• Published 1st May 2020
  • 662 Views, 13 Comments

My Little Pony: Shadows of the Setting Sun - Starswirl the Beardless



Follow along as Sunset Shimmer embarks on an airship adventure across Equestria. Witness the downfall of Celestia’s protege, and learn what drove her to abandon her only friend.

  • ...
1
 13
 662

Chapter Five - By the Beautiful Sea

The first thing Sunset saw when she opened her eyes was the face of Nova Obscura in front of her. “Sunset, it’s alright,” Nova said, “it was just a dream!” Her wide eyes stared straight into Sunset’s and her mouth hung open slightly. Sunset stared back at her, her panicked mind not immediately understanding the words. The only sounds Sunset was aware of were the pounding of her heartbeat, the heavy breaths pumping in and out of her, and the distant, rhythmic flapping of the Opportunity’s flippers.

A moment of confusion passed before Sunset’s conscious mind began to resurface. As she looked into the familiar face before her, memories came rushing back to her, and she began to remember her situation. She was lying in her bed within her quarters aboard the Opportunity, which at that moment was cruising through the skies of southwestern Equestria. “Nova, I...” Sunset began, gazing into Nova’s worried eyes. “A dream?”

“Yes, Sunset,” said Nova, speaking slowly and calmly. “You were having a bad dream, but it’s over now. You’re alright.” Sunset understood the words, yet she was still confused. Her mind churned, trying to remember what she had seen. She remembered darkness, and she remembered being alone and afraid. Actually, she hadn’t been alone, she remembered. There had been something there with her. And then...

Sunset started and gave a yelp as the memories returned to her. Nova reached out and grabbed Sunset’s shoulders to steady her. “Sunset!” she said.

Sunset’s momentary lapse faded quickly, the lingering fear being replaced with frustration. “I’m okay,” she said, brushing Nova off. Once again, she realized, she had been woken by the same dream that had been plaguing her for almost two weeks. Not only was it still troubling her, but she was still as powerless before it as she had been on the very first night. And this time, she had had her moment of weakness in front of Nova, and had had to rely on her for comfort.

“Was it the same one?” asked Nova.

“Yeah,” replied Sunset, shifting into a more proper sitting position. “How could you tell?”

“You were...saying things,” Nova said hesitantly.

Sunset’s embarrassment grew as she imagined what sort of things might have escaped her lips as she had slept. “Did I wake you?” she said.

“No,” said Nova, “I was already awake. I’m not used to this bed yet.” Nova tried to give Sunset a comforting smile, but her concern snuck its way back onto her face. “Do you...want to talk about it?”

“There’s nothing to talk about,” said Sunset. “It was the same as the last time. Only...”

“Only what?” said Nova.

Sunset took a moment to gather the right words. “I think...that thing, the thing I keep seeing in my dream, isn’t what I thought it was,” she said.

“What do you mean?” said Nova.

“I thought it was just feelings, just wild emotions spreading all over,” Sunset began, trying to remember the experience, “but I think it’s more than that. I don’t think it’s really mindless; I think there’s something behind it...or someone.”

“You mean...a pony?” said Nova. “Who?”

“I don’t know,” said Sunset. “I just don’t know.” She threw herself back onto the bed in frustration.

Nova looked down at Sunset, a mixture of worry and pity on her face. “Well, whatever it is, it’s still just a dream,” said Nova. “Right?”

“Right,” said Sunset. “Just a dream.”

“Try to get some sleep Sunset,” said Nova. “I’ll be here if you need me.” Nova took up the candle she had set by the bed and moved back to her side of the room, behind the divider. The light in Sunset’s half dimmed, and Sunset slowly closed her eyes. It took her a while, but she eventually managed to find sleep yet again.


The afternoon sun bathed Sunset in its warming glow as she stood at the bow of the Opportunity. A gentle breeze wafted towards the ship from the East, carrying the faint smell of salt to Sunset’s nose. Normally, she would have wanted to spend a day such as this relaxing outdoors and enjoying as much time as she could away from her books and her tutors. On this occasion, however, Sunset was far from relaxed; she was pumped-up, focused, and ready to face whatever the day had to throw at her.

