• Published 16th May 2020
  • 1,584 Views, 10 Comments

Confessions - Mystic Sunrise

  • ...
20
 10
 1,584

Unwanted Reunion and Awkward Confessions

Sunset turned to Princess Twilight and glared at her in a way she hadn't done since before the Fall Formal. "You never said a thing about Princess Celestia being here, Twilight!"

Twilight didn't back down under the harsh look she was getting. "Because we both know you wouldn't have come if you had known, Sunset! You've been running away from this for long enough."

Sunset ground her teeth. "Because I'm not ready Twilight."

Twilight frowned. She knew she was crossing a line by going here, but it was her last resort. "Are you telling me that everything that happened during the Battle of the Bands, what we and our friends did, what you did during the Friendship Games, was for nothing? That it was all a waste?"

Sunset visibly recoiled, as if struck. Twilight fought back her own tears at the sight. She had never wanted this to go this way, but there was no stopping now. "I never took you for a coward Sunset. Even during the Fall Formal, you never once backed down, even when you knew you couldn't win. I respected you for that, if for nothing else."

Twilight finally turned away and walked to the door out of the room. "Go back to Canterlot High if you want then. I won't stop you. Maybe one day, I'll get over this. But it won't be for a long time."

Nopony saw the tears streaming down Twilight's face as she came to the door. Never once did she look back during all of this. Even Sci Twi and Princess Celestia were stunned by what had been said. They shared a look of sorrow between them, but neither knew what to say.

Twilight's hoof was on the doorknob, but a voice stopped her. "Twilight. Wait."

Twilight paused, but she didn't look back. "What is it Sunset?"

Sunset trotted over to the princess and threw her hooves around her neck. Twilight was stunned by the display as she turned to look at the unicorn, who bore a small smile. "You're right. I've never run from anything." She glared at the princess once more, but it was gentle this time. "And don't you dare say what we and our friends did was for nothing."

Twilight smiled slightly but was still hesitant as she looked at Princess Celestia, who began to look hopeful. "Then stop running Sunset. You know you both want this."

Sunset nodded, though she still looked doubtful, Twilight pulled her into a hug. One seemed to help Sunset's confidence. With a heavy gulp and a look of fear, Sunset turned toward her former mentor.

Sci Twi had a good eye to join her princess counterpart by the door, as Princess Celestia gained an unknowable expression as Sunset came before her.

Sunset looked up into the eyes of the pony she almost considered her second mother and steeled herself. "Princess Celestia. The last time we saw each other, I was your snide little pupil who betrayed and abandoned you. All because I thought I was something I wasn't and didn't deserve."

"I wouldn't have put it that way," Twilight whispered, Sci Twi shushing her.

Sunset shook her head. "I mean that I come before you a changed pony, humbly asking for forgiveness, guidance, and knowledge."

Princess Celestia's gaze hardened as she took a step forward toward Sunset, who gained a look of fear, as her ears drooped. "Or I can just go, and you never have to see or hear from me ever again," she whispered, as her head bowed. Only to be lifted by a golden shoe clad hoof.

Princess Celestia's hard gaze only lasted a second more, but it melted into one of pure joy and happiness. "I've missed you, Sunset Shimmer," she said, barely keeping her voice level.

That was all it took for Sunset, as she let her tears flow now, as she was pulled into a hug. One that she had missed for so long, as she returned it. "I'm... I'm so sorry."

Both Twilights couldn't help but squee in delight as they watched the scene unfurl, Princess Twilight draping a wing over her counterpart, who leaned into the embrace.

Princess Celestia and Sunset held their hug for a time before they finally released. Both looked happier than either had in a long time. And it was a huge weight off of the princess's shoulders as she trotted over to the two of them and placed a hoof on Sunset's shoulder. "I'm sorry I said what I did Sunset. I never wanted to have to say it. But it was either that or lock the two of you in here until you made up."

Sunset rolled her eyes. "Glad it didn't come to that then. And you were right Twilight. I was avoiding this for too long. And I thought I knew better after the Friendship Games. Guess not."

The two of them giggled as Sci Twi joined them. Princess Celestia meanwhile, finally took in the new pony completely. "So you're the pony Princess Twilight has told me so much about," she said with a smile.

Sci Tw blushed, as she poked the floor with a hoof. "Good things I hope?"

Celestia nodded. "They have been nothing but good things. She has also said that you have quite the beautiful underwater form." She tapped her chin. "What was it called again?"

Sci Twi's blush grew even hotter, as Twilight looked away bashfully. "Mermaid. My underwater form is called a mermaid. Half-human, half fish," she replied. "I don't know if it was a one time form during the Dance. Or if I could change into it again." She looked at her necklace. "I haven't used this since that day."

Celestia nodded. "If you can picture yourself fully in that form, your Pearl will change you into that form. It responds to you alone now. No other can use it."

