• Published 31st Jul 2022
  • 118 Views, 3 Comments

Salvation - voroshilov



Millennia after the War in Heaven, at the edge of the Irenton Dominion, deep within the Great Void, an ancient evil stirs. Fortunately, Sunless-Halo-of-Penumbra happens to have experience dealing with ancient evils.

  • ...
1
 3
 118

The Future

The Great Void, an expanse on the edge of galactic space, a vast cloud of silence, what made it so terrifying was that not even the might of the Irenton Empire had conquered it. It had remained, free of any and all outside interference, for all of history. There were few who ever entered the Great Void and fewer still who ever returned. Those few who did brought tales of interstellar anomalies - horrors that lurked in the darkness.

For so long as the esoteric has been known of, there has been a worship of it. The moment the concept of evil was born, there has existed those who saw it as a religion - those who saw their purpose was to commit evil, or bring it about. Those dedicated to dark gods found some semblance of truth behind their fantasies inside the Great Void, delving into its depths to further their agendas.

Those who worshipped the dark horrors of the Great Void, soon found themselves banished there. As the Shadow of Sundered Star, and the dark light of Emperor Nicholas, approached them, thousands fled into the darkness, never to be seen again. Within, many of their number fell victim to the countless cosmic anomalies which infested it. Though, a small few were able to survive, gradually coalescing and organising into a single cult.

Over the millennia, they bided their time, gathered their strength, and prepared to strike. Though, even with the powers of their dark masters, they were no match for the Emperor, Nicholas, whose being alone was enough to imprison them within the Great Void. When the War in Heaven came, the omniverse wreathed in flame and the heavens themselves buckling and crying out in pain, the cult still waited, hibernating, biding their time.

The death of the Rift, with its subsequent cutting of most communications, forced the cult to again wait. Although, its leaders had never declared their mission would be a short one. Even after the Rift’s rebirth, they waited, building their strength, drawing up their final battle plans.

They took bodies for their sacrifices, creating legions of puppets and armouring themselves with the favours of their masters. Starting with a barren world, looking into the darkness of the void, the systems bordering the Great Void would fall silent, their peoples massacred and given as tribute to dark overlords. Dozens of worlds would be scoured, beginning with the one where the cult had first originated. Until, fighting through a ruined city, Sunless-Halo-of-Penumbra would do battle with the cult’s leader, a powerful sorcerer who had waited millennia for his chance.