That morning, she had been woken from her bed by a rhythmic buzzing noise coming from her desk. She had tried to ignore the interruption and cling to sleep, but Nova had ensured that that had not happened. She had also heard the noise and had made sure that Sunset rose and addressed the cause of the obtrusive sound. When Sunset had been sufficiently roused, and her drowsy brain had finally connected the noise to her journal, she had changed her tune quickly, immediately perking up and leaping out of bed to examine the book. As she had watched, the following words had appeared on its pages:

My Dearest Sunset,

I am pleased to hear the results of your first assignment as royal ambassador. I knew I made the right decision in sending you to resolve the issue. Based on your performance, I feel comfortable sending you on a new mission, one which may be more difficult than the last, I fear. Reports have reached Canterlot of a strange creature seen in the vicinity of Pintada Bay, a small town south of Manehattan. This “sea monster”, as it is described, has been causing quite an uproar in the local area. If this creature is a dangerous one, then it could threaten the safety of the ponies living nearby, as well as disrupt trade throughout eastern Equestria. I want you to travel to Pintada Bay and evaluate the threat, so that a proper solution can be devised. Be cautious, however. If the creature is a threat, then I do not want you putting yourself in harm’s way. Keep your escort close, and do not take any unnecessary risks. Be smart and be safe.

Your Loving Mentor,

Celestia

P.S. I have sent word to the town that you will be arriving soon. They will be expecting you.

The message had filled Sunset with mixed emotions as she read it. Receiving praise for her handling of the situation in Paradise Fields had made her feel guilty, as she still had lingering doubts over the choices she had made there. Those feelings, however, had been overshadowed by the feelings of excitement and curiosity that she had felt upon hearing of the mysterious “sea monster”. Sunset had always had a fascination with magical creatures, and had relished the few opportunities she had had to see them up close. Nova did not share her feelings, typically regarding such creatures as frightening, with the notable exception of the princess’s pet phoenix.

The prospect of getting to study a strange, potentially unknown creature firsthand had made her inner scientist giddy. Sunset had been ready to run upstairs that instant to see if the crew had received the message, but Nova had stopped her, once again forcing her to make herself presentable before heading out for the day. When Nova’s grooming standards had been satisfied, Sunset had headed up to the bridge to speak with the captain. The crew had indeed received their orders shortly before she had arrived, and had projected that they would reach their destination by that afternoon.

Olive Ridley had been more than happy to indulge Sunset in her inquiries about Pintada Bay. He had pointed it out on the ship’s map, about halfway between Manehattan and Fillydelphia on Equestria’s eastern coast. Or rather, he had pointed out where it should have been on the map. As with Paradise Fields, the town of Pintada Bay was, apparently, not important enough to have its own marker. The eponymous body of water was the only visual indicator of its location, itself looking relatively insignificant compared to the larger Horseshoe Bay to the south.

The old captain’s recollections had proven to be much more informative than the map. Being the well-traveled pony that he was, he had heard of the town, although he had never been there himself. It had been founded relatively recently, he had said, and it was best known for being the source of many of Equestria’s finest pearls. The captain was not the most knowledgable pony when it came to fashion, so he had not had much to say on that front. He had, however, remarked that he had never heard of any serious reports of strange sea creatures in that area.

He had made a point of specifying “serious” reports, as he had heard more than his fair share of fish stories through the grapevine, courtesy of the royal guard’s naval divisions. It was, apparently, not uncommon for some weary guardspony to see something out in the dark waters of the Celestial Sea late at night that they took for a creature of some sort. Such incidents rarely made appearances in official records, due to the lack of evidence and incredulous nature of such claims. Of course, that never stopped the ponies in question from spreading rumors and telling stories of their brushes with the terrifying creatures of the deep.

The captain’s words buzzed around in Sunset’s head as she stood at the front of the ship, staring into the distance to try and catch a glimpse of their destination on the horizon. While she was still excited at the thought of what she might find at Pintada Bay, she was also a bit apprehensive. If there was some sort of dangerous creature on the loose, what could she realistically do about it? Granted, a sea monster was a much more straightforward problem to deal with than the one she had just faced, but that didn’t mean it would be any easier. Perhaps that was why the princess had merely asked Sunset to investigate the problem, not to solve it. If it proved to be too much for her to handle, could she swallow her pride and call on the princess for help?

Sunset was so lost in thought that she didn’t notice Nova Obscura approaching until she was almost beside her. She turned her head at the sound of Nova’s hoofsteps and greeted her with a smile, her worries temporarily subsiding. “Hey, Nova,” she said.

“Hello, Sunset,” said Nova warmly. “The captain says we should be able to see Pintada Bay coming up in just a few minutes.”

“Finally,” Sunset said excitedly. “Feels like we’ve been flying forever.” It had, in fact, only been several hours since they had received their assignment, but Nova let the hyperbole slide.

