• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 2,853 Views, 121 Comments

Caught in the Act - Doom Trot



Ponyville is in uproar because of a certain mischievous filly. (Yes, it's Diamond Tiara)

  • ...
9
 121
 2,853

Angered by a distorted truth.

Fluttershy watched as the mob came storming her way, her legs shaking as she forced a smile.

"Do you know where Rainbow Dash or Applejack is?" asked the stallion leading the mob.

"Um... Did you not see Rainbow Dash in the sky?" Fluttershy cleared her throat, her cheeks already starting to hurt from how broad she'd made her smile.

"Nope. She's nowhere to be seen in the skies above or around Ponyville."

"Did you try looking in the Everfree Forest? I'm sure she'd end up hiding there if she couldn't fly away," Fluttershy said, mentally cursing herself for sounding so unconvincing.

"The Everfree Forest! Of course!" the stallion proclaimed. He nodded to Fluttershy, then darted off, the horde of ponies close behind.

With a sigh of relief, Fluttershy collapsed onto her hind quarters, looking to the bush she was so casually keeping watch over.

"Okay, Rainbow Dash. It's safe to come out now," she said to the bush.

Rainbow Dash poked her head out of the bush, scanning the area to be sure that it really was safe, then leaped out of it, saying, "Thanks, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy nodded, saying, "First they were just making fun of you, but now they're chasing you like you've done something wrong."

"Yeah, but why? It's one thing to tease us, but now there are angry mobs on the loose?" Rainbow Dash shook her head, scowling in the direction of the Everfree Forest. "I can't wrap my head around it."

"It's probably best that you stay hidden, Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy suggested, nodding to the shrubbery Rainbow Dash had been hiding within. "You'll be safe until this blows over."

"'Blows over?' I was waiting for things to 'blow over' when I was getting laughed at and called names." Rainbow Dash said with a scowl. "Now a bunch of ponies are bent on catching Applejack and me and doing Celestia knows what with us, and you expect me to just wait it out?"

Rainbow Dash was perfectly adamant, but her tone didn't seem to deter Fluttershy's stern expression.

"Rainbow Dash, you can't deal with this yourself," Fluttershy insisted, putting a hoof to Rainbow Dash's shoulder. "Stay out of sight, and we'll get to the bottom of this in no time."

Rainbow Dash sighed, glancing to the shrubbery and murmuring, "I don't like this."

"I don't like this either, but getting yourself caught is the worst thing you can do," Fluttershy said, rueful as can be. "Don't worry; whatever it is Ponyville is upset over, Twilight, Rarity, and I will clear your names."

Rainbow Dash donned an acute grin, nodding appreciatively.

"Alright, just let me know when the coast is clear; I don't want to stay in that bush all day."

"You bet!" Fluttershy said, turning and spreading her wings. "I'll be back before you know it!"

She took off, Rainbow Dash breathing a quiet sigh before hiding inside the shrubbery once again.


"What do you suggest we do?" asked Rarity, keeping vigilant watch through the library window. "We don't even know why the town is after Applejack, let alone how we're going to resolve the issue."

"Resolve? Ah'll tell ya how we resolve this," declared Applejack, stomping a hoof. "A pair o' hooves to a few jaws oughta straighten 'em out!"

"Now, now, I'm sure the good ponies of Ponyville can be reasoned with," Rarity said. "There's no need to resort to violence."

Applejack grunted her disapproval, tossing her head and pacing in circles as she murmured unintelligibly.

"What's gotten into them, anyway?" Twilight asked, flipping through a book titled, "The Art of Stealth."

"First they was just makin' fun of Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Why are they chasin' 'em around like this?" Apple Bloom asked in conjunction with Twilight's question.

Rarity rolled her jaw, a sharp eye kept on a lone bystander who wandered the streets just outside as she said, "I can't say for certain. I would guess a perversion of the currently existing rumor has led them to believe that Applejack and Rainbow Dash have done something heinous. Criminal, even."

"That doesn't make any sense," began Twilight, her gaze not deviating from her book. "From what I've read about gossip, the facts don't get twisted that quickly unless they're deliberately tampered with by the gossiper."

"Are you suggesting that the state of things was instigated?" Rarity asked, squinting at the bystander as he stopped to chat with another bystander.

"Maybe, but who would want to do something like this to Rainbow Dash and Applejack?" Twilight asked, then stopped rapidly flipping through the book, now intently reading over the pages she had stopped on.

Apple Bloom's eyes widened, the filly suddenly acquiring a contemplative look on her face. She whispered to herself, "Wait a minute..."

"Gilda, perhaps? I'm certain that ill-tempered griffin is still nurturing a grudge against Rainbow Dash," Rarity suggested, enticing a shake of the head from Twilight.

