• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 2,854 Views, 121 Comments

Caught in the Act - Doom Trot



Ponyville is in uproar because of a certain mischievous filly. (Yes, it's Diamond Tiara)

  • ...
9
 121
 2,854

Held captive.

Frustrated and irritated, the mob that had stormed the Everfree marched out of the woods, murmuring amongst themselves. Their leader, however, said nothing as he trudged along. His glowering gaze sweeping for any trace of Rainbow Dash or Applejack, the stallion breathed sharply, as a predator on the prowl would.

"Fluttershy pulled the wool over our eyes!" complained somepony from the back of the mob. "I bet she's in league with them!"

This was met with a chorus of agreeing grunts.

"There's no telling where Rainbow Dash could be by now!" shouted another. "She's too fast to chase!"

The horde's leader came to an abrupt stop, a few busily chatting ponies bumping into him as the others came to an uneasy stop.

"What's going on? Why have we—"

"Shh!" hissed the leader, quieting the commotion amongst the horde. Squinting into the darkness, he said quietly, "Carrot Top."

"Yeah?" whispered the mare as she worked her way to the stallion's side.

"Still have that rope?"

"Sure do," Carrot Top answered, holding out the coil.

"Good." he said. "Sleek."

"What's up?" she asked, taking to the air to escape the huddled group.

"Come over here and look where I'm looking," the leader ordered.

Sleek landed beside him, squinting into the darkness as well.

"See her?" he asked.

"Yeah. What's the plan?" Sleek asked.

"Think you can tie her up without waking her?" he levitated one end of the rope over to Sleek with his magic, which she grabbed in her teeth.

"Can do!" she answered with a nod.

"Alright, Carrot Top and Sleek," said the leader. "Get over to that bush without making a sound, then tie Rainbow Dash's wings and legs." The stallion glanced to each of them with a stern look, then asked, "Can you handle that?"

"We're on it!" the two exclaimed (quietly of course), immediately heading for the bush with the rope stretched between them.

"How did we miss that?" mumbled a random mob goer.

"We're just lucky we caught her napping," said the horde leader, chuckling to himself. "Napping."


"Ah, there she is!" Twilight exclaimed, darting for Diamond Tiara.

As Rarity and Twilight approached, Diamond Tiara sneered at them, hissing, "What do you want?"

Rarity put a hoof to Twilight's shoulder to stop her from saying anything, answering in her stead, "We have a few questions for you, dear."

"I'm busy, so buzz off!" Diamond Tiara snapped, turning away from the two and beginning to run off.

Hurriedly circling around to meet the filly head on—Twilight staring coldly without moving from her spot—Rarity said, "Oh, we won't take five minutes of your time. We just need to ask you about—"

"I told you, I'm busy!" interrupted Diamond Tiara, Rarity's strained smile now falling into a slight scowl. "Maybe you're okay with loudmouth mares wasting your time with stupid questions, but I have more important things to do! So, if you'll kindly get out of my way..." She glared at Rarity, who didn't seem keen on obeying her order, adding, "As in right now!"

"Now you listen here, you little brat! I—" Rarity stopped herself when she noticed that she'd pressed her nose against Diamond Tiara's. She drew away, clearing her throat in a very ladylike manner, then continued, "We would appreciate it very much if you would allow us but a moment of your time."

Diamond Tiara shook her head, then held up her nose and closed her eyes, very pompously declaring, "I don't have to if I don't want to."

She remained like this, her upper lip stiff and all, until her signature tiara gently floated away from her head. She opened her eyes, looking puzzled, then patted her mane. Looking up with a gasp, she jumped for her precious tiara, only for it to jerk away before she could seize it. With a growl, she leapt for it again, the tiara darting out of her grasp once more.

"Twilight, what are you doing?" Rarity asked, glancing from Diamond Tiara to the smug Twilight with a look of disapproval.

"You've got your way, I've got mine," Twilight answered in earnest, beginning to sidestep Diamond Tiara as she continued jerking the tiara out of her grasp. "Tell Apple Bloom to meet up in town square. We'll be there when she arrives."

"Must you be so... cruel?" Rarity asked as she watched Diamond Tiara grow increasingly more frustrated with each fruitless bound.

"This isn't cruelty," Twilight reasoned. "This is just Diamond Tiara getting a little exercise."

