• Published 31st Jul 2022
  • 118 Views, 3 Comments

Salvation - voroshilov



Millennia after the War in Heaven, at the edge of the Irenton Dominion, deep within the Great Void, an ancient evil stirs. Fortunately, Sunless-Halo-of-Penumbra happens to have experience dealing with ancient evils.

  • ...
1
 3
 118

Legion's Hold

Like Ferrus, Terminus was a fortress planet. Though, that was where the similarities between the two ended.

Whilst Ferrus’ forts were small, scattered outposts designed to delay an enemy, Terminus’ forts were immense, practically cities. Terminus, as its name suggested, had one duty: stop an enemy and be their end.

Ablazed Glory looked in the mirror of her provided quarters. Her flaming eyes were sunken, with embered rings surrounding them. Her burning mane was unkempt, some flat, some sticking out in all directions. Had she a coat that wasn’t made of fire she knew she would’ve looked even more of a mess. And this was all after she’d slept for ten hours in the fireproof cot she’d been provided with.

My teeth are still sharp, she thought - recalling the old phrase from her years in the Throne World; it meant: ‘no matter my looks, I can still fight’.

Her quarters were buried deep beneath the Dominion headquarters - centred in the vast fortress of Legion’s Hold. The fortress was larger than Hammerfell, both in surface area and in how deep it went. Dominion troops had entered ahead of her arrival and she hadn’t seen one of them.

She turned to the cot behind her and wondered who other than her would actually sleep on it. It certainly wasn’t shaped for the average Warrior, that was for sure, and its intense fire-proofing didn’t make much sense considering no Dominion troops could be both healthy and on fire.

Her mind wandered and visualised Penumbra when she had last seen her - ragged and looking essentially as she did in that moment. She hoped Penumbra had slept well - better than her by any regard. Penumbra was the crux, she thought, so long as Penumbra’s okay - so are the rest of us.

Astrid, she thought, Astrid and Penumbra. Funny that.

My teeth are still sharp.

The Throne World had been the epitome of kill-or-be-killed, it was perfect for the current situation. Memories of it shone in her mind - a different time, a simpler time. It had hardened her, strengthened her, and yet she had never been unsafe. Emperor Nicholas was a strange man, she noted, so full of contradictions.

Though nothing the Emperor could do would make his presence any less wanted during times like these.

Father, why did you leave us?

Remember him, Ablazed Glory.

Shining? She thought. Where the hell had you been?

I have tried speaking to you for some time now. But great powers have covered my voice.

Great powers? What sort of great powers?

Astrid, mostly. Her magic is blinding to the soul.

Well, welcome back. But how come you’re only here now, is Astrid not nearby?

I have learned to be louder, though she is strangely quiet.

I don’t like nouns qualified as strange, you know that. Gods in their tombs, what has happened now?

I do not know, but she was speaking to Penumbra in her quarters before this. Perhaps they’re simply testing out new magic.

Ablazed Glory spat into the sink. Blood slowly washed down the drain. She’d bit her tongue with enough force to puncture it and stick a fang straight through to the other side.

All the powers in reality curse their names! She used Nicholas’ old saying:; which he had used to curse those who fought willingly for the Great Light.

Calm down, Glory, you’re being a bit too harsh.

Any wisdom for me, Shining? Or are you as lost as I am?

You must remember the Emperor, Ablazed Glory, remember him as the one I could not be. Let him be the strong steel to my broken rust.

I will do, after we defeat the Worms. I need that memory for slightly more important things at the moment.

No, Ablazed Glory, you do not. Nothing is more important than those memories. Not to you, or Penumbra. He is the key.

What do you mean the key? The key to what? Shining? Shining, are you there?

“Ablazed Glory,” went the speaker inset into the wall above the door, “report to central command tower immediately.”

“Damn it,” she mumbled, voice crackling just like the intercom, “just can’t catch a break, can I.”

The central command tower was probably the single largest room Ablazed Glory had ever seen, perhaps dwarfed only by those aboard the Archon’s Forge. Yet, the vast majority of its tactical consoles were unmanned, most of its viewscreens were deactivated, and it was mostly empty of all personnel save her friend, three Dominion officers, and a single Warrior.

“We’re all here, good,” said Fleet-Admiral Skryer, identified by the runic tag on his chest. “We don’t have much time, so I’ll make this quick. The forces you faced on Ferrus were just the vanguard; our scanners have detected an incoming force at least three times the size of the previous, they’ll be here within the hour.”

Another one of the officers - a lesser Admiral by the tag - followed up, “Terminus has a large number of planetary defence guns, which should lessen the effects of a siege. And, our fleet in orbit should be able to do similar. But, it is certain large contingents of enemy forces will be able to land.”

“Supreme Devastation will be with them,” Penumbra said, “no doubt he’ll be commanding them from the ground. Being in orbit would be too dangerous. If we can kill him, we can potentially break the main force.”

“We have to hunt him down then,” Ablazed Glory said, Astrid and two of the officers nodding in response, “rout as many as we can then we can face the Worms. That’s what Nicholas would do.”

Penumbra went slightly pale beneath her coat. A good portion of her still had an aversion to his name - to any vocal remembrance of his existence. Yet, she knew of his prowess. He could win them this battle - if only he were alive.

Ablazed Glory had raised a good point. Following the idea of ‘what would Nicholas do’ would probably get them far. But, Nicholas was dead - so he was not invincible.

“We can hunt Supreme Devastation,” Penumbra said, at last, “just give us a path to him.”

Skyrer nodded. “That can be done.”

Penumbra and her group turned, wordlessly, to leave. They would find Supreme Devastation, kill him, then target the Worms.

“Wait,” Skryer called, “what’s your callsign?”

Penumbra looked over her shoulder. “Squad Retaliator,” she said, earning a chuckle of approval from Ablazed Glory.

“Ura,” The flaming alicorn punctuated her comrade, with a raised fist.