• Published 13th Apr 2020
  • 3,363 Views, 62 Comments

The Name of Our Mistakes - ObabScribbler



Luna's descent into Nightmare Moon could have been stopped by the ponies around her.

  • ...
7
 62
 3,363

25. Pity

Celestia held herself steady against her own grief. A princess did not cry, even when she was sad. A princess definitely did not break down and bawl like a foal who wanted her mother. A princess had to be strong so that the ponies around her could absorb her strength and be strong too. That was the weight of a crown.

She glanced briefly at Luna beside her. Dark-eyed, wearing a cape to hide missing patches of fur her all but naked wings, Luna still managed to look every inch a princess. Though it was midday and she had been awake all night, she held her head high and didn’t let her sorrow overtake her. It was not usual for the Sun Court and Moon Court to be held together, but Luna made it seem perfectly natural for both thrones to be occupied at the same time. Celestia could do no less and sat straighter, swallowing back her tears.

Clover the Clever was dead.

His heart had failed, the physicians said, a common cause of death in ponies of advancing years. He had mentioned that he had never before cast the spell he had attempted on their behalf, and he hadn’t known whether it would work, nor whether there would be any side-effects. He had brushed off any reservations that it was dangerous when explaining the reasons behind the four candles. Celestia had been so elated that he might find out where the Elements of Harmony had gone, she hadn’t pushed him for details. Now guilt struck her like a hammer on hot metal in the ironmonger’s forge. She was convinced she had sent Clover to his death and would never forgive herself for it.

The rest of Castle Everfree was not so reserved in its mourning. Clover was not only a famous mage, he was one of the founding ponies. His death was unexpected and devastating. Though he held no political power, there was a sense that some of the heart of Equestria had been torn out and everypony felt it. His funeral was to be a massive event, attended by representatives from all three pony races across all the provinces.

The Sun Herald and Moon Herald blew their trumpets on either side of the audience chamber. Both Celestia and Luna looked up to see a startling white unicorn coming towards them, escorted by a tall, blond stallion who supported her as she walked. Her mouth and eyes were bracketed by wrinkles but her beauty was unmistakable. Her mane and tail fell in silvery ringlets that were natural, not the product of age. Upon her head she wore a crown of coloured glass that represented the best craftsponyship of her province.

“Presenting her lesser highness, Princess Platinum of the Unicornia Province!” announced the Sun Herald.

“And her son, his lesser highness, Prince Goldenmane,” announced the Moon Herald.

Celestia stood, waited for Luna to do likewise and descended the royal dais slowly so that they would reach the ground together. “Platinum,” she said, her voice a mixture of warmth and sympathy. “It has been a long time. Wouldst that this meeting could happen under more auspicious circumstances.”

“Indeed, Celestia,” Platinum croaked. She had never had trouble dropping the ‘princess’ and treating both alicorns as if she was their equal. “’Tis a sad day indeed for all Equestria. Clover was a good pony.” She swallowed as if she had a lump in her throat. “And a good friend. Though his travels led him away from Unicornia more often than not, I shall miss him greatly.”

“This is thy son?” Luna asked. “I do recall that when we saw him last he was naught but a runny-nosed colt.”

Celestia was a little shocked at Luna’s phrasing. So were Platinum and Goldenmane, judging by their expressions, but they overcame it admirably. Considering how apt Platinum used to be at reading insults into everything, she had clearly mellowed over the years. Either that or grief had softened her sharp edges.

“The years do pass far too swiftly,” she said. “Though not for thee. Thou art as lovely as when I was but a young mare planting a flag in a snowdrift.” She smiled at Celestia and only wavered a little when giving the same smile to Luna. “Thy rule shall be long and glorious, methinks. Though Equestria hath suffered a great loss in Clover the Clever, I thank the heavens for thy reign.”

“Thy words are most kind,” Celestia replied. “Wilt please thee to be shown thy rooms now? Thou hath travelled far and would surely like to rest.”

“Indeed,” Platinum agreed. “Age hath withered me, if only a little. My beauty fades a smidgen with every passing season and my strength with it, though I would have crawled on my belly to be here now.”

Celestia smiled. No doubt Platinum had travelled to Castle Everfree in a carriage drawn by the strongest, handsomest ponies in her province, and would have screeched at the thought of getting mud on her hooves, much less her belly. Still, it was the thought that counted.

“We do thank thee for thy attendance, Platinum and Goldenmane,” said Celestia.

After an awkward moment, Luna seemed to remember she was supposed to say something too. “Yes. Indeed. We do thank thee.”

As the two unicorns were led out, Celestia took the opportunity to extend one wing and draw Luna close in a hug. Luna seemed surprised as Celestia dipped her head and nuzzled her as she had once done in a cave when they were grieving for their parents and friends.

“Death is a great leveller, dear sister,” Celestia whispered. “It sharpens us to what is of true importance in life. Know that I love thee, Luna.”

“Yes. Indeed,” Luna replied. “I love thee too, Celestia.”