"Give me that tiara!" Diamond Tiara shouted, snapping at the floating headpiece as a piranha jumping out of water would snap at dangling hooves.


"Ah'm really glad ya decided t' help us out," Apple Bloom said as she trotted alongside Silver Spoon.

"Normally I would have refused, but Diamond Tiara has gone off the deep end this time," Silver Spoon said bluntly, focusing a stern glare forward.

"How'd ya find out anyway?" Apple Bloom asked. "They was so secretive 'bout the whole thing."

"Diamond Tiara and I overheard that one dragon talking about them," answered Silver Spoon.

"Ya mean Spike?"

"Yeah, Spike. He was telling that crazy party pony about what he'd seen."

"Ya mean Pinkie Pie?"

"I'm not good with names, okay?" Silver Spoon said, shooting Apple Bloom a scowl, then looking forward again. "After that, Diamond Tiara practically shouted what she'd heard up and down the streets. Everypony within earshot caught wind of the rumor."

"That's easy enough t' figure out," said Apple Bloom, "but ah'm not quite sure how she managed to stir up all this 'witchcraft' nonsense."

"To tell the truth, I don't know how she did it either," Silver Spoon admitted, her gaze turned to the ground. "Come to think of it, I didn't know she was even capable of making such a big mess on her own."

"Well, obviously she is," Apple Bloom observed with an irritated roll of the eyes.

"I guess she is," said Silver Spoon, turning her gaze forward again and asking, "So where are we headed?"

"The library," Apple Bloom answered, nodding to the building as it came into view. "C'mon inside."

The two of them trotted through the door, which Apple Bloom was puzzled to find already open.

Once inside, Apple Bloom shouted, "Applejack!" She waited for a response, but received none. She called again, "Applejack?"

Apple Bloom searched frantically in the lobby, loft, and kitchen. She opened the backroom, glanced inside, cocked her head in confusion, then slammed shut the door.

"Something the matter?" Silver Spoon asked as Apple Bloom nervously paced to and fro.

"This can't be good," she mumbled to herself.

"What can't be good?" Silver Spoon asked, adjusting her glasses as she frowned at Apple Bloom.

"How could they find 'er?" Apple Bloom said, shaking her head.

"What are you talking about?" Silver Spoon asked, her brow furrowed as she took a step toward Apple Bloom.

"Oh, poor Applejack. Who knows what they're gonna—"

"Apple Bloom!" shouted Silver Spoon as she put a hoof to Apple Bloom's chest, halting her pacing. "Just calm down and tell me what's going on."

Apple Bloom glanced to Silver Spoon's hoof, the slightest bit of red in her cheeks, then drew away from her with a weak cough, saying, "Right. Ya see, on account o' them 'witch hunters,' Rainbow Dash and Applejack are being chased everywhere. Ah don't know what they're fixin' t' do, but ah know them angry mobs is hogtyin' 'em and draggin' 'em off."

"Good grief," Silver Spoon mumbled, placing a hoof on her forehead. "How barbaric can you get?"

"That's why we need t' put a stop t' this," Apple Bloom said, a desperate look in her eyes. "Ain't none of this is fair fer Applejack or Rainbow Dash, and they can't defend themselves."

"Well, I'll vogue for them, but don't there have to be ponies to tell the truth to before I tell them the truth?" Silver Spoon asked.

"Yeah, but first we're gonna need ya standin' right beside Diamond Tiara; she can't be lyin' once ya turn the tables on 'er," Apple Bloom answered.

"Okay. Where is she?" Silver Spoon asked, glancing about the library.

"Uh..."

"Apple Bloom! There you are!" Rarity exclaimed as she burst through the door. "I see you've brought along Silver Spoon. Come! Twilight is leading Diamond Tiara to the town square." She nodded to the door.

"Ya didn't happen t' see Applejack on yer way here, did ya?" Apple Bloom asked despairingly.

"What?" Rarity asked in return, shooting Apple Bloom a perplexed look.

"She ain't here. Ah think the mobs got 'er," Apple Bloom's ears drooped as she looked to Rarity with a hopeful grin.

"I... did not," Rarity said apologetically, biting her lip as she glanced to the door, mostly to escape the sorrowful look in Apple Bloom's eyes. "I'm sure she'll be fine. We'll gather the good ponies of Ponyville in the town square, inform them of the truth, and then they'll undoubtedly set free your sister."