Now Sci Twi and Sunset shared a concerned look. This remark brought back up part of the reason why they were in Equestria in the first place. "I hope so. Have you heard about what happened at Camp Everfree?" Sunset asked.

Celestia and Twilight shared a look. "Only what Princess Twilight has told me. I am glad that everyone is alright. It is concerning though that magic seems to be getting stronger in your world, where it does not exist naturally. Am I correct?" Celestia asked.

Sci Twi nodded. "Up until I started looking into what was going on at Canterlot High, I didn't believe it existed either. But now it seems to be everywhere, and it seems to affect people the same way."

Princess Celestia nodded as she walked to the door. "Perhaps you should tell us the full story. But in someplace more comfortable than in here, don't you think?"

Nopony could really argue with that, and so everypony made their way to the Dining Room, to hear the full story.

***

Princess Celestia listened gravely, as Sci Twi and Sunset finished the full stories of everything that had happened during the Friendship Games and the recent events at Camp Everfree.

Once away from the Small Library where the World Mirror was kept, the group had retreated to the Dining Room. Princess Twilight had been kind enough to make tea for them all. Even if Sunset was more of a coffee lover.

"This is troubling. I had no idea it had become as bad as it has in your world," the Solar Princess finally said, as Sunset finished up the stories.

Sci Twi though had a question, one that had been brought up by thinking of the Friendship Games and her former teammates. "Um. Do you know anyone? Er. Anypony from Crystal Prep here?"

Celestia shook her head, smiling slightly. "Only Fleur de Lis. She is Canterlot's most renowned Escort. And while she can be as cutthroat as any of the Canterlot Elite, she is nothing like the young woman you described once you get to know her properly."

Princess Twilight nodded. "And I asked Princess Luna if she knew anything about the Shadowbolts. All she said was that they used to be her own Personal Flying Squadron, like the Wonderbolts are for Princess Celestia, a thousand years ago. But they disbanded after Nightmare Moon."

Sunset shook her head, foalhood memories coming back. "Hard to believe all those Nightmare Night stories were true. Except for eating foals I hope?"

Celestia nodded, looking sheepish. "It is true that it is false. Luna has never truly forgiven me for that bit of lore. But ponies after a time believed it, no matter what I said."

"What about Gaia Everfree?" Sci Twi asked.

Twilight and Princess Celestia shared a look. "I'd never heard of that legend until you mentioned it. And Ponyville sits right next to the Everfree Forest. Applejack's family had never heard of it either," Twilight replied.

Celestia nodded. "I must admit that I do not know it either. And I have lived long enough to know quite a few legends and myths. This one is new to me as well."

Sunset sighed as she looked at her geode. "So. I guess you don't know what these are then?"

Celestia shook her head. "I am sorry Sunset. But I can feel a great amount of magic within your own and Sci Twi's. What it means, I cannot say. I trust you both know not to misuse this power correctly?"

Both girls nodded vigorously. "I learned my lesson after the Friendship Games. I won't make that mistake again," Sci Twi replied.

Sunset nodded. "And I got the message after the Fall Formal. No more misusing magic for me." She smiled slightly. "Though I bet Rainbow Dash uses her speed all the time if she gets the chance."

That got a chuckle out of everypony. "Then I fear there is little that Equestria can do to help," Princess Celestia said. "If you and your friends are like Twilight and her friends, then I feel your world will be in good hooves."

Twilight nodded. "And I'll be happy to help anytime I can. But I can't say that I'll get there in time if you do ask me, Sunset."

Sunset nodded. She had been expecting this honestly. That didn't mean she had to like it though, for she had a feeling that Camp Everfree wasn't the last time they would have to deal with rogue magic. The universe was never that nice.

Sci Twi though finally seemed to notice something. Or the lack thereof in the case as she looked around. "Where's Spike and Starlight? Shouldn't they be here?"

Twilight nodded. "Spike and Starlight are helping some new friends settle in. Starlight and her friends have a big day tomorrow."

Sunset raised an eyebrow. "What did we miss? You said something big happened while we were gone. But you never said what."

Twilight just grinned mischievously. "That's for me to know, and you two to find out tomorrow. You're both more than welcome to attend. Starlight has been asking about you. She'll be thrilled to finally meet you."

Sunset flicked an ear. She still wasn't sure what to make of Princess Twilight's student. She sounded like a nice mare, and the two of them did seem to share a few things in common.

But a petulant part of her was still annoyed to no end. She was Twilight's student, not Starlight. Oh sure, it had never been official or anything. But Sunset had thought the understanding between her and the princess had been there. Apparently not.

And there was one more thing. Something that Sunset had thought about the princess for a long time now, ever since the Fall Formal if she was being honest. She was happy that both Twilights had found love in another, she really was. But still, as she watched the two of them talk excitedly about something she hadn't caught, she wished that...

"You wish that it was you over there?" Princess Celestia asked, draping a wing over Sunset's back.

