 96
 1,305

Mending the Cracks

Nightmare Moon is laying in her bed, warmly tugged away underneath her blankets. She is exhausted both physically and emotionally, first hearing that her only friend died, then finding out that she survived and then having to deal with a coup attempt that she allowed to happen due to her own negligence. This all weights heavily on her mind.

Specifically the last part is bothering her. Can she punish Starry Glory for a crime that he did commit but she herself also allowed to happen? She thinks back to her conversation with her sister a while back about students following their teacher. There really is no major difference between what he did when she first asked for his help three years ago and what he has done now.

However Starry Glory did commit treason against not only her but also the Lunar Empire and all its citizens. And if he had succeeded he would not have stopped killing until the last pony would have died. It would have been the biggest mass murder in Equestrian history. So he should and would receive a punishment, both as an example to others and to satisfy her own desire for vengeance. But what kind of punishment would be suitable for such a crime, would she just execute him and be done with it, banish him to the moon for a thousand years, have him be tortured for the rest of his life or perhaps something else entirely.

She looks out of her bedroom window, her beautiful moon gracing the entire landscape with its light. She remembers being stuck there all alone, hundreds of miles away from any other living being. A small smile creeps on her face, even though by all accounts she should hate that place with every fibre in her very being, she can't help but be amazed by the beauty of her former prison.

Of course Nightmare Moon can't think about her moon without thinking about her sister who send her there. The same sister who despite being completely out of touch of what has and is happening managed to be correct about Nightmare Moon's problems, violence will always lead to more violence. The queen of the night sighs deeply, she knows what needs to be done, it won't be easy and many creatures will hate it, but if there is one thing she has learned these last couple of days is that she needs to take charge herself and not allow others to dictate events.

The following morning Starry Glory wakes up in his prison. The Lunar Castle doesn't have a dungeon apart from the one for Celestia, so they had to improvise for Starry. They had him locked up in a small magazine for office supplies. Starry Glory didn't sleep well, there was no room for a bed and even if there was, he doubts they would have given him one.

Starry thinks about his future, he knows Nightmare Moon will kill him for his actions, she has a knack for violence. Yet strangely he doesn't feel sad about the situation. He has done everything he can for his kind and he is proud that he will be able to die for his ideals. Future generations will write songs about his sacrifice, a misunderstood martyr who fought for batponies before anyone else.

His train of thought is stopped when the door of his prison opens, revealing Nightmare Moon's imposing figure standing behind it. She is as intimidating as always, towering high above every other creature, however in contrast to their previous meeting this time Nightmare Moon seems far less angry, in fact she is smiling.

"I have found a punishment suitable for your crimes."

The batpony suddenly finds himself wrapped in Nightmare Moon's magic, he is slowly levitated into the air forcing him to stand up. Nightmare Moon begins to casually stroll away. It is obvious that Starry Night is supposed to follow her, which he does. Truth and justice are on his side and no punishment can change that. As he follows Nightmare Moon he see's Rarity and Stars Whirl glaring at him.

Nightmare Moon and Starry Glory enter a staircase and begin walking downwards. Very quickly the staircase becomes darker and darker however this doesn't bother Starry and Nightmare Moon too much as they are both nocturnal creatures and there eyes can adapt quickly. Eventually they reach a familiar dark room, the batpony wonders why he is being taken here.

"Why would Nightmare Moon take me to Celestia?" he ponders.

They enter Celestia's prison and immediately Starry Glory can feel the oppressive darkness reaching out and grabbing him, slowly draining away his night seeing abilities, also his wings start to feel weird and when he tries to move them he finds out that to his horror, he can't move them anymore. A tiny part of him starts to feel a little bit sorry for Celestia, being stuck in this place must be a total nightmare. Nightmare Moon uses her magic to light up the room.

Celestia is laying in the corner, seemingly unaware of her two visitors. Nightmare Moon however knows better, Celestia is a very social being, there is a reason that she always referred to her citizens as "her little ponies" she needed them just as much as they needed her, so there is no way she would give up to opportunity to talk to someone, even if it is her warden.

Nightmare Moon takes a deep breath.

"I Nightmare Moon queen of the Lunar Empire and ruler of the moon have decided to give you, Celestia former princess of Equestria and past ruler of the sun, amnesty for crimes committed against the Lunar Empire."

"What!!!"

Starry Glory's voice fills the room but Celestia isn't idle either, within the blink of an eye she is standing upright and staring at Nightmare Moon intensely, her eyes radiating a mixture of surprise and happiness. Nightmare Moon continues.

"However you are prohibited from having any form of authority, you are not allowed to raise or lower the sun, you will publicly accept my rule and You are prohibited from making any political statements."