"Don't you think Gilda would be more focused on Pinkie Pie? Prior to storming out of Ponyville, Gilda and Pinkie were seriously at odds," Twilight argued, Rarity nodding her agreement.

"True. What about the Flim Flam Brothers? I'm sure they still have something against the Apple family."

"Perhaps, but wouldn't they go after the whole Apple family, rather than just Applejack?" Twilight reasoned, putting a hoof to her chin as she read.

"Well, that there mob was gatherin' at mah doorstep and yellin' at Big Mac. I'd say that's goin' after the Apple family," Applejack said, enticing contemplative nods from both Rarity and Twilight.

"It don't seem right, though," Apple Bloom began, Applejack casting a puzzled glance her way. "Them Flim Flam Brothers would just rig up another fancy machine and take another shot at Sweet Apple Acres, and Gilda don't seem like a crafty one."

"She has a point," Twilight said, glancing to Apple Bloom, then resuming her reading as she continued, "Despite their confrontations with Applejack and Rainbow Dash, neither the brothers nor Gilda would get back at them with something so indirect. The instigator must be somepony else."

"Whoever it is, they can expect a mouthful o' hoof!" angrily shouted Applejack.

"Hush, Applejack!" Rarity implored, her gaze nervously darting from the pair of ponies outside to Applejack. "Do you want those two ponies out there to hear you?"

Applejack responded with a harrumph, continuing her pacing and mumbling.

Apple Bloom stared out the window that Rarity kept watch from, then asked, "If we find whoever stirred up this nonsense, do ya think it'll help Applejack and Rainbow Dash?"

"Well, I suppose if you could get them to admit they were lying, then the rumor would deescalate, but we don't know where to start looking," Twilight answered, snapping shut the book with a groan.

Apple Bloom rubbed at her chin, then said, "Actually, ah have a hunch."

"A hunch?" asked Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack in unison.

Applebloom nodded, trotting to the door as she said, "Wait here. Ah won't be long."

She was quickly out the door, leaving the three mares dumbfounded in her wake.


"It's just so easy!" Diamond Tiara declared as she paraded the streets of Ponyville, giggling with glee. "Those gullible idiots will believe anything!"

"I'll say," said Silver Spoon, stopping Diamond Tiara in her tracks.

"Well, hello, Silver Spoon," Diamond Tiara said coldly. "Decide to ditch Twist?"

"Diamond Tiara, it's one thing to get back at the Cutie Mark Crusaders for a harmless prank, but this is going too far."

Silver Spoon circled around Diamond Tiara, donning a stern expression as her friend glared at her.

"As if! Scootaloo will be buried alive by this. She won't have a leg to stand on when those mobs catch her," said Diamond Tiara.

All the while, Diamond Tiara kept her nose upturned, looking as snooty as possible.

"Last I checked, those ponies were going after Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Why would they want to get their hooves on Scootaloo?" Silver Spoon took a step toward her friend, a scowl now present on her face.

"It's simple, really. I just had to stretch the truth a little, mention Scootaloo, and then—"

"Hey!" Interrupted a filly from out of nowhere.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon both looked to Apple Bloom in surprise, the filly bearing a look of fury as she asked, "Ya done been stretchin' the truth, have ya?"

Diamond Tiara rolled her eyes, making a shooing gesture with her hoof as she hissed, "Buzz off!"

"Nah. Ah don't think so," said Apple Bloom, lowering her head. Her appearance changed from furious to menacing. "Start talkin', or this'll get real ugly real fast."

Diamond Tiara scoffed, arrogant as can be as she said, "Spare me. If you want to help your flightless friend, go throw yourself in front of that raging mob. Might slow them down."

"Just what in tarnation did ya tell 'em, anyhow?" Apple Bloom growled, aggressively pawing the ground.

Diamond Tiara shrugged, casting a devilish grin Apple Bloom's way as she answered, "Just a little white lie, really."

Apple Bloom snorted, turning her scowl to Silver Spoon, who immediately averted her eyes from Apple Bloom's gaze.

"If ah find out Scootaloo's got one feather outta place on account o' yer meddlin', ya can count on a world o' hurtin'."

She turned and charged away in a seemingly random direction.

"Oh, I'm so scared!" Diamond Tiara said mockingly, then proceeding to giggle evilly, "What a loser!"

Silver Spoon sighed, turning and walking away.

"Yeah, good luck with the whole 'evil scheme' thing. I'm going home."

"Silver Spoon, stop!" commanded Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon glancing back at her with a puzzled expression as she came to a halt. "Why have you been avoiding me since school got out today?"

Silver Spoon shook her head, continuing on her way.

"Better get to work on that assignment, which I know you haven't started."

Diamond Tiara stood speechless as Silver Spoon walked off without another word. When Silver Spoon had disappeared from sight, she screamed a shrill scream, then glared in the direction Silver Spoon had gone. She breathed a ragged sigh, then turned abruptly and stormed off.