The two stared intently towards the east as the hills and woods passed by underneath them. The anxious mares were eventually rewarded for their patience with the sight of a thin sliver of silvery-blue in the distance. Sunset’s face lit up as the sliver slowly grew wider, until it had become a thick blue bar stretching north and south as far as the eye could see. Soon after, they spotted their destination: a quiet bay opening inward from the coastline and the town built up around it.

The bay was of middling size, large enough to maneuver small boats in, but small enough that a fit pony could have swum its width. The bay had a relatively small opening to the ocean, growing wider as it came inland, giving it a horseshoe-like shape. The town consisted of several dozen buildings built closely to the shore of the bay, stretching around about half of the bay’s circumfrence. Due to the hilly terrain, the buildings rose and fell with the land, with small roads snaking their way throughout. On the outskirts of town, larger roads led off into the distance toward the larger cities north and south.

Sunset had a wide grin on her face as she gazed upon the rolling blue waves of the sea for the first time. Growing up surrounded by stone streets and walls had often made her wish that she could one day see what she was seeing then. When Sunset had been younger, she sometimes heard the other young fillies of the Canterlot elite talk about vacations they had taken with their families to the beaches near Los Pegasus or Manehattan. Such things had made her fantasize that Celestia might one day take her to spend a day at the beach together. Alas, whenever the princess had had business in such places, she had always said that she would have been too busy to take Sunset along for the trip.

Nova was similarly excited, having grown up in the same environment that Sunset had. While she too had heard stories of the sea from the fillies her age, she had not shared Sunset’s hope of ever seeing it herself. With her parents’ jobs at the castle taking up so much of their time, the idea of taking a trip to the coast had always been a pipe dream for her. The fact that Nova was finally getting to live that dream, and with her closest companion no less, was not something she took for granted. She and Sunset exchanged gleeful looks as they approached Pintada Bay.

The ship stopped at the outer edge of town, the crew electing to land the ship on a relatively flat hill nearby. As the ship once again began its landing procedure, Sunset looked down at the town beneath them, drinking in the sights. She saw that the princess had not been exaggerating when she had written that the area had been in an uproar over the creature’s appearance. The roads were packed with ponies milling about, much more than Sunset would have expected for a settlement of the size she was looking at. The activity seemed lively and loud, but not fearful, nothing to suggest that there was a dangerous creature on the loose.

As the ship lowered, and Sunset could get a better look at the ponies below, she noticed a small crowd assembling near the spot where the ship would land. The group appeared to include a diverse assortment of ponies from various walks of life. Some were dressed simply, as if they had simply been going about their usual schedules when they had noticed the royal guard airship descending from the sky. Others looked more abnormally dressed, wearing colorful shirts, large hats, and some carrying what looked like cameras. But the ones that stood out the most were the handful of well-dressed ponies standing near the front of the crowd.

The ship eventually came to a rest in its typical fashion, and Sunset and Nova were joined on the deck by Olive Ridley and Steel Rain. “Seems we have quite the audience,” the captain remarked. “Granted, most ponies don’t get to see airships up close that often.”

“I guess not,” said Sunset, who had led Nova back to the middle of the ship near the gangplank where they all stood together. “I figured we’d have somepony to greet us, but I didn’t think they’d roll out the welcome wagon quite this much.”

“They must not get visits from royal ambassadors that often,” Nova chimed in.

Sunset was not a shy pony, but even she was a bit anxious at being the subject of such attention from so many ponies. She had known that this sort of thing came with the job, and that she would have to get used to it, but that didn’t make it any easier to deal with. “Well,” said Sunset, gulping, “I guess we better go say hello.”

“Perhaps you’d like us to accompany you, Madam Ambass’dor,” said the captain, presumably noticing Sunset’s apprehension.

“Uh, sure,” said Sunset. “It couldn’t hurt.” She was secretly grateful for the captain’s offer.

“I thought you’d say that,” said the captain, giving the golden helmet on his head, which Sunset had yet to see him wear, a tap. He motioned to Steel Rain, who was wearing her helmet as well, and she proceeded to lower the gangplank to the ground, the crowd moving back to make way. “Just follow my lead,” he said to Sunset, giving her a wink. He turned towards the crowd, straightening up and standing tall and proud with a serious expression on his face. He slowly marched down the plank, stopping once he reached the ground. “Announcing Her Excellency Sunset Shimmer, Royal Ambassador of Her Highness Princess Celestia,” he said in an abnormally loud and clear voice. He took his place at the side of the plank, opposite Steel Rain, both guards standing at attention.