"Alrighty," Applebloom said with a nod. "Let's mosey on over t' town square."

She began for the door, staring firmly ahead without another word. Silver Spoon started after her, Rarity following behind as she closed the door with her magic.

"At least I hope everything will work out so well..." Rarity whispered to herself as the two fillies picked up speed, too far away to hear her.


"I must say, I'm impressed," began the leader of the mob as he looked down at Applejack, who only glared back with bared teeth. "You managed to take down eleven of my associates and injure five others single-hoofedly. I've never seen anyone fight like that."

"Ya'll are monsters!" Applejack yelled, struggling at her ties. "Tyin' us up like we done somethin' awful!"

"Because you have done something awful!" Sleek retorted, grimacing as she tried to flash her wings, agitating the one Applejack had sprained in the chaos. "Practicing such vile magic in good conscience is beyond criminal. It's evil!"

"Didn't I already tell you that we never tried any stinking voodoo magic?!" Rainbow Dash snapped, attempting to break the rope that held down her wings. "We're innocent!"

"Yeah, right!" shouted Carrot Top, her bruised lip twitching as she glared down at the two. "We saw two victims of your sorcery! They're living proof of your dark deeds!"

Applejack scowled at her for a moment, then whipped Carrot Top's fetlock with her tail. Carrot Top jumped away with a yelp, growling at the earth pony as she stepped beside the leader of the mob.

"Enough," he said, holding up a hoof.

He looked to Carrot Top with a scowl, who quickly stepped away from their captives, then looked to Applejack and Rainbow Dash with a stern gaze.

"There is still one acolyte that roams free," he said, focusing a glare on Rainbow Dash, who returned the expression ten fold. "The one called Scootaloo. Where is she?"

"You expect me to know?" Rainbow Dash asked, blowing a stray lock of mane out of her face. "Go find her yourself."

His glare seemed to intensify, then his horn began to glow softly. The ropes circling Rainbow Dash's middle took on the same glow, which seemed to puzzle Applejack and Rainbow Dash both.

"I'll ask once again. Where is she?" he asked. His question was monotonous, but his expression was purely adamant.

Rainbow Dash glanced up to him with a curious expression, then shook her head, saying, "I'm not answering that."

The faintest sound of ropes straining could be heard. Rainbow Dash blinked, looking to the rope that the mob leader was magically manipulating.

"I shall ask... a third time," said he, his glowering glare now downright menacing. "Where is she?"

"What are you going to do? Strangle me?" Rainbow Dash asked arrogantly, as if the notion were humorous.

In response, the ropes made a more audible straining noise, Rainbow Dash coughing weakly as the breath was forced out of her. She gasped frantically, the mob leader grinding his teeth as the glow of his horn brightened.

"Where is she?" he demanded for the fourth time.

"For Celestia's sakes, she don't know!" cried Applejack. "Let her go!"

The stallion's angered eyes rested on Applejack, his horn still glowing, then he released his magical grip on the pegasus. Rainbow Dash gasped more deeply than before, then panted quietly as she squeezed shut her eyes. Applejack glanced to Rainbow Dash, then looked to the stallion.

More disbelievingly than angrily, she asked, "What is wrong with you?"

The stallion stared at her solemnly for a long moment, then turned away, announcing, "Seeing that these two will not reveal the location of the acolyte, we must find young Scootaloo on our own." He pointed to Carrot Top, saying, "Carrot Top, you lead half of our remaining associates on a search of the northern half of town."

Carrot Top nodded, a good portion of the still conscious ponies following her as she turned and began for the north of town.

"Sleek," said the leader, nodding to the pegasus, "despite being grounded as you are, I believe you are still capable of leading the rest of our group in searching Ponyville's southern half."

"What will you do?" she asked, unable to avert her gaze from Rainbow Dash.

"I'll stay here and attend to those who were felled by Applejack."

"Alright," she said, turning and departing with her group as Carrot Top had.

The group leader busied himself with checking up on the unconscious ponies of the mob, Applejack and Rainbow Dash both glaring at him in silence.

"Oh, he's going down!" breathed Scootaloo from a distance. She had watched the entire interrogation without being seen, and she was enraged by it. With no regard for how outmatched she was, Scootaloo jumped from her hiding place and charged the lone unicorn with a monstrous roar.