Celestia can only reply with one word.

"Why?"

Nightmare Moon sighs. This is the difficult part.

"Because if there is anything I have learned from these past few days," she glances at Starry Glory. "it is that you where right , I have set a horrible example to my citizens, so today I will teach them that while violence is sometimes necessary, one shouldn't use it lightly."

She motions Celestia with her wing that she can leave, which Celestia does without question, but not before taking one last look at Nightmare Moon, her expression being one of gratitude but also pride, the same pride Celestia had in her sister three years ago when Luna decided to fight for batpony rights and this all began. It isn't easy for Nightmare Moon to admit her mistakes, particularly to her sister, but seeing that smile again after all these years makes it all worth it.

After Celestia leaves, Nightmare Moon turns her attention to Starry Glory who is still stunned by what just happened.

"So how do you like your new room?" She asks, putting on the sweetest on most innocent voice she can muster.

"Your not going to kill me?"

"No I am not going to make you a martyr for your twisted cause and I am not going to give you the chance to spread your hatred in a public trial. You will simply spend the rest of your life in this room. I will prohibit everyone from even mentioning the events of the last few days, I will write your name out of every book and every picture of you shall be burned. No one will know what you did, no one will know you even existed in the first place. That is your punishment."

Not even being bothered to wait for his reply, Nightmare Moon walks away, leaving Starry Glory in his cell.

As the door closes behind Nightmare Moon, Starry continues to stand, not moving from where Nightmare Moon left him. He can't seem to form a cohesive sentence. There is only one thing on his mind, he has lost, nothing more nothing less, no epic finale or heroic last stand. Just losing.

Upstairs Nightmare Moon is greeted by Rarity and Stars Whirl.

"I am guessing Starry now occupies the dungeon?" Rarity asks.

"Yes it seemed like the best option. By having Celestia alive I can show that we aren't just mindless thugs who only know violence, but responsible leaders who use violence when necessary but otherwise use peaceful measures. Also a reformed Celestia is a great propaganda victory for me, showing than I can even convince the leader of the enemy to switch sides."

Nightmare Moon moves closer to Rarity.

"Between the two of us, it was also nice to see Celestia smile again."

With that the cracks that has seemed unrepairable have mended and the future of the Lunar Empire and it's ruler is as bright as the full moon.

Author's Note:

I am soo sorry for the big delay, a combination of severe writers block and having to work on other projects prevented me from writing.

The story is finally finished. I have learned many lessons that will help me write better stories in the future.

I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Comments ( 14 )

Great story!

Is there going to be a sequel to this story?

awesome chapter cant wait for the next story i still say a trial and firing squad will stop other from mutiny :pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

10398268
I agree but my problem was that I couldn't come up with a better ending that didn't feel like needless padding.

10398125
I am glad you liked it. I have many ideas so don't worry about that:raritywink: Starry is one of those characters that no matter what gruesome punishment you can come up with it never is enough:flutterrage:

10398092
Thank you I really enjoyed writing it. As for your question, at first I didn't want a sequel but reading your comment I do realise that there are some more stories within this world that I can tell. Maybe something about Celestia and the Main 6 (without Rarity).

10398315
All living in a Nightmare Moon ruled world. Celestia out of her cell, but without political/authoritative power. Interacting with Twilight. Maybe the Mane 5 can meet with Rarity and Nightmare Moon and interact with them. Just suggestions.

10398320
Good suggestion and maybe some of the main 5 also want to rise up against Nightmare Moon whereas others just want to live in peace. I can definitely work with this, thanks for the suggestion.

10398372
While Celestia is either persuading them not to rebel or is working with them with both Nightmare Moon and Rarity not knowing.

You’re welcome!

10398406
Great idea, like I said before I wasn't going to make a sequel but I am glad you convinced me otherwise, because these are some good idea's that can become a great story.

10499382
No it's fine just the way it is. I wasn't trying to point out something wrong per say. I just find it odd that Nightmare Moon would use that phrase, especially after she's won the war.

So I take it there's no eternal night in this fic?

10500921
Oh ok. No there isn't an eternal night in this story. Nightmare Moon realised that an eternal night would destroy all life.

10502055
I am soooo COMFUSED.


There is sooo little explanation and lore.
Cars, planes and guns?????
I have so many questions

And it this just goes 'Here's a small scene of the past, now back to the comfusing present.'

11466537
It is based on the Equestria at War mod for Hearts of Iron 4, which adds a bunch of 1930/40's technologies, so hence the car's, tanks, aircraft etc.

I can only say that I really wasn't a good writer back then (still not very good, but hopefully a bit better).

Login or register to comment