An exuberant cheer came from the assembled ponies, accompanied by the raucous noise of a whole herd’s worth of hooves stamping the ground in applause. Their reaction certainly made Sunset feel confident, even if it was prompted by the title that she was not particularly fond of. “I think that’s our cue,” whispered Nova in her ear. Sunset steeled herself and tried to present a composed image, as the captain had. When she was ready, Sunset began the long walk down the plank to greet the crowd, with Nova following close behind her. She managed to make it to the ground without incident and stood proudly, albeit nervously, before the ponies, Nova taking her place at Sunset’s right side, slightly farther back.

As the cheering died down, one of the ponies in the crowd stepped forward. The Earth pony mare had been standing in front of the rest, alongside the well-dressed ponies. She looked to be about the same age as Steel Rain: much older than Sunset, but not nearly middle-aged yet. Also like Steel Rain, she had lines on her face that suggested stress, but of the kind one would encounter in an office rather than in the guard. Her well-groomed coat shone silvery-white; her milky-pink hair was pulled back into a neat, round bun. A stately grey ascot was wrapped around her neck, giving her an air of minimalist refinement.

She stood before Sunset, a friendly smile on her face. “Madam Ambassador,” she said, loudly and cheerfully enough to be heard by all those assembled, “it is my great honor to welcome you to Pintada Bay. I am Akoya, the mayor of this fine town. I think I speak for all of the townsponies when I say that we will do whatever we can to ensure that your visit here is a pleasant and enjoyable one.” As she finished, Mayor Akoya dropped into a deep bow before Sunset. The other finely-dressed ponies behind her followed suit, and after a moment of confused delay, so too did the rest of the crowd.

The sight of the audience cheering her arrival had made Sunset feel emotional, but this was something else entirely. She had been managing to maintain her composure, but the sight of dozens of grown adults prostrating themselves before the young mare made her falter. The only times she had ever had such a thing happen to her was when she had been standing at the side of Princess Celestia herself. To have so many ponies direct such reverence and respect to her specifically was almost overwhelming for Sunset. She wasn’t sure whether the quickening of her heartbeat upon seeing the nature of her position illustrated in such a manner was due to embarrassment or to a strange enjoyment of the power she held.

A gentle nudge in her side snapped Sunset out of her daze. She reflexively looked over at Nova, who was subtly signaling to her to respond. The embarrassed ambassador realized she had been standing there silently in front of the crowd for a length of time that was bordering on awkward. “Oh, uh, thank you, Mayor,” said Sunset, trying to quickly pull herself together. “I’m sure I’ll enjoy my stay here very much.”

Mayor Akoya rose, the rest of the crowd slowly following her example. The mayor looked as bright and cheery as she had earlier, apparently either not noticing or not caring about the awkward moment. “You’ll have to forgive us, Madam Ambassador,” she said. “We only received word of your arrival earlier today. But, rest assured, we’ve pulled out all the stops to make sure you feel right at home here with us. The Chamber of Commerce and I even made sure to rush over here to welcome you personally when we saw you approaching.” She indicated the well-dressed ponies she had been standing with, who all nodded vigorously in agreement with her.

“I appreciate your hospitality,” said Sunset, falling back on the polite behavior she was used to using when speaking with dignitaries, “but really, I’m mainly here on business. I’m here to do what I can to help you and your town.”

“Oh, you’re too kind,” said the mayor. “But you must allow us to treat you to the best of what Pintada Bay has to offer while you’re here. I insist!” Before Sunset could respond, the mayor turned and addressed the crowd. “Fillies and gentlecolts! Please, return to your business. The ambassador has a busy schedule, but I’m sure she’d love to see you all around town later on.” The mayor’s plea seemed effective, as the crowd dispersed, slowly but surely. She then had a quick, hushed conversation with the ponies from the Chamber of Commerce, who quickly headed off when they were finished.

Mayor Akoya turned back to address Sunset. “I’ve sent the Chamber members off to finish the preparations for your stay,” she said cheerfully. “Please, allow me to show you around town in the meantime. I know it’s a bit late for lunch, but there’s a charming little restaurant nearby I’m sure you’d adore. Perhaps you’d like to stop by there for some refreshments?”

Sunset was, admittedly, a bit hungry; she had been too excited about their arrival to eat anything after breakfast. “Well, I am a little hungry,” said Sunset. “How about you, Nova?”

“That sounds like a lovely idea to me,” replied Nova politely.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” said Sunset, realizing that she had yet to introduce her companion. “Mayor, this is Nova Obscura.”

“Secretary to the Royal Ambassador,” added Nova, ever the formal one. “It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mayor Akoya.”

“The pleasure is entirely mine, Madam Secretary,” said the mayor, giving Nova a slight bow.