Sunset jumped slightly, as she gave her old mentor a look, one that Celestia returned with that trademarked enigmatic smile of hers. But Sunset could read it, for she had picked it up within a year of becoming the princess' student.

She also knew that Celestia would see right through her lies, so she only nodded. "Twilight was the first one to offer me friendship, and no strings attached. Even after I almost killed her and the girls at the Fall Formal. After the Battle of the Bands, we talked so much. It felt like she was right there, even if she wasn't." She sighed sadly. "I look at them and see..."

"You see yourself in Sci Twi's place. You see what you always wanted with Princess Twilight, but could never bring yourself to ask her for," Celestia replied with a whisper so that only the two of them heard.

Sunset nodded. "I know it's not going to happen now. I won't risk our friendship for something that's not mine to take."

Celestia's smile grew. "Tell her. Let her know how you feel about her. They will be as young as they are at this moment as you are on your deathbed Sunset. Don't do that to either of them. Don't hold it in until then."

Sunset shot her mentor a horrified look. "I can't do that! What if it destroys our friendship? I don't want to lose either of them."

Celestia shook her head. "You will lose them if you don't tell them Sunset. Yes, it will be awkward for some time. But if the friendship the three of you share is as strong as I believe it to be, then it will be fine."

Sunset groaned, but a part of her knew Princess Celestia was right, as much as she hated to admit it. "And what if I don't?"

Celestia's eyes twinkled. "Don't make me make it a Royal Order young filly," she said in a fake serious tone.

Sunset chuckled, even as she felt her hooves move as if they had a mind of their own. "Wouldn't be the first time I didn't listen to you," she groused, but it was more for old times sake than anything. Her legs were already dragging her over to the two ponies in question, and if there was one thing that could be said about her, it was that Sunset never quit once she started on something.

Sci Twi saw her coming and smiled, forcing Twilight to turn and look to see what was going. "Is something wrong Sun-Mmmph!?"

Twilight couldn't finish her sentence, as Sunset leaned forward and locked their lips together. Her wings flared in shock, her hooved flailing wildly in every direction, as Sci Twi looked on in shocked horror.

Twilight finally found the strength and pulled herself and Sunset apart, a look of utter disbelief on her face. "What the hay, Sunset!?"

Sunset, for her part, looked defiant. "You were the first friend I ever had Twilight. You gave me a chance when I didn't deserve it. You stood by me even when no one else did."

Twilight got her breathing under control, as her gaze softened. "Are you saying?"

Sunset nodded. "I love you Twilight. Maybe it was just a schoolyard crush after the Fall Formal, but when we stood together and faced down the Dazzlings, I knew what I felt was real."

Twilight saw that Sunset meant all she had said as well. Her eyes couldn't hide it. Her expression dropped. "Why didn't you say something Sunset?"

The unicorn shook her head. "Because I was afraid that it would destroy our friendship." She looked at Sci Twi, who was still in shock. "When I see you two together, happy. I see everything that I might have had. I see everything that might have been if I hadn't been a coward."

Sci Twi was able to get her mind back on track, as a memory came to her, and her eyes widened. "At the Friendship Games, when you?"

Sunset nodded, her ears drooping. "I'd already figured out that you weren't the princess here. But I didn't care. All I saw was my friend, the mare who I looked up to, making the same mistakes I did, and I snapped. I never really apologized for that."

Sci Twi shook her head, as her head sunk. "Don't. I deserved it. I was being so stupid then."

Sunset smiled as she walked over and pulled the alicorn into a hug. "I'm still so sorry that I yelled at you like that. Maybe if I hadn't, none of this would've happened."

Sci Twi chuckled slightly as she returned the hug. "But then, we wouldn't be here right now if all that hadn't happened."

That got a chuckle out of everypony as Princess Celestia joined. "I am glad that everything seems to have worked out for the best," she said, before yawning. "But I do not know about you, but it is late, and we have a big day tomorrow. Perhaps it is best we turn in for the night?"

It was at that moment that everyone realized how tired they all were, so nopony saw any reason to object. Sci Twi wrapped a wing around Twilight, who leaned into the embrace, and together, the two of them made their way to the top floor of the castle.

Princess Celestia and Sunset watched them go, giggling as the two love birds unconsciously intertwined their tails.

"Ah. Young love," Celestia said in a somewhat dreamy tone.

Sunset only rolled her eyes. "Everypony is young to you princess."

"Don't ruin the moment Sunset."

Author's Note:

So now comes the crux of why Sunset and Twi are in Equestria. It's not the only reason, and there are more chapters after the next. But this is the main reason. I have to admit based on what happened with Celestia and Sunset here.

I hate long-winded and unnecessarily angst-ridden reunion stories with these two. Which is why I like Forgotten Friendship as I do. Hasbro did it right by cutting out all the crap this fandom is adds to their reunion.