• Published 13th Apr 2020
  • 3,386 Views, 62 Comments

The Name of Our Mistakes - ObabScribbler



Luna's descent into Nightmare Moon could have been stopped by the ponies around her.

  • ...
7
 62
 3,386

7. Flowers

Celestia could not believe it. Two weeks had passed and they were no closer to finding the Elements of Harmony. She had been down to the broken chamber more times than she could count, often just standing in the midst of the devastation, hoping to hear their whispering in her mind, but to no avail.

She stood on her balcony, eyes closed, reaching with her magic across the heaven to pull the sun towards the horizon. It had been getting more and more difficult as the days passed and the Elements remained missing – not because her magic was affected, but because she had lost heart. The combined reputations of herself and Luna would be enough to keep their enemies at bay but eventually they would realise that Equestria’s greatest defence was gone. What then? Would King Sanguine of Gryphona order his griffins to once more invade? Would the mysterious white bears of the frozen north try their luck too, now that the Crystal Empire no longer stood in their path? Celestia felt surrounded by enemies and knowing that she no longer had the Elements had stretched her nerves to breaking point. At all times she appeared the figure of greatest authority and confidence to her citizens but Princess Celestia, Sunlight of Equestria and Its Guiding Light was frightened that the magic of two alicorns would not be enough to defend and entire nation, even if Luna had been at full strength.

As if on cue, she heard her sister’s voice. Opening her eyes, Celestia looked down to see Luna walking below with a small yellow earth pony. She recognised the earth pony as one of those from the gardens, though she couldn’t recall her name. Something to do with flowers, wasn’t it? Astonishingly, Luna laughed at something the little yellow mare said, making her blush the same shade of pink as her hair.

Celestia watched as they passed by, talking animatedly. She had not seen Luna look so happy in … actually, she couldn’t remember how long it had been since she had seen Luna smile that way. It gladdened Celestia’s heart, if only a little.

Luna had withdrawn even further from her after the loss of the Elements. Every night, without fail, she would raise the moon, don her armour and fly off with her guards to search anew for the culprit. At first Celestia had done likewise each day, until the minutiae of running a country intruded and she was forced to leave the search to her sister while she dealt with what seemed like endless paperwork and appeals from ponies. For three hours a day she held the Sun Court and listened to their woes, solving those she could, giving advice and referring them to ponies who could help wherever necessary. Apparently Luna’s complaints that ponies did not do the same during the Moon Court had actually been advantageous, since it left her free to continue the search.

As Celestia looked on with the tiniest of smiles, Luna pointed to a clump of what looked like weeds growing between two stones in the castle wall. The little yellow earth pony shook her head and spoke earnestly, waving one hoof for emphasis. Luna nodded like she was paying rapt attention, glanced at the weed and said something else. The little yellow earth pony shook her head again, pulling a face and they moved on, still talking as the sky darkened above them.