Sunset then remembered another pony present who she might do well to introduce. “Captain,” she said, turning to Olive Ridley behind her, “why don’t you come and say hello?”

Olive Ridley, who had been standing with a soldier’s discipline, broke out of his stiff pose and walked over to stand beside Sunset. “Olive Ridley, captain of the Opportunity, at your service,” he said formally, but with his usual friendly intonation. He gave the mayor a slight bow as well.

The mayor looked exuberant at meeting yet another pony of status in such a short period. “Why, captain, it is indeed a pleasure to meet you,” she said, turning back to address Sunset afterward. “Madam Ambassador, if I may be so bold, you are welcome to bring your associates along with us. I’m sure it would be no trouble at all to make arrangements for them as well!”

Sunset had been debating whether she would want an escort on her mission. She knew that the captain would have wanted her to take someone along with her, as he had before. While she still felt she didn’t need a foalsitter to look after her, even she had to admit that having a guard around might not be such a bad idea, given their purpose for being there. Besides, having another pony beside her might help absorb some of the attention she was getting, Sunset thought.

“Alright, um...” began Sunset, looking over at Olive Ridley to see if he had something to say on the matter. He didn’t voice any opinion one way or the other, but he gave her a sideways glance, as if to say that the decision was up to her. “Captain, would you like to join us?”

“It would be an honor, Madam Ambass’dor,” he said, giving her a slight smile.

“Okay, then,” said Sunset, looking back at the mayor. “I guess we’re ready to go.”

“Splendid!” said the mayor. “If you’ll just follow me now, we’ll be on our way.”

Mayor Akoya started off toward town, with her guests following close behind her. As they were leaving, Sunset saw the captain give a quick signal to Steel Rain behind them, presumably telling her to keep an eye on things while he was gone. They passed by several stragglers from the earlier crowd who had backed off, but not left completely. Sunset noticed them staring at the group as they walked, some waving, some whispering to each other, one even taking a picture with a camera slung around his neck; she tried to ignore them as they went.

As they reached the town proper, Sunset got to get a good look at the scenery. The buildings were mostly residences, simply constructed wooden homes, most of which looked relatively new. Despite this, many of the homes seemed unoccupied and in need of maintenance. As they moved closer to the water, she began to see some businesses of the sort one would expect of a decently-sized town: a grocer, a general store, and other such places. She also saw lots of carts and stalls selling street food and other, more peculiar items. Novelty hats, tacky, colorful shirts, and even small snow globes were all within Sunset’s sight, each bearing text such as “Pintada Bay” or “I Survived the Beast”.

Most of the ponies moving about seemed to be of the same sort as the garishly-dressed ponies she had seen when she had arrived. They were quite the diverse mix; Sunset saw mares, stallions, old ponies, little foals carried by their parents, unicorns, pegasi, and Earth ponies. From what she could hear of their accents, they seemed to be from all over Equestria; she heard ponies that sounded like they came from Vanhoover, Manhattan, and everywhere in between. They wore brightly-colored clothes, sometimes the same clothes she had seen at the stalls, sun hats, sunglasses, and had smears of sunscreen on their faces in some cases. If Sunset didn’t know any better, she would have said they looked like tourists. But what sort of pony would take a vacation in a town with a sea monster problem?

Sunset noticed all of this as they walked, while also trying to pay attention to what Mayor Akoya was saying. The mayor was giving what felt like a rehearsed speech as they went along. She discussed some of what Sunset had already heard from the captain, such as the town having been founded a few decades earlier by a motley group of oyster pearl divers. Due to the widespread fashion trend for pearls at the time, the town had quickly grown large and prosperous. She touted the town’s historical importance in the industry and spoke of other, more technical details of the trade, which Sunset tried her best to pay attention to.

“As you can imagine, pearls have been our town’s bread and butter for quite a long time,” said the mayor. “Recently, however, we’ve happened upon something brand new, something which, in this mare’s opinion, will help put Pintada Bay on the map.”

Sunset perked up upon hearing this. “This wouldn’t have anything to do with the creature, would it?” she asked.

Mayor Akoya stopped walking where she was and turned to face Sunset. “I do apologize for the theatrics, Madam Ambassador,” she said. “I know why it is you’re here. In fact, it’s the same reason why all these lovely ponies are here: to see the creature.”

“But...I don’t understand,” said Sunset. “Are you saying these ponies are tourists, and that they’re all here to see the creature that’s been terrorizing your town?”

“Terrorizing the town?” said the mayor, suddenly bursting into laughter, which she tried her best to hold back. “I’m dreadfully sorry. Please forgive my outburst. I fear you’ve gotten the wrong idea about us, although I suppose that can be attributed to the effectiveness of our marketing campaign. While there is indeed a creature here in Pintada Bay, I can assure you that the situation is completely under control and that nopony is in any danger.”

“But how can you say that?” said Sunset, now very confused. “What’s going on here, mayor? What do you know about the creature?”

“Madam Ambassador, I am grateful for your concern,” said the mayor calmly, “but it really is alright. I promise, everything will be made clear to you soon enough. But business can wait until after lunch. After all, an important pony such as yourself needs to keep up her strength, am I right?”

The mayor’s assurances had not completely satisfied her, but Sunset realized that pressing the issue was probably not worth it. She had to admit that the town didn’t seem to be in any immediate danger, and probably wouldn’t be nearly as lively as it was if there were some sort of dangerous, wild creature running about. Still, the mayor’s avoidance of the topic only made her more curious as to what exactly the situation was. Sunset was willing to wait for a while, but resolved to bring the issue back up if she didn’t get any answers soon.

Sunset acquiesced to the mayor’s plea for patience, prompting her to continue with her tour. As they resumed walking, Sunset exchanged a quick look with Nova. She looked similarly concerned and confused about the situation, but seemed willing to follow Sunset’s lead. The mayor’s talk turned to the recent upsurge in tourism that had occurred in the months after the creature was first seen near the town. She confirmed what Sunset had suspected: that ponies had come from far and wide to get a glimpse at the creature. The townsponies had, apparently, adapted quite well to the new business opportunity, and had begun to prosper from the flow of bits into the local economy.

Luckily, Sunset didn’t have to listen to the intricacies of the topic for very long, as they soon arrived at their destination. The Briny Beach, as its front sign labeled it, was a cozy-looking restaurant near the water’s edge, which seemed to be busy despite it being between mealtimes. The building was relatively small, but had made up for its limited space by placing tables along its exterior. Windows along the walls gave the patrons natural light and a view of the sea, while giving Sunset a view of the lively activity within. The mayor moved to hold the door open for them before Olive Ridley could beat her to it, and they all entered the establishment.

The interior of the restaurant was decorated with paintings of sailing ships, wooden ship’s wheels, and fake fish, giving the place a blatantly nautical atmosphere. The light streaming in from the windows was augmented by candle-lit fixtures hanging from the ceiling, making the main room appear bright, but not too bright. Most of the floor space was taken up by wooden tables and chairs scattered throughout, although there were a few booths along the back walls as well. The air hummed with conversation from the many ponies gathered there for their afternoon meals. Sunset could smell the scent of delicious foods wafting about, reminding her just how hungry she was.

As soon as they had entered, Mayor Akoya rushed over to the front desk and had a hushed conversation with the young waitress behind it. The waitress shot a quick look at Sunset and the others before turning and signaling to another waiter nearby, who rushed off through the doors to the kitchen. The waitress came around the desk with a bright smile on her face and gave the group a bow, before leading them through the restaurant to a booth at the back. Sunset noticed that they were getting quite a few looks from the other patrons as they went, but tried not to let it bother her.

The party was taken to a U-shaped booth with a sign on the table that read “RESERVED”, which the waitress promptly removed. They sat in the booth, Sunset sitting in between Nova and the mayor, with Olive Ridley sitting at the end, next to Nova. The waitress gave them another bow before scurrying off to the kitchen. The mayor told them that their food would be brought out shortly, and again praised the restaurant as being the best in town. Olive Ridley removed his helmet and set it aside in preparation. True to her word, a small team of waiters soon emerged from the kitchen, bringing a variety of different dishes to the table.

Over the course of the next hour or two, Sunset was treated to a full-course meal showcasing the signature dishes of the region. She sampled soft, warm breads filled with cranberries that melted in her mouth. The hearty corn chowder filled her belly and warmed her throat. Bowls of baked beans, buttery corn on the cob, and smooth mashed potatoes followed soon after. Finishing the meal off was a selection of sweet fruit pies, tarts, and cobblers that Sunset had to restrain herself from eating too much of. It was fortunate that she had spent years living in Canterlot Castle and had learned to pace herself during such elaborate meals, or else she might have filled up before they were even halfway through.

The mayor kept a running commentary going throughout the meal, discussing the dishes and other mundane things typical of dinner conversation. Sunset mostly listened, her mouth being full of the delicious foods before her most of the time. Nova however, was finally able to contribute to the conversation, having mastered the art of polite smalltalk long ago. Olive Ridley, curiously, did not say much, despite his usual, talkative nature. He responded courteously when he was addressed, but otherwise ate quietly and politely. Sunset realized that the old guardspony was probably modeling the “seen, but not heard” behavior expected of the guard, especially when they were in the company of their superiors.

When the point had come where Sunset felt she couldn’t eat another bite, one of the waiters returned to the table and whispered something in the mayor’s ear. “Oh! Is it that time already?” she said. “Thank you.” The waiter scurried off as she turned to address the rest of the table. “Well, everypony, I hope your tummies and your tastebuds have been thoroughly satisfied, because it’s almost time for the main event!”

“The main event?” said Sunset, perking up. “You mean...”

“That’s right!” the mayor said. “It’s time for you all to see what you’ve come here for. If you’ll all be so kind as to follow me, we can be there in just a few minutes.”

Sunset was puzzled, her confusion from earlier resurfacing. Where were they going? What did this have to do with the creature? How did the mayor plan on showing it to them so deliberately? Eager to have these questions answered, she quickly followed the mayor as she rose from the table. The party had soon made their way back out of the restaurant, the wait staff giving them farewell bows as they went.

Back outside, Sunset could see by the position of the sun that it was about an hour or so before sunset. Despite the late hour, the roads were still full of ponies, most of which seemed to be walking down the main road toward the ocean. Following the mayor, the group joined the crowd and slowly walked in the same direction. As they followed the edge of the bay away from the town center, Sunset noticed the number of buildings begin to decrease, eventually petering off entirely as they approached their destination.

On the shore of the bay, a good ways away from the nearest buildings, were some newly constructed wooden bleachers, which the tourist ponies were headed towards. When the group reached the bleachers, the mayor led them to a section of the front row, right in the middle. Again, their seats had been reserved for them, courtesy of the attendants that were ushering people into the stands. Looking behind her, Sunset could see that the seats were nearly full, hundreds of ponies having assembled for whatever it was they were about to see. A salespony wandered up and down the bleachers, selling bags of peanuts, candies, and small toys.

“Uh, mayor,” said Sunset, “what exactly are we doing here?”

“You’ll see,” said the mayor knowingly. “Just hold on a few more minutes, then all your questions will be answered.” Sunset’s anticipation was growing quickly, but she figured she could hold out a little while longer.

She leaned over to whisper to Nova, who was sitting beside her. “What do you think this is?” asked Sunset. “Do you think we’re really gonna see the creature?”

“I haven’t the faintest idea,” replied Nova, “but all these ponies definitely seem excited for whatever it is.”

Sunset glanced over at Olive Ridley, who was sitting on the other side of Nova. The captain was sitting upright, his eyes pointed out at the blue waters of the bay, as if he were looking for something. Sunset looked out in that direction herself, wondering if there really was some unknown creature lurking in the depths.

Several long minutes later, the bleachers had finished filling up with ponies. Suddenly, Sunset heard a loud voice emanating from speakers coming from behind her. “Fillies and gentlecolts,” said the voice energetically, “please take your seats. The show will begin momentarily.” A chorus of cheers and stamping came from the audience.

“Here we go!” said the mayor, leaning in close to Sunset.

A hush fell over the crowd as the announcer spoke again. “Since the dawn of time, Equestria has been home to many strange magical creatures,” he said dramatically. “From the fearsome manticore to the ferocious fire-breathing dragon, these creatures have inhabited the nightmares of ponykind for generations. But none of these creatures is as great or terrifying as those that lurk in the depths of the sea. Deep beneath the waves swim mysterious monsters never before seen by pony eyes...until now.”

As the announcer spoke, a young unicorn stallion walked out in front of the crowd, standing just a few yards in front of Sunset, facing the water. He looked to be around Sunset’s age, just a few years off from adulthood. His coat was a brilliant golden-yellow, and his short hair was a metallic silvery color. He had a noticeably grave expression on his face, which Sunset felt seemed out of place at an event where everypony else was so cheerful. The unicorn carried a wooden case, which he set down on the ground next to him when he was in position.

“Legends tell of a such a creature living within the confines of this very bay,” the announcer continued. “Some say it has been haunting these shores since before the founding of Equestria. It is said to have destroyed hundreds of ships and gobbled up countless innocent ponies over the years. This creature has eluded capture by the strongest heroes and the bravest sailors in history. ‘What is it?’ you may ask. Well...let’s find out.”

As the announcer finished, Sunset saw the pony before them open his case and produce from it an old, worn trumpet. He sat down, facing the bay, and held the instrument to his lips. A moment later, a single loud, clear note came from it, emanating out across the water. When the noise finally ended, silence followed. The crowd, Sunset included, sat unmoving, every pair of eyes transfixed on the deep blue waves, every pair of ears hearkening to their movement.

At first, it seemed like nothing had happened. The waters of the bay still rose and fell as they had a minute earlier. The gentle sea breeze still blew from the east, caressing Sunset’s skin. The sun, which would soon be dipping below the horizon, did not suddenly go dark or do any other such dramatic thing. Sunset was almost about to ask what they were waiting for, but then she got her answer. In the distance, she saw a section of the water rising up above the waves around it. The rise was moving closer to the shore and the eager audience waiting there. Something was coming, something big.

Sunset stared unblinking at the thing moving towards them, unconsciously leaning forward, as if doing so would somehow help her see it more clearly. It was far away, yet it moved so quickly that it closed the distance in no time at all. Sunset’s heartbeat quickened as it approached, preparing her to either fight or flee from the strange, unknown threat. When it got close enough, Sunset could make out a large, dark mass just under the surface of the water. At the rate it was moving, Sunset thought it would end up colliding with the shore, but this was not to be so. Just as Sunset was bracing for the impact, the water before them exploded upward, sending huge waves radiating outward in its wake.

Something rose out of the water, shooting up at least two stories above the surface. Its body was long and serpentine, but was as thick as the trunk of an ancient tree. Its skin was covered in dull gray scales, but as the light of the evening sun fell upon them, they shimmered and shone with all the colors of the rainbow. A large, sail-like fin jutted out of its back, making it look even more massive than it already did. Its body terminated with a large, bird-like head covered in the same scales that adorned the rest of its body. A wedge-shaped beak protruded from its face, flat and rounded like that of a duck. Its huge eyes were pitch-black throughout, like the glass eyes of a doll.

The creature opened its mouth, revealing its blood-red maw and unleashing a tremendous bellow that echoed throughout the entire bay. Its cry was deep and powerful, but also somewhat melodious, like a giant horn, like a giant trumpet, Sunset would realize later. The sound rattled Sunset’s bones and gave her goosebumps. Out of the corner of her eye, Sunset saw Nova recoil in fear, and saw Olive Ridley tense, as if preparing to bolt. Sunset, however, took things one step further. Without thinking, she leapt from her seat, standing with her hooves planted firmly on the ground. Her horn lit up brightly, Sunset instinctively reaching out for her magic.

She stared down the creature, and was a moment away from launching an all-out magical assault, when her focus was interrupted by another noise. From behind her came a thunderous chorus of cheering and applause from the audience. When she realized what she was hearing, Sunset whipped her head around to confirm that her ears were not playing tricks on her. She saw the audience members hooping and hollering, their mouths stretched into wide smiles, stamping the floor in applause, and waving flags or other small objects in the air.

Confused at what she was seeing, Sunset looked at Nova for help. Nova looked similarly confused, her expression offering no explanation for the situation. Having nothing else to offer Sunset, she merely patted the seat next to her, imploring her to sit back down. The gesture made Sunset realize that she had been about to make a very awkward mistake, if the situation was indeed as benign as everypony else seemed to think it was. She looked back at the creature, which had not moved from its spot. With a slight hint of embarrassment joining the confusion and the fading aggression in her mind, she slowly lowered herself back into her seat. Luckily for her, the audience had been too preoccupied with the massive sea creature before them to notice her.

Over the speakers, the announcer’s voice blared out again. “Fillies and gentlecolts,” he said, “for your viewing pleasure, the Beast of Pintada Bay!” The unicorn with the trumpet once again raised it and blew a short blast. The creature looked down at him for a moment, before moving back, away from the shore. The creature lowered itself in the water slightly, before bursting back up like a rocket, leaning into a backflip. When its hind end finally cleared the water, Sunset saw that it had a large, vertical, fish-like tail. The creature landed headfirst, plunging through the water like a hot knife through butter. The impact churned the water, sending out huge waves that crashed against the shore.

Sunset could only sit and stare wordlessly at the sight, her frazzled brain struggling to make sense of it all. A huge sea creature, the likes of which she had neither seen nor heard of. A small seaside town that was using it to put on a show for tourists. And a mysterious musician, who seemed to be able to summon and control the creature with the power of his notes. If she had not been living it, Sunset would have thought the whole thing sounded too fantastical to believe. And yet, there she sat, watching as the unicorn continued to play, the creature continued to swim and leap, and the crowd continued to applaud the spectacle before them, all underneath the fading light of